• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha Released - Custom Maps and Mods

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/so_the_workshop_tools_isnt_just_a_modding/

Everything in this package is a new game. It's all the Dota assets and code ported over to Source 2. That's why Hammer is different. That's why the console is different.

Guys. Valve just soft launched the entire Source 2 engine.

EDIT: Because people are asking for proof.

Everything that would share a name with Source is named '...2'. That's 'engine2.dll', 'vconsole2.exe', 'vphysics2.dll'.

When you go to open a map in Hammer, it asks for .vmap files. One of the other options is '.vmf (Source 1.0)' files.

The fucking console is redone.

There is a new Key-Value like format (that i'm gonna call KV2). It is type safe. It looks like this: http://pastebin.com/RVQtkv1j

EDIT2 (Probably the strongest evidence): That script also allows for different dlls to load and render different assets (vmaps are rendered by worldrenderer.dll, etc). This is a completely new architecture from Valves previous system. This bit alone would indicate a significant amount of engine work has been done to split these bits out of the engine and into their own libraries. That means the engine is also completely plug-and-play with new engine level components if valve creates them for different games. This is pretty freaking huge.

EDIT3: lol, source2 apparently support fax machines.

EDIT4: from /u/nellody: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/3/35/Tileset_new_outliner.png notice the 'source2' in the path.

That guy seems to be biting off a lot straight off the bat. Any reason to believe he'll deliver on any of it?

I think he's been in the business for a while now and might also have a team? I'm just relaying stuff I see :p

Sibylus

Banned
Some of this stuff is really simple. Set up the cost + recipe stuff of one of my items (detailed here) without touching any lua. This is all plaintext scripts:

i5gJoNZXBxZxL.png
iZuNyb8MYbql3.png

Later found the plaintext scripts for human-readable names and descriptions. Looks like I'll be able to all of the ability modding stuff without actually getting into lua.

Skubastew

Neo Member
im so fricken happy! even though i already play a shit ton of dota i played way more custom maps back in the day. LETS GOOO HERO SIEGE

Now I haven't booted up Dota in a while but is there some kind of custom game list ala Warcraft 3 they added into the standard Dota 2 menus?

If not, how exactly do I get my hands on these mods (and also find other people to play them with)?

domlolz

Banned
Now I haven't booted up Dota in a while but is there some kind of custom game list ala Warcraft 3 they added into the standard Dota 2 menus?

If not, how exactly do I get my hands on these mods (and also find other people to play them with)?

the ability to play these custom games with dota 2 will be added soon-ish (maybe with the techies update so end of this month)

Pikelet

What will bring this to the next level is an asset ecosystem. Having worked in the Starcraft 2 editor, i feel like the sci-fi art style was very limiting in the kinds of looks you could go for with a map without dabbling in 3d modelling.

If Valve could somehow provide an incentive for the creation and sharing of assets and code, they could have a real winner on their hands. I've always believed that the Blizzard RTS custom map community is an untapped fucking gold mine of great ideas and innovative game mechanics that mostly goes unnoticed.

There is so much more to the mapping community than Tower Defence games and Dota clones, I just hope that Valve can succeed where Starcraft 2 failed.

What will bring this to the next level is an asset ecosystem. Having worked in the Starcraft 2 editor, i feel like the sci-fi art style was very limiting in the kinds of looks you could go for with a map without dabbling in 3d modelling.

If Valve could somehow provide an incentive for the creation and sharing of assets and code, they could have a real winner on their hands. I've always believed that the Blizzard RTS custom map community is an untapped fucking gold mine of great ideas and innovative game mechanics that mostly goes unnoticed.

There is so much more to the mapping community than Tower Defence games and Dota clones, I just hope that Valve can succeed where Starcraft 2 failed.

In theory the workshop could do this. Someone could spend all their time creating different crates and just upload them to the workshop for custom mappers to subscribe to and use in their maps. It's certainly possible. The incentive to do so would be some sort of revenue sharing in however they monetize the custom games for creators (the cs go model of hosting some rotating "featured" ones on official servers for a paid for ticket seems the most likely).

Also while the workshop has come under a lot of fire the last few months for visibility issues and user friendliness, it's still already leagues better than the abomination that was sc2 user games. That was a mess that you'd have to try really hard to intentionally recreate.

Pikelet

In theory the workshop could do this. Someone could spend all their time creating different crates and just upload them to the workshop for custom mappers to subscribe to and use in their maps. It's certainly possible. The incentive to do so would be some sort of revenue sharing in however they monetize the custom games for creators (the cs go model of hosting some rotating "featured" ones on official servers for a paid for ticket seems the most likely).

Also while the workshop has come under a lot of fire the last few months for visibility issues and user friendliness, it's still already leagues better than the abomination that was sc2 user games. That was a mess that you'd have to try really hard to intentionally recreate.

I quite like how they feature user created content in CS GO at the moment. Featuring user created maps in the official map pool rotation is a great way to let people see them.

Perhaps a custom game mode with a rotating pool of maps is the way to go. The equivalent of an operations compendium could be sold that gets players involved for a small fee. That way profits could be distributed to map and asset creators based on their popularity in that 'season'.

I'm not sure how I feel about straight up charging for maps, however.

syko de4d

With the new Unreal Tournament with its open sourced engine and support for custom maps/mods and now dota2 with its custom maps and mods i can see myself playing more mods in the next years than i have ever done.

The next years will be glorious for Community created content with UE4 and Source2 :)

DizzyCrow

I don't play Dota 2 but love the art style, so I will keep an eye on these new games if something cool appears. I'm on a crappy laptop right now, it runs Dota 2, so it will be able to run the mods too right?

first update

Fix for a crash when loading a map in Hammer on certain AMD processors
Fixed a crash caused by entities being spawned inside the addon init functions
Disabled bots in addon games for now to fix crashes related to bots trying to use invalid abilities
Fix for a crash when opening the map manifest widget in Hammer
Fix for crash when attempting to import a map with a tile grid in it as a prefab
Replaced “TakeDamage” function with “ApplyDamage” in script interfaces and added damage types and flags

http://store.steampowered.com/news/14104/

syko de4d

Funny

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2d27fc/its_time_to_deliver_magma_chamber_project/

A few years ago, Riot announced a new 5 vs. 5 Map called Magma Chamber. The LoL Community were pretty hyped and excited, but Riot decided to cancel the Project and started working on the Dominion Gamemode instead. LoL's Community were extremly disappointed and the Dominion Gamemode wasn't really crowned with success. Riot recently released a 1 vs. 1 Version of the Magma Chamber, but it's far away from the actual Project and looks pretty boring. I think the Concept behind the original Magma Chamber is pretty cool, you can find the Artwork here.

Anyway, i decided to add the Magma Chamber to one of my upcoming Projects, but first at all i will release my Heroes Alley, Skywrath Heaven and Nightsilver Woods Maps. In the meantime i will try to organize a good team for the Magma Chamber Project. I already have 3 or 4 People who are probably interested, but we need some more for such a big thing.

Before people start talking about Copyright violation, the only copyrighted thing is the Artwork, but to avoid Drama the Map could be renamed into Phoenix Chamber for example.

The development progress:

1. Find a Team
2. Rebuild the Magma Chamber with Hammer's available Assets
3. Start Coding
4. Start working on custom Models, Textures, Particles etc.
5. Replace old Assets with the new ones
6. Maybe design new Neutrals

Basic Concept:

5 vs. 5 Players
3 Lanes
3 Towers on each Lane
10 Neutral Camps
Phoenix as boss on Dire Side. Drops Aegis and gives a debuff that makes it much harder to kill Elder Titan.
Elder Titan as Boss on Radiant Side. Gives a buff like Omniknight's Ultimate and a debuff that makes it much harder to kill Phoenix.
Broodmother as Neutral on both sites. Gives a attack modifier that slows enemy heroes.
2 Runes are randomly spawning on 4 possible rune spots
(Maybe) No wards
Custom Items which are required to kill or summon Phoenix and Elder.

Image of Neutral, Boss, Runes and Brood Locations

If you have any feedback or ideas let me know. Message me if you are interested in joining the Team. Let's do this, not only for us, but also for our beloved League of Legends friends!

//edit

Started working on a Barebone Prototype. Credits goes to ferisii

http://i.imgur.com/CuALlaZ.jpg

from couple of days ago, another update

Exposed GetTimeOfDay and IsDaytime to script

Fixed trees disappearing when collapsing tiles in Hammer

Fixed crash when importing VMF files into Hammer

Fixed context menus in fullscreen console

Fixed Hammer crash when selecting the tile-grid tool after a long undo history

Fixed ToolScriptManager interface error message on start-up

Fixed crash with missing models in addons

Fixed a crash when loading a map in Hammer while loading a map in game

Fixed crash when selecting undo/redo in Hammer and Particle Editor when no active session

Fixed issue where GetModelName returned an empty string to script

update:

Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha Update - August 15th, 2014
Product Update - Valve 14:23
Added additional entities to improve custom game creation

New entity "dota_custom_game_events" added

New entity "filter_dota" added

New entity "point_simple_obstruction" added

New mesh entity "trigger_dota" added

When placing an "npc_dota_base" entity in Hammer the unit type can now be selected and previewed

Creeps and neutrals have been grouped into prefabs for easy drag and drop placement

Added a new template addon "adventure_example" to demonstrate usage of the new entities

With the most recent Steam update, the Steam Beta Participation requirement has been removed

Fixed a number of connection issues when playing and connecting to custom games

Fixed crash when loading a map while viewing a showcased hero

Entity "point_worldtext" now respects the color field

Fixed issue where models placed in Hammer would sometimes appear in the wrong pose

Fixed bug with modelscale not working properly with custom units

Fixed crash when a script called FindEntityByName with a nil entity name

Fixed crash when opening the hero loadout

Fixed an occasional crash when leveling up abilities in custom games

Video settings are now saved (except texture quality)

Fixed a crash that could occur when changing video resolution

Skinpop

is anyone here using the tools? I'm trying to learn, currently stuck on how to properly use the paint to to blend terrain textures. I know you can collapse tiles which allows you to pain on them, but I can't get the blending of different materials to work.

K3v1

Neo Member
Does anyone know when/if Custom Maps will be implemented as a standard feature (aka playable with strangers/possibly even matchmaking)?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Does anyone know when/if Custom Maps will be implemented as a standard feature (aka playable with strangers/possibly even matchmaking)?
Probably as soon as they have a few decent ones to launch with it. It could be as early as this week, considering we're due for a big Dota patch before the end of August - if not then probably sometime in the new couple months.

Likely not for a few months, Valve released the tools themselves in alpha state, which means they're not even feature complete yet much less properly debugged. They'll likely have a completely separate closed beta phase for the client end software/ui

So, how's this doing? Any meaningful updates since? Or has this also slowed down to crawl like their other projects? Anything cool from the community? I feel like there was a bit of buzz when it turned out this was Source 2 and then it just fizzled out.

So, how's this doing? Any meaningful updates since? Or has this also slowed down to crawl like their other projects? Anything cool from the community? I feel like there was a bit of buzz when it turned out this was Source 2 and then it just fizzled out.
They have updated a few things here and there, but the full release won't be out until next year.
Dota 2 blog said:
As we mentioned in September, there are a number of features in the works for Dota 2 that we’re really excited to share with you. Among them is a major improvement to Dota 2’s engine that we are aiming to release in the first half of next year. One of the main features in this engine improvement will be the ability to rapidly create entirely new game modes. You’ve seen some of this work with the Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha that began earlier this year. In the past, our Diretide and Frostivus updates contained game modes that were very time consuming to build and maintain, and would need to be rebuilt from the ground up after the release of the engine update.
http://blog.dota2.com/2014/12/future-changes-frostivus/

I know that, but this still requires 64 bit Win and D3D11 GPUs? It's been a while since August. Things are really progressing slow it seems. It's almost suspicious.

Suspicious?

That maybe things going all that well? Supposedly this engine's and its tools been in development since 2010 and with OGL in mind, yet 4 years later and 4 months after its soft launch it's still tied to D3D and a lot of mappers aren't even that impressed with it compared to other engines. At this point I'm just not expecting much.

Well it all depends on how many people are working on this exactly.

Yeah...probably not a lot...

Hopefully that l4d2 remasterer rumor was true

It's been ported to S2. Is it going to be re-released as such? No one knows. Probably not, since L4D3 is (probably still) a thing and slated for who knows when...

Sliver

That maybe things going all that well? Supposedly this engine's and its tools been in development since 2010 and with OGL in mind, yet 4 years later and 4 months after its soft launch it's still tied to D3D and a lot of mappers aren't even that impressed with it compared to other engines. At this point I'm just not expecting much.

According to a recent blogpost, we can expect this + Source 2 ("engine improvements") next Spring.

What rumor? Link?

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758999
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759039
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124454579&postcount=533

According to a recent blogpost, we can expect this + Source 2 ("engine improvements") next Spring.

But I already know that and responded to it. Also Valve's word is meaningless. Valve Time and all...

Top Bottom