• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Wars for the DSiware

apujanata

Jonnyram said:
The free McDonalds DQ game is better than this AND you can win real food.
Please tell us more of this "free McDonalds DQ" game. Is it also DSware ? How do you get them ? Japan only ?

thetrin said:
I've been playing the Japanese version for a bit now, and I quite enjoy it. The single player levels feel a lot like puzzles, trying to move and situate your troops so you can kill enemies in the least amount of moves so they don't get a chance to hit you.

I haven't played much battle, but the modes I tried were interesting (including an invasion mode where you just need to occupy enemy space to win).

I need to play more of it.

Thanks for the short impression. Is it also 500 points in Japan ?

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
The free McDonalds DQ game is better than this AND you can win real food.

Okay, so let's delve deeper. IS (Nintendo) does a quickie strategy game for Dragon Quest (Enix) that isn't better than a MickeyD Japan-only (apparently) DQ game. IS is a great developer, and strategy is one of their very strong suits (Fire Emblem). Part of Nintendo payback for Dragon Quest (see: Stumpokapow's post about how Sony does all this not-anywhere-as-cool stuff for SEGA)? Prelude to something bigger (i.e. a "test" game)?

I do not believe that this was a randomly thrown together grouping. :p

JKTrix

I just played someone in Online Vs and won, however, it seems we both did not realize that the rounds are limited to 30 seconds. Part of my victory seems to be that he ran out of time on his side and failed to make the killing blow on one of my monsters.

30 seconds is way quick, but it keeps things pretty brisk.

It's also deeper than I expected. Not a bad $5.

Just beat the tutorial, haven't tried wi-fi yet. If your only attraction to this is out of love for the DQ license, you might want to reconsider. It's a good game, but it plays like a strategic board game, your units just happen to be DQ monsters.

That said, it's one of the best things on DSiWare and it a lot of fun. I spent my other 500 points on PiCTOBiTS so I'm in DSi heaven.

platypotamus said:
Interest, but only likely to ever play solo. Any fun to be had alone with this one?

There's a ten stage tutorial and a free-play mode with the option to play 1 on 1 with a computer or to do a four team free-for-all. There's no goal (other than winning) or story to drive the gameplay. If you enjoy the mechanics enough you can get a lot of play time out of it, though.

Olaeh

Sounds interesting.... I might bite. I did clock 33 hours in Crystal Defenders R1, I seem to get the most out of SE's DD games.

Oli

I have 500 points I was saving for this, but I've been overloaded with games at the moment so I've been holding back. Should I download this now urgently (as a huge fan of turn based strategy games), or should I wait until I clear the queue?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Oli said:
I have 500 points I was saving for this, but I've been overloaded with games at the moment so I've been holding back. Should I download this now urgently (as a huge fan of turn based strategy games), or should I wait until I clear the queue?

Unless that queue is also within the library that is DSiWare, then you should probably blow the 500 points you have on this. It compliments short bursts of play, so you don't have to dedicate too much time to it.

Top Bottom