• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dracula Origin Movie Starring Luke Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kard8p3

Luke Evans has played a couple of Greek gods and even a musketeer, but now he is about to play the most god-like of literary characters.
In his first starring role for a studio, Evans has signed to topline in Dracula Year Zero, Universal’s dramatic horror movie telling an origin story of the most famous of vampires. (UPDATE: A Universal rep says the film will now be called simply Dracula.)

Michael De Luca is producing the project, which quietly has been greenlighted and hopes to start shooting later this year. Commercials helmer Gary Shore is making his directorial debut on the picture.

Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless wrote the script. Alissa Phillips is executive producing.

Universal, once the home for literature’s most horrifying characters, set the tone for Dracula’s screen image for decades with its 1931 classic. Now, this project hopes to set the tone for the modern age with a historical-oriented origin story.

The script tells of a young prince who, when the lives of his wife and child are put in danger by a bloodthirsty sultan, risks his soul to save them, and in the process becomes the first vampire.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/luke-evans-star-universals-dracula-434729

A movie about the origin of Dracula could be interesting. I've been in a Dracula mood lately so I'm more excited for it than I probably should be.

Do we really have to have an origin story/reboot for EVERYTHING? Next thing you know we're going to get a Jesus origin story movie.

Kard8p3

On a different but somewhat related not NBC has a Dracula mini-series airing this fall. I don't expect good things from it at all but I'll still be watching.

I actually started writing a Dracula origin story last year, but lost the data on a corrupted flashdrive and never bothered picking it back up. I wasn't very far into it, though. Just building an outline. I know pretty much nothing about Dracula outside of movies and pop culture, but it seemed like a fun idea.

It was like part Dracula, part Hamlet, part Count of Monte Cristo.

He started out as a sickly child named Vladimir in a poor village, and ended up selling his soul to the Devil to save his own life. He soon learns that he has to kill and drink blood to stay alive, and although he doesn't want to, his fear of death overwhelms him. He marries and has a child, but there's an attack on the village from an army sent out by a corrupt Count. Vlad's child dies and his wife is wounded and becomes sick. She's dying and he tries to pass on some of his immortality to her but results in her becoming one of the soulless female vampires from the original story. Vlad and his she-demon wife are the only survivors of the attack.

Vlad chains up his wife in a hiding place and goes to the school of black magic that is apparently mentioned in the original book. He wants to learn to restore her humanity, but it's impossible. He instead learns how to shapeshift into a swarm of bats, hypnotize, and other vampire shit. The schoolmaster tells him that he has to abandon his former identity and he takes up the name Dracula, which means the dragon.

With his new identity, he acquires some fancy clothes, a carriage, and other rich people stuff and goes to visit the Count and his family in his castle. He stays with them as a charming guest, but begins to kill off the family and psychologically torturing the Count. He does the same trick he pulled with his own wife on the Count's, making her a crazy-ass demon lady.

Then of course at the end, the Count dies, either by Dracula or killing himself. Either way, obviously Dracula takes his castle and takes on the Count Dracula title. He's got his mindless demon women locked away in a dungeon, and all of his humanity's gone at this point. Then it ends with some ominous thing like how Dracula is expecting guests or wanting something to eat.

Anyway.... I thought it would have been cool. So it'd probably be hard for me to enjoy this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Even though the movie was pretty awful overall, DRACULA 2000 has a great origin for the guy. He is
Judas Iscariot

Came here to post this. It's actually fairly "convincing" too. I wish the movie had been a bit better to support a really neat idea.

I have a cool twist too but I am saving it for a Twilight style megablockbuster.

lmpaler

I'll watch it because I love real vampires and I've been waiting for a movie like this. Don't suck.

Also, Gary Oldman is the Dracula everyone should be compared to.

fucking wack they're going with another dreamy motherfucker

i would like to see a truly creepy dracula film starring this guy:

10158491_ori.jpg

Kard8p3

I'll watch it because I love real vampires and I've been waiting for a movie like this. Don't suck.

Yes Gary Oldman was an amazing Dracula. Like the movie or not you can't deny that he was amazing as Dracula.

It's a great scene, but unfortunately it reminds you how awful the rest of the movie is.

The mirror trap was cool, too.

I can't find it on youtube but there's an extended version of the scene where he talks to Jesus and I always thought it should've been kept in. Really great scene but it is unfortunate that the movie surrounding the scene is horrible.

I actually started writing a Dracula origin story last year, but lost the data on a corrupted flashdrive and never bothered picking it back up. I wasn't very far into it, though. Just building an outline. I know pretty much nothing about Dracula outside of movies and pop culture, but it seemed like a fun idea.

It was like part Dracula, part Hamlet, part Count of Monte Cristo.

He started out as a sickly child named Vladimir in a poor village, and ended up selling his soul to the Devil to save his own life. He soon learns that he has to kill and drink blood to stay alive, and although he doesn't want to, his fear of death overwhelms him. He marries and has a child, but there's an attack on the village from an army sent out by a corrupt Count. Vlad's child dies and his wife is wounded and becomes sick. She's dying and he tries to pass on some of his immortality to her but results in her becoming one of the soulless female vampires from the original story. Vlad and his she-demon wife are the only survivors of the attack.

Vlad chains up his wife in a hiding place and goes to the school of black magic that is apparently mentioned in the original book. He wants to learn to restore her humanity, but it's impossible. He instead learns how to shapeshift into a swarm of bats, hypnotize, and other vampire shit. The schoolmaster tells him that he has to abandon his former identity and he takes up the name Dracula, which means the dragon.

With his new identity, he acquires some fancy clothes, a carriage, and other rich people stuff and goes to visit the Count and his family in his castle. He stays with them as a charming guest, but begins to kill off the family and psychologically torturing the Count. He does the same trick he pulled with his own wife on the Count's, making her a crazy-ass demon lady.

Then of course at the end, the Count dies, either by Dracula or killing himself. Either way, obviously Dracula takes his castle and takes on the Count Dracula title. He's got his mindless demon women locked away in a dungeon, and all of his humanity's gone at this point. Then it ends with some ominous thing like how Dracula is expecting guests or wanting something to eat.

Anyway.... I thought it would have been cool. So it'd probably be hard for me to enjoy this.
this is great

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

no fucking joke. that scene where he cursed god was amazing

temp

posting on contract only
Scratch this. Cast Luke Owens in his big comeback. Make it a sequel to Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom