• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drug Inc. spent $106M convincing Congress to restrain DEA, law passed unanimously

Reason #582738 why Republicans are disgusting, worthless, non-human trash.

I think this is one instance where both sides is ok. Democrats are without a doubt better than republicans but both are beholden to corporate money and need to be called out for that shit. They are just as complicit in turning America into a kleptocracy.

Actually Trump is attempting to make it so that drug industry can peddle more opioids and other highly profitable goodies easier...

kHiny7L.png

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/919577366741086208

The true cartels

Kin5290

This seems like it was the DEA’s fault for not raising their concerns about the law.

It also doesn’t help that Congresspeople depend on lobbyists to provide expert knowledge about the effects of any bill. If only one side lobbies Congress then the information individual Congressional staffs receive is very one sided.

This seems like it was the DEA’s fault for not raising their concerns about the law.

Imagine expecting the DEA to act competently. But hey, let's give law-bending powers to an agency infamous for abusing every power they're granted! What could go wrong?

Shame on Congress for demanding the DEA to go through the shenanigans of due process!

slit

Nobody is excusing the administration. But the officers of the DEA betrayed the American public and the administration, by currying favor of the industry for future employment. That group should have supported those trying to sound the alarm bells. Blame is everywhere, but let’s be fair about it.

Actually quite a few are.

No it's not. If they have a legitimate concern they can investigate shipments and use due process of law to seize drugs and charge anyone with crimes. But they don't want to go through the rule of law. Why should the DEA have that power? A blatantly corrupt agency that skirts the law? No thanks.

The DEA should have that power because all of these corrupt drug companies, pharmacists and doctors keep flooding the market with illegal sales. Moreover, hundreds of thousands of people are being killed. Plus, the government is forced to expel money on services for all the surviving victims on a continual basis. Shut down these criminal enterprises and reject their lobbying to get the DEA off their back. The fact this trash passed while the opioid epidemic is being covered heavily is absurd. And it shows how both sides have completely phoned it in at their constituents' expense.

The DEA should have that power because all of these corrupt drug companies, pharmacists and doctors keep flooding the market with illegal sales. Moreover, hundreds of thousands of people are being killed. Plus, the government is forced to expel money on services for all the surviving victims on a continual basis. Shut down these criminal enterprises and reject their lobbying to get the DEA off their back. The fact this trash passed while the opioid epidemic is being covered heavily is absurd. And it shows how both sides have completely phoned it in at their constituents' expense.

So you are not for due process of law because of emotions? So as long as we can claim a certain activity causes many deaths, we should allow law enforcement, especially corrupt law enforcement such as the DEA to skirt the law. What a great precedent. In the DEA we trust.

Less people die from opioid overdose than alcohol related deaths. But hey, nobody says anything about alcohol corporations making millions from the diseases they perpetuate. I guess when you appeal to emotion it's easy to convince people that the government needs more power.

Plutocracy.
The chief advocate of the law that hobbled the DEA was Rep. Tom Marino,
a Pennsylvania Republican who is now President Trump's nominee to become the nation's next drug czar. Marino spent years trying to move the law through Congress. It passed after Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) negotiated a final version with the DEA.
With a dash of kakistocracy for added spice.

Media

The opiates crisis is truly sad, but as a legitimate chronic pain patient it sucks because I my gp nor my rheumatology doctor can give me pain relief, I have to go to yet another doctor that those costs add up. It's annoying as hell.

The opiates crisis is truly sad, but as a legitimate chronic pain patient it sucks because I my gp nor my rheumatology doctor can give me pain relief, I have to go to yet another doctor that those costs add up. It's annoying as hell.

I'm sorry to hear that. You highlight another reason to support this bill, because if you give the DEA unbridled discretion to seize shipments at will, there is no doubt there will be legitimate pain patients that will go without taking their pain medications.

Personally I feel it's unbelievable that the left, who should support personal liberty and the Constitution (which enumerates the limitations that the government cannot deprive one of property without due process) could support the DEA in such a matter.

aeolist

Banned
I'm sorry to hear that. You highlight another reason to support this bill, because if you give the DEA unbridled discretion to seize shipments at will, there is no doubt there will be legitimate pain patients that will go without taking their pain medications.

Personally I feel it's unbelievable that the left, who should support personal liberty and the Constitution (which enumerates the limitations that the government cannot deprive one of property without due process) could support the DEA in such a matter.

left libertarians recognize that exploitation and oppression comes from private companies as much as (or more than) it does from government entitites

the issues that i have with law enforcement is largely with abuse of individuals, not corporations, and especially not drug corporations

Question.

When companies make these donations to corrupt senators what’s the legalese behind that? Donations to their re-election or just a bung for personal use?

I don’t understand how these shitbags can accept money that cause opoid epidemics like this.
You call it donations but let's skip the double speak and call it what it really is - bribery and corruption. Companies buy legislation... but people don't want to call it what it really is.

Anyways, reading this just makes me feel so angry and disappointed. So many lives lost or ruined due to this opiod crisis that's completely avoidable.

DGp1RD5XkAEpngc.jpg

So appeal to emotion, again? You have no real argument for why an abusive agency should be above the law? Talk about straw man.

left libertarians recognize that exploitation and oppression comes from private companies as much as (or more than) it does from government entitites

the issues that i have with law enforcement is largely with abuse of individuals, not corporations, and especially not drug corporations

And yet the very agency that you wish to empower does abuse individuals. So why would you support their quest for law skirting power? You think that bending the laws so they can seize medications sent to potentially legitimate patients is a good thing? You don't think there should be due process before the DEA blocks essential medications?

Top Bottom