• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

exarkun said:
The person who got the worst shaft was Vegeta. He never was as strong as Goku, and I understand that they wanted his inferiority to cloud his character but wtf. He trains harder, eventually becomes a halfway decent person and all that just so he could suck. His only shining moment of true dominance was against the fat android and and second stage cell. Cell doesn't even really count since they forced Vegeta into this extreeeme stereotype of himself in order to let cell get to the third stage.

While he was integral to all of the main villains losing with his speech to Goku against freeza/him hold freeza off, the whole final blast against Cell so Gohan could kill him, and the speech to Earth/holding off Kid Buu, his roles in those battles were so...bad. Yea without him they might not have won, but it always felt like they were just doing it to appease fans/cause they didn't know what else to do with him.

He just didn't have the raw talent Goku had.

KS Seven X said:
He just didn't have the raw talent Goku had.
quite the opposite. vegeta was supposed to be the one naturally gifted. that was the whole point of their first fight, and then he even got a bunch of free powerups near/during the freeza fight whereas goku had to train for the most part

in the cell saga they even show that vegeta doesn't know how to train properly. while he and trunks just keep fighting, goku spaces out the fights with the appropriate resting and hence him and gohan reach fpssj

exarkun

Green Biker Dude said:
quite the opposite. vegeta was supposed to be the one naturally gifted. that was the whole point of their first fight, and then he even got a bunch of free powerups near/during the freeza fight whereas goku had to train for the most part

in the cell saga they even show that vegeta doesn't know how to train properly. while he and trunks just keep fighting, goku spaces out the fights with the appropriate resting and hence him and gohan reach fpssj

Oooo I like this. Yea, the idea that as part of their training they should stay in SS1 for as long as possible was pretty cool on Goku's part. Vegeta kinda barreled his way through it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
c7j4fp1.png

Supposed image for Dragon Box vol. 5 due out February 22, 2011.

Well Goku is a fighting genus. Anybody who followed dragonball would know that. He almost kicked Master Roshi's ass after 8 months of training even though Master Roshi was holding back.

Vegeta is more of a brawler, while Goku is a martial artist.

Anth0ny

DBox looks nice. I just wish there was more art done in that style. I think we're stuck with Piccolo for the next set.

Green Biker Dude said:

Didn't Vegeta and Trunks go into The Room Of Spirit and Time twice and they were still nowhere close to as strong as Goku and Gohan by the time the Cell Games started?

Celsior

Jamesfrom818 said:
Didn't Vegeta and Trunks go into The Room Of Spirit and Time twice and they were still nowhere close to as strong as Goku and Gohan by the time the Cell Games started?
Vegeta and Trunks were trying to reach SS2, Goku was just concerned about maxing out SS1 of him and Gohan. He knew Gohan natural rage would take him to the next level when the time came. He figured no matter how much he trained he wouldn't be able to reach it even in 2 years, so he ended up leaving the chamber early and gave the rest of the time to the other two.

Plus we don't know if Vegeta and Trunks were weaker then Goku after there second training stint during the cell games. Cell was holding back against Goku and handled him easily, They only fought the Cell Jr's which they were pretty equal with.

I thought Vegeta was supposed to be a tactical genius? That was one aspect of his character I always wished was played on more. Loved his fight against #19.

Also, one thing that bugged me about the Room of Spirit & Time: It's commonly pointed out that Goku made bigger strides in his training because he paced himself out while Vegeta trained himself to death. But wouldn't Sayian physiology of growing back stronger after near-death mean that Vegeta's method was more appropriate?

/super-nerd :lol

Celsior

Keru_Shiri said:
I thought Vegeta was supposed to be a tactical genius? That was one aspect of his character I always wished was played on more. Loved his fight against #19.

Also, one thing that bugged me about the Room of Spirit & Time: It's commonly pointed out that Goku made bigger strides in his training because he paced himself out while Vegeta trained himself to death. But wouldn't Sayian physiology of growing back stronger after near-death mean that Vegeta's method was more appropriate?

That has always been Vegeta's training method:lol Goku actually knows how to train to make himself stronger plus when he does get beat down he gets the Sayian bonus.
Plus it takes a long time to recover from near death so it is not like he can do that everyday.

Vegeta has always been about raw power, every fight has him just overpowering and destroying them with energy blasts.

Keru_Shiri said:

Goku and Gohan trained in SSJ together while Vegeta trained normally by himself. Thats how I remember it anyway.

X-Frame

Keru_Shiri said:

That whole "near-death" revival is a little confusing, I agree. Krillin just needed to blast Vegeta once in a fatal part of the body to allow Vegeta's power to practically double in an instant once he was healed -- but I don't think it's the same as Vegeta simply wearing himself down by training a lot and pushing himself to his limits.

Plus, Goku just learned to be way more efficient than Vegeta in using his power at that time.

/ultra-nerd

exarkun said:
The person who got the worst shaft was Vegeta. He never was as strong as Goku,

Vegeta was stronger than Goku a few times in the series:

-First meeting on earth (or that might of been equal)
-When the first androids appeared and he showed he was a stronger SSJ than goku (piccolo confirmed this)
-When vegeta and trunks were the first to go into the Time Chamber and then came out more powerfull

So I guess only 3 times during the series.

TheVampire said:
Vegeta was stronger than Goku a few times in the series:

-First meeting on earth (or that might of been equal)
-When the first androids appeared and he showed he was a stronger SSJ than goku (piccolo confirmed this)
-When vegeta and trunks were the first to go into the Time Chamber and then came out more powerfull

So I guess only 3 times during the series.

Wasn't that just because of the heart disease?

Arment

Green Biker Dude said:

Well it isn't quite the opposite. Vegeta was born into a higher caste and had all the advantages. Goku is the 'legendary' ssj though, and therefor is pretty much the most 'naturally' gifted I would say.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vargas said:
Are there any special features in the Dragon Box releases?

Not yet aside from the books you get with them... hoping they make it in at some point though. The Japanese ones had OVAs and stuff.

Anth0ny said:
DBox looks nice. I just wish there was more art done in that style. I think we're stuck with Piccolo for the next set.

Piccolo for vol. 6 and SSJ Goku for vol. 7 probably.

X-Frame

Jamesfrom818 said:
Wasn't that just because of the heart disease?

Goku wasn't affected by the heart virus when he first transformed into an SSJ going up against 19, right? It was only once he started to fight that it just "happened" .. or am I wrong ..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
X-Frame said:
Goku wasn't affected by the heart virus when he first transformed into an SSJ going up against 19, right? It was only once he started to fight that it just "happened" .. or am I wrong ..

It didn't just 'happen' in that moment.

Calcaneus

I'm trying to decide on what Dragon Box volume to get first. I know it makes sense to go with the first set, but I've seen those episodes so many times so I feel like waiting on those. DBZ isn't really a series that I would watch straight through at this point anyways.

I might get either the latest set or the second one. I'll probably wait on the third set as well because I'm not exactly excited to watch the whole Goku vs Freeza fight again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Calcaneus said:
I'm trying to decide on what Dragon Box volume to get first. I know it makes sense to go with the first set, but I've seen those episodes so many times so I feel like waiting on those. DBZ isn't really a series that I would watch straight through at this point anyways.

I might get either the latest set or the second one. I'll probably wait on the third set as well because I'm not exactly excited to watch the whole Goku vs Freeza fight again.

These sets are limited so I'd probably start from the first one, just in case.

Calcaneus

Kagari said:
These sets are limited so I'd probably start from the first one, just in case.
Limited? Lame.

Guess I'll start with the first one, since it won't be long before I get the next ones anyways.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Calcaneus said:
Limited? Lame.

Guess I'll start with the first one, since it won't be long before I get the next ones anyways.

Yeah, I was going to hold off too originally, but when I read that bit of news, I went out and picked up volume 1. Last week I bought volume 4, only because Fry's didn't have 2 and 3 so I'll be ordering those on Amazon shortly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally got a chance to see the reanimated version of the OVA Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku that comes with Raging Blast 2... god the animation/drawing style is terrible. Maybe it's a good thing they never redid the series with modern animation technology because it would probably be a disaster.

Celsior said:
Vegeta and Trunks were trying to reach SS2, Goku was just concerned about maxing out SS1 of him and Gohan. He knew Gohan natural rage would take him to the next level when the time came. He figured no matter how much he trained he wouldn't be able to reach it even in 2 years, so he ended up leaving the chamber early and gave the rest of the time to the other two.

Plus we don't know if Vegeta and Trunks were weaker then Goku after there second training stint during the cell games. Cell was holding back against Goku and handled him easily, They only fought the Cell Jr's which they were pretty equal with.
I only watched the Anime, but there was a hint that they were nowhere close to Goku. The way they reacted when Goku said he quit. Vegeta couldn't believe that Gohan was stronger then him.

Anth0ny

Kagari said:
Finally got a chance to see the reanimated version of the OVA Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku that comes with Raging Blast 2... god the animation/drawing style is terrible. Maybe it's a good thing they never redid the series with modern animation technology because it would probably be a disaster.

They should just reanimate the entire series with Movie 9-level of animation. That shit still looks fantastic, even to this day.

Episode 120 is a good example too. Honestly, I don't think any other episode in the entire series comes close to looking as good as this one. Soooooo good. I'm gonna grab my Dragon Box and make some screen caps soon, just for the hell of it :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anth0ny said:
They should just reanimate the entire series with Movie 9-level of animation. That shit still looks fantastic, even to this day.

Episode 120 is a good example too. Honestly, I don't think any other episode in the entire series comes close to looking as good as this one. Soooooo good. I'm gonna grab my Dragon Box and make some screen caps soon, just for the hell of it :lol

Yeah there were a few animation styles that were done really well in the series, and one that was just down right terrible: http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=128 / http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=132

X-Frame

It definitely was annoying having one episode look so good and then the next everyone was drawn terribly. I especially remember huge differences in the SSJ Goku vs Frieza fight.

Takao

Banned
Kagari said:

I actually disagree with you here, the new animation style (in terms of the character designs) fits Toriyama's design philosophy as of recent times. The eyes do have that issue of not looking like they have a soul, but that's something that is a problem with digitally painted animation.

That special had characters off model a lot, I blame Toei's Philipines branch who did a lot of work on it (and were actually the reason we knew of its existance months prior).

LosDaddie

Banned
So...what was the meaning of DBGT's ending? I've never understood it.

Back at FSU, I went on a DBZ/DBGT-binge (Japanese imports) one Summer. I watched both series, and ended up watching the Buu saga and all of DBGT again later that year with a friend. Still didn't understand

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I've always thought that Dragon Ball steals a lot from Tarzan.

Lost boy trains with animals - check (well, Goku had a grandfather that teached him (almost nothing) about civics and stuff, while Tarzan had some children books on his father's house, where he learned to read and write).
King of animals - check
Super hero - check
Super human powers - check
etc

To add to this, we have the inevitable Gohan and Korak's comparisons.
Both born weak and well educated, then scape to the jungle/train with Piccolo, basically doing their father's way backwards (Although Korak was a lot manlier than Gohan, and much less of a cry baby).

Both series turned to shit at the end, in Tarzan's case, it was after the fourth book (the third book was pretty shitty IMO), in Dragon ball's case it was after Freezer (both series turned slowly to shit, if you get what I mean).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kagari said:
Yeah there were a few animation styles that were done really well in the series, and one that was just down right terrible: http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=128 / http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=132
Nothing I hated more than those episodes. I used to get screen caps online and draw them back in the day and there used to be some awesome episodes but looked like dog shit. I remember the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight and Vegeto fights looked like that for the most part. I was very disappointed.

I asked on GAF a while ago about that and was told that there were teams of artists. One team being more skilled than another is the reason that there are good looking episodes vs shit ones. But, it's actually a style?? That blows me away. How could they think it looks good?

SUPARSTARX

I just gotta say, Dragon Ball Kai is the best thing to happen in anime for me lately.

I've watched a good portion of DBZ on VCR tape when I was little and it was dubbed in Cantonese-Chinese.

Rewatching all of this is really refreshing in remastered hi-definition. :D :D

Ryck

Anth0ny said:

Yup and sadly it is followed by the horrible Episode 121.

From this:
Trunks.png

Trunks2.png

To this... in just one episode

trunks3.png

Trunks4.png

Takao

Banned
I always take GT's ending as
Goku having died in battle against Xi Xing Long/Synn Shenron, and that the one who says goodbye is simply Shenron granting Goku the ability to say goodbye. Goku may have died even earlier than that, as Omega/Synn asks "Who are you?" before dying. Both Vegeta and Roshi say "Goku... are you?" as they talk to him, implying something (in the Funi dub both dialogues are changed to something like "You're training alone again aren't you?", and "Let's remember the old times"). When Shenron awakens Goku, he seems to know what Shenron wants when he asks him to hop on his back, knowing what was up. Heck, in Krillin, and the turtle's dialogue, both were talking about life and death, and wham, there comes Goku. The strongest evidence I have for Goku having died rather than just telling his family to screw off, is Pan. Pan notices Goku's gui on the floor (which the Goku who said goodbye had a heavily ripped version of on), and Vegeta tells her to keep care of it. I'm also pretty certain both Chi-Chi and Bulma knew he was never coming back.

As for Goku combining with Shenron, I guess that's symbolic of them both being protectors of the Earth who are now leaving for good. As for when Grandma Pan sees Goku at the tournament, it's a ghost paying a visit, just like the ghost who told Gohan he could beat Cell, and the one who helped Goku Jr. in the TV special.

That last episode always makes me cry.

manueldelalas said:
I've always thought that Dragon Ball steals a lot from Tarzan.

Lost boy trains with animals - check (well, Goku had a grandfather that teached him (almost nothing) about civics and stuff, while Tarzan had some children books on his father's house, where he learned to read and write).
King of animals - check
Super hero - check
Super human powers - check
etc

To add to this, we have the inevitable Gohan and Korak's comparisons.
Both born weak and well educated, then scape to the jungle/train with Piccolo, basically doing their father's way backwards (Although Korak was a lot manlier than Gohan, and much less of a cry baby).

Both series turned to shit at the end, in Tarzan's case, it was after the fourth book (the third book was pretty shitty IMO), in Dragon ball's case it was after Freezer (both series turned slowly to shit, if you get what I mean).

The first saga in Dragon Ball is heavily based on the Chinese legend of Sun Wukong, the boy monkey king, and his journeys (in Journey to the West), which is where many of the things you're comparing it to are directly from. That's actually what Toriyama set out to do with Dragon Ball, adapt Journey to the West. Obvsiouly it became more popular than he could ever imagine so he started creating his own material (with plot points being plucked from other things he was influenced by, like say, the Terminator films).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Takao said:
I actually disagree with you here, the new animation style (in terms of the character designs) fits Toriyama's design philosophy as of recent times. The eyes do have that issue of not looking like they have a soul, but that's something that is a problem with digitally painted animation.

That special had characters off model a lot, I blame Toei's Philipines branch who did a lot of work on it (and were actually the reason we knew of its existance months prior).

Maybe it's the digital painting then. It just looks like garbage compared to hand painted cels.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So I'm reading the manga. Just got to the part where they hit Namek and my interest is struggling. Really, since the Saiyans showed up it's been a lot less interesting. Should I keep going through? Stuff like Red Ribbon was awesome, but I'm not quite feeling it right now.

Takao

Banned
The first chapter of Dragon Ball SD is floating around. It's cute, and that's all I can really say. It is in its own world, and doesn't appear to be directly connected to Toriyama's story as it is retelling certain events but with some small twists. The background art is kind of lacking, but I guess Naho Ooishi probably doesn't have many, if any assistants to help her fill that in.

smurfx

get some go again
man i love dragon ball kai. so great not having to go through all that shitty filler. especially during the freiza saga. i'm up to episode 64.

Galactic Quail said:
Can someone tell me how One Piece is superior to DB in their eyes?

I mean I've read both manga and I find them enjoyable, but I can't usually stand One Piece's manga sometimes cause there's way too much shit going on in one panel almost every time.

I can't usually tell where the story's focusing at points like that.

It hurts the eyes.
i think its superior due to the characters and their abilities. its nice seeing different characters having different fighting styles. i enjoy dragon ball but its mostly the same fighting styles just with more power. you can do way more in the one piece world than you can in the dragon ball world.

Tacitus_

GaimeGuy said:
He says something along the lines of "Oh shit, you were cool with seeing me finish him off? I thought you wanted another piece of him since you died trying to kill him, so I was holding back to give you another shot. I'm not so sure I can beat him with the damage I've taken now..."

1) Goku fights Kid Buu, asks Vegeta to hold him for a while so he can go 100% and oneshot Buu (can't kill him otherwise due to Buu regenerating)
2) He takes a lot longer than he thought he would need and Vegeta asks what's up
3) Goku drops to base and says he can't go 100% in SSJ3 due to being alive, it drains too much Ki
4) They wish Earth back, make a huge Spirit Bomb
5) Last wish grants Goku his strenght back so he can push the Spirit Bomb all the way

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Boo. DB Box #5 delayed until April 26.

RevenantKioku said:
So I'm reading the manga. Just got to the part where they hit Namek and my interest is struggling. Really, since the Saiyans showed up it's been a lot less interesting. Should I keep going through? Stuff like Red Ribbon was awesome, but I'm not quite feeling it right now.

Red Ribbon shows up later on again, sort of.

Takao

Banned
Funimation is streaming DBZ on their website, but it's the eye-cancer version. At least they're doing both the sub and dub
,but the dub only has the sub music.

Deadly

GaimeGuy said:
He says something along the lines of "Oh shit, you were cool with seeing me finish him off? I thought you wanted another piece of him since you died trying to kill him, so I was holding back to give you another shot. I'm not so sure I can beat him with the damage I've taken now..."
I've got the book right in front of me and there's nothing like that :lol

Top Bottom