• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

... has there been a patch yet? People were saying "This Week" and I'm not sure if Origin just auto updated it or if there is no patch.

No patch. No one said this week either, only "soon" but we don't know if what Bioware's definition of "soon" is.

Personally I think it's pretty inexcusable that the gender bug and voice bug haven't been patched yet. Those should have been rectified ASAP and not bundled into a patch with a bunch of other things.

Has anyone regretted getting Chaotic Focus as a Knight Enchanter? I don't have it yet because I am afraid that once I get it, if I don't like it, my only choice is to re-spec (not a big deal I know, but I'd rather not).

It's so tempting for the additional damage, but then the barrier is constantly being cut in half.

That's the 'plan'. A few things got added into it.

Also banter bug is apparently a pain in the ass.

No patch. No one said this week either, only "soon" but we don't know if what Bioware's definition of "soon" is.

Personally I think it's pretty inexcusable that the gender bug and voice bug haven't been patched yet. Those should have been rectified ASAP and not bundled into a patch with a bunch of other things.

4dMMkTY.gif

Neoweee

That probably isn't worth haven't ng to stagger QA and prolong the process over a few days speedup to patch 1.

Has anyone regretted getting Chaotic Focus as a Knight Enchanter? I don't have it yet because I am afraid that once I get it, if I don't like it, my only choice is to re-spec (not a big deal I know, but I'd rather not).

It's so tempting for the additional damage, but then the barrier is constantly being cut in half.

No regrets here. Immolate with Chaotic Focus puts in work. I never really run out of barrier either so it hasn't been an issue.

Probably should add I'm playing on Normal though.

So I'm doing the Cassandra-quest at the moment. My next goal is:
travelling to Caer Oswin
. But the marker isn't on the table. What the hell...

edit: oh wow, it's on the world map. This game is fuckin confusing

Have you checked the quick travel world map?

Thank you, that's it.

Teknoman

Same here. I can deal with crashes for the most part (not for too much longer though heh)..., but things that just straight up effect the story in a bad way, no dice.

Same here. I can deal with crashes for the most part (not for too much longer though heh)..., but things that just straight up effect the story in a bad way, no dice.

That's what I"m saying- those bugs caused a lot of people to straight up stop playing the game. Both were identified within a day or two of release but two weeks later and no fix.

Just started playing. Went in not knowing a single thing about the game despite beating (and enjoying) the first two.

The battle system is still as bad as ever, which is the only disappointing part about it for me so far.

So my little party of lvl15's killed their first 2 dragons this evening.

The crestwood dragon was an easier fight than hinterlands but Cassandra and Blackwall both did their jobs brilliantly and didn't die once.

Myself (rift mage) and Dorian (Necro) both died a couple of times due to mishaps with not getting barrier up quick enough.

huxley00

I kinda disagree. For the scope of the game, it really is in pretty good shape. There are some annoying bugs out there, but nothing that out of control IMO.

Got a combat question.

I like controlling my main character, warrior, full time. So I don't ever directly control the 3 other party members. Now, does it make sense to spec into Fire Mine for my mages? Will the AI actually intelligently place the mine in a good spot for the enemies to trigger? I've been shying away from speccing down this path because I just figure the AI is super dumb (and this has been proven through 50 hours of observed gameplay), but the damage potential of Fire Mine seems too good to pass up. Anybody have any experience with how their party mages place Fire Mine?

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, can you help me with something?

I'm loving the game. It runs well framerate-wise, but I've had it crash a few times now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I think it has to do with turning up the settings, but I get these DirectX crashes. This doesn't happen on any other game, just this one. Says something about the game sending a bad command and being hung.

Searched for it but got mixed up results.

KingV

Yeah the voice thing is killing me. My inquisitor looks exactly like Tre from Boyz In The Hood with the high top fade and now sounds like a white Shakespearean orator. Its very jarring after 10 hours or so of the more appropriate voice.

Still haven't played since Tuesday but man, am I feeling the burning desire to play. I'll most likely finish it up tomorrow or so and then either hop to the ten other games I have or do some cleaning up in this.
My main gripe with the whole experience can mostly be blamed on the Keep failing to work. I'm really pissed that certain characters don't have the same world state that I created. Specifically Mid/late game spoilers:
Morrigan.
In line with characters later in the game, what the hell happened to
Hawke's hair? It's abysmal if you go with her default and even if you don't you can't get that cool default hair from II. If you choose default she has a boy cut.

jgwhiteus

Level 22, 80+ hours in, just waiting on the patch so I can do Dorian's story sidequest before finishing the game. :(

I didn't even know there was a bug associated with this until this post - that's what I get for trying to avoid spoilers :/ I read something about it on the Bioware forums, but does anyone know if Dorian's sidequest (spoiler)
where he visits his father in a tavern
is supposed to still be available after (spoiler, Act II-ish)
you've cleared Hawke's mission?
I've already done some War Table quests associated with him and I'm worried I've already missed some window of opportunity.

It's weird, because I've definitely gotten other companion quests to trigger even though I rarely interact with some characters and only have basic approval, but I can't get companion quests to trigger with some party members I should have high approval with.

If it's definitely a bug I might just wait for a patch as well, since I'm at a similar level / time sink, and I don't want to finish the game off without doing those side-quests.

I didn't even know there was a bug associated with this until this post - that's what I get for trying to avoid spoilers :/ I read something about it on the Bioware forums, but does anyone know if Dorian's sidequest (spoiler)
where he visits his father in a tavern
is supposed to still be available after (spoiler, Act II-ish)
you've cleared Hawke's mission?
I've already done some War Table quests associated with him and I'm worried I've already missed some window of opportunity.

It's weird, because I've definitely gotten other companion quests to trigger even though I rarely interact with some characters and only have basic approval, but I can't get companion quests to trigger with some party members I should have high approval with.

If it's definitely a bug I might just wait for a patch as well, since I'm at a similar level / time sink, and I don't want to finish the game off without doing those side-quests.

I told the lady that it was none of our business, did I cancel the mission from happening altogether?

Teknoman

Yeah the voice thing is killing me. My inquisitor looks exactly like Tre from Boyz In The Hood with the high top fade and now sounds like a white Shakespearean orator. Its very jarring after 10 hours or so of the more appropriate voice.

...I need to see this lol.

Xamdou

What is the OP " Leave the damn Hinterlands" means?

Also currently lvl 7 and now I am running out of room for items already!? Seriously my worst part of the original two games.

royox

What is the OP " Leave the damn Hinterlands" means?

Also currently lvl 7 and now I am running out of room for items already!? Seriously my worst part of the original two games.

People (like me) used to stay hours and hours leveling on Hinterlands because "I MUST END ALL THESE QUEST BEFORE LEAVING!!!" and it's not the way the game should be played. People ended up tired of MMORPG-like questing and overleveled a lot making most of the game too easy even in Hard.

About your room problem...go to a Shop and sell shit.

Verger

Banned
Bioware said the patch was currently in QA. But who knows how long it'll take before it is actually approved (no doubt lots of back and forths with bugs and more bugs due to fixes).

And yeah, it seems like the Banter thing is just so inconsistent it's just one of those that's hard to track down. Happens for some and not for others with little to no commonalities between the circumstances.

Hope they at least fixed the Voice change bug when meeting and customizing that person in Act 2.

If this game had liveops then they could make quick patches, but as a traditional game, they have to adhere to the QA protocol that EA has set in place when it comes to making new Versions (1.1, etc.)

mrpookles

Finally got to
Skyhold
after about 30 hours and was stoked that I could finally meet
Hawke
... unfortunately, the game either crashes or the quest doesn't progress every time I've tried to initiate the conversation.

I love this game, but I've encountered a lot of huge issues (gender-bender, etc.).

Dresden

Got a combat question.

I like controlling my main character, warrior, full time. So I don't ever directly control the 3 other party members. Now, does it make sense to spec into Fire Mine for my mages? Will the AI actually intelligently place the mine in a good spot for the enemies to trigger? I've been shying away from speccing down this path because I just figure the AI is super dumb (and this has been proven through 50 hours of observed gameplay), but the damage potential of Fire Mine seems too good to pass up. Anybody have any experience with how their party mages place Fire Mine?

They're pretty bad at it. Fire mines get placed in the most random places or often, not at all. Static cage is the only one they seem to work well with.

Hey guys, can you help me with something?

I'm loving the game. It runs well framerate-wise, but I've had it crash a few times now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I think it has to do with turning up the settings, but I get these DirectX crashes. This doesn't happen on any other game, just this one. Says something about the game sending a bad command and being hung.

Searched for it but got mixed up results.

I can't help, but I can sympathize. I assume the game is crashing for you during cutscenes or on the war table? I've had this happen more times than I can count, probably a couple dozen times in 80 hours of play. It's really annoying, especially when it makes you repeat an unskippable cutscene (intro to Skyhold) or repeat a boss battle.

From what I can gather it's an Nvidia issue and Bioware is aware and working on it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Been getting hit with some odd bugs lately

My potions will out of nowhere deplete to 0. Have to travel back to a camp to re supply.

L1 menu will no longer have a cursor so cannot select anything. Have to reboot game.

The main story combat design is so infuriating.

Once, I'm running to combat only to find my whole team stuck behind a wall a hundred feet behind.

The lack of any healing outside supply crates, which themselves don't replenish after reaching a checkpoint just feels like awful, awful management.

I'm once again stuck with very a sliver of health for each character, with no way of healing, and no way of restarting other than to reload a manually saved game (provided I was smart enough to create one).

Is there no other way to approach combat?

It's dumbfounding that I'm reaching a wall like this. Is the intent for me to reload the whole scenario to try and manage my potions better?

I'm playing on hard, and it seems I need to lower the difficulty. My idiotic teammates even fail to suddenly attack an enemy, unless I manually tell them to.

I don't think it's my tactics/behaviour setup either.

Xeteh

They're pretty bad at it. Fire mines get placed in the most random places or often, not at all. Static cage is the only one they seem to work well with.

Huh, odd. Vivienne has Fire Mine for me, she casts it a bunch. Sometimes it might be at the end of an enemy's life but she puts it to use.

Dmax3901

Playing on Hard, finding it ok, if I encounter a rift that whoops my ass I tend to move to a different zone.

Any tips for doing better against slightly harder enemies? Is it all about crafting?

Lol that goddamn title. Could've used it on the first OT, almost quit cause I was like "this is all just fetch quest BS?"
Said fuck it and kept going, 15 hours logged before I escaped...

Also sky hold is HUGE! Took me over 2 hours to comb the place and speak with all the people. Lovin it. Who cares about the breach, escape the hinterlands my friends!

Kenaras

It's dumbfounding that I'm reaching a wall like this. Is the intent for me to reload the whole scenario to try and manage my potions better?

Yes, but you shouldn't be reloading from the start of the scenario. If you're managing your saves, the furthest you should have to go is the last potion crate.

The point isn't just to win a battle; it's to win that battle without overspending your resources. If you blow through a bunch of potions while fighting "trash" in a story mission, you might have to reload.

The main story combat design is so infuriating.

Once, I'm running to combat only to find my whole team stuck behind a wall a hundred feet behind.

The lack of any healing outside supply crates, which themselves don't replenish after reaching a checkpoint just feels like awful, awful management.

I'm once again stuck with very a sliver of health for each character, with no way of healing, and no way of restarting other than to reload a manually saved game (provided I was smart enough to create one).

Is there no other way to approach combat?

I'm playing on hard, and it seems I need to lower the difficulty. My idiotic teammates even fail to suddenly attack an enemy, unless I manually tell them to.

I don't think it's my tactics/behaviour setup either.

Yep it's frustrating. You can always change the difficulty though.

molnizzle

Ok seriously. There has to be a way to deal with Lesser Terrors that I'm just not getting. No non-evil game designer would implement such a bullshit fucking enemy without a way to deal with it.

Please tell me the secret.

Also, why are Knight Enchanters considered to be OP? Is it just the group rez? I always bring Vivienne everywhere so I'm considering a different specialization for my Inquisitor.

Is the intent for me to reload the whole scenario to try and manage my potions better.

Yes, it's a BioWare game. Save file management is basically a mechanic. You should be manually creating new saves before each supply crate and then at various other times throughout each scenario.

tcrunch

Ok seriously. There has to be a way to deal with Lesser Terrors that I'm just not getting. No non-evil game designer would implement such a bullshit fucking enemy without a way to deal with it.

Warrior upgraded grapple chain will knock them down, 2h Warrior mighty blow will knock them down, 2h Warrior pommel strike will stun them, Warrior can combat roll out of AOE, mages can fade step out of AOE, mage can freeze them...

Rogues should be archers to stay out of the way, why ever make dagger rogue you silly person... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just wait till you get to the boss ver of Lesser Terror that can't be knocked down or stunned.

I don't think so. That is what's preventing you from getting into the castle, right?

There was this weird moment in the mage quest
where I was making my way through Redcliffe castle, I open a door to a side room and my party starts going "Oh my God!" and my character had dialogue to shout "Connor!", then Varric said "he fought that demon to the end"...

But the room was empty, I couldn't see any evidence of Connor, and didn't understand how my character would know him - or anyone else in the party for that matter. Are you somehow able to visit the castle in normal times before the mage quest starts?
You can meet him when you get to redcliff, he's by the river way in the back.

Zafir

Also, why are Knight Enchanters considered to be OP? Is it just group rez? I always bring Vivian everywhere so I'm considering a different specialization for my Inquisitor.

Use stuns to keep them knocked down while you burst. Also try and spread your party members out a bit to prevent everyone from being knocked down in the same attack.

Knight Enchanters are op because of the way their tree works. They can basically have endless barrier, making them very hard to kill. Combine that with the fire tree that has fire mine and the talent which uses barrier to strengthen your attack, and you hit pretty hard too. It also gets another escape, and it gets great mana regen, and it gets spirit blade which does more damage than your normal attack, but you can spam it all the same due to the mana regen. The focus ability is pretty damn useful too if your party is wiping, great "Oh shit!" button.

Also, why are Knight Enchanters considered to be OP? Is it just the group rez? I always bring Vivienne everywhere so I'm considering a different specialization for my Inquisitor.

When spec'ed correctly they can cast a barrier on themselves that constantly regenerates as you attack with their magic swords. They can't be killed, allegedly. I haven't played one myself.

Kenaras

Warrior upgraded grapple chain will knock them down, 2h Warrior mighty blow will knock them down, 2h Warrior pommel strike will stun them, Warrior can combat roll out of AOE, mages can fade step out of AOE, mage can freeze them...

Yeah, I play a two-handed warrior, and they can essentially chain their stun+knockdowns such that enemies never get to act. Except, of course, the enemies with physical immunity. Fuck those guys.

Top Bottom