• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

gblues

Banned
Nearly three years of waiting is almost over. I have two copies of Dragon Quest 7 3DS on order. Less than two weeks away!

_Ryo_

Just ordered DQVIII for ps2 on ebay.

What are all the differences from 3DS/Android? I have it on Android as well but I refuse to play it vertically. I mean,wtf?

Anyway I've never played it before, just watched a few episodes of a let's play. I liked what I saw so I'm excited for it to arrive.

Just ordered DQVIII for ps2 on ebay.

What are all the differences from 3DS/Android? I have it on Android as well but I refuse to play it vertically. I mean,wtf?

Anyway I've never played it before, just watched a few episodes of a let's play. I liked what I saw so I'm excited for it to arrive.
If it isn't the Japanesw version of the PS2 game then you get voice acting and an orchestral score that the mobile version doesn't have.

I haven't played it but the 3DS version is different again, with an extra playable character and no random encounters (instead, battles launch when you come in contact with a visible enemy).

Alchemy takes time (a certain number of steps?) in the ps2 version.

_Ryo_

If it isn't the Japanesw version of the PS2 game then you get voice acting and an orchestral score that the mobile version doesn't have.

I haven't played it but the 3DS version is different again, with an extra playable character and no random encounters (instead, battles launch when you come in contact with a visible enemy).

Alchemy takes time (a certain number of steps?) in the ps2 version.

Yeah, I read about visible encounters and new playable characters and a new dungeon, a new ending and
being able to marry Jessica
in the 3DS version. The grahics also are much less detailed but I was wondering if there was anything else. Like the alchemy thing is interesting. Do you know if either version has any type of censorship?

And are you have being serious, there is really no voice acting or orchestral score in the Android version? And you are forced to play it vertically on topof that? Fuck that sounds straight up Trash tier. Really glad I got it free on Amazon appstore and didn't pay a cent now.

Velcro Fly

That feeling when you are playing Dragon Quest V and have favorite monsters you want to recruit and you sit in one place running back and forth for 54 encounters before that majestic King Cureslime wants to join the team :)

Erdrick

In preparation of DQVII's remake finally coming here, I resumed my play through of DQVI for the DS from about 3 years ago... I completely forgot where I'm going or what even happened, story-wise, haha. I can't even remember the towns or anything. I've put some 30 hours into this though, so I don't really want to restart. The fortune teller says I should go to Somnia for something, but I've yet to remember what for. I've got some woman repairing an old sword that I picked up, and now I was just at Felonia (Which I had never been to previously) and am on the look for some shield, while said sword is being worked on.

The whole dual worlds doesn't help right now, since I forget what I even did there or the concept of it offhand.

Still, this is the only mainline DQ game in English that I've never beaten, so I owe it to myself to see it through.

For some reason, VI (So far.) and VII are my least favourites. I'm hoping the remake of VII will change it and am eager to play it with a much improved localization.

Regardless, while I hold VI and VII lower than the other games in the series, they're by no means bad or anything. I just didn't like them as much as others. (DQIII is still my favourite one, forever.)

Time to explore more and rediscover this world in VI.

Velcro Fly

Finally finished Dragon Quest V this afternoon. What a fun ride. I needed to call on King Cureslime a couple times during the final boss so the few hours I spent grinding that recruitment turned out to be worth it.

Finally finished Dragon Quest V this afternoon. What a fun ride. I needed to call on King Cureslime a couple times during the final boss so the few hours I spent grinding that recruitment turned out to be worth it.

Man, I'm at the tail end of the game (I think) and I've been grinding to recruit King Curesline. It's taken HOURS. nothing yet. I'm jealous of you! Any tips? I'm trying to recruit in the stairway place (specific name escapes me right now).

Velcro Fly

Man, I'm at the tail end of the game (I think) and I've been grinding to recruit King Curesline. It's taken HOURS. nothing yet. I'm jealous of you! Any tips? I'm trying to recruit in the stairway place (specific name escapes me right now).

I just walked around on the first floor right near the exit. I had football on TV and just grinded for it. Took me 54 encounters where I killed one to finally recruit one.

lewisgone

Dragon Quest VII was dispatched from the Nintendo UK Store this evening for me.

So so excited! It might even arrive before the release date.

My Metal Slime and King Cureslime are my two proudest DQ V recruits. I just arrived in Nadiria, this will be my first time beating Dragon Quest V (DS version), it's my first ever DQ game and is now officially tied for my favorite JRPG ever next to Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. Despite it being about a 30 hour game I've poured over 100 hours into my file just savoring the game over the last year off and on, grinding and battling for fun, recruiting, getting lost looking for loot and items, I don't want the game to end. A couple questions: What kind of post game content is there? Just an extra final boss or is there any additional quests? I assume there is no "new game plus" function they added to the DS version that will allow me to keep things like my recruited monsters if I start a new game? I want to eventually replay the game with the other wives (first time is with Bianca) but the thought of losing all my XP and my monster crew is discouraging. Anyways, hoping I can finish the game over the next day or two in time for DQ VII.

My Metal Slime and King Cureslime are my two proudest DQ V recruits. I just arrived in Nadiria, this will be my first time beating Dragon Quest V (DS version), it's my first ever DQ game and is now officially tied for my favorite JRPG ever next to Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. Despite it being about a 30 hour game I've poured over 100 hours into my file just savoring the game over the last year off and on, grinding and battling for fun, recruiting, getting lost looking for loot and items, I don't want the game to end. A couple questions: What kind of post game content is there? Just an extra final boss or is there any additional quests? I assume there is no "new game plus" function they added to the DS version that will allow me to keep things like my recruited monsters if I start a new game? I want to eventually replay the game with the other wives (first time is with Bianca) but the thought of losing all my XP and my monster crew is discouraging. Anyways, hoping I can finish the game over the next day or two in time for DQ VII.
There's a bonus dungeon, and at the end you get to fight
Estark, the ancient evil from Dragon Quest IV.
After this, you get access to a final TnT board, and apparently if you manage to complete it, you're awarded with
Starkers, the son of Estark, joining your party.

There's a bonus dungeon, and at the end you get to fight
Estark, the ancient evil from Dragon Quest IV.
After this, you get access to a final TnT board, and apparently if you manage to complete it, you're awarded with
Starkers, the sone if Estark, joining your party.

Oh cool. I didn't mind spoiling myself, that's some pretty cool additional bonuses and now I wanna play
[DQ III & IV even more./spoiler]. Still though, what I wouldn't give for a new game + for a game like this. >__<

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nothing yet. Probably shouldn't expect any news before the release of DQ Builders. I'm kinda worried about it, though, since the first didn't sell very well.

I loved it enough to import if I have to in the future, hope that isnt the case. I want to support the series in the west >.<

Rainy

Banned
I just got Dragon Quest V, really excited to start. Besides some minimal experience with VIII, haven't really played anything in the series.

Lothar

Banned
I just got Dragon Quest V, really excited to start. Besides some minimal experience with VIII, haven't really played anything in the series.

Great choice. Use party chat often as soon as your get another character, and remember that zero grinding is ever necessary. You just have to choose what to buy. There no penalty for death except losing half your gold. So it's good to do shopping before you set out to a place where you may expect hard enemies or a boss.

Teknoman

I believe only the host's NPC characters can be in the party, but maybe I'm misremembering and you can take the guest's out.

Oh well that would be fine then if thats the case. As long as its possible to have a full party some how.

EDIT: Also found these interesting -

s-l1600.jpg

904672328_o.jpg

Strange ads for DQIV.

javadoze

So does Toriyama really do most of the DQ artwork or is it split with him and other people nowadays (like how Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi did the DS artwork)?

Aeana

So does Toriyama really do most of the DQ artwork or is it split with him and other people nowadays (like how Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi did the DS artwork)?

Toriyama comes up with the designs, and his minions redraw it in all of the various ways it needs to be.

Erdrick

Finally nearing the end of Dragon Quest VI on the DS after so long... Literally since February 2011 until present. I left it aside as lots of other stuff came between, and frankly the game wasn't grabbing me like most usually do.

Mostly just fighting in the last area in preparation for the last boss. Not sure if I'll bother with the bonus content after beating this, as I'm kind of burnt out on this game and still not a fan of the story or characters... The game just seems so long and the pacing is just all over the place to me. Of course, I found the original DQVII to be even slower paced than this, and like 100 hours longer so... Ah hell, I'm still eager to revisit VII. Finally, all the mainline games have been localized with a modern translation. (Well, not X but... I don't ever expect to see that here.)

Love the demo for DQ Builders that hit earlier this week. Going to put some serious time into that this fall and winter.

Then sometime next year, an improved DQVIII on the 3DS... I love the original, and more of it is always welcome.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Dragon Quest Builders gives me serious Actraiser vibes.

Please tell me you can continue from the demo save file?
Nope. At least not in the Japanese version. I think someone confirmed it to be the same in the English version as well.
It was really annoying because the beginning was literally the same thing iirc.

Faustek

Nope. At least not in the Japanese version. I think someone confirmed it to be the same in the English version as well.

Yepp, the beginning is exactly the same. Only difference is that you can't detail your characters looks or sex.

Teknoman

Aww... well either way it wont that that long.
Yepp, the beginning is exactly the same. Only difference is that you can't detail your characters looks or sex.

You mean you couldnt do that in the Japanese demo right? Not the full retail game?

Joqu

Not sure if this appropriate to post but Terry's Wonderland 3D english patch for 3DS has been released.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-3d.431204/

Can remove the link if needed.

dude

duuuude

I knew this was in the works, but I had no idea they were anywhere close to releasing one already.

That's such great news, I absolutely loved the original.

Now I need to figure out this homebrew thing on 3DS though, I hope I didn't lock myself out for now. :s

(Also, unless that gbatemp link is sharing anything illegal, which as far as I'm aware shouldn't be the case with their rules though I've only skimmed the thread, it should be ok. Fan translations get discussed all the time on GAF.

In fact I'd consider that a thread worthy one. But maybe that's just me, I don't know how much people care about the Monsters remakes)

Garraboa

Wouldn't think so from the screenshots at least. Unless those are exceptions .-.

Nah, the translation's good. AFAIK, they've been working on this since at least last december.

Regarding those GT translations... were those the Wizardry games? I saw a lot of them getting fan-translation patches almost daily, one after another.

Just ordered Dragon Warrior III, Monsters and Monsters 2 off ebay for GBC. When they arrive I'll own the entire english released series, and I'll post a pic then :p

Top Bottom