• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

Gloam

When will we find out more info? TGS?

The most likely scenario would be a separate press conference. Whether or not it's in or around TGS is anyone's guess. Hopefully, we'll see something this year three years is a long enough time between big announcements.

clem84

Gold Member
I really hope at the next DQ press conference in Japan some Japanese journalist is gonna be decent enough to ask if whether or not there are plans to bring DQ games to the rest of the world. This is insane. WTF is SE thinking? The numbers for past DQ games in the rest of the world are decent. They're not horrible. We should be getting SOMETHING. Everyday I come onto these boards praying for news of DQ localisations. It feels like it's bee forever since the last DQ game we received.

KtSlime

I really hope at the next DQ press conference in Japan some Japanese journalist is gonna be decent enough to ask if whether or not there are plans to bring DQ games to the rest of the world. This is insane. WTF is SE thinking? The numbers for past DQ games in the rest of the world are decent. They're not horrible. We should be getting SOMETHING. Everyday I come onto these boards praying for news of DQ localisations. It feels like it's bee forever since the last DQ game we received.

Why should they care. If you want an English translation, you should ask SE (America) or Nintendo of America for one. SE Japan has little to no say what their overseas branches do.

Besides, I don't think it would sell well outside of Japan anyway, their past efforts did terribly, and I bet it's because many of you didn't buy them (not a true successor to DQ 8, not good enough graphics, reading is too hard why no voice acting, LOL DS, classic RPGs confuse me, etc). You don't have to buy them if you don't want, but don't be surprised when they stop releasing them.

Why should they care. If you want an English translation, you should ask SE (America) or Nintendo of America for one. SE Japan has little to no say what their overseas branches do.

Besides, I don't think it would sell well outside of Japan anyway, their past efforts did terribly, and I bet it's because many of you didn't buy them (not a true successor to DQ 8, not good enough graphics, reading is too hard why no voice acting, LOL DS, classic RPGs confuse me, etc). You don't have to buy them if you don't want, but don't be surprised when they stop releasing them.

Dragon Quest IX outsold DQVIII in the Americas and Europe

KtSlime

Still doesn't matter. I was thinking of the reception the remakes of 5, and 6, got, and of the poor sales of their Monsters Joker games. Then when you consider that both America and Europe are drastically larger markets than Japan, yet Japan sold over 4 times more alone, it's not any surprise to me that they don't want to deal with trying to convince SE America which only cares for FF to attempt another translation.

sörine;109851529 said:
DQX is a Wii game. That decision was made a long time ago and Wii still seemed to be the best platform for DQ's target audience when it came time to release. As evidenced by the 650k it already sold on Wii.

Nintendo moneyhats are a pretty low probability because an MMO that's already done most of it's business just isn't worth moneyhatting for console only exclusivity. Wii is done selling and this isn't the sort of game that's going to sell Wii U systems. There's no real reason for Nintendo to moneyhat so why would they?

If it was moneyhatted it probably wouldn't be on PC or Android and Nintendo probably would've thrown promotional money and a worldwide publishing deal at it. None of that happened so why is it so obviously clear it was moneyhatted again? Where's the inference? Simply because it's not on PS3 it must be moneyhatted?

As I said Nintendo probably, laughably, thought that it was going to sell WiiU's. Its a pretty simple moneyhat. Only on Nintendo consoles. SE is not that stupid to prevent an MMO coming to the PC lol.

Again the inference is obvious. Massively popular franchise has a HD port peculiarly only for a console that has not only come out but fails to sell well once it has and ignores a console with a 10 million install base for over a year. I

It did? They both sold around 1 million iirc.

Tripon

Don't know why we're talking about DQX and why its on Nintendo platforms. It's pretty simple, the Wii sold 12 million in Japan, and the Wii U has backwards compatibility, that's all to it.

Anyway, DQXI will likely be a 3DS exclusive, which I hope will push Square-Enix to start localizing these games again. There's no point of pretending that there isn't an audience for these games in the west. Keep expectations in check, and release games for people who want to play them.

KtSlime

Don't know why we're talking about DQX and why its on Nintendo platforms. It's pretty simple, the Wii sold 12 million in Japan, and the Wii U has backwards compatibility, that's all to it.

Anyway, DQXI will likely be a 3DS exclusive, which I hope will push Square-Enix to start localizing these games again. There's no point of pretending that there isn't an audience for these games in the west. Keep expectations in check, and release games for people who want to play them.

Not enough would sell. SE sells over 4 million copies in a country of less than 127. Europe has what, 740 million people and US/Canada has what somewhere around 349 million? That's over a billion people, but they barely get a million to buy it? Not worth the effort, they should be selling like 10 million in the west, minimum.

AniHawk

Not enough would sell. SE sells over 4 million copies in a country of less than 127. Europe has what, 740 million people and US/Canada has what somewhere around 349 million? That's over a billion people, but they barely get a million to buy it? Not worth the effort, they should be selling like 10 million in the west, minimum.

getting a million people to buy their game is hunky dory for square enix. it's when they can't get 250,000 people to do it that there's a problem. i think that's the reason you don't see the dqm remakes or the third rocket slime game. maybe dqvii too. i'm pretty sure we'd see a dqxi, if nothing else, nintendo trying to keep a good relationship with square enix.

there aren't a ton of games selling 10 million based off western gamers. so that's a pretty unreasonable expectation.

Oxx

You wouldn't blame SE for localising only the mainline DQ games based on their experience of the DS generation. But I'm not sure if such a void between releases is particularly beneficial either.

KtSlime

getting a million people to buy their game is hunky dory for square enix. it's when they can't get 250,000 people to do it that there's a problem. i think that's the reason you don't see the dqm remakes or the third rocket slime game. maybe dqvii too. i'm pretty sure we'd see a dqxi, if nothing else, nintendo trying to keep a good relationship with square enix.

there aren't a ton of games selling 10 million based off western gamers. so that's a pretty unreasonable expectation.

Is it? When DQIX came out in Japan, it had an attach rate of somewhere around 15%. That means for every 6 DS at least 1 person owned a copy. In the whole rest (excluding Japan) of the world a year later there were over 98 million DS, yet only maybe 1.2 million copies sold (that's being generous) that means 1 out of every 83 DS owners owned the game? That's just depressing.

This also ignores the fact that it was not SE who brought over IX, but Nintendo, on their dime. If it weren't for Nintendo I doubt it would have ever been released. Maybe you guys will get lucky and Nintendo will translate XI as well, but I'd be willing to bet it won't be at SE's expense.

AniHawk

Is it? When DQIX came out in Japan, it had an attach rate of somewhere around 15%. That means for every 6 DS at least 1 person owned a copy. In the whole rest (excluding Japan) of the world a year later there were over 98 million DS, yet only maybe 1.2 million copies sold (that's being generous) that means 1 out of every 83 DS owners owned the game? That's just depressing.

This also ignores the fact that it was not SE who brought over IX, but Nintendo, on their dime. If it weren't for Nintendo I doubt it would have ever been released. Maybe you guys will get lucky and Nintendo will translate XI as well, but I'd be willing to bet it won't be at SE's expense.

demographics, wants, and needs are different depending on culture and history.

KtSlime

demographics, wants, and needs are different depending on culture and history.

That's definitely true, and from SE Japan's perspective, the west does not want DQ games, so they don't need to do the leg work. If Nintendo is willing to cough up the cash to license it, so be it, but with that low of attach rate, it's not worth the effort of dealing with the idiots at SE America.

Top Bottom