• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

clem84

Gold Member
not-like-this-gif.gif

Perfect gif.

iOS is a nightmare of user-unfriendly restriction.

Even Android, while fairly restricted, and not rooted by default. Is much more open and free in comparison to iOS. And at least, on some level, starts to approach Windows-levels of user customizability and freedom. At least for the mobile market. Once you root your Android device, you're fairly free to do what you want, outside of the confines of Google and so-forth. And makes a fairly decent "PC" or tinkerer's OS, while iOS isn't much good for doing anything outside of Apple's fiercely gated walls.

Android is far from perfect. Ubuntu is, and SteamOS will be much more freedom bearing than Android. But it is still a much, much better option than iOS.

What the fuck are you talking about? You'll download the game and play it, just like the e shop, PSN, XBL, or anything else. This is no different than any system ever. It sounds like you're bitching just to bitch. Like someone that would complain they can't use an nes controller to drive a car.

Do you just not like iOS?

CHC

I-I-I-I-I'm sorry Dragon Quest VIII on a phone? I know people have mixed feelings but come on this is awesome! The only maybe more fitting platform would be the Vita. Personally I'm really happy about this, and I'm sure the price will be fair as well. I just hope it plays well, but if KOTOR turned out OK then this will be fine.

Ourobolus

Banned
I-I-I-I-I'm sorry Dragon Quest VIII on a phone? I know people have mixed feelings but come on this is awesome! The only maybe more fitting platform would be the Vita. Personally I'm really happy about this, and I'm sure the price will be fair as well. I just hope it plays well, but if KOTOR turned out OK then this will be fine.

Uh...you know this is Square-Enix we're talking about, right?

Vandole

Is there sales data for any of S-E's mobile games? At the prices they charge for their games I'm curious how they compete with other games in the mobile market.

The logic in this confuses me.
Why?

Edit: I'm mostly confused as to why VIII is being released for phones, but not 3DS, Vita, or even HD-remake.

Elios83

Well they said that they couldn't go on with DQ being exclusive to a single platform, so please understand :/ Also DQ is a really slow JRPG so it might not be bad to play them on smartphones...right?

iOS is user-unfriendly? wtf if anything iOS devices are some of the simplest devices I ever used and I'm a android user myself btw.

I loathed using my company iPhone for work. It got to the point where I just gave it back and now do everything on ny android. The newest ios update is especily hot garbage imo. I especially hate using opera. Its not intuitive at all, why do they have to use confusing icons when a damn text menu would much easier to understand. And don't get me started iTunes and its problema with syncing. They make it way too difficult to iust add a group of songs from your library. On my android I just select the songs from the folder and drag and drop.

The appstore interface is fine though. No problems there. And they have a better selection of games and apps too.

Tobor

The logic in this confuses me.
Why?

Edit: I'm mostly confused as to why VIII is being released for phones, but not 3DS, Vita, or even HD-remake.

Mobile: Gigantic userbases + 2 similar platforms(iOS/Android) = realistic expectation of a high return on investment

Dedicated handhelds: Much smaller userbases + 2 platforms with unique UI requirements and different architecture = lower return on investment, possibility of a loss.

ccbfan

I'm excited about this.

DQ on a device I have with me all the time? Hell Yeah.

Turn base rpgs are perfect of ios gaming. (Amazed there's not more).

Just up the res and I'm there. Just don't bastardize the character sprints like FF5. (The monsters and rest of the graphics were OK though)

And SE is wondering why they're struggling. Such a garbage company

Because making money hand over fist with minimum effort via quick and dirty mobile ports is a horrible idea.

Why is GAF so scared of mobile? Does the hegemony of Sony/Nintendo being threatened bother you that much?

RM8

Mobile: Gigantic userbases + 2 similar platforms(iOS/Android) = realistic expectation of a high return on investment

Dedicated handhelds: Much smaller userbases + 2 platforms with unique UI requirements and different architecture = lower return on investment, possibility of a loss.
With DQ there's no way it wouldn't be profitable on 3DS because of Japan alone, though.

I think this is great news DQ seems like a great fit for smartphones. I'm hoping they get localized (though it wouldn't shock me if they don't).

Mihos

Gold Member
I fucking hate touch gaming, but I might suck it up for this on a tablet. I would much rather have it on Vita or 3DS.

Terrible aspect ratio for DQ 8 but aslong as you have free camera I suppose it still works. The "panoramic" view was what made the world of DQ8 so enjoyable and breathtaking so I feel sorry for those playing this gimped version.
I like this idea of bringing up the classics. I will definitely buy 1 - 3 on it for android tablets.

iammeiam

I'm a little saddened by what this means for the chances of VII 3DS in NA or VIII 3DS at all, but overall I don't think the ports are too shocking. They were bound to run out of classic FF to port eventually.

Wait, you can't play them in landscape mode?

Anyway, I guess it's a miracle the ps2 FF and KH games are getting ps3 ports and not this treatment.

RM8

In the end... classic DQ have been on phones for ages now. So this doesn't really mean XI can't be on 3DS :D

I hate touch gaming, but I might suck it up for this on a tablet. I would much rather have it on Vita or 3DS.
I'm getting a tablet soon for the sake of doing things like drawing.

I'd like to find some way to play this on the keyboard, to be honest.
Even if it isn't supported natively, I know that there's some touch control to keyboard conversion software out there, so it might be possible.

I'd rather play the game on a gamepad, but a keyboard will do well enough. I'm used enough to PC gaming to be okay enough with keyboard play. And I feel like keyboard play would work on my lap a lot better. Which is how I primarily want to use a tablet. For me, a tablet is a laptop with optional keyboard.

If I were to stand it up for use like a traditional desktop, I already have several gaming capable desktops and large LCD screens for that. That I'd much rather use.

terrisus

Ugh? Seriously?

Can we at least get the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 7 and a port/remake of Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS over here first?
That 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii would be nice as well.

Smartphones, ick.

It's Dragon Quest. Possibility of a loss ? Also, different price too. I doubt that Dragon Quest VIII on iOS/Android will make as much as more than 1 million unit sold at a 40€ price.

OnFire331

storafötter;85304029 said:
Terrible aspect ratio for DQ 8 but aslong as you have free camera I suppose it still works. The "panoramic" view was what made the world of DQ8 so enjoyable and breathtaking so I feel sorry for those playing this gimped version.
I like this idea of bringing up the classics. I will definitely buy 1 - 3 on it for android tablets.

We don't know if it's going to have a landscape aspect ratio as well but if that's the only aspect ratio you'll be able to play as, I'll be disappointed.

Not sure why everyone's considering this a "bad thing". Mobile is a great fit for DQ games, assuming they:

- Adapt the interface for mobile
- Don't shit up the graphics horribly like they did with those FF games
- Don't follow a F2P model with obstrusive IAP
- Don't overprice the app (lol)

Carlisle

I'd buy DQVIII for iOS if I could play it with a controller somehow.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue here at all--assuming these are direct ports and not FFV-ified. We finally get (nearly) all the main line DQ games digitally for probably quite a bit less than the 3DS or Vita MSRP we'd likely be paying otherwise. The only negative is touch screen controls. But with iOS7 having native controller support and throwing your iPhone into one of these, how is it any different from playing on a dedicated handheld?

logitechioscontroller.jpg

Zee-Row

Banned
Not only are mobile games a pain to play they are also uncomfortable because of how hot the screen is after playing for awhile. I really hate mobile games, they ruined the companies I used to love and the crazy price of entry at $700 sucks.

Begaria

Honestly? This is ok. They're just ports. Hell, if I had an iOS device, I'd probably pick up a few of these.

Aeana

Not sure why everyone's considering this a "bad thing". Mobile is a great fit for DQ games, assuming they:

- Adapt the interface for mobile
- Don't shit up the graphics horribly like they did with those FF games
- Don't follow a F2P model with obstrusive IAP
- Don't overprice the app (lol)

They have adapted the interface.

game1.jpg
game3.jpg

Serandur

This is cool, actually. VIII is best on an emulator at higher resolutions in my opinion, but I-VII on a smartphone could be nice.
Edit: VIII's reworked interface is disgusting though.

Top Bottom