• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

TsuWave

Right, this is definitely down to how people play.

lol, it is not. countless complaints worldwide can't be chuck down to "the way people play". The problem is with the product, so much so sony seemingly took steps to remediate it with the newest versions of the controller.

NYR

Has anyone in this thread reported any problems with the white controller that comes with the Destiny bundle/white console or even the white controller at all?

I bought the bundle and the FCC NUMBER on the back of the bundled controller is the old number. I bought a second white DS4 today and it has a different FCC Number and more grainy sticks. Not sure if there is any link.

I'm a little worried I got an old controller with the bundle, but I figured all the white ones would be fine since they have been out since September?

Also, the DS4 one I bought has a PSTV icon and a Plastation Now ad on it on the back.

SystemUser

lol, it is not. countless complaints worldwide can't be chuck down to "the way people play". The problem is with the product, so much so sony seemingly took steps to remediate it with the newest versions of the controller.

I think the original rubber was too soft and thus easy to wear down and/or rip. That being said my rubber is intact other than being much smoother than it was when I got it on my two launch DS4s. The rubber will definitely be gone eventually on my launch DS4s, but there are people whose rubber ripped in the first few weeks. You can't say that the way people play is not somewhat a factor.

I am lucky that the rough controller users ripped their own rubber off so quickly and got Sony to switch to better rubber otherwise I would own four DS4s with soft rubber right now. In a year or two I would probably have had to fix or replace all of them.

Right, this is definitely down to how people play.

I've been playing with my controller since launch and have never had a problem, not even sign of the rubber wearing off.

Last weekend, I brought my controller over to a friend's for a get-together and we played some multiplayer games. Ended up switching controllers a few times and one of my friends had 5-10 minutes with the controller and I got it back with a slit/cut.
Cool anecdote.

People used their DS2 and DS3 for like, a decade, without incident but as soon as they got their hands on a DS4, they all just spontaneously adopted an all new rubber-shredding style of playing...

Or Sony switched to a new type of shitty rubber?

Fjordson

DS4 just feels kinda cheap to me, I dunno. Not the design, but the materials I guess. My triggers are already creaking loudly on the controller I got with a Destiny bundle that I've only been using since Christmas.

On Demand

Banned
Has anyone in this thread reported any problems with the white controller that comes with the Destiny bundle/white console or even the white controller at all?

I bought the bundle and the FCC NUMBER on the back of the bundled controller is the old number. I bought a second white DS4 today and it has a different FCC Number and more grainy sticks. Not sure if there is any link.

I'm a little worried I got an old controller with the bundle, but I figured all the white ones would be fine since they have been out since September?

Also, the DS4 one I bought has a PSTV icon and a Plastation Now ad on it on the back.

See my post above. I think those are the new models with better rubber.

I got two new DS4s over Christmas:
-A black one in the new box referencing PS TV
-A white on is a box that doesn't mention PS TV.

Both controllers were virtually identical in design and feel. The sticks in both are MUCH improved over the replacement I received from Sony in June (sticks were very slippery). That controller replaced my launch DS4 which had the original soft, super grippy sticks that peeled.

Yeah i think then the PSTV on the box is the official way to tell if they have the better material.

Fjordson

Missed this post, but that's been my experience.

I got the Destiny bundle on Christmas and the included controller is already having some weird issues with the triggers. I went and bought a blue controller last week and it's been fine and feels different from the white one (especially the slightly rougher texture on the sticks as you mentioned).

This piece of shit controller. Now my left stick is all out of sync. My cursor moves up on its own. Pressing left activates up left and down left. So is my controller done?

lucius

I wouldnt say the new rubber is better, it feels like it will last much longer which is good I guess, but the original DS4 sticks definitely feels softer with better grip imo. I got one of the new DS4 with the PSTV logo it is easy to feel the difference . I also decided to pick up some of those OEM replacement sticks just to see and they seem pretty much just like the ones included in the newer controllers, really I wish you could just get the launch DS4 sticks I would rather buy more of those even if I had to replace them every year or so since it's pretty easy but no one seems to be selling or making those anymore.

Not stick related, but just had my R2 button break while playing Driveclub. One of the little hinges has snapped, I don't press hard at all and after doing five minutes research it seems like a widespread problem. The ds4 is probably the most comfortable pad I have used, I just wish it wasn't so fucking lousy in the build quality department. No ps4 until I can sort this shit out with sony.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wouldnt say the new rubber is better, it feels like it will last much longer which is good I guess, but the original DS4 sticks definitely feels softer with better grip imo. I got one of the new DS4 with the PSTV logo it is easy to feel the difference . I also decided to pick up some of those OEM replacement sticks just to see and they seem pretty much just like the ones included in the newer controllers, really I wish you could just get the launch DS4 sticks I would rather buy more of those even if I had to replace them every year or so since it's pretty easy but no one seems to be selling or making those anymore.

yeah they are definitely more sturdy but i prefer the older sticks in terms of grip.

Miguel81

It's been 2 months with decent gaming time on my white DS4 and I haven't had any issues with the analog sticks or buttons like I had with the my previous ones. Hopefully, this will hold up for a long time to come. It was purchased a bit before Sony started adding PSTV, PSNow labels on the box but it does have the grainier stick material. Dark Souls is great for testing the shoulder buttons and these haven't had the sticking problem.

once again reporting in. I have two Dualshock 4s, one from a launch day PS4 and a white one. Zero issues with either one. No stuck triggers, no peeling on the analogue sticks, nothing wrong with them. zip. nada.

shandy706

once again reporting in. I have two Dualshock 4s, one from a launch day PS4 and a white one. Zero issues with either one. No stuck triggers, no peeling on the analogue sticks, nothing wrong with them. zip. nada.

Time to open the boxes and use them. :p

Good to see newer models seem to be changed.

vvise

been using the aluminum sticks for a few weeks now (destiny / driveclub). even had some friends over and they tried them. everyone loves them, the heavier feel is really something great.

10919552_803471606355284_713073724_n.jpg

This piece of shit controller. Now my left stick is all out of sync. My cursor moves up on its own. Pressing left activates up left and down left. So is my controller done?

i had the same issue, it's stick drift and not something you can fix without soldiering in a new analog box.

Not stick related, but just had my R2 button break while playing Driveclub. One of the little hinges has snapped, I don't press hard at all and after doing five minutes research it seems like a widespread problem. The ds4 is probably the most comfortable pad I have used, I just wish it wasn't so fucking lousy in the build quality department. No ps4 until I can sort this shit out with sony.

they sell replacement parts on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC1J73Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kingwingin

Had 2 controllers since launch and had issues with tearing on one immedietly and the other showed signs of being rubbed down.

Bought 2 more on black friday and haven't had any issues so far and I've got like 5 platinum since then so I've put them through heavy use + I always eat Cheetos while playing and get the sticks greasy

RedAssedApe

Banned
Had 2 controllers since launch and had issues with tearing on one immedietly and the other showed signs of being rubbed down.

Bought 2 more on black friday and haven't had any issues so far and I've got like 5 platinum since then so I've put them through heavy use + I always eat Cheetos while playing and get the sticks greasy

passes the cheeto test. safe to buy now guys :)

xbox-360-controller-cheetos-cheese-13507405068.jpg

Not a thumbstick peeling related, but I opened up a work order with Sony to fix my launch DS4's left stick (it won't register when you hit it up) about 3 months and got the email back, but laziness/busyness got in the way and I never got around to sending it....should I open up a new claim or just send it now?

Doombear

Not a thumbstick peeling related, but I opened up a work order with Sony to fix my launch DS4's left stick (it won't register when you hit it up) about 3 months and got the email back, but laziness/busyness got in the way and I never got around to sending it....should I open up a new claim or just send it now?

If it were me I would call them and ask. I wouldn't want to risk them getting it and not having your claim any longer. No idea if there is any kind of time limit once you open one but better safe than sorry right?

If it were me I would call them and ask. I wouldn't want to risk them getting it and not having your claim any longer. No idea if there is any kind of time limit once you open one but better safe than sorry right?

True. I guess I'll try hitting up a customer service rep in chat.

Yoday

I think claims expire after a few weeks or so. You'll probably have to open a new claim.

GHG

This has started happening to one of my launch controllers. It's just a slit in the rubber of the left analogue stick.

I take it this is how it starts?

This has started happening to one of my launch controllers. It's just a slit in the rubber of the left analogue stick.

From everything I've read about the issue over the last year, that's exactly how it starts. Sorry for your luck, and good luck replacing it easily.

GHG

From everything I've read about the issue over the last year, that's exactly how it starts. Sorry for your luck, and good luck replacing it easily.

Doubt I can do anything other than just buy a new controller considering where I live and what customer service is like here (for electronics) should you be unfortunate enough to have any sort of problem.

How long do I have before I need to replace it?

Doubt I can do anything other than just buy a new controller considering where I live and what customer service is like here (for electronics) should you be unfortunate enough to have any sort of problem.

Electronics generally come with a one year manufacturer's warranty.

Huddy

Why not go the far cheaper route and purchase some replacement thumbsticks off Ebay, it's very easy to replace them.

I've noticed there are still two different types of finish being used on new PS4 sku's here in the UK, one that looks just like the original with a harder less rubbery finish and feel, and another version that is very pitted and hard and offers slightly less grip. All very confusing.

le.phat

Been wondering this as well. I'm hoping for a new batch of DS4s with better sticks myself before I buy any extra ones.

After some research i learned that Sony swaps the worn/torn sticks for free in Europe. You can return the DS4 to the shop you bought from, and they should replace it on the spot. The store then gets compensated by Sony like its a proper sale.

I tried this at gamemania and the clerk reluctantly verified this story. He then continued to explain that the new line of DS4 have much thicker, rigid rubber caps and that i shouldn't worry for tear. Ive been using my new DS4 for only two months and i have to say that so far the is no wear.

GHG

Electronics generally come with a one year manufacturer's warranty.

Bought my console at launch (December 2014 in the UAE). Just over the 12 months so nay luck.

Why not go the far cheaper route and purchase some replacement thumbsticks off Ebay, it's very easy to replace them.

I've noticed there are still two different types of finish being used on new PS4 sku's here in the UK, one that looks just like the original with a harder less rubbery finish and feel, and another version that is very pitted and hard and offers slightly less grip. All very confusing.

I will look into this but doubt it will be worth the money to ship parts like that here and then go through the hassle of installing them.

Will just have buy a new controller when it fully craps out unfortunately.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

My replacement black DS4 and my new white one both have the harder feeling rubber. I hoped they would be more resilient, but my white one is now starting to peel on the left stick.

Being in the UK I'll just keep swapping them within 12 months - it'll cost Sony a fortune if they don't fix it properly. Just make them plastic, get rid of the rubber

Derpyduck

Banned

Yep. Not sure how it is where you live, but in the US there's a ton of options for PS4 analog stick covers. IMO they not only address the problems, but they also make the sticks much more comfortable. I put in over 100 hours in Destiny and my stick-tops are like brand new still thanks to a pair of 3 dollar covers.

Gusto

First the rubber started to peel so I replaced the sticks with X1 sticks now the right trigger is sticking on 2 controllers now. My white new destiny original controller and one that I changed the sticks.

These controllers are made shitty

My experience is this:

Two controllers, both bought in 2013. Both have damage on their left stick's rubber. The first one made it untill Destiny and other untill Driveclub this month. Both were being used almost every day from the day purchased.

Why am I mentioning the games by name? For some reason they made and make my hands sweat. If not getting sweaty hands from intense Destiny multiplayer moments and tough Driveclub races my both controllers might still be okay.

So anyone with the tendency of not sweating their hands while playing might not see the problem at all.

Sorry if all this has been discussed before. I have not been following the discussion, but my 2nd broken stick got me thinking.

Bought a new controller today, has some PS3 stick material on them instead of the rubber the launch ones had. Have to say this is a much better design and should be a lot better to last a good 5-6 years before I buy another. Anyone know if Sony are still replacing controllers with worn rubber? If so what's the process like?

ev0

Wasn't sure where to post this-

But my launch DS4 finally died (left analog barley moves up) and I had to get a new one.

The Square button and somewhat R1 is quite mushy when you press them. My old DS4 ad super crisp/clicky response for every button.

The new one works but it's really bugging me. Is it worth trying a return? The R1 isnt as bad but I know they can develop problems, but the Square feels pretty unresponsive even though it actually works.

I thought maybe I was crazy but I messed with some DS4s at work and they feel more like my original.

Thanks for any insight!

Wasn't sure where to post this-

But my launch DS4 finally died (left analog barley moves up) and I had to get a new one.

The Square button and somewhat R1 is quite mushy when you press them. My old DS4 ad super crisp/clicky response for every button.

The new one works but it's really bugging me. Is it worth trying a return? The R1 isnt as bad but I know they can develop problems, but the Square feels pretty unresponsive even though it actually works.

I thought maybe I was crazy but I messed with some DS4s at work and they feel more like my original.

Thanks for any insight!

Can't hurt to try. If it's bothering you I'd definitely do it. It's only gonna get worse.

My launch DS4's thumbsticks were still in one piece and no falling apart, but the rough-texture grip has long since been rubbed away resulting in a complete lack of grip that caused my thumbs to slip-n-slide all over the place whenever I held the sticks in any direction for longer than a second or two.

So I ordered the aluminum metal dark grey sticks and went to work.

Holy shit, replacing the sticks is a pain in the ass on the DS4. Popping out the back panel and unscrewing the extremely tight screws was pretty frustrating. Even more frustrating is the fact that the back panel is held together further by annoying clamps from the inside, so you have to REALLY pull the controller apart to get them off and there's a good chance you'll break off the tabs.

Most annoying are the triggers. The plastic of the back panel wraps around between the shoulder buttons and the triggers, so the triggers themselves have the back panel wrap around them entirely. If you yank out the back panel from behind the triggers will pop off and the REALLY small, REALLY flimsy spring that makes the triggers...well...springy, will fly off all over the place if you're not careful. This basically means I spent like 20 minutes trying to "unrwap" the triggers from the backpanel while simultaneously not pulling that hard so as to not pop the triggers off. I still managed to pop the left trigger despite my best efforts. A fifth super-tight screw holds the main controller PCB in place BUT WAIT! You can't quite pull it off yet because the touchpad tape cable and the LED light tape cables are in the way. You absolutely have to remove the touchpad tape cable to get to the analog sticks. You can choose to keep the light bar LED tape cable in place, but it means you can't fully separate the back panel from the front at any point in time. I opted to do that and it was annoying, but I wanted to remove the least number of cables possible.

I was cursing at Sony throughout the entire replacement. If they were going to half-ass the original thumbsticks so much, the least they could've done is make the sticks easy to replace. But instead they require that you disassemble the entire controller just to get to the sticks, and the really weird angle through which the back panel pops into the front one combined with the panel wrapping around the triggers made for some really annoying shit.

But the replacement sticks themselves are awesome. I love the heavier feeling to it, and I love the grippy nature. I'm also happy that they're aluminum metal, meaning there's no way the grip is going to "fade" the way the shitty plastic grip faded after just over a year of pretty light use.

I honestly don't know why Sony/MS/Nintendo have never tried metal thumbsticks. IMO they're clearly superior.

My controllers were fine, then I bought two white ones for my use so my kids could exclusively use the black ones. They were not allowed to use the PS4 until I bought the new controllers for myself. It took about 4 days before the sticks looked like the ones in this thread. My current white controllers sticks are fine.

SystemUser

What is the model number of the controllers with the new sticks? I'm out looking for a new one now.

No one ever answered you. I am pretty sure the model number hasn't changed. The slightly harder rubber started shipping a few months after the PS4 was out. The box was still the same too. Later the box was altered to show compatibility with PS TV in addition to PS4. I think the rubber got better after 5 or 6 months. The new rubber a little less gummy, but still not the good hard rubber like with the Xbox One controller. I like the stiffer springs in the DS4, but I like the harder rubber on Xbox One controller.

Metfanant

My launch DS4's thumbsticks were still in one piece and no falling apart, but the rough-texture grip has long since been rubbed away resulting in a complete lack of grip that caused my thumbs to slip-n-slide all over the place whenever I held the sticks in any direction for longer than a second or two.

So I ordered the aluminum metal dark grey sticks and went to work.

Holy shit, replacing the sticks is a pain in the ass on the DS4. Popping out the back panel and unscrewing the extremely tight screws was pretty frustrating. Even more frustrating is the fact that the back panel is held together further by annoying clamps from the inside, so you have to REALLY pull the controller apart to get them off and there's a good chance you'll break off the tabs.

Most annoying are the triggers. The plastic of the back panel wraps around between the shoulder buttons and the triggers, so the triggers themselves have the back panel wrap around them entirely. If you yank out the back panel from behind the triggers will pop off and the REALLY small, REALLY flimsy spring that makes the triggers...well...springy, will fly off all over the place if you're not careful. This basically means I spent like 20 minutes trying to "unrwap" the triggers from the backpanel while simultaneously not pulling that hard so as to not pop the triggers off. I still managed to pop the left trigger despite my best efforts. A fifth super-tight screw holds the main controller PCB in place BUT WAIT! You can't quite pull it off yet because the touchpad tape cable and the LED light tape cables are in the way. You absolutely have to remove the touchpad tape cable to get to the analog sticks. You can choose to keep the light bar LED tape cable in place, but it means you can't fully separate the back panel from the front at any point in time. I opted to do that and it was annoying, but I wanted to remove the least number of cables possible.

I was cursing at Sony throughout the entire replacement. If they were going to half-ass the original thumbsticks so much, the least they could've done is make the sticks easy to replace. But instead they require that you disassemble the entire controller just to get to the sticks, and the really weird angle through which the back panel pops into the front one combined with the panel wrapping around the triggers made for some really annoying shit.

But the replacement sticks themselves are awesome. I love the heavier feeling to it, and I love the grippy nature. I'm also happy that they're aluminum metal, meaning there's no way the grip is going to "fade" the way the shitty plastic grip faded after just over a year of pretty light use.

I honestly don't know why Sony/MS/Nintendo have never tried metal thumbsticks. IMO they're clearly superior.

Replacing the sticks was one of the absolute easiest processes I've ever gone through lol. Took a whole 10 minutes and that's only because I accidentally let the reset button roll off my table and couldn't find it

JackEtc

Both of my controllers now look like this:

Ordered the little grips to put on the controller, but still thinking about trying to get them replaced.

Both controllers I got at launch. Does that mean I'm screwed and can't get them replaced, or are they replacing all affected controllers regardless of purchase date?

Also if Sony says you can send them in, can you send multiple controllers in? I'd like to send both in at once if I could.

Maximus.

My left thumb stick is starting to tear a bit. I have a launch console. What a shame. I wonder if Sony will release a revised controller with longer battery or something.

Pachimari

After selling my 2 DS4 controllers, I bought a new white one a month ago and it still haven't peeled off, playing FIFA on a daily basis. Hopefully it stays this way and I haven't jinxed it.

Top Bottom