• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 coming to PS4 and 3DS in Japan in August

Labadal

Dragon-Quest-PS4-Gameplay_08-07-17.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/dragon-quest-ii-iii-3ds-first-screenshots-dragon-quest-ps4-gameplay
Gameplay

Eusis

Yeah, I was afraid of shitty scrolling, as this ancient NES video is way smoother and to be frank the game shouldn't have been that choppy on modern phones relative to when it hit iOS/Android anyway. I'm guessing that it was a really quick and easy port, or the original code actively hobbled any attempts to make it a higher FPS. Maybe someone will dig into the code and figure it out.

Shin-Ra

It always impresses me how badly Square-Enix scale and filter pixel art in their retro game remasters.

randomkid

oh my goodness, just pulled out my phone to see if my memories were playing tricks on me and have confirmed two things

1) my DQ1 saves are apparently gone. is this something Samsung does when they force you to update your phone without your permission? totally unacceptable.

2) that footage above is heinously worse looking than what I see in front of me on the Galaxy S7. I hope to god that DQ3 on PS4 won't look like that.

ggx2ac

So weird that the Smartphone version of DQ3 doesn't have Ortega's Intro. I wonder if it will be in the PS4/3DS games.

aadiboy

The scrolling looks choppy and the character models look ugly. It's so weird how some SE 2D ports get the graphics right (FF1/2/4 psp, Romancing Saga 2) and others get them wrong (FF5/6 mobile).

BONKERS

PS4 version looks as jerky as I expected. I hope that runs at 60FPS in the actual game. Same with the 3DS versions. There's no reason these shouldn't be running at 60FPS. It was bad enough the mobile versions didn't.. It also looks like they took the mobile phone backgrounds and just upsampled them with bilinear filtering and then drew new sprites. It still looks better than the mobile phone ports.

The new sprites look good. I kind of like the storybook like appearance. But it feels inconsistent. The 3DS versions on the other hand, the sprites look way better than the backgrounds too. But in opposite fashion. They are slightly softer/more detailed than the backgrounds. Which seem too sharp and too busy. Like they took the mobile backgrounds and integer scaled them down without cleanup.
DragonQuestIILuminar.jpg

oh my goodness, just pulled out my phone to see if my memories were playing tricks on me and have confirmed two things

1) my DQ1 saves are apparently gone. is this something Samsung does when they force you to update your phone without your permission? totally unacceptable.

2) that footage above is heinously worse looking than what I see in front of me on the Galaxy S7. I hope to god that DQ3 on PS4 won't look like that.

The mobile versions look worse than this (IMO) simply by virtue of being sharp but the scaling of the whole image is completely uneven because of point non-integer.

BooJoh

I'm not feeling the graphics at all. I loved how the GBC versions looked, and having looked at the SFC versions the graphics were pretty close to the same only better on SFC.

The mixed pixel density is the worst... the characters remind me of the mobile FF ports.

It's a shame the series has been kept from VC because I'll probably buy these on 3DS if they come out in NA but I'd rather just have the GBC versions on 3DS VC.

this looks nice enough

I hope they could do all the DQs up to 6 to big screen haha

All the 2D FF games too

It's funny that Mega Man of all series is getting classic collections in a timely fashion to boot

Square is so silly for not just ROM dumping FF/DQ Legacy Collections

1 and 2 aren't looking so hot, but it will be nice to have another version of them. I'm mostly excited for III, but hopefully they restore enemy animations and Pachisi. Haven't picked up the Android version because of cutting those out.

Fiendcode

It's funny that Mega Man of all series is getting classic collections in a timely fashion to boot

Square is so silly for not just ROM dumping FF/DQ Legacy Collections
You'd think after their SD Collection with M2 went so well they'd be looking at more similar collections for FF, DQ, SaGa, Ogre, Soulblazer, etc, but I guess not.

hongcha

Okay these are out now so I bought DQ 2 on 3DS (I'm playing on a New 3DS LL). Unfortunately it runs at a choppy framerate, which seems about 20fps most of the time and gives me headaches. I feel like I'm playing a Colecovision game from 1983. The pixel graphics are very blurry as well. On the bright side, the font is a good size and easy to read, the map on the bottom screen is good to have, and the music sounds great.

In summary: I wouldn't buy this if I were you. And I'm not buying the other two.

Opa-Pa

Oh man, I'm a total DQ beginner (only played Builders) and was looking forward to these as an easy way to get into the series, but that gameplay looks hideous... Barely a step above those terrible mobile FF remakes, yikes.

I guess I'll stick to the originals... Also I'm recognizing all those songs in DQ1 from Builders haha, I guess I should power through the first game.

Pepboy

Regarding 2, I think I heard that DQ3 looks a little better. At least I saw some photos that looked a little cleaner.

Really disappointing to hear about choppy walking. You'd think they'd do a little more quality control for what could essentially be the introduction to the series for many players.

Nice! I'm brand new to Dragon Quest (I just started playing DQ Builders today which I know is pretty different but still) so if these come to the West it'll be nice as an easy place to jump in.

Pepboy

Nice! I'm brand new to Dragon Quest (I just started playing DQ Builders today which I know is pretty different but still) so if these come to the West it'll be nice as an easy place to jump in.

DQ Builders is a great way to ease into the series! I had a blast playing DQ 1 after Builders.

But I might recommend playing the iOS / Mobile ports, for some reason the graphics in the PS4/3DS seem a bit tortured. Edit: at least I thought the touch controls for DQ1 were surprisingly fine. I usually don't like touch controls.

Just got 1-2 thinking they would be fine (3DS), wow so half-assed! I cannot imagine them bringing these sad low-effort ports over. How disappointing.

Top Bottom