• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver has seizure, good samaritain leaps into car to save him (video!)

From WaPo (video at the link)

Dramatic dash cam video shows a car creep through a red traffic signal at a busy intersection in northern Illinois, forcing other vehicles to slam on the brakes and let it pass.

It approached 39-year-old Randy Tompkins, who was driving a pickup truck late last week in Dixon, about 100 miles west of Chicago. Tompkins threw his truck in reverse to avoid a head-on collision, then jumped out of his truck and leapt through the passenger-side window of the moving car, police said.

The brake lights flashed red and the car jolted to a stop.

Tompkins told the Chicago Tribune he had realized the driver was having a seizure and he knew what he needed to do.

“He had his arms up by his chest,” he told the newspaper. “I didn’t know if the guy was gonna push the gas, jerk the wheel or whatever, so I waited as long as I could to back up,” Tompkins said. “Once he got about a half-car length away from me, I parked my truck at an angle and jumped out of my vehicle.”

He put two fingers into the driver’s mouth to keep him from swallowing his tongue, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Laiza

Well, shit. Good on him. Wish I could depend on others to help me out in this way if such a thing ever happened to me.

(I had seizures as a kid, and the first time I swallowed my tongue in exactly the way this guy was worried about. I was passed out for five+ minutes. Seizures are no joke, people!)

Top Bottom