• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

LuuKyK

I'm like 5-6 hours in, I've done the first 'real' mission, go see Giselle. I've been roaming around the Hinterlands doing...stuff. It's so dense and it's all so god damn pretty. I can't..stop

I am in the same boat. haha

I dont even remember whats the next main quest after Giselle, I unlocked so many sidequests... I guess it is to see the
guy responsible for the horses?

I am so afraid I will get lost with the plot with all this sidetracking. Hopefully not though.

Felspawn

I likle to hang out and get a lot done in the Hinterlands myself but i always make sure to swing by Val Royeoux and the Storm Coast so i can pick up Sera, vivienne and Iron bull asap. Then back to the Hinterlands

Flunkie

Banned
Don't worry, Hinterlands people... You'll get tired of doing the same damn stuff (shards, fetch quests, astrariums, oculariams) in every map soon enough.

PrimeRib_

A lot of you guys that are trying to do every single side quest are probably gonna burn out the same way I did. I tried, and at the Hinterlands I was actually enjoying it. But when I realized that those filler quests are like 95% of this 200 hour game, 60 hours in I started to feel the ware. Now I find myself skipping most minor quests I come past because I just don't give a shit. I hardly give a shit about the main story anymore because all my side questing has disconnected me from it.

Doing every side quest in this game is like drinking a bottle of salad dressing and ignoring the salad. Its not even a very big salad, so why they gave us an entire bottle of dressing is beyond me.

I agree with this, as I'm at 80 hours in and after nearly wrapping up every side quest in Hinterlands, The Mire, Storm Coast, Crestwood and Western Approach, I now angrily pass undiscovered skull posts because I hate seeing more missing shards pop up on my minimap.

Great game, but I needed to pace the story more than just the side quests. If Bioware follows through with Mass Effect 4 on the same engine, they absolutely need to reverse the story/side quest ratio to keep players engaged.

UCBooties

So can anyone explain the tactical camera to me? I played pretty much all of Dragon Age Origins in isometric mode but I just can't seem to get things working in this. Is there any way to queue commands to your party members? My main issue is that I can't order my ranged characters into position and then tell them to use a specific move. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Ralemont

not me
Finished the primary quest chain in that frozen place last night, Empris Lions something something. I actually really liked the relative linearity of that zone, seemed nicely focused and dense, not full of distractions. Probably unpopular opinion: I wish the whole game was more like that. I don't like this new Bioware that sacrifices cinematic engagement and plot structure in favor of open world exploration and "quantity over quality" side questing.

The Emprise and Crestwood are my favorite zones, because they have a more interesting zone quest. Storm Coast is just you killing red templars like in the Emprise, but in the Emprise you have the story of the village and its leader along with
Michel and Imshael, both Masked Empire characters
. So SC is basically a less interesting version of that (story-wise. the zone is awesome to explore and look at). Fallow Mire's quest is too straightforward to be interesting, although the judgment scene of the dad afterwards somewhat makes up for it. The Hinterlands...is just too big. They could have cut off the entire left side of the map left of the mountains and I would have been okay with that. Then the zone would be you starting bottom right and working your way to Redcliffe through the mage/templar war.

Hissing Wastes looks cool but is a fucking waste of time. If it wasn't for the loot I'd never go back in subsequent playthroughs. Emerald Graves is again beautiful but the dungeons and side quests have more interesting stories than the main one. Western Approach has an okay main story (aside from the Hawke/Grey Warden stuff I mean), cool dungeon and Warden keep, but I found it a hassle to traverse. I've read some people saying they love Exalted Plains but the zone is wasted potential to me since it could have been used to flesh out the Civil War more than it did.

Overall the only two criticisms I have of this game are that some zones needed stronger main zone quests that relied less on codices and more on cutscenes, and that companion AI sucks and they need to bring back DA2's.

tcrunch

Don't worry, Hinterlands people... You'll get tired of doing the same damn stuff (shards, fetch quests, astrariums, oculariams) in every map soon enough.

Yeah, it's not that people need to leave the Hinterlands it's that they need to stop doing the quests they don't like and stick to the core quests for each area that have at least a film of story about them delivered by actual talking NPCs.

So can anyone explain the tactical camera to me? I played pretty much all of Dragon Age Origins in isometric mode but I just can't seem to get things working in this. Is there any way to queue commands to your party members? My main issue is that I can't order my ranged characters into position and then tell them to use a specific move. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Well other than the fact it's awful, you can press the Pause button to "unpause" tactical while still being in tactical view. Hold it for a few seconds then release to pause again. It's just all around terrible to play entirely in tactical though, the constant recentering, the lack of multi targetting and the lack of queueing makes it painful to use.

Moff

I haven't been playing long, so regarding the Hinterlands...In terms of the enemies faced/experience gained, is it better to explore as a low level, or should I actually venture out and then come back later?

Honestly I haven't researched much on the leveling/enemy design.

generally, you should just always fight enemies that are more or less your level.

the game does not make that easy though, because apart from the main quest, you do not know what level enemies in a region are, and since you need ressources to unlock these regions, this can be pretty try & error.

it's a serious flaw of the game, because it made me finish 2 regions first, which were too high level and too hard. and I had to do 2 low level regions after that which were too easy then.

TheExodu5

Banned
I agree with this, as I'm at 80 hours in and after nearly wrapping up every side quest in Hinterlands, The Mire, Storm Coast, Crestwood and Western Approach, I now angrily pass undiscovered skull posts because I hate seeing more missing shards pop up on my minimap.

Great game, but I needed to pace the story more than just the side quests. If Bioware follows through with Mass Effect 4 on the same engine, they absolutely need to reverse the story/side quest ratio to keep players engaged.

Shards should have never been in this game. Having a few interesting sidequests being obscured by 30+ shard locations on the map is not the greatest idea they've had.

UCBooties

Well other than the fact it's awful, you can press the Pause button to "unpause" tactical while still being in tactical view. Hold it for a few seconds then release to pause again. It's just all around terrible to play entirely in tactical though, the constant recentering, the lack of multi targetting and the lack of queueing makes it painful to use.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was worried I was missing something. Actually I was kind of hoping I was missing something because I'm playing on Normal and I just keep getting ripped apart during difficult fights. Guess I just need to figure out how to fight smarter.

(Stupid Dragon)

Afrodium

Banned
Should I just be hopping around areas doing whatever quests I want or are there some late game areas that I should avoid by now? I'm level 12 and just went to Emerald Graves but people are saying that's late game?

Also, why can't I find any quests on Storm Coast?

generally, you should just always fight enemies that are more or less your level.

the game does not make that easy though, because apart from the main quest, you do not know what level enemies in a region are, and since you need ressources to unlock these regions, this can be pretty try & error.

it's a serious flaw of the game, because it made me finish 2 regions first, which were too high level and too hard. and I had to do 2 low level regions after that which were too easy then.

Thanks, really good to know. I didn't know if they had some kind of level scaling in place.

Corpekata

Banned
Should I just be hopping around areas doing whatever quests I want or are there some late game areas that I should avoid by now? I'm level 12 and just went to Emerald Graves but people are saying that's late game?

Also, why can't I find any quests on Storm Coast?

Generally you can tell if an area isn't meant for you by the enemy levels.

Emerald Graves is mid to early late game. Hissing Wastes and Empris Du Lion are the late game areas.

dralla

I am in the same boat. haha

I dont even remember whats the next main quest after Giselle, I unlocked so many sidequests... I guess it is to see the
guy responsible for the horses?

I am so afraid I will get lost with the plot with all this sidetracking. Hopefully not though.

I got the horses last night as my last quest, it was a side quest apparently. But it makes traversing much easier, so I'd definitely go for that one ASAP

Ahasverus

How the heck did you finish in 25 hours? just doing the main, companions quests, and avoiding most side stuff I would still be way longer.
That's what my save says,I feel it's been longer yes. I did main missions and enough side stuff to get enough Power to unlock the main story.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was worried I was missing something. Actually I was kind of hoping I was missing something because I'm playing on Normal and I just keep getting ripped apart during difficult fights. Guess I just need to figure out how to fight smarter.

(Stupid Dragon)

Dragons are rough in the early levels(like at level 12 the hinterlands dragon is pretty rough unless you just solo it with certain classes or you have very good preparation). As you level up they get easier and easier though as gear outpaces mob scaling and your skill build becomes complete. Fighting a 20 dragon at 20 is easier than a 12 dragon at 12 in my opinion.

karasu

Hey, did you guys copy come with an instruction book? Mine didn't at all. Please answer so I can determine whether I need to leave negative feedback on Amazon.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Which chests give you the most bang for your buck? I bought a big chest last time and got some really nice armor from it, but I'm not sure if I was just lucky or you can only get the good equip from the bigs?
Ostensibly you'll get the same chances at good stuff regardless of size. You get a lot more chances in a large though. I'll usually go with a large if I've got time to earn enough.

Ralemont

not me
Ostensibly you'll get the same chances at good stuff regardless of size. You get a lot more chances in a large though. I'll usually go with a large if I've got time to earn enough.

Nice. I was running with some friends and if you can finish missions you get more than enough gold. Working together really means a lot more in DA than in ME3's MP, which is exactly what I wanted. I haven't done anything higher than Routine though since that's been challenging enough.

After two and a half grueling hours I finally unlocked the Belle of the Ball trophy. I did an actual fist pump when it popped up on my screen. The mission itself isn't that bad but running around pinging every square inch of the palace looking for coins and all that other bullshit is a slog.

TheExodu5

Banned
I forget the prices...

270 for 1
750 for 3
1200 for 5

Is that right? Medium is nearly as good as large as far as price/item goes.

pixlexic

Banned
I can't leave the hinterlands. Quest keep coming up!

Also finally got big into crafting.

Best crafrom of any game ever!

You can actually produce real custom stuff.

Neoweee

After two and a half grueling hours I finally unlocked the Belle of the Ball trophy. I did an actual fist pump when it popped up on my screen. The mission itself isn't that bad but running around pinging every square inch of the palace looking for coins and all that other bullshit is a slog.

There's so many ways to get that achievement though. You need 100 reputation, but there's, what, 200+ something possible?

I got the achievement getting 12/30 letters, 6 out of 15 coins, and 8 statues.

It's a nightmare for OCD people, but in terms of maxing out the meter, it's quite easy.

My rogue has -199 and around that on all defense abilities (magic, melee and ranged). What's causing that? Is it a game-breaking bug?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Nice. I was running with some friends and if you can finish missions you get more than enough gold. Working together really means a lot more in DA than in ME3's MP, which is exactly what I wanted. I haven't done anything higher than Routine though since that's been challenging enough.

My brother and I, Pons here on GAF, first tried it and it was totally murdering us. We couldn't finish even a single room at first. After he left I went into a random group and gained five levels in one map. Just keep at it and you'll be rolling the hardest difficulty before long.

Skills and gear make a huge difference. I'm really loving this mode. I need to remember about single too, though.

Bessy67

Is there a point of no return in this game, and if so where is it? I just started the quest called What Pride Had Wrought and I'm wondering if I'll be able to go back to exploring before the end game.

tcrunch

Is there a point of no return in this game, and if so where is it? I just started the quest called What Pride Had Wrought and I'm wondering if I'll be able to go back to exploring before the end game.

It's not that quest. You will see some text about ending the game when you get to the final quest.

Footos22

I don't want this game to end. Good thing I'm far from it. Just love the world. Don't like the main characters voice, the combat isn't ground breakingly exciting and the loot could be more rewarding but I really love the over all package.
I'll tell you one thing, I am SICK of charging my PS4 controller from playing this. My God this things charge sucks ass.

My replacement ps4 came and after a full charge, it lasted for 7 1/2 hours according to the game clock. So I know thats accurate. Way better then my year old one which lasts about 4

Teknoman

A lot of you guys that are trying to do every single side quest are probably gonna burn out the same way I did. I tried, and at the Hinterlands I was actually enjoying it. But when I realized that those filler quests are like 95% of this 200 hour game, 60 hours in I started to feel the ware. Now I find myself skipping most minor quests I come past because I just don't give a shit. I hardly give a shit about the main story anymore because all my side questing has disconnected me from it.

Doing every side quest in this game is like drinking a bottle of salad dressing and ignoring the salad. Its not even a very big salad, so why they gave us an entire bottle of dressing is beyond me.

Yup, same problem most recent open world RPGs have. Even Dragons dogma and Xenoblade. Its a hard thing to do, but just try to do a few sidequests that sound sorta interesting, instead of 100%.

Raven77

Any advice on what I should do next?

I am about 60% done with Hinterlands stuff so i'm moving on now. I can go to either the first city on the left side of the map, forgot its name. Or I can go to the Storm Coast or the swamp area with the undead.

I'm a little confused as to which area I should head to next. I think i'm lvl 7 currently.

tcrunch

There's so many ways to get that achievement though. You need 100 reputation, but there's, what, 200+ something possible?

I got the achievement getting 12/30 letters, 6 out of 15 coins, and 8 statues.

It's a nightmare for OCD people, but in terms of maxing out the meter, it's quite easy.

Yeah I got like 15 approval just for my hot qunari dance moves.

Any advice on what I should do next?

I am about 60% done with Hinterlands stuff so i'm moving on now. I can go to either the first city on the left side of the map, forgot its name. Or I can go to the Storm Coast or the swamp area with the undead.

I'm a little confused as to which area I should head to next. I think i'm lvl 7 currently.

Go to the city and keep doing as many main missions as possible to get more companions before you go back to futzing around.

Darklord

Banned
Is there much of the main quest past "Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts"? I don't want to accidentally fall into the end game stretch before I'm ready.

Hristi

I'm level 19 KE and I just started the Abyss one with Hawke. I've never been to the Hissing Waste and EDL too.. I wish the enemies would scale.

Neoweee

I'm level 19 KE and I just started the Abyss one with Hawke. I've never been to the Hissing Waste and EDL too.. I wish the enemies would scale.

They scale within the range of the zones.

Level scaling is a pretty divisive issue. I was under the impression that people tended not to like it in the Huge RPG genre.

jgwhiteus

I've done a bunch of the sidequests, pretty much everything available to me at this point, and I'm way over-leveled for the main story quests. Right now I'm at level 24, and I still haven't gone (Act II spoiler)
to the ball at Val Royeaux for Empress Celene
In the previous story mission I was around level 22, fighting enemies at levels 11-15, and of course I didn't get experience for anything. I ended up fighting a dragon and killed it in less than a minute.

This game can be a drag if you're a "completionist". I like filling out maps, but so many of the maps are (unnecessarily) huge. Like, I appreciate the sense of scale, and the scenery is beautiful, but do I really need to travel five minutes by horse across empty desert (with barely any enemies or mining materials) just to get to the next point of interest? Couldn't they have compressed things a little so it doesn't feel like I'm walking / riding half the time?

I mean, I'm enjoying it but I feel a lot of the content is filler and doesn't really add to the experience, except to irk people who don't like having uncompleted quests in their journals. And especially irksome are bugged / poorly designed fetch quests: "This random item in your Valuables is actually necessary to complete a Requisition quest in a different area, but you won't know that and it's only available from loot caches you've already opened or from enemies that no longer spawn because you've cleared the area."

megalowho

Is there much of the main quest past "Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts"? I don't want to accidentally fall into the end game stretch before I'm ready.
You're not right up against the end, that's about 3/4 of way through the main storyline. The game explicitly says when endgame events will be set in motion and you don't have to rush towards it like in Mass Effect to get the best results.

Ralemont

not me

You have 2 more after that one, 3 if you haven't done Here Lies yet. What I would consider the final stretch (though not the last mission, just the start of OH SHIIIIIT I GOTTA FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS) starts with What Pride Hath Wrought.

Top Bottom