• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX nearly finished.. And more Wii software!

Aeana

Himuro said:
Where the hell do you keep getting this from?

As far as we know, you create your characters (like in DQ3). In single-player, you'd create all of them, in multi-player, each person would create their own.

This could all be wrong, but SE doesn't seem to want to release any information.

Aeana

Himuro said:
Create your character? How do you create your character in DQIII? You can't modify his looks at right?

Huh? You create your PARTY in DQ3. You create characters at Luida's and add them to your party.

cvxfreak

Mashing said:
DQ III? Is that the one that came out for GBC?

Yeah, the first three were ported to GBC. I think they were based on the Famicom versions graphically, but had SFC extras, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

ethelred

I would be very disappointed if there were no defined characters in the game. I know it worked in Dragon Quest III, but I think that it's been to the series' advantage that they've moved beyond that in the years since, and I think Horii and his team have gotten very talented at creating fun, interesting characters that make the journey through his worlds more enjoyable.

I'd also be extremely disappointed if the game is too multiplayer-focused and doesn't have a single-player experience on par with prior entries in the series.

I'm hoping neither of these things are the case. Yes, I know they're being very secretive and quiet on the game, but I'm going to maintain a level of hope and optimism here.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If the game has a DQIII class system, then BAM, it might just become my favorite DQ!

After pumping over 140 hours into DQVII and its plodding, meandering mess of a job system, I could do without this again!

Aeana

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, the first three were ported to GBC. I think they were based on the Famicom versions graphically, but had SFC extras, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

They're based on the SFC versions graphically, too.

NES/SFC/GBC

dq3nes-01.png
dq3sfc-01.png
dq3gbc-01.png

dq3nes-02.png
dq3sfc-02.png
dq3gbc-02.png

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Probably much like DQIVr and DQVr! ;p

What a kick in the pants to DQ6 fans that would be. DQ6 -> DQ7/4r style isn't much of an upgrade compared to the other games.

Mejilan

It's efficient and cost-effective to use the DQIVr DS engine for all 3 remakes.

Well, Ethel, if DQVII were ported to the DS, I would hope some of its subsystems would be heavily overhauled. Getting those hybrid skills (human jobs) is such a fucking task. And an almost total waste of time.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
It's efficient and cost-effective to use the DQIVr DS engine for all 3 remakes.

Of course it is. But DQ4 and 5 have had substantial remakes before, and these are just ports. DQ6 has never been remade before, ever. Horii's always said that his goal with initial remakes is to give the player a genuinely improved experience in all ways. Considering that DQ6 fans have been waiting for a remake using 8's engine ever since 8 came out, I think it's safe to say that they'll be pretty disappointed unless the 6 remake uses the Joker or 9 engine, however unlikely that may be.

I'm about 80% sure 6r will use the 4r/5r engine, myself, but I don't think it's fair to DQ6. It deserves the extra-special attention to its first remake that all of the other games have gotten so far.

Mejilan

Portability is a pretty huge big deal, and I think that would be sufficient to satisfy the "adding new features" bullet point. Hell, I think it was even mentioned in an interview excerpt quoted earlier this thread that they consider DQIX's portability one of its best NEW features.

Mejilan

Not at all likely. Maybe on the PSP2, however.

On that topic, though, I'd kill for a DQVIII port on the PSP. Especially now that I'm effectively done with DQVII. It's been about 2 years since I finished DQVIII, but I just can't be arsed to dedicate more console time to it (I have over 100 hours on the clock).

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Portability is a pretty huge big deal, and I think that would be sufficient to satisfy the "adding new features" bullet point. Hell, I think it was even mentioned in an interview excerpt quoted earlier this thread that they consider DQIX's portability one of its best NEW features.

Portability doesn't affect the game itself... just the convenience at which it can be played. It's not a feature at all, and thus isn't a good enough reason to forgo adding actual new features.

Mejilan

Aeana said:
Portability doesn't affect the game itself... just the convenience at which it can be played. It's not a feature at all, and thus isn't a good enough reason to forgo adding actual new features.

Doesn't affect the game for YOU perhaps. But to me, it's a pretty fucking huge feature. It's entirely subjective, of course, but Horii (I think?) thought it important enough to make specific mention of in one of those interviews. I think it was when he was asked about the benefits of working on the DS.

Himuro said:
Remake DQVIII with faster battles for the LOVE OF GOD. I didn't understand why older DQ fans complained about DQVIII's battles until I played I-VII and gave VIII a little spin.

It was torture.

For sure. But I ripped my copy to my PS2's HDD and played it from there, so that wiped out almost all of the load times introduced in the localized version. It basically ran as fast as the JP version did. But yeah, the battles definitely took a tad too long. But DQVII has nice and speedy battles, and I expect great things from the similarly-styled DS remakes of IV-VI.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Doesn't affect the game for YOU perhaps. But to me, it's a pretty fucking huge feature. It's entirely subjective, of course, but Horii (I think?) thought it important enough to make specific mention of in one of those interviews. I think it was when he was asked about the benefits of working on the DS.

No, it doesn't affect the game itself. Take a console game and put it on a handheld, change nothing, it's still exactly the same game, but now you may have more opportunities to play it. Portability is a (very nice) convenience, but that's all.

For example, the Dragon Quest 7 you just played through on your PSP is the same Dragon Quest 7 I play on my PS1. There's no difference.

birdchili

Himuro said:
I'm fine with the load times. My beef is the fact that the battles are much slower due to the added character animations.
there was loading *during* combat.

*no load time at all* should be the norm (even for entering combat) for random battle rpgs.

Mejilan

First of all, I HIGHLY doubt that they'll bother to port the game to the DS unchanged (content-wise). That's just not their thing for the DQ series. So we'll probably get new items and a more fleshed-out equipment system, a couple of new bosses and monsters, a couple of new dungeons, and possibly even a new story scenario after the main game. THAT'S much more their style when remaking DQs.

That said, I still think you're dead wrong about portability not counting as a feature. I've attempted to play through DQVII 3 or 4 times since I bought it, and never got past the 40 or 50 hour mark. Pop it onto the PSP and bam, a near-140 hour clear file that's only an hour or two from finishing the second (and final) bonus dungeon. Hell, once I finish this last dungeon, I'll also have a complete monster book. It's by no means a 100% file, but it's reasonably close. (All human classes mastered, all tinymedal prizes redeemed, monster park fully expanded, etc.)

So yeah, portability had a DRASTIC effect on my overall play experience. It was, for all intents and purposes, a game-making addition, or feature, if you will. The lack of such a feature on the PSOne was effectively game-breaking to me. But, as I said before, this is quite subjective. If one doesn't spend 2+ hours commuting on a subway/train/bus, each day, then yeah, not a big deal.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
How come I don't see Aeana/ethelred/johntv/myself/etc upset about it?
But you were upset about it... Oh! *looks at thread title* Thought this was about metroid prime..

Jiggy

Sounds strange coming from me, but if there were a DQIII remake I'd want to see it use the DQIX engine; the class system would probably play off the visible equipment changes very nicely.

justchris

I don't know, part of me is kinda worried that DQ9 won't feel like a DQ game because of the seeming focus on multiplayer, but to be honest, as long as it's still fun in it's own right, I don't think I'll really mind. I've learned better than to get caught up in game titles and franchise names, especially with rampant Mario spinoffism.

The way I'd like to see the multiplayer is almost as a Dragon-Quested Four Swords.

Your heroes from your own copies of the game all meet up via wifi, and you're all there together with all your equipment, EXP, levels etc.

By working together you could help a lower level friend tackle a harder dungeon to earn EXP quicker, or together a team of high levelled friends could take on a bonus dungeon that would be impossible to finish alone, but keep the whole game world accessible whilst this is happening.

So you could take your level 24 hero, play with a few friends online, then go back into your single player story mode later and thrash the next few bits of game with the extra levels you earned whilst playing with friends.

Aeana

I wish they'd update the DQ5 DS site... it's been 43 days since it opened, and it hasn't seen a single update.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aeana said:
I wish they'd update the DQ5 DS site... it's been 43 days since it opened, and it hasn't seen a single update.
are you really counting the days?

Aeana

Error said:
are you really counting the days?

Maybe I am. The game's supposed to be out in "spring," but if they intend to treat it the same way as DQ4, with lots of media before release, they really need to get started. :(

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I don't like where this is going. I would rather have this on the Wii with the DQ8 engine and execution*, and specially with NO multiplayer bullshit. As it stands, single player experience quality is going to take a huge blow for sure.

*at 10x the battle speed

jeremy1456

DKnight said:
I don't like where this is going. I would rather have this on the Wii with the DQ8 engine and execution*, and specially with NO multiplayer bullshit. As it stands, single player experience quality is going to take a huge blow for sure.

*at 10x the battle speed

BS bolded for your pleasure.

I really don't understand all the complaining, especially given that there's no indication of a low quality single player experience.

justchris

jeremy1456 said:

I really don't understand all the complaining, especially given that there's no indication of a low quality single player experience.

Well, to be fair, there's been no indication of any single player experience. All they've done is mention that there will be one, but every bit of media and talk about the game has been on the multiplayer.

I actually like the idea of multiplayer DQ though, so that doesn't bother me too much, as long as it has a better story than VIII did.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
jeremy1456 said:

Are you serious? there isn't infinite development resources; if they focus more in one area, the other is bound to be weaker. The info we have as of now is confusing at best, but it seems like MP is a big focus, which leaves me fearing for a mere afterthought SP (like having a carbon copy of the MP, only barren of real players).
I guess it's alright if you like MP rpgs (I don't, at least not as much as SP ones).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I absolutely love the 2D in DQ6/3r... was really hoping we would've gotten something like that for DQ4 DS and DQ9, but oh well, I'm happy with what we did get, too.

Red Scarlet said:
Playing FF4-6 two player shows to me that turn-based multiplayer not only can work, but can be a lot of fun as well. And if it's local-only, communication would make a non-ATB battle system work fine.

FF4-6 are two-player??

Red Scarlet

ethelred said:
They can all be, if you want them to. Error and Scar did an online 2-player playthough of FFIX, too.

4 is pick up and play 2 player, while 6 has a 2 player option to set up who uses who, while they added 2 player in 4 and 5 like it was in 6 on emulators.

Error and I didn't get far in 9 due to lag problems. 9 has a 2-player option like 6 did.

Aeana

I played through FF4 SNES with Scarlet recently, and had a lot of fun with that. I've also played through FF6 2-player twice, and that's also really fun. I'd love to try FF9 sometime. I'd kill for a patch for DQ5 that enabled such a feature. :(

As Scarlet's said, you only need to look as far as the FF games to see how multiplayer has already been implemented in regular RPGs. I think DQ9 is just taking it a step further so that you can also control your character outside of battle.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Offtopic:

RPG-gamers at GAF--I'd like to start a "NeoGAF Create-an-RPG Thread" where we take ideas for various aspects of an RPG (characters/design, battle system, magic system, upgrade/leveling system, setting, weapons/armor, and story) and then vote on them and create our very own RPG. God knows what we'd get but it sure would be fun. If anybody is interested in starting/maintaining/designing such a thread, PM me about it please. I'm looking specifically at Red Scarlett, Error, Dragona, Ethel. If anybody else has a good way of creating the thread and tallying ideas/votes, hit me up.

/sorry about OT

lyre

PantherLotus: sorry to be a debbie-downer, but that's a terrible idea.

Go play some video games or something. :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dunno, Horii made 8 (9 I guess if you count CT) great rpgs why would he suddenly churn out a not so good entry in this legendary series?

in Horii I trust. he has also said countless of times that DQ9 SP will be up on par with the rest of the series. there is not need to push the panic button yet.

Aeana

Error said:
I dunno, Horii made 8 (9 I guess if you count CT) great rpgs why would he suddenly churn out a not so good entry in this legendary series?

in Horii I trust. he has also said countless of times that DQ9 SP will be up on par with the rest of the series. there is not need to push the panic button yet.

The panic button was already pushed back when it was announced to be an action RPG. That may no longer be the case, but it keeps me from being optimistic... wondering just what other drastic changes slipped by.

Top Bottom