• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

other stuff

Yeah, I haven't really been getting wards early, except maybe one level to actually ward the jungle when it feels like a gank is coming. They seem far too weak early game so it just gives them free gold, anyway? I really like them late game, but early on they seem mostly useless. (I haven't played a solo lane with him, yet.)

In other news, I successfully carried as Weaver, yet again. Best score so far. The other team never bought dust or a gem, though, so it didn't feel as good as it sometimes does. I still get my Radiance too late. Sacred Relic at 25 is my average. ): DEM LAST HITS.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still say the only reason we won is that twice they let me live the half second long enough to cast both Guardian Angle and the Pipe of Insight, after which we are all unkillable and I heal everyone up. Would of taken one more auto attack both times to kill me before enigma's Ult wore off.

Yeah they liked to focus me on Enigma's ult for a while, but I'd always Skoochy or Time Lapse out as soon as it ended. Eventually they wised up and focused other people, but by then it was too late, and we were winning again. U:

kazabi

I agree, if you're in a suicide lane then wards early are ok. but 1v1 or 2v2, I wouldn't ever use it.

1v1 wards will work if it's a pushing team, then it's pretty good since it will either get you towers or will force more players in their team to come and defend.

Kapura

Banned
Hmm? His knowledge is very much appreciated, your undertones of condescension are not :p
rc2rd.jpg

Welcome to Dota.

Kapura

Banned
1v1 wards will work if it's a pushing team, then it's pretty good since it will either get you towers or will force more players in their team to come and defend.

If you're going for a push strat, you have to go all in to get towers early (<5 minutes for one or two first-tier towers). If you're not doing that, you are giving the other team to farm up against you. If that's what you're doing, wards are OK, otherwise you would be much better served by the orb and gale.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

So you might be able to kill the tower in your lane, but what does it leave you with as a hero? You've got much lower ganking potential, if your opponent catches you out of position away from your wards you have two level 1 skills to defend yourself with, if you go to push another lane you have to sit there and ward up, giving the other team time to get there. It's not like rhasta rolling in and dumping a big pile of wards instantly and the tower getting dropped.

Outside of your ultimate your early teamfight presence is next to nothing with ward build as well. Building the other way you can just bully your opponent out of lane and push anyway, and it leaves you with much more powerful skills for ganking and team fights. The extended range leveling up gale makes a huge difference if nothing else.

Swag

Outside of your ultimate your early teamfight presence is next to nothing with ward build as well. Building the other way you can just bully your opponent out of lane and push anyway, and it leaves you with much more powerful skills for ganking and team fights. The extended range leveling up gale makes a huge different if nothing else.
Not to mention that Gale (3) / Poison Sting (2) / Poison Nova (1), will absolutely kill any hero of equal or lower level in the early game, assuming they don't have ridiculous defensive items like Hood, makes Venomancer super deadly if they try to defend any towers that get pushed or if your defending.

Why is my ping around 180-200 right now when it used to be 90 before? Bot and normal matches on europe server with same ping. A 0.5 sec delay is not fun :(

kazabi

So you might be able to kill the tower in your lane, but what does it leave you with as a hero? You've got much lower ganking potential, if your opponent catches you out of position away from your wards you have two level 1 skills to defend yourself with, if you go to push another lane you have to sit there and ward up, giving the other team time to get there. It's not like rhasta rolling in and dumping a big pile of wards instantly and the tower getting dropped.

Outside of your ultimate your early teamfight presence is next to nothing with ward build as well. Building the other way you can just bully your opponent out of lane and push anyway, and it leaves you with much more powerful skills for ganking and team fights. The extended range leveling up gale makes a huge difference if nothing else.

If you go push strat, you'll want the early level and then gather up with your team to push. Rank 1 & 2 wards are pretty bad, so getting level 5 is good. It's not your job to be the real ganking damage, you'll probably have chen for the damage and gale doesn't get better slow with higher rank. Getting ganked shouldn't be a problem if you play safe until you gather up with your team.

ksan

Huh, "removes mana costs and cooldowns for spells"

So like Mirana can arrow you infinite number of times and you can never miss as you can throw out infinite number of arrows out? if so WTF!

Ye.
and shit like Zeus standing in fountain and perma ulting.

kazabi

Huh, "removes mana costs and cooldowns for spells"

So like Mirana can arrow you infinite number of times and you can never miss as you can throw out infinite number of arrows out? if so WTF!

There is still casting time, so you can't really throw arrows that fast, but hit one and you got yourself a perma-stun. Spamming zeus ulti is a little bit safer if you want to kill them all.

EDIT: ksan...

deleted

Its been a few days since I played my last match, so gave lich another try tonight.
I think I finally got him to the point. 12/1/17 - my best game so far. Is there a way to save replays of practise matches? I don't think they are shown in the "recent games" area.

khuezy

Would you be willing to coach me on Pudge? I've much to learn from you on the art of self-denial.

I'm the best pudge in the world.

Some tips:
Turn rot on/off for last hits if you failed to do so with your autoattack.
The hook range is very slow but long, you have to play with him to understand how to predict hooks.
Fake hook: Hook and immediately press s. If your opponent is trying to juke your hook, you can fake hook him and move closer and closer as he's trying to dodge them. Remember to complete the hook when he's stuck in a corner or given up his juke.

Sibylus

Banned
Time to cut muh losses.

Also, I can't get over how horrifically stupid teammate bots are. Was only able to salvage a double raxing by prolific usage of Ancient Apparition's ultimate to lane push. At least they were intelligent enough to follow in a pushed bottom lane and claim a set of barracks of our own (I could only contribute the ult, had to stay put to keep the megacreeps away from the ancient towers). Megacreeps chiseling away at their last ancient tower induced their entire team to TP back to base (whilst right on our front steps), which is puzzling but I'll take it. A human team with half a set of brains would know that they'd win the race with ease.

MrKnives

Time to cut muh losses.

Also, I can't get over how horrifically stupid teammate bots are. Was only able to salvage a double raxing by prolific usage of Ancient Apparition's ultimate to lane push. At least they were intelligent enough to follow in a pushed bottom lane and claim a set of barracks of our own (I could only contribute the ult, had to stay put to keep the megacreeps away from the ancient towers). Megacreeps chiseling away at their last ancient tower induced their entire team to TP back to base (whilst right on our front steps), which is puzzling but I'll take it. A human team with half a set of brains would know that they'd win the race with ease.

I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Sibylus

Banned
In that game, I would. So much farm and damage that our last ancient tower and our gathered team would have at best been a speedbump (they could safely ignore our last T3 and set of barracks). Wouldn't take a rocket surgeon to put two and two together.

Hylian7

I've tried Mirana a couple of times. Her skillshot seems definitely takes some getting used to, but I think with more practice I can get it down. I'm also not completely sure when to use her ultimate. Otherwise I really like her though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Life bars have disappeared for me, anyone know how to get them back? Cant see a button in the controls.
It's a bug at the moment. Your best bet is to ask for a pause and restart the client.

2th

Banned
Finally got to play after midnight this morning. Only did one game, but christ the UI is trash for this game. There is so much going on that doesnt need to be there.

Also having played League of Legends since their early closed beta i must say i hate the minimap and map in DOTA 2. In LoL they are so much brighter and easier to identify things on. DOTA 2 is trying too hard to just make a graphical update of DOTA and i dont really see any real improvements for the genre.

Hylian7

Finally got to play after midnight this morning. Only did one game, but christ the UI is trash for this game. There is so much going on that doesnt need to be there.

Also having played League of Legends since their early closed beta i must say i hate the minimap and map in DOTA 2. In LoL they are so much brighter and easier to identify things on. DOTA 2 is trying too hard to just make a graphical update of DOTA and i dont really see any real improvements for the genre.

I don't get why everyone hates the UI compared to the other games. Am I the only person that likes the new UI?

Neki

you also hate denying, amirite? LOL.

also, use mirana's ult during team fights, or when you want to save someone. remember there is a fade time though

kagete

I hate the UI too. The minimap has some neat ideas but poor execution. HON's map is better overall but I like the unique icons for allied and enemy heroes. Too bad only one is directional, as it would be nice to be able to see enemy movement with a quick glance of the minimap.

2th

Banned
you also hate denying, amirite? LOL.

also, use mirana's ult during team fights, or when you want to save someone. remember there is a fade time though

I dont hate denying really. I do hate my own lack of familiarity with the timing of stuff right now. I could not last hit for shit with Lich. Like i couldnt farm at all.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Why are you be farming with Lich anyway?

The UI isn't the greatest and I'd imagine they'll be working on it, don't have any major issues with it at all to be honest.

DOTA 2 is trying too hard to just make a graphical update of DOTA and i dont really see any real improvements for the genre.
That's pretty much the point of the game, improve the graphics and fix some of the issues that (I'm assuming) were caused by using the War3 engine. They've said before that at the moment they want to get the game to the same level as Dota and then they'll look to change.

Stole and changed this slightly from the dev forums, add to your autoexec.cfg
// Spectre Script
alias specHon "dota_ability_execute 3;dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias specDota "dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias normal "bind r specDota; bind o spectre;"
alias spectre "bind r specHon; bind o normal;"
bind o "spectre"

// Puck Script
alias puckHon "dota_ability_execute 3;dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias puckDota "dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias normal "bind r puckDota; bind p puck;"
alias puck "bind r puckHon; bind p normal;"
bind p "puck"

Press O or P when you start the game as Spectre or Puck and you can press R and Q to move to an illusion/your orb. Seems to break if you hit your bind to turn it on, so put it on something you'll never press by mistake.

kagete

The UI isn't BAD by any means, it's just that we've seen better from competing and similar games. It really screams "beta" at this point and is pretty basic for even a first attempt from a company with a big enough budget as Valve's. It's virtually unchanged from when we first saw it months ago too when people were competing for a million $ with an earlier, buggier, build.

Part of this being a beta, I think they either haven't finetuned their netcode yet or haven't weeded out the laggy server hosts yet. I think it's more of the latter as I can get some really great lag-free games but sometimes we'd get on a server that stutters or flat-outs disconnects certain people.

Sliver

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but what's a good hero for someone with little-to-none MOBA experience? I played a single game as Anti-Mage and had fun but felt very weak.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't forget Crystal Maiden and Zeus. Ugh
Yeah, them too.
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but what's a good hero for someone with little-to-none MOBA experience? I played a single game as Anti-Mage and had fun but felt very weak.
Drow Ranger, while squishy, is very easy to play.

Skeleton King is another simple hero.

Taborcarn

Stole and changed this slightly from the dev forums, add to your autoexec.cfg
// Spectre Script
alias specHon "dota_ability_execute 3;dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias specDota "dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias normal "bind r specDota; bind o spectre;"
alias spectre "bind r specHon; bind o normal;"
bind o "spectre"

// Puck Script
alias puckHon "dota_ability_execute 3;dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias puckDota "dota_ability_execute 4;"
alias normal "bind r puckDota; bind p puck;"
alias puck "bind r puckHon; bind p normal;"
bind p "puck"

Press O or P when you start the game as Spectre or Puck and you can press R and Q to move to an illusion/your orb. Seems to break if you hit your bind to turn it on, so put it on something you'll never press by mistake.

By dev forums do you mean the playdota forums? Is there a guide to this type of scripting?

EDIT: nevermind, found the link to the forums in the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom