• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

jediyoshi

Surprised Jeff doesn't even know what he'll be up to, makes me think there's a bigger personal element than just a career switch up.

mike6467

I'm worried that Vinny is gonna be the next one swept away by life :(

It seems like Jeff, Brad and Alex are likely to be staples for a long time. I feel like you're right about Vinnie. Dan has his hands in so many things it doesn't seem at all impossible that he'll move on to something else either. They definitely need to start developing some new talent to pass the torch on to.

Surprised Jeff doesn't even know what he'll be up to, makes me think there's a bigger personal element than just a career switch up.

I could totally see him not having anything nailed down and just taking a year to travel or something. Then coming back and seeing what's available. It seems unlikely he'll have a hard time finding a good position whenever he decides he wants it.

bender

What time is it?
I think they've had amazing luck keeping the founding core of the site together. After eight years we've lost Ryan (RIP) and Drew. It's usually the newer members of the staff that have moved on.

Also when Jeff said he didn't know what Drew was up to, I thought he was being coy.

It seems like Jeff, Brad and Alex are likely to be staples for a long time. I feel like you're right about Vinnie. Dan has his hands in so many things it doesn't seem at all impossible that he'll move on to something else either. They definitely need to start developing some new talent to pass the torch on to.

Pretty much. I just get the feeling that Vinny wants to move on to something beyond video games. I hope I'm wrong, and I don't like to speculate into the personal lives of these fellas, but ever since East started doing these weekly nes games, I get the impression that Vinny, as professional as he is, is getting tired of the formula. Then again, I'm probably way off base :p

Pretty much. I just get the feeling that Vinny wants to move on to something beyond video games. I hope I'm wrong, and I don't like to speculate into the personal lives of these fellas, but ever since East started doing these weekly nes games, I get the impression that Vinny, as professional as he is, is getting tired of the formula. Then again, I'm probably way off base :p

I don't think that's the case, but if he's offered a better paid job he's going to take it because...

kT9GI1K.jpg

mike6467

I noticed it a few times too, it just felt like his attitude and tone has changed. I hope I'm misinterpreting it though. The most notable time was when he was talking about how he got into the gaming arena. He said he took a 50% pay cut to move across the country. Dan asked him why and he said "Because I was an idiot and thought video games were cool."

I hope he sticks around, but if he's burnt out, he's burnt out. He's clearly a really talented guy and I hope he ends up doing whatever makes him happy.

it seemed like he way being coy. at the very least brad mentioned on the bombcast that he had seen some of the stuff drew was working on

oneils

Why do some folks think he's going to twitch? As an employee or streamer? Did someone else from giantbomb leave for twitch?

Sulik2

I suspect Drew is going to do soemthing with traveling. That seems like his real passions. Perhaps a patron to support travelogues like Iceland and north Korea.

pirata

Surprised Drew hasn't talked about what he's doing next. My best guess is he's going to make a crowd-funded travel show (which would be fantastic).

Don't think Ive ever heard of them.

Alexis (I believe) did engineering for the site, but sometimes appeared on video. Mary Kish was with Gamespot, but did a lot of stuff with the duders. For a hot second, when she announced she was leaving Gamespot, I thought she might transfer over to Giant Bomb, but she ended up going to Twitch instead.

tmarg

Is Mary doing anything in front of the camera over at Twitch? I haven't seen her, but then again I don't watch much of the official channel.

Damn, unprofessional fridays really hit me ;_;

I swear there were multiple times when they all were on the verge of tears seeing Ryan in those videos.

And that best of giant bomb at the end, jesus... Brad looked super sad
Its like the last episode of Beyond! with Colin and Greg

It's sad to see people leave but they have a pretty good track record with new people.

But then again the new people don't tend to stay too long. Dan is the longest.

Tainted

But then again the new people don't tend to stay too long. Dan is the longest.

Patrick was at GB Apr '11 - Dec '14 (although the last 18mths he spent in Chicago contributing videos and articles for the site) so he is the longest out of the 'new' people.

Also Jason started the same day as Dan July '14

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is that some kind of trailer for footage from his trip.

It's just Japan footage isn't it. Hopefully it's something other than "westerner talks about retro gaming stores and arcades in tokyo vlog #98743275"

Maybe he'll be testing the Switch's infamous kickstand on a plane mode....while flying the plane himself...

Fox318

I'm excited for drew.

Frankly I think CBSi probably hinders good content at this point.

To some extent I think Waypoint has also proved that as well.

cordy

Banned
Traveling + Gaming? I approve and it fits Drew.

I'm also glad that it seems we'll be getting something completely different from what we're used to for Drew. GB provides it's kind of content but then Waypoint provides a different kind of content. Drew's venture will provide another kind of content. With the differences it allows me personally to stay invested into each and although they're different, they come from the same initial family. I love it.

Top Bottom