• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Been very apparent that it was going to be Lycan, Sylla, and then Brew for a few weeks now.

Part of the reason I haven't fucked with Chen is that I'm absolutely terrified of having to micromanage multiple units to the degree of having to select the unit, then use their skill, then click back on my own hero. This seems even more scary.

I assume I'm thinking about this wrong and that there must be an easier way to do this? Can you assign hotkeys to controlled units and their skills?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Luna and Medusa got WIP textures this patch.

Part of the reason I haven't fucked with Chen is that I'm absolutely terrified of having to micromanage multiple units to the degree of having to select the unit, then use their skill, then click back on my own hero. This seems even more scary.

I assume I'm thinking about this wrong and that there must be an easier way to do this? Can you assign hotkeys to controlled units and their skills?

You can assign control groups to the pets and use said hotkeys for them. Ofc I'm trash with Chen so my advice isn't the best.

How can you guys think valve should be adding more than 1 hero per week?

League of Legends is usually adding one new hero every 2-3 weeks on average, Valve is already pushing them out 2-3 times faster. Granted the heros are already created from the original DotA, but they still need to be modelled, and have the appropriate mechanics for their abilities.

Then, there is balance testing, DotA 2 is not exactly the same as DotA 1 due to a different engine, they need to make sure that the hero's balance didn't get messed up from the switch, and testing 1 new hero at a time is much less confusing than balancing five of them at the same time.

How can anyone expect Valve to pump out heros 4-6 times faster than an equivalent game? One hero per week is already an amazing pace I think.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Milkman: Now bots are better teammates than 99% of GAF IHers.

Haly

Next IH you should just ask to turn on bots and leave all your teammate slots empty.
No it's just that I see this pop up with every single patch, just sharing my thoughts on the subject.
They're prioritizing Hero releases right now, although I'm sure they're working on other stuff in tandem. But with 30-40 more heroes and only 1 or so hero a week, it'll take a year before the game catches up to DOTA 1.

A lot of us have old favorites we're waiting to see in the game and it's frustrating to see Valve progress at this snail's pace.

How can you guys think valve should be adding more than 1 hero per week?

League of Legends is usually adding one new hero every 2-3 weeks on average, Valve is already pushing them out 2-3 times faster. Granted the heros are already created from the original DotA, but they still need to be modelled, and have the appropriate mechanics for their abilities.

Then, there is balance testing, DotA 2 is not exactly the same as DotA 1 due to a different engine, they need to make sure that the hero's balance didn't get messed up from the switch, and testing 1 new hero at a time is much less confusing than balancing five of them at the same time.

How can anyone expect Valve to pump out heros 4-6 times faster than an equivalent game? One hero per week is already an amazing pace I think.

I think valve should add all heroes that are viable picks in the professional scene and heroes that aren't up for a revamp, then put out a release candidate.

Once Dota 2 has reached parity with Dota 1, I think that they should add heroes at the same rate they were added in dota 1. They shouldn't add heroes just for a quick buck (assuming they end up selling heroes, which I doubt), every hero should be a meaningful addition to the game. I think a handful of heroes every few months would be enough for me as long as they continue to balance the old ones.

For the people that want a draw besides actually having fun playing the game, the item system should be that draw. No need to have a hero factory.

Haly

Is their a way to auto-make control groups? So I don't have to make a new one each time I get a new unit to control?
With some skills, the game will remember your control groups. For example, if you bind Lycan's Wolves to 4, and those wolves die, when you summon a new pair they will be automatically bound to 4.

This doesn't apply to all skills though.
The engine differences are not that great, although bugs are continuously a problem. Balance, however, is not a problem, since Icefrog is still doing his usual balance work on DOTA1. In fact, the longer certain heroes are not found in DOTA2, the more imbalance there will be because his balance work assumes all hero picks are available.
Riot has to go through design as well as balance, whereas Icefrog has a huge pool of designed, balanced, scripted characters just waiting for code porting and new models/textures/voice work, greatly reducing the development time.

That and releasing one hero every two-three weeks is as much as business move as it is a practical one. By staggering the hero releases, they give players time to buy the latest shiny thing before they introduce a newer shiny thing.

Valve, on the other hand, is not looking to sell DOTA's heroes. They know they can't afford to do so without also cutting off development of DOTA1, and even then there's nothing to stop someone from just taking up Icefrog's mantle and following the balance patches of DOTA2, or worse, splitting the community by differentiating.

1332880365890j2lm7.png

I bet dollars to donuts Brewmaster is the next hero.

Phantom Lancer.

Uriah

With some skills, the game will remember your control groups. For example, if you bind Lycan's Wolves to 4, and those wolves die, when you summon a new pair they will be automatically bound to 4.

This doesn't apply to all skills though.

Is there a list somewhere that names all the skills that work? Do shadow shaman's wards work this way?

Exuro

Is their a way to auto-make control groups? So I don't have to make a new one each time I get a new unit to control?
How do you even set control groups? All I can figure out is tab switches between lone druid and the bear.

EDIT: nevermind, shift did the trick.

Conceptor

Next IH you should just ask to turn on bots and leave all your teammate slots empty.
So basically he gets 4 bots who can balance hero picks, ward and follow his every ping? @_@

There's definitively new music added now. 99 % certain.
Yeah, I don't know if they've done more this week but I noticed on the regular client that the ambient bgm changed when smoked and when attempting to Rosh (not 100% certain about this one). Was really cool

Haly

Is there a list somewhere that names all the skills that work? Do shadow shaman's wards work this way?
No, although with those you could just turn on "CTRL for alternate units" without losing anything because they can't move and only attack.

Haly

Wednesday -> Test
Thursday -> Live

Calm your beards people, Valve time is still in effect.

Guesong

Spirit Bear is bugged.

If it has a Stout Shield (or any matter of damage reduction on him), and you level him up, Stout Shield will cease working if you don't drop it then pick it up again. Same with Quelling Blade I suppose.

And why are my Wildsoul strats not working goddamn this bear is trash

Exuro

Never played dota1 but is this a bug? When you max out true form and change you can put points into druid form. Tried it out and ended up with 2 points missing in a random spell.

Artanisix

Never played dota1 but is this a bug? When you max out true form and change you can put points into druid form. Tried it out and ended up with 2 points missing in a random spell.

Yea you should probably report that

And why are my Wildsoul strats not working goddamn this bear is trash

the hell are you trying to do?!

There's definitively new music added now. 99 % certain.

Yeah I noticed that. It's REALLY nice.

Fuck pre-defined roles. I know I have an unpopular opinion but I come from a time when that shit wasn't really figured out yet. In my time, there were suggestions but none of this "oh you're lycan? go fucking jungle", "oh you're witch doctor? buy wards and chickens n be our bitch" "oh you're XXXX go do YYYY"
Fuck everything about that. Why don't I play my character how I want to play him and you can play him how you want to play him? I don't know... there was this freedom, where you were basically role playing in a way so that, in theory, you could make almost any build work with any character. If, and I do realize it is a big "if", the game is truly balanced, you should, in theory, be able to build your character in almost any number of ways. Some would work better or be easier to pull off than others but the builds were not set in stone like I see people play today. The way people play now, they are so tied to their pre-determined roles. They put themselves in this box that wasn't around back when I played a lot.
Admittedly I am nowhere near pro, nor do I care for or watch the real pros. These are just observations of how I see people play now. A while back I noticed some people going fucking crazy over a picture of a pro that apparently went all battle furies. I thought that was fucking amazing. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about that you used to see. I'm glad at least some players still approach the game with that mentality. Most online pubbers, however, might as well be playing character skill and item load-outs. I refuse to cave in to this new mentality.
TL;DR + My point: I don't care how you build your character, as long as it's working.

Haly

I'll be honest. It's a pretty annoying seeing people try "unique builds" when they clearly don't have the skill to pull it off. Because if they can't pull it off then they're pretty much dead weight, and DOTA is, regardless of how you choose to play it, a team game. And in pubs, it's generally assumed that everyone is a moron until proven otherwise.

I'm sure if I went Midas Lich in a pub I'd get flak for it, but not in an IH because I have a clear grasp of who I'm up against and whether or not certain outlier builds are viable.

On one hand, I want to say "ignore the cookie cutter copying pubbies and do your own thing", but on the other I want to say "you should make some concessions for the sake of your team, even if they're dicks about it, wards win games after all".

Really varies from situation to situation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Meepo's Suggested item build:

"itembuilds/npc_dota_hero_meepo.txt"
{
"author" "Valve"
"hero" "npc_dota_hero_meepo"
"Title" "Recommended items for Meepo"

"Items"
{
"#DOTA_Item_Build_Starting_Items"
{
"item" "item_ring_of_protection"
"item" "item_branches"
"item" "item_branches"
"item" "item_tango"
"item" "item_flask"
"item" "item_flask"
}

"#DOTA_Item_Build_Early_Game"
{
"item" "item_ring_of_basilius"
"item" "item_boots"
}

"#DOTA_Item_Build_Core_Items"
{
"item" "item_power_treads"
"item" "item_mekansm"
"item" "item_vladmir"
}

"#DOTA_Item_Build_Luxury"
{
"item" "item_pipe"
"item" "item_ultimate_scepter"
"item" "item_blink"
"item" "item_sheepstick"
"item" "item_reaver"
"item" "item_assault"
}
}
}

Sylla's Lore:
Long before the first words of the first histories there rose the druidic Bear Clan. Wise and just they were, and focused in their ways to seek an understanding of the natural order. The arch forces of nature saw this, and so sought the most learned among them. Wise old Sylla, clan justiciar and seer, stepped forward for his kin, and to him was given the Seed with these words: ‘When all of the world has dimmed, when civilization has left these lands, when the world is slain and wracked by the endless deserts at the end of ages, plant the Seed.’ As he grasped his trust, Sylla felt his years recede and his vitality returned. Vast knowledge burst into his mind. He found himself able to project his very will into reality and, with some concentration, alter his own physical form as well. Yet subtle whispers and cruel ears brought word of the Seed and its power to other peoples, and a terrible war crashed upon the Bear Clan. As his ancestral home burned, Sylla took his burden and fled to the wild places. Ages passed, and time and myth forgot the Bear Clan, forgot Sylla and the Seed, forgot wondrous civilizations that rose and fell in Bear Clan’s wake. Through the eons, Sylla has waited, waited for word from his deities, waited for peace to come to the ever warring realms, waited in exile and in secret for the end of all things and for the conclusion of his sacred commitment, preparing himself always to face and destroy whatever would dare threaten his purpose

Some new Strings for the lobby area:
“ui_teammatchmaking” “Team Matchmaking”
“ui_teammatchmaking_status_desc” “Waiting for team members to enter team matchmaking…”
“join_error_in_team_party” “Unable to join practice lobby. You must disband your team party before joining practice games.”

Team related stuff:

“dota_profile_mini_team_party” “TEAM MEMBERS”
“DOTA_TeamInviteAccept_Success_Message” “Congratulations! You have joined %s1. You will now be able to view your team in the SOCIALIZE tab as well as participate in TEAM MATCHMAKING!”
“DOTA_TeamCreate_Error_TeamLimitReached” “You have created and disbanded too many teams. The number of teams an individual may create is currently limited to prevent abuse.”
“DOTA_TeamDisband_Confirmation_Message” “Do you wish to disband %s1? You will not be able to undo this action! (A user will have a limit of only creating and disbanding a total of 5 teams at this time)

“DOTA_DisbandTeamButton” “Disband”
“DOTA_LeaveTeamButton” “Leave”
“DOTA_Team_Created” “HAS BEEN CREATED!”
“DOTA_Team_Created_Desc” “You can now start inviting teammates to join your team via contextual menu by clicking on a player in your Dota Friends list.”
“DOTA_Team_Invite_Accepted” “has accepted your team invitation!”
“DOTA_Team_Invite_Accepted_Desc” “New team members will appear in the ‘Manage Team’ area under the Socialize tab.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_AlreadyMatch” “Your team is already in a match.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_AlreadyFinding” “Your team has already started finding a match.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_Full” “Team party is already full.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_FailAdd” “Failed to add you to team party.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_FailAddCurrent” “Failed to add you to current team party.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_FailedTeamMember” “Failed to get team member information.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_AlreadyGame” “Unable to start team matchmaking, you are already in a game.”
“DOTA_TeamMatchmake_FailGetParty” “Failed to get current team party.”
“dota_create_team_error_no_logo” “You haven’t set a team logo. Please set one now.”

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
And 90% of the time it doesn't work. Keep your silly builds out of my games, please.

Exactly.

You aren't gonna get the same items every game. It all depends on the enemy team's lineup. But, if you're playing a support hero, your team will expect you to support.

Tenck

Predetermined strats are there for a reason; It's what's almost always good for the class.

If you want to be Witch Doctor and be a carry, by all means do so. Just don't expect any sympathy from us when it goes the wrong way.

Exactly.

You aren't gonna get the same items every game. It all depends on the enemy team's lineup. But, if you're playing a support hero, your team will expect you to support.

But Dazzle is a carry.

Jokes aside*, I once had someone rip into my throat when I went phase boots on Tiny, because it didn't subscribe to his notion of the perfect (and, in fact, the only viable) build for Tiny. It's not even like phase is bad on Tiny, either. Just, this guy had his mind set on one very specific cookie-cutter Tiny build and refused to accept any other. And a lot of heroes are more versatile than people give them credit for being. So I can totally empathize with the idea that people need to shut the fuck up and open their minds a little bit.

*I'm not joking.

Artanisix

Predefined roles are good when the game has evolved so much. It gives players a good starting point to look at and play around with. It's OK to do builds that are outside of the box, but it's on you to make them work. Take Swift's semicarry Lina for instance. You have a lot of people who go lolwtf armlet on Lina r u coolhwipped? But I'm thoroughly convinced now that Lina is most effectively played as a semicarry instead of a support.

If you can make it work, go for it. And realize that some items will simply never belong on certain heroes. If I see a desolator on Zeus, I might just kill myself.

On a side note, Lone Druid sounds like a less pissed and much older version of Lirlond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom