• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine's "Devs Play" S2E05: Media Molecule and LBP

Devs Play S2E05 · "Little Big Planet" with Media Molecule

This was a cool video. It is part of Double Fine's "Devs Play" series in which devs visit Double Fine and play one of their games and discuss the creation of said game. In this episode, Media Molecule with Double Fine's Tim Schafer play LittleBigPlanet and discuss it's creation. One thing really stuck out to me. A comment came up about people making Brutal Legend levels and Alex from Media Molecule joked about cease and desists. Then he said something that really surprised me. Early on in LBP, there was a fear that a lot of the created content would genuinely face cease and desists from companies. However, Alex said that (despite not wanting to name the company) a major Japanese publisher "whitelisted" the creations and said they thought it was cool what people were doing with their properties and gave their blessing. They actually wrote to Sony asking that they did not take down the levels. That has to be Nintendo he was talking about, right? I mean, so many of the LBP levels were recreations of Super Mario Brothers 1-1 (or Mario themed in general).

Edit- The talk about Brutal Legend levels starts here: https://youtu.be/VWA9AXOViGE?t=18m30s

sith23

Neo Member
Whoa, thanks for the heads up. I remember reading somewhere about this, but I completely forgot. Gonna watch.

Nintendo? Bwahahahaa

I really don't know who else it would be. I doubt it was Konami, as very early on they actually partnered with Sony to make official paid content. Square Enix? I don't recall much content based around their IPs. The fact of the matter is LBP was stuffed with Nintendo-based levels that were never taken down.

Ploid 3.0

I really don't know who else it would be. I doubt it was Konami, as very early on they actually partnered with Sony to make official paid content. Square Enix? I don't recall much content based around their IPs. The fact of the matter is LBP was stuffed with Nintendo-based levels that were never taken down.

The only reason I laugh is because of how Nintendo treat youtube videos of their games, even highly positive ones. Maybe it's the Contra and Konami, that was a awesome colab between LBP creators and paid nice homage to the IP.

GeeTeeCee

LBP also eventually received an offical Metal Gear content pack, so that might also suggest Konami were pretty cool with the whole idea. What a difference a few years makes. I can't imagine it being Nintendo.

I love these Devs Play videos. The Psychonauts one is fantastic, watching the Double Fine staff losing it whenever the speedrunner breaks the game.

Top Bottom