• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition |OT| S is for Special

Pejo

Man I really want the extra content and the 8bit mode, but I already sunk a ton of hours into the PC version. Exclusive content sucks. Any of you guys already play this on PC and pick it up? How much worse are the graphics/performance?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man I really want the extra content and the 8bit mode, but I already sunk a ton of hours into the PC version. Exclusive content sucks. Any of you guys already play this on PC and pick it up? How much worse are the graphics/performance?
I played on my PS4pro and playing again on Switch. In my opinion other than being much lower resolution looks pretty damn good to me. I'm sure there are tons of videos out there to show graphic comparison between each system. This no different than Persona 4 Golden, Catherine Full Body and upcoming Persona 5 Royal, it depends if you enjoyed game enough to do another playthrough for its extra content.

Komatsu

I mean, the orchestral soundtrack is better (though you could mod it in the PC version) and the 3D/high-poly mode looks *almost* as good, though the bloom and bokeh effects are not as pronounced.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it's 16bit
you TWAT

jrtv51afutjttc9vyygy.jpg
8 BIT

marioworld_660.jpg
16 BIT

Last edited:

Bakkus

I heard you can mod it for PC version.
i know about that. Those mods get instaremoved on Steam, tho. What caused Sugiyama to be ok with this for this version? Also, is this version planned for a PS4 release? I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but it will look better on PS4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i know about that. Those mods get instaremoved on Steam, tho. What caused Sugiyama to be ok with this for this version? Also, is this version planned for a PS4 release? I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but it will look better on PS4.
Other than PS4 version being sharper in visuals, everything else Switch version is better and added point is I can play long JRPG like DQXI in handled, it pretty huge plus in my book. Also Switch version still looks good pretty damn good visually to me.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
There’s been no official announcement, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the extra features were patched into the PS4 version later.

In saying that, the Switch version is great.

FMXVII

How do you get the bonus items, like in the PS4 version?

How do you get the "new", Switch content?

I cannot find either.

FMXVII

Also:

What - really? None of the cool PS4 bonus items? No Supplicant? No Vest?

SMGDH.

This ain't definitive, much less Definitive.

How do you get the bonus items, like in the PS4 version?

How do you get the "new", Switch content?

I cannot find either.

It's in the menu screen in game. Should be under "settings" and gives a specific option to "claim reward". Forgot where exactly but there's a specific claim reward listing in a sub section.

It gives out the bonus stuff that was given for the PS4 version as well.

FMXVII

It's in the menu screen in game. Should be under "settings" and gives a specific option to "claim reward". Forgot where exactly but there's a specific claim reward listing in a sub section.

It gives out the bonus stuff that was given for the PS4 version as well.

I tried that

There was nothing there.

I went to the download demo screen on the store, clicked to start download, and the option for a Free Content Pack showed up.

I downloaded it.

It gave me the Trodain Set, a Veronica Set, an Erik Cloak, a Gold Find Cloak, and 5 Seeds

No Supplicant or HP Card Accessories, though.

The PS4 had those.

Last edited:

drganon

I might get this in the future. I beat the ps4 version and enjoyed it alot.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Tried the new content. I have to say most was well done and helps flesh out the story during Act II.

Erik's and Rab's story was the highlights for me.

Fbh

Gonna bump this because this version is now also on consoles and PC. Finally got this on PC. Was a bit bumped about the graphical downgrade but at least it runs at 60fps on my laptop and with some ini file modifications you can get some more foliage and better AA.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any advice if it's worth it to stick with the "harder enemies" draconian setting. Started with it since I read the game is really easy otherwise but so far I'm not too sold on the option.
Enemies are strong but since right now I only have 2 characters with limited skills, so far it has felt hard in a "stock up on healing items and maybe grind more" kinda way.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My last DQ was 8, so I’m really surprised at how lenient 11 has been in the first 8 hours or so. I never really went anywhere near death. I’m at the point where my party members became 4.

On the other hand, the Exp requirements for leveling up have gotten pretty high real quick.
So far the story and the gameplay haven’t been exactly exciting. I guess the QoL features such as camps and instant crafting take some of the tension away. Most of all though, it’s the fact that battles aren’t random. Makes such a huge difference.

I’m expecting the difficulty to ramp up a bit now that I have 4 characters. Guess enemy groups will get larger quick.

daveonezero

Banned
I would say yes turn on the Harder enemies option. I regret not doing it.
My last DQ was 8, so I’m really surprised at how lenient 11 has been in the first 8 hours or so. I never really went anywhere near death. I’m at the point where my party members became 4.

On the other hand, the Exp requirements for leveling up have gotten pretty high real quick.
So far the story and the gameplay haven’t been exactly exciting. I guess the QoL features such as camps and instant crafting take some of the tension away. Most of all though, it’s the fact that battles aren’t random. Makes such a huge difference.

I’m expecting the difficulty to ramp up a bit now that I have 4 characters. Guess enemy groups will get larger quick.
I felt the same way. My last was the DS game and it was tough. I'm quite a ways into DQXI and would like to make it more difficult but I can't. I did turn on the no EXP Draconian bu wish I also did the super tough enemy one.

Last edited:
been playing this on the switch - my first DQ mainline game...i just finished the
mermaid story arc, well just about i think, need to pick up the orb on the strand island....

so far there was one boss who gave me a licking, but other than that the game is a pretty straight forward breeze. side quests seem pretty useless. everything feels like a chore fetch quest. baddies feel uninspired. game just really feels...simple all around. the music is primo though. not really sure what to expect from the rest of the game. not sure if its worth my time to play it through either.

most fun i have is doing the crafting forge

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
been playing this on the switch - my first DQ mainline game...i just finished the
mermaid story arc, well just about i think, need to pick up the orb on the strand island....

so far there was one boss who gave me a licking, but other than that the game is a pretty straight forward breeze. side quests seem pretty useless. everything feels like a chore fetch quest. baddies feel uninspired. game just really feels...simple all around. the music is primo though. not really sure what to expect from the rest of the game. not sure if its worth my time to play it through either.

most fun i have is doing the crafting forge
Yeah its a pretty slow burn but I've had fun. I just wish the combat was a bit more challenging or strategic. I'm so far in I stopped playing because I'm just one shotting nearly everything with my big sword.

Top Bottom