• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown ships over 300k in Japan across PS3 and Vita

Is this all that you can see in a game that seems to have deep gameplay, awesome graphics, rpg aspects, tons of contents and many more?
I love Vanillaware and bought and enjoyed every game they've released,it saddens me a little that their most successful game now is the one that has sexual themes that for me seems tacked on.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
GrimGrimoire too. The game will benefit from Vita's touch screen.

Although GrimGrimoire is a NIS/Vanillaware joint project, so hopefully NIS will port it.

$h@d0w

I love Vanillaware and bought and enjoyed every game they've released,it saddens me a little that their most successful game now is the one that has sexual themes that for me seems tacked on.

If you play it, you'll realise that as usual, people were making a big deal out of nothing.

(I have the game.)

omg_mjd

Who would've thought Sex sells!

All those people bought the game at full price to uh...ogle at it?

I really don't think that's the case.

On a different note, I'm happy for Vanillaware's success and I hope this leads to even more games down the line, especially for the Vita.

Do you not remember Velvet from Odin Sphere?
Kitsune from Muramasa?

Vanillaware always put a lot of sexy ladies in their games.

If you played and own all VW games, you should know there are sexual themes in all of them.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Tacked on? Its the main art style and it's beautiful. Finally thick womanly women are being represented. It is proggressive.
He-Feminists aka He-Fems are the worst.... This white knight syndrome must stop.
I feel that this game cannot be discussed without turds stinking up the punch bowl.

Again great job VanillaWare my Wifey is thick & absolutely loves the art style. It's way better than the female representation in Muramasa for example.

duckroll

If you have nothing to say about the sales, take your social commentary or perversion or whatever elsewhere. This thread is not the place.

Helloween

Those are some great numbers! I'm really chuffed it's doing so well already. I hope the American Sales do something similar.

It's done WAY better than I thought.

But, the upswing is that I'm interested now after watching a stream randomly, didn't realize it was RPG-ish until then.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So, with the sell-through data we had... isn't this painting like some... 60-80k for digital downloads across PS3 and Vita?

Fucking wow. So happy George and co have finally had a big success. Just goes to show, good and visible marketing really makes a damn large difference.

boinx

The game will probably sell more thanks to Kotaku's articles. Helped raise the awareness quite a bit. Here's hoping this will do over 500k worldwide!

SmokyDave

They shipped, what, 190-200k initially?

121,000 PS3 units, but I don't know about Vita. It sold ~75k on Vita so using mathematics and the sell though I posted above, you can probably come up with a fairly decent guess. I'd do it myself but it's too early for maths.

Fuck it:

02./00. [PS3] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 104.359 / NEW <94,73%>
03./00. [PSV] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 71.083 / NEW <83,38%>

That's easier to read than my meandering nonsense.

Bombless

Great news. I ordered a copy from VG+ but I will also buy a local copy once it's released in the EU. Gotta support this effort.

Anhkow

Dragon's Crown ships over 300k in Japan across PS3 and Vita

aZTOCE6.gif

zeopower6

Are we ever going to get Grand Knights History? :(

I think it is possible. IIRC, translation work was done on XSEED's side but Vanillaware had their hands full with Dragon's Crown. Hopefully they can get something done with GKH now that DC is out

DigitalOp

Banned
Sweet. Yeah.. I'm going Day 1 for Vita. Love seeing great games being rewarded. Might as well preorder for the artbook I guess.

This is awesome news. Really excited for Vanillaware

GrimGrimoire is the best Vanillaware game. I'll totally get a sequel or enhanced port with some multiplayer features and a bunch of unique challenge missions added.

hmm..that's interesting. I have that game still in plastic. never quite got around to it.

Raist

Banned
121,000 PS3 units, but I don't know about Vita. It sold ~75k on Vita so using mathematics and the sell though I posted above, you can probably come up with a fairly decent guess. I'd do it myself but it's too early for maths.

Fuck it:

02./00. [PS3] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 104.359 / NEW <94,73%>
03./00. [PSV] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 71.083 / NEW <83,38%>

That's easier to read than my meandering nonsense.

So yeah, around that I guess. It's quite funny that they mention shipping and include DD.

duckroll

So yeah, around that I guess. It's quite funny that they mention shipping and include DD.

To a publisher, what is shipped is sold. They're selling either directly to consumers via DD, or they're selling to retailers by shipping units to stores. So it's not unusual for them to have a total figure which combines their retail shipment along with the DD sales, since that would be the total number of units the publisher has sold so far.

GrimGrimoire is the best Vanillaware game. I'll totally get a sequel or enhanced port with some multiplayer features and a bunch of unique challenge missions added.

Beatifull idea but kinda boring in the end.

I think it was my first PS2 game i've completed :D

Top Bottom