• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Mindlog

My sticks are still in good shape, but I think my R2 trigger is starting to give out or Destiny has a glitch with my super slow HMG
Yup. L1 too. Shipping my controller back.

Really can't believe how shoddy the build on this thing is.
Applying for the warranty service is illogically handled. The website has a gaping hole for accessories that's filled with chat that's copy/pasting standard responses. Paying for shipping is the cherry on top.

0/10

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Just want to report that I purchased the white PS4 bundle and after 50+ hours of Destiny, along with some significant Madden, Resogun, Black Flag, etc, the sticks look totally fine.

Maybe they fixed it? *knocks on wood*

Gonna have to send my DS4 in this week because for good third of the time the left analog stick will register pushing to the right as pushing down/pushing down right.

I was able to hold right in Strider and have Hiryu just stay there crouched for ten-fifteen seconds at a time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have we had any reports from people using the new white DS4? I've been tempted to pick one up but I want some evidence Sony has corrected this issue.

White one has a harder feeling rubber compound so should be fixed. Haven't had it long enough to know for sure though.

My replacement ones frm game had the same feel too. They were black DS4s taken straight out of the accessory boxes so they should be fine.

Actually had an issue with my controller recently. The left stick became unresponsive and I couldn't sprint(for long)in any game. At first I thought the issue was with destiny, since its been the only game I played for weeks, but when I tried playing another game finally, the problem persisted. I dunno what the warranty policy is on the controller, but I just went and bought another one in the mean time. Build quality on the new one doesn't feel much different though.

moai

Actually had an issue with my controller recently. The left stick became unresponsive and I couldn't sprint(for long)in any game. At first I thought the issue was with destiny, since its been the only game I played for weeks, but when I tried playing another game finally, the problem persisted. I dunno what the warranty policy is on the controller, but I just went and bought another one in the mean time. Build quality on the new one doesn't feel much different though.

This is a known issue and can not be fixed. But you can send it for a replacement.
I bought the white ds4 to replace the launch one that suffered from what you described. I took apart and put some x1 sticks to avoid any tearing.

I bought the white one, too, but have yet to open it. Trying to keep it perfect until I need it.

I'm on my first replacement DS4, because the left bumper on my launch controller kept sticking while playing Spider-Man.

I've never had issues with thumbstick wear, though. Then again, I maybe don't play enough. I'm also really careful with my controllers, but I know a lot of you are as well.

This is a known issue and can not be fixed. But you can send it for a replacement.
I bought the white ds4 to replace the launch one that suffered from what you described. I took apart and put some x1 sticks to avoid any tearing.
thanks for letting me know, I'm gonna contact Sony about it when I get the chance and try to get it replaced.

My sticks are fine but the triggers are ass. On my 2nd controller, this one being a white one, and I noticed this morning that the right trigger is off one of it's hinges. My first controller did the same thing but luckily my 2nd controller is still working. I need to quickly send my first controller back before the 2nd one breaks down.

Destiny is a murder of controllers. I think I'll be avoiding shooters on the PS4 in the future.

Proc

My launch controller's left stick has torn. Feels annoying while I play. What have people been doing in this situation to fix it? Have you just bought a new controller?

LAM09

My launch controller's left stick has torn. Feels annoying while I play. What have people been doing in this situation to fix it? Have you just bought a new controller?

Send it to Sony to be replaced, or get a replacement from where you bought it. Some people have just bought XB1 analogy sticks to replace them.

Daggoth

White controller, Destiny bundle.

After playing V2X and mashing the hell out of the right stick, there were a lot of rubber flakes on that side of the controller around the face buttons. But I can't see any visible damage to the sticks themselves. Surface rubber something? I dunno.

Left stick felt quite tacky after a few hours of Diablo 3 on the second night. Again, no damage.

No other issues - triggers feel fine etc.

Hawk SE

I have two launch DualShock 4 controllers (one in box, other pre-launch), and both are starting to flake and wear down.

It looks like I'm gonna have to invest in some covering or maybe KontrolFreek's to protect them from further decay.

jeffc919

I looked back through the last few pages and I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a way to buy a new DS4 online and know that you're getting the latest revision? Or possibly buying locally? The rubber on my left stick is starting to wear off.

Zomba13

I've been mostly fine with my DS4 apart from an increasingly loose R2 but last night when playing Destiny I noticed that my left stick was starting to tear on the bottom left side of the ring. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Business

I thought I was free from this but this weekend I started to notice some decay on my left analog stick. I do have some caps for the sticks but I'm not sure of the feel of them.

Does anyone know anywhere you can buy original or original-like sticks for replacement?

endtropy

Neo Member
Just thought I would post my experience really quick. I just got back my second controller from warranty service.

Controller 1 - This one suffered from the "push to the right and controller thanks you are pushing down and to the right". In a game like Strider this resulted in crouching, in awesomnauts this meant anytime I ran right and jumped up it was registered as jumping down/through a platform.

Controlelr 2 - This one suffered from a dead zone. If the left stick was pressed straight up, nothing registered. If it was pressed slightly up or all the way up with any angle to the left or right it worked fine but straight up was seen as no input.

Both are launch day (or near launch day) controllers (one with system and one sold apart). I will say Sony replaced both controllers under warranty with next to no questions asked. Service was quick, they didn't even require a receipt or proof of purchase. Yes I was out about $14 in shipping between them but it's all relative. I did not have a launch day PS3 but I did have a launch 360. The controller that came with lasted a little longer (maybe 18 months?) but I guess I go back to it's all relative. Sony has been easy to work with on resolving these issues and I guess on some level I kind of see it as I got to work these two controllers over for nearly a year and then get what are basically new (refurbished likely) controllers for $7 bucks. it's not ideal but I wouldn't call it a travesty either.

The rubber off of both of my launch DS4 sticks have started to come off since playing destiny. Sony wants me to send them both in.

I'm thinking of just getting some replacement sticks from amazon, cheaper then shipping the controller and I don't need top go without.

Krisprolls

Banned
Replacement sticks work perfectly and it takes 5 minutes to change them. You won't have trouble ever after that.

You can find original sticks on Amazon. The plastic is obviously slightly different than the faulty batch. Somewhat harder.

Replacement sticks work perfectly and it takes 5 minutes to change them. You won't have trouble ever after that.

You can find original sticks on Amazon. The plastic is obviously slightly different than the faulty batch. Somewhat harder.

Agreed. Just bought a used controller with a defunct stick for $25 and replaced the sticks on them. Brilliant hack that I highly recommend everyone with this issue doing.

Duxxy3

White controller, Destiny bundle.

After playing V2X and mashing the hell out of the right stick, there were a lot of rubber flakes on that side of the controller around the face buttons. But I can't see any visible damage to the sticks themselves. Surface rubber something? I dunno.

Left stick felt quite tacky after a few hours of Diablo 3 on the second night. Again, no damage.

No other issues - triggers feel fine etc.

This isn't encouraging.

TsuWave

just finished putting xb1 thumbsticks on both my controllers, well not just, did them yesterday, got them early december last year so they weren't the "revised" models and the rubber was dead, took me about a day to get used to it because the xb1's are "taller"

Well, I've been through three DS4's now. Two from launch, and one replacement from Sony. I bought a white one from GameStop and I'm hoping for the best.
It if happens again I'm going to start buying third party titles for the XB1 instead. I've never had a problem like this before. I love my PS4, but this is not okay. My DS3's lasted all generation. The only other console I've had a controller break for was the GameCube. And that lasted until after the next round of consoles was here. It only broke after a lot of Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii, and that was after surviving 100+ hours of Melee on the GCN.

Biggest problem I have is that the controller is becoming increasingly creaky. By that I mean exerting any pressure inward when holding the handles causes the controller to make a creaking noise.

I'm also getting a bit of squeak from the triggers as well, which is annoying.

TsuWave

Well, I've been through three DS4's now. Two from launch, and one replacement from Sony. I bought a white one from GameStop and I'm hoping for the best.
It if happens again I'm going to start buying third party titles for the XB1 instead. I've never had a problem like this before. I love my PS4, but this is not okay. My DS3's lasted all generation. The only other console I've had a controller break for was the GameCube. And that lasted until after the next round of consoles was here. It only broke after a lot of Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii, and that was after surviving 100+ hours of Melee on the GCN.

instead of going through so many controllers just put your xb1 thumbsticks in the ds4 its not hard, pretty straightforward, i was surprised at how simple/quick it was, all you really need is a #000 phillips screwdriver. but i could totally understand why someone would be reticent about even doing it

Fliesen

Biggest problem I have is that the controller is becoming increasingly creaky. By that I mean exerting any pressure inward when holding the handles causes the controller to make a creaking noise.

my triggers got squeaky after a week of owning the console.

a TINY spray of WD40 and they've been fine ever since.

Murdoch

I've had to return two controllers. Not because of rubber degradation but because the right thumbstick has "lost" its calibration. Factory reset on the pad proved unsuccessful on each occasion : (

I'm impressed with the controller itself but they really REALLY need to have a major revision in the materials and processes utilised.

C-Sword

I had to replace my white DS4, the R2 started sticking after playing NHL 15 a few times.

I'm thinking of buying the Hori FPS Pad and use it for certain games, but the lack of touch pad and the amount of unnecessary features are turning me off.

Dobsie

Are all you guys with bad ds4's on launch consoles? I'm going to buy my ps4 soon but am put off if there's still problems with the recent ds4's

Footos22

Are all you guys with bad ds4's on launch consoles? I'm going to buy my ps4 soon but am put off if there's still problems with the recent ds4's

This problem isnt as wide spread as forums make it seem. far from it. same goes with any problem on any device apart from the red ring of death.

Ive put in well over 400 hours on my launch pad and its no different then it was new. same goes with a few of my friends. no creaking, no flaking, no sticky triggers.

My xbox pad creaks with pressure and the right trigger squeaks, but same with the ps4 issues i doubt thats a major thing.

If your gonna buy one just do it. you have a years guarantee anyway. More than likely you wont get a problem at all. bad batches happen all the time in manufacturing no two batches are the same. if you hold off for such petty issues that have exploded online youd never end up buying any device.

just remember for every Complaint online, there is praise to counter it and then there is millions of ppl who are happy enough with their system they dont even feel the need to say anything.

klashawnd

Neo Member

I bought a launch PS4 and an extra controller during launch and the rubber is peeling on the left sticks of both controllers. They've been like that for a while too but I'm just too lazy to try and fix them. I'll replace them once they really start bothering me, I don't game that much at the present time to justify paying to replace them. Does anyone know how long the controllers are under warranty?

I recently bought the Grip-It's from Amazon for my PS4 controller and I wish I did so sooner.

The amount of grip and comfort is staggering to say the least.

KTS2448

Has anyone here tried the metal thumbsticks? The reviews are mostly positive. I'm thinking I might give these a try, but not sure how slick they will get during a lengthy gaming session.

I bought those in gold and I can quite honestly say, Its been a major factor in my improved performance in Destiny PVP. So much more control and precise movement. They just take alot of time to get used to and do tear up your thumb until you find the sweet spot with your thumb.

Gustav

Banned
My controllers are beyond busted now. The rubber came off completely on one of them.

What's the best course of action here? Caps? Replace them? Any advice? What's the best solution out there?

I really do not want to go through Sony costumer service, don't want to wait couple of weeks.

Kade

Just had to replace my second controller. :/

This situation was weird because unlike the last controller, only one of the sticks was wearing out and the other one was pristine. My 360 controller that I've used since 2008 on PC and 360 still has the 4 directional nubs on the sticks and that controller has been through hell.

emrober5

The left stick on my launch controller finally started to tear. I just got some thumbstick covers on ebay for a few bucks though.

Not a huge fan of them, but a cheap and easy fix.

the21O

Neo Member
My left stick is beginning to rip on my launch DS4. I will probably send it in tomorrow but then I how will I play destiny.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My controllers are beyond busted now. The rubber came off completely on one of them.

What's the best course of action here? Caps? Replace them? Any advice? What's the best solution out there?

I really do not want to go through Sony costumer service, don't want to wait couple of weeks.

Tried contacting the store you bought it from? GAME in the UK replaced mine on the spot, by the way they acted I think they had a setup with Sony to swap them out.

LOLCats

Banned

Pencil lead resolved my squeaky triggers.

LOLCats

Banned
My left stick is beginning to rip on my launch DS4. I will probably send it in tomorrow but then I how will I play destiny.

Why buy a second controller of course, muhahahaha, with no advanced exchange program, Sony is rolling in that controller monies.

Top Bottom