• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
once you end up in a trending gif you gotta go to the next level.

Honestly this sucks.

Gorillaz

It's gotta be hard to have to find someone to replace Drew.

"Come live in America's most expensive city and work a job with no growth potential."

The person they hire will either be young and use this position as a stepping stone to something bigger, or someone with true passion for this job and is willing to make the life sacrifices to have it work.

They always talk about how expensive it is to live in the area anyway. Like almost once every 3 weeks. Think Jeff even said he wouldn't want to live closer and enjoys the HOUR commute compared to living there.

Tainted

It's gonna be sad to see Drew go, but I got the feeling this was coming sooner or later. Drew never seemed super into games, and he has a lot of ambition. I'm not worried though, Jeff is the lifeblood of GB and as long as he's around I have faith.

I think the fact that he wasn't super into games was one of the more likeable aspects of Drew...as he had alot of cool stories to tell outside of the gaming realm with most recently going for his pilot's licence and other outdoor adventures.

He was super into simulators though...and that's where his tastes aligned with mine, so will be sorry to see him go due to that.

I think Jeff would love to hire someone around his age bracket who is into some of the old retro stuff like he is...as you could tell he really got a kick out of talking about all that stuff in recent bombcasts. Personally, I'd love that as well...as Jeff is around my age and I can relate to all those conversations he has around that stuff (but he is way, way more knowledgeable about it than I am)

Koopatrol

I only started watching Giant Bomb fairly recently, but this really bums me out :(

Good luck with your next endeavor, Drew!

Aselith

It's gonna be sad to see Drew go, but I got the feeling this was coming sooner or later. Drew never seemed super into games, and he has a lot of ambition. I'm not worried though, Jeff is the lifeblood of GB and as long as he's around I have faith.

I mean maybe not games you like but he plays tons of games

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member

He's not going anywhere. This is his legacy at this point, he's not going to let it go. They'll hire new people and hopefully they can recapture some of what will be lost by Drew. Jeff knows what personalities work, he just needs to get them in there asap.

I'd like to know who you do consider a "serious review site for opinions about games"?

Honestly.

EDIT: Actually don't answer that.. I just realized i'm asking for who you think is a "serious" "opinion" website. wtf??

Honestly? None of them. The point wasn't 'seriousness' in terms of whose opinion is better. I was joking about Mordor even if I do think that game is personally not very good at all, they can like whatever they want.

The point was that I've rolled my eyes at the crew more than once as they came woefully unprepared to show off a game and whiff it. They didn't even bother to look up the price on multiple occasions (which Drew saved the day later on in those looks (bless his heart)) along with missing features completely, lying about features (not maliciously but out of just not knowing and pretending to), ect. They aren't the best at showing off a game sometimes and can give out misinformation in quicklooks, both for and against games.

Basically what I mean is they don't take that part very serious sometimes. They just play to have fun and spitball some thoughts.\

Oh boy...

I think they meant "good" as in "good, I'm glad he is pursuing what he wants" instead of "good bye felicia"

They will have their work cut out for them at E3. They used drews truck for a lot of equipment that didn't fit in the moving van.

Apart from drew handling most of everything else production wise

hitgirl

Wow, that really sucks. I hope he still stays a public figure. I've been watching GB stuff since day one and Drew just seems like such an awesome person... damn!

Aces&Eights

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that once he gets all his certs he does Cessna tours for the public or something. They can be very lucrative and he really seems to be into his flying.

H2Yo

Oh christ come the fuck on. You don't have to drag someone else through the mud to praise someone.

Rorie is great and equally a fixture of GB. These are still good people and it isn't unlikely they read these threads. Show some decorum.

Haha settle down, it was constructive criticism. He needs to rein it in is all. No need to get your knickers in a twist because of what someone you don't know says.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Exactly how I feel.

Krixeus

2919689-4831166425-29196.gif

As long as he pops in from time to time on the Bombcast and we still get our Drewlexis Extra Life stream, I'm good.

Godspeed, Drew.

joms5

Honestly? None of them. The point wasn't 'seriousness' in terms of whose opinion is better. I was joking about Mordor even if I do think that game is personally not very good at all, they can like whatever they want.

The point was that I've rolled my eyes at the crew more than once as they came woefully unprepared to show off a game and whiff it. They didn't even bother to look up the price on multiple occasions (which Drew saved the day later on in those looks (bless his heart)) along with missing features completely, lying about features (not maliciously but out of just not knowing and pretending to), ect. They aren't the best at showing off a game sometimes and can give out misinformation in quicklooks, both for and against games.

Basically what I mean is they don't take that part very serious sometimes. They just play to have fun and spitball some thoughts.\

I will keep this brief so as not to sound like a Giant Bomb defender here, but if you don't consider any website a "serious review site for opinions about games" then clearly Giant Bomb can't be all that bad.

Of course they're going to make mistakes sometimes. When you put out as much content as they do there are going to be times when someone misspeaks. I've followed a number of game journalists over the years, and there are times when people make mistakes. Now I don't remember a time that Giant Bomb has misled customers. Any time they've been a bit unsure of something then tend to cop to it, and not try and put up some facade as if they know what they're talking about.

And you're right, they don't take things seriously. If you've listened to the days of when games were taken seriously by a number of old Gamespot reviewers (Jeff included) you'd realize how much of a shitshow it was. I enjoy the more laid back atmosphere of Quick Looks and live shows. You know what you're getting is real and not scripted or manufactured. They're just normal guys with opinions like us that we can choose to agree with or disagree with.

If that's not up your ally then I can totally see why you wouldn't be a fan. But if there aren't any places you prefer to Giant Bomb, then they must not be doing that bad.

:p

zeshakag

I really hope he does a travel thing of some sorts. I loved his North Korea feature.

Edit: Went back to watch it and Ryan was in it. God I miss Ryan.

SlickVic

Sad to hear it. Drew was easy to take for granted on the GB crew. He's been there so long I just kind of assumed he'd be there forever. Wish him the best of luck on his next endeavor.

Top Bottom