• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide

231129a.png

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that worldwide sales of Dragon's Dogma 2 surpassed 2.5 million units.

The Dragon's Dogma series consists of action games in a fantasy setting where players adventure in an expansive open world of swords and magic. Since the release of the first game in 2012, the series garnered praise worldwide for gameplay features such as its "pawn" adventure companions who can carry out actions on their own, leading the series to exceed 10 million units sold cumulatively.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Correction: It would be slightly higher numbers if the media hadn't lied about the MTX and had actually explained that all the DLC items can be obtained in game and that there are actually no features locked behind microtransactions.
I guess I agree except for effectively locking out new game and only have one saveslot.

I already had several bugged out quest that took me hours to figure out, issues that would be easy to solve if I could load a previous save.

Anyway, 2.5 mill is not that much.. I'm kinda surprised actually..

Last edited:

GHG

Correction: It would be slightly higher numbers if the media hadn't lied about the MTX and had actually explained that all the DLC items can be obtained in game and that there are actually no features locked behind microtransactions.

Not entirely true.

You can buy an extra portcrystal the should have been in the game, and it's abundantly obvious where it should have been once you get there.

Sakura

Not entirely true.

You can buy an extra portcrystal the should have been in the game, and it's abundantly obvious where it should have been once you get there.
Not really sure what you mean. You can get portable portcrystals in game. Sure you can buy more as DLC but you can only set up to 10 in the world anyway iirc.

StereoVsn

Not really sure what you mean. You can get portable portcrystals in game. Sure you can buy more as DLC but you can only set up to 10 in the world anyway iirc.
Capcom made the game more inconvenient in order to sell DLC. There is no need to defend that bullshit.

Edit: And the whole single save game shenanigans where you couldn’t even wipe your game without jumping through hoops was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sakura

Capcom made the game more inconvenient in order to sell DLC. There is no need to defend that bullshit.

Edit: And the whole single save game shenanigans where you couldn’t even wipe your game without jumping through hoops was ridiculous.
The original game had the same fast travel mechanic, and didn't sell extra ones as DLC, so I disagree that they made the game more inconvenient to sell DLC.
Furthermore, ferrystones, the items you actually need to fast travel, are not sold as DLC, so your argument doesn't even make sense.

As always, just seems like people who don't understand/haven't played the game spreading misinformation.

GHG

Play more and you'll see what I mean.

I'm 50 hours in and have only come across 2 permanent portcrystal structures in the game, one of which is in a stupid/pointless place.

With the portable ones you don't even get access to 10 in a single playthrough and the only way to get more than the handful you can get in-game is by purchasing them via DLC/microtransactions.

As always, just seems like people who don't understand/haven't played the game spreading misinformation.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

As usual the defenders of blatant bullshit practices will defend them by any means possible.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Edit: My original comment was about save thing locked behind paywall. Turned out it wasn't a thing, so I'm editing this post

Last edited:

Sakura

I'm 50 hours in and have only come across 2 permanent portcrystal structures in the game, one of which is in a stupid/pointless place.

With the portable ones you don't even get access to 10 in a single playthrough and the only way to get more than the handful you can get in-game is by purchasing them via DLC/microtransactions.
You can literally only purchase 1 extra portable crystal via DLC. The fact that you are saying "purchasing them", suggests to me you don't understand this. You can get 6 in a single playthrough in game, what difference is 1 extra one going to make, especially when you are limited by the amount of Ferrystones, which aren't purchasable anyway?

I wonder how many of these players opted for paying to start over before it was apparently removed. The fact someone came up with this shit with locked saves and had audacity to ask players to pay for such basic feature is just whack
You could never pay to start over...

Dazraell

Where are y'all getting this from? Because this was never a thing.
I mean, clearly dev fucked up with communicating about the extent of these microtransactions and one save thing and that's rather on them and not on users who doesn't understand how this works. Hard to make an educated decision when you see conflicting informations about it everywhere

I mean, clearly dev fucked up with communicating about the extent of these microtransactions and one save thing and that's rather on them and not on users who doesn't understand how this works. Hard to make an educated decision when you see conflicting informations about it everywhere
People not doing their own research and spreading misinformation is not the developer's fault.
Paying to start over and apparently removing it was never a thing.

Zheph

I don't even use all the port crystals given in game so it's not about defending mtx. Its just not that important within the game imo. You can travel easily with oxcarts if you don't feel like walking that much but it's a huge part of the game leading to random encounters and discovery

Buggy Loop

There's as of now, 6 portcrystal outside of the permanent ones on first playthrough accounted for from Fextralife

How many places you need to warp to?

Sacred Arbor, Bakbattahl, Volcanic island, Dragonforge shop?
One you can carry for the Sprinx's challenges but after that you're done with the area and bring it somewhere else.

Is it really a problem?

Field

Hate to say it but I’ve kinda lost interest after going into Battahl
I don't even use all the port crystals given in game so it's not about defending mtx. It’s just not that important within the game imo. You can travel easily with oxcarts if you don't feel like walking that much but it's a huge part of the game leading to random encounters and discovery
The random encounters kinda lose their appeal when being so frequent.

Last edited:

Zheph

Hate to say it but I’ve kinda lost interest after going into Battahl

The random encounters kinda lose their appeal when being so frequent.
I am still enjoying it fairly late in the game and trying to level all vocations meanwhile but how is fast travel gonna improve that anyway?

Schmendrick

I kind of don`t get the appeal of that specific game but as long as Capcom keeps on releaseing great games here and there without going down the PC-Ideology route I´m rooting for them.

Comandr

I guess I agree except for effectively locking out new game and only have one saveslot.

I already had several bugged out quest that took me hours to figure out, issues that would be easy to solve if I could load a previous save.

Anyway, 2.5 mill is not that much.. I'm kinda surprised actually..
You do technically have two save slots. Your auto save and your inn save. I have abused this system. Inn save before a major endeavor and you can go back to that save freely any time you want.

There are at least four ways in to Battahl that I’m aware of. Three of which you can do the moment you start the game. There are three methods that I’m aware of to restore loss gauge so it’s not like the inn is your ONLY option. You can tell if pawns in your party have dragon plague by looking at their eyes, listening to their comments, and watching their idle animations. It’s super obvious.

Tbh it sounds to me like a lot of people’s problems are being sensationalized because they don’t understand the game very well.
There's as of now, 6 portcrystal outside of the permanent ones on first playthrough accounted for from Fextralife

How many places you need to warp to?

Sacred Arbor, Bakbattahl, Volcanic island, Dragonforge shop?
One you can carry for the Sprinx's challenges but after that you're done with the area and bring it somewhere else.

Is it really a problem?
The sphinx will even duplicate one for you. And when you NG+ you carry over all of your port crystals and can collect more.

I LOVE that Capcom had the balls to make a pretty hardcore game that doesn’t baby the player. Encounters can be tough. You will get shredded. You can permanently fuck up quests by killing key npcs. Hell, they can die on their own and break quests. I didn’t actually beat the sphinx until my third playthrough because I didn’t understand the encounter previously. Is the game at fault for being obtuse? Yes. Is it my fault for not being cautious and making a bespoke save at the inn? Yes.

Dragon’s Dogma is a fantastic, challenging, engrossing game that dares players to fuck around and find out, and often rewards them for doing so.

ByWatterson

In the markets where we have specifics (UK and Japan), Rebirth either beat it handily or, in the case of the UK, was just behind.

If DD2 is at 2.5 million, and we also know Rebirth was huge in US downloads for February after just a few days, we can assume 3-4 million so far.

Which is fine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In the markets where we have specifics (UK and Japan), Rebirth either beat it handily or, in the case of the UK, was just behind.

If DD2 is at 2.5 million, and we also know Rebirth was huge in US downloads for February after just a few days, we can assume 3-4 million so far.

Which is fine.

You're comparing two games with different budgets and expectations.

But most importantly, they're not related so worrying about a different games sale here is just odd 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom