• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Caerith

CLdzKZx.png

You have journeyed to the kingdom of Hydeland to face the dangers of the labyrinth and retrieve the legendary Dragon's Crown.

Only a handful of those who enter the labyrinth survive. In fact, it's considered fortunate if even your remains leave the labyrinth...

7MuHgH8.png

You see a notice posted here. It reads:
Dragon's Crown is a sidescrolling arcade-style beat 'em RPG of adventure, danger, and:

• Six character classes with unique playstyles and customizable skill sets.
  • RPG mainstays such as experience-based leveling, equipment, and quests.
  • Shops, guilds, and various NPCs to help or hinder you on your quest.
  • Loot!
  • Drop-in/drop-out local + online multiplayer.
  • 100% more hot pot than the leading competitor!
In it, you will explore some of the most amazing hand-painted territory ever seen by mortals. No PS3 or Vita should be without one!

PuhhQMG.png

As you read the notice, a small fairy flies into view. Noticing your confusion, the fairy approaches and, through various interpretive gestures, indicates to you the following:

Developer: Vanillaware
Publisher (JP, NA) & co-Developer: Atlus
Publisher (EU, AU): NIS America
Director: George Kamitani
Composer: Hitoshi Sakimoto

Platforms: Playstation 3, Playstation Vita
  • Crossplay: No Yes (as of 15 October 2013)
  • Crossbuy: No
  • Cross-save: Yes
  • Region Locked: No
  • Download Size: 1582MB (PS3), 1133MB (PSV)
  • HDD Install Size: 1325MB (PS3)
  • Custom Soundtrack Support (Vita): Yes, but why would you?
  • Video: 1080p (PS3)
  • Audio:
    • North America: English or Japanese for characters; English for narrator and NPCs
    • Japan: English or Japanese for characters; English or Japanese for narrator and NPCs
    • Europe: TBD
    • Australia: TBD
Release Dates:
  • Japan: July 25, 2013
  • North America: August 6, 2013
  • Europe: October 11, 2013
  • Australia: October 11, 2013
Price (PS3): $49.99
Price (PSV): $39.99

Pre-Order Bonus: 64-page Dragon's Crown Artworks art book (soft-cover)

rbABQDn.jpg

Gold not included.

DLC:
  • Storyteller Voice Pack - Cosmetic DLC, adds the option to change the narrator's voice to any of the six playable characters (same-region VAs only).
    Price: $1.99
    Note: Voice packs can be unlocked through gameplay; purchasing this DLC only saves time and effort. To unlock a character's voice pack, beat Normal difficulty with them and you can purchase their voice pack for 1 million gold.

AyNdgm6.jpg

Dragon's Crown is suitable for 1-4 players of 13th level and above.

Thanking the fairy for her advice, you decide to seek a nearby inn for room, board, and a pint of ale to keep you company as you mull over everything the fairy told you.

63ekce8.jpg

As you enter the tavern, an outburst of boisterous laughter draws your attention to a large table where you are startled to see an elf and dwarf sitting side by side with four humans.

There are six character classes to choose from, each with their own unique strengths, skills, and palette swaps.

mXFeSlY.png
Each class has its own stat growth from level to level. Their affinities are ranked E (worst) through S (best). The six stats, and what they do, are:
  • STR - Strength - physical attacks
  • INT - Intelligence - magic attacks
  • CON - Constitution - physical defense
  • MGR - Magic Resistance - magic defense
  • DEX - Dexterity - weapon damage stability
  • LUC - Luck - critical hit rate
Dragon's Crown Skill Calculator (includes skill names and descriptions)

Zm8mvVr.png

Bewitching women with knowledge of dark magic. They are weak of body, but the great knowledge they wield of the arcane arts cannot be ignored. Sorceresses can create delicious food, control skeletons, and turn foes into harmless frogs. A jack-of-all-trades support class, they can provide aid to their friends in countless ways.

STR: E | CON: D | INT: A | MGR: S | DEX: B | LUC: A

e3aatrd.gif

Sorceresses are defensive spellcasters who can protect their party from damage, enfeeble their enemies, and animate skeletons from the bones of fallen adventurers. While they can cast offensive magic, they exchange the raw damage of the Wizard for added enfeebling effects to keep their party safe.

lusDQWc.png

Dauntless warriors who know no fear as they effortlessly wield their two-handed weapons. Their massive equipment delivers vicious blows that deal lethal damage to multiple foes at once. Lightly armored, they are agile fighters who rely on punishing kicks when unarmed.

STR: A | CON: C | INT: C | MGR: C | DEX: B | LUC: A

idUhFBO.gif

Amazons are specialized attackers of the high risk, high reward school of battle. The more they attack, the faster their attacks become, provided they can avoid getting hit.

Zs4y9UL.png

Experts in battle, outfitted with full-plate armor and a sturdy shield. Boasting the stoutest defense of all classes, their shields can protect all allies in the nearby area. Their one-handed weapons have short reach, but they can swing them quickly, allowing them to make short work of nearby foes.

STR: S | CON: A | INT: D | MGR: C | DEX: B | LUC: B

EkwF1XB.gif

Fighters are close-range attackers who specialize in defense. Able to block most attacks, they can attract the attention of enemies and protect their allies in battle.

NEkAso0.png

Male magicians who have a wealth of magic at their beck and call. Unable to fend off monsters with strength, they instead rely on their spells, and are vital assets for any adventure.

STR: D | CON: C | INT: S | MGR: A | DEX: B | LUC: D

iRrQyfd.gif

Wizards are offensive spellcasters, attacking with high damage wide-area spells like Meteor Swarm, Thunderbolt, and Storm before teleporting out of harm's way. They can also support their party by creating golems out of boxes and casting Slow to debuff foes.

ReDQzjp.png

A long-lived race who are often much older than they appear to human eyes. While slight of body, they are deadly masters of the bow and arrow, using their superior athleticism to fight nimbly and fearlessly from a distance.

STR: B | CON: C | INT: B | MGR: C | DEX: A | LUC: A

TAKDkGo.gif

Elves are fast attackers, able to strike from a distance with archery or handle things up close with swift kicks and swifter evasion. They can become even deadlier by adding fire or poison to their arrows, or switching to daggers for a lethal backstab.

ENcmF7B.png

Stocky fighters whose muscular frames permit them to wield a weapon in each hand. Their strength lets them pick up and throw anything in sight, even heavy foes. Throwing enemies lets them damage multiple foes with one fling, laying waste to an entire horde of adversaries.

STR: S | CON: S | INT: E | MGR: D | DEX: C | LUC: B

ZqCFgKE.gif

Dwarves are close-range attackers who can withstand and deal out significant damage. Using grabs, throws, and bombs, they make short work of any foe who gets in range.

EWbIeFz.png

Rannie is a rogue who has the ability to open locked doors and treasure boxes scattered throughout the dungeons. He is powerless in battle, but he is highly skilled at picking locks.

Tiki is a fairy that joins you during your adventures and acts as a guide. She'll point out various things that may have slipped your gaze in the heat of battle.

Rannie is an NPC follower who can be directed to unlock doors and chests with the right analogue stick (or touch screen on Vita). He gains experience and levels up by successfully unlocking doors and treasure boxes without setting off any traps. As he levels, his success rate increases and the time it takes to pick a lock decreases.

Tiki is a good role model.

82xDUaI.png

You depart the tavern to pay a visit to the local Adventurers Guild, but as you leave the Dragon's Haven Inn, you notice Rannie following you. He offers you a bit of advice, free of charge, and tells you about the adventuring climate in Hydeland.

Dragon's Crown is an arcade-style beat 'em up similar to Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom & Shadow over Mystara, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and X-Men: Welcome To Die Edition. Up to four players can party together to defeat hordes of monsters and screen-filling bosses.

Dragon's Crown is also an RPG. Characters gain experience points and levels, learn new skills, and equip new weapons and accessories.

Besides beating 'em up and leveling 'em up, Dragon's Crown has a number of characteristic gameplay features:

• Temporary Equipment: In addition to each character's arsenal of attacks, there are various special weapons that can be equipped during a level. Take aim with a crossbow, arm yourself with a statue's arm, or set the world ablaze riding a fire-breathing dinosaur.
    vnY6NBL.jpg
  • Born To Rune: Hidden throughout the labyrinths are etched runes. If these runes are combined with rune stones to spell a three-rune magic word, it can invoke powerful magic effects such as opening hidden doors or bringing statues to life.
    0GLwod5.jpg
  • Food and Cooking: In addition to quaffing potions to recover health, characters can eat food to heal up to 150% of their maximum health. If you set up camp between missions instead of returning to town, you can play a cooking mini-game to get bonuses for the next dungeon.
    acFwq1m.jpg
  • Loot: Treasure chests and bosses have random, unidentified loot. Treasure is ranked E (worst) to S (best), and you can sell it outright, or pay to get it appraised and see if it's worth using.
    3ljn6xM.jpg
  • Quests: Besides the main story, there are side quests that can reward you with experience, treasure, and artwork.
    uTRQ3O6.jpg
Dragon's Crown has four difficulties, each with a corresponding level cap:
  • Normal: Level Cap: 35
  • Hard: Level Cap: 65
  • Infernal: Level Cap: 99
  • Ultimate: Level Cap: 255
Completing Normal leads into Hard, and completing Hard leads into Infernal. Beyond Infernal, there is the Labyrinth of Chaos, a randomized dungeon with harder challenges, better loot, and a trophy. The real Dragon's Crown starts here.

And if that's not enough, the fifth patch introduced the Ultimate difficulty, upping the level cap to 255 and adding the Tower of Mirages, a randomly-generated dungeon with "tens of thousands" of levels.

mXmmIgJ.png

Rannie finishes his explanation, and with a grin, leaves you one last piece of cryptic advice:
"You must gather your party before venturing forth."

Dragon's Crown can be played solo, local co-op, online co-op, and local + online co-op with up to 4 players.

However, online co-op is only available after progressing to a certain point in the story-- once you have cleared each stage's "A" path (you will be around level 17), you can go online. This same restriction is in place for local ("ad hoc") co-op with the Vita. There is no restriction for local co-op with the PS3.

Playing with GAF

Dragon's Crown GAF Playerlist (Thanks, CrazyTank940!)

Note: Because we can't have nice things, the GAF list is now read-only. To be added, please PM CrazyTank940 directly.

Wood You Kindly...

You can smash boxes and stuff to get food.

Wizards have the ability to turn (un-smashed) boxes and stuff into wood golems and you still get food.

Wizards can even strengthen their golems by using more (un-smashed) boxes and stuff. You still get food.

If you're playing with a Wizard, don't smash boxes unless they aren't making golems. You still get food.

Lovely Bones

During your adventures, you will come across the remains of dead adventurers. If you recover their bones, they can be revived in town at Canaan Temple. Adventurers you revive will join your party as AI-controlled characters.

Or you could just let the Sorceress use necromancy to raise them as skeletons to do her bidding.

PVP

The PVP arena is unlocked after beating the game on Normal difficulty.

Express Yourself (So You Can Respect Your Elf)

There are a number of cosmetic customization options available for your character.

1Z1rcOm.jpg

And here's what those options mean:

• Edit Name: Change your name, change your style:
    KC98I8u.jpg
  • Color: Each class has its own set of palette swaps (see the character section above for examples).
  • Voice: Your character can grunt and shout in English or Japanese.
    • Greeting message: What does your character say when it's clobberin' time?
    • Selection message: What does your character say when picked as an NPC?
    • Resurrection message: What would you say if you were brought back to life??
    • Dying message: What would you say if you were a pile of bones?
These can be set when creating your character or edited at any time thereafter.

gqYhzpf.jpg

Trailers:

01fAJ7G.png

To be updated as more reviews are published.

KSfbxXM.png

Q. How long is the campaign?
A. A single character can beat Normal in 10-20 hours.
Q. 20 hours, times 6 characters... Who the hell wants a 120-hour beat-em-up?
A.
jrH29LP.gif

Q. Is there a considerable amount of fan art, including works that may be NSFW?
A. Yes.
Q. Which version should I buy?
I rounded up all the info we have so far on the differences between the two versions:

Vita
+ OLED screen making the game prettier.
+ Touch controls to pick up stuff/open chests.
+ The ability to take screenshots.
- Framerate buckles under pressure when heaps of stuff is happening on the screen
- Easier to lose track of your character due to the smaller screen.

PS3
+ A more stable framerate.
+ Play it on a big T.V.
+ A little easier to keep track of your character.
- Having to move the cursor to pick up stuff/open chests.
- Can’t take screenshots.
Q. Is that fairy drunk?
A. You're drunk.
Q. Are there any videos of the Japanese voice actress for the Elf playing Dragon's Crown with three friends?
A. Yes.

Thanks to CrazyTank940 (for the GAF players spreadsheet), KDash31987 (for collecting an internet's worth of pictures in one two albums (1, 2)), and Tricky I Shadow (for the PS3 vs Vita comparison)!
Further thanks to everyone in this thread for being an awesome community!

Nice OT! The art of this game is beautiful. :) Might import this and not wait on the EU release later this year if this proves a big critical success.

antitrop

Gorgeous OP. Gorgeous game.

I didn't know it at the time, but I think this game is probably the reason I bought my Vita.

Kyoufu

I'd like to mention that you will lose track of your character even on the PS3 version. It's pretty annoying.

Only thing that helps a little is enabling health bars, but it's still easy to lose track. :/

Grisby

One of the best OT's I've ever read. Love the style. You'd make a good DM.

Now to begin the wait for next Tuesday.

Excellent OT......oh hey, my pros and cons list made it into the OP! ^_^

Anyway, Vita version day 1 whenever the hell it comes out in Australia.

Knuf

Great OT. Can't wait for my import copy to arrive!
Will be playing only with sorceress
' boobs

I'd like to mention that you will lose track of your character even on the PS3 version. It's pretty annoying.

Only thing that helps a little is enabling health bars, but it's still easy to lose track. :/

I can second that, and it's especially true if there are multiple versions of your class at once...sometimes I thought I was someone else only to realize later I'm in fact at the opposite side slashing into nothing.

Dinjooh

Still haven't found a proper place to import. Costs are going up to about 100$ total for it, which.. Is just a tad too much.

Good work on the thread, Caerith! I like how it's written as if the game's narrator was speaking to you. Too awesome.

Plus the fact that you included the "100% more hot pot than the leading competitor!" line and the Gary Oldman gif from Leon: The Professional in there is just wonderful.

Thanks to CrazyTank940 (for the GAF players spreadsheet), KDash31987 (for collecting an internet's worth of pictures in one album), and Tricky I Shadow (for the PS3 vs Vita comparison)!

Haha. You're welcome, man.

ironcreed

Banned
Very cool. If anything, this will at least be a nice change of pace with some fantastic art. This one has been a long time coming and the price is nice.

ironchair

Banned
I think this is actually the first game that I've ever pre-ordered pretty much solely for the art style. Has anyone else done that before?

-PXG-

#TeamHometown

We in there y'all. Can't fucking wait

Edit

For some reason I was a maybe for the PS3 version. More like a big ole Yes. Day one PS3 dis shiz

Oh dammit. I was convincing myself that I could skip this, but then I read the phrase "random loot" and my ears perked up... *sigh* Fine, I added myself to the player list. Twist my arm, why don't you! Think I'm gonna have to go #TeamVita.

Andrew.

Banned
I had no idea this game existed until today.

A Vanillaware side scrolling beat em up RPG? If it's anything like Muramasa (and it does look that way) yes fucking please.

Top Bottom