• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 Light Bars - turn them off, please

Huggers

Good for you. So you're arguing against an option that won't affect you?

By all means implement it. I'd just prefer they put their priorities elsewhere. Media streaming would be a good start. MP3 support... Whatever. The light on the controller seems like a minor detail

antitrop

I don't even have a PS4, but I bought a Dualshock 4 to use as my PC gaming controller and I love it. I'm glad there are some drivers out there that let me turn off the light bar completely.

I don't even have a PS4, but I bought a Dualshock 4 to use as my PC gaming controller and I love it. I'm glad there are some drivers out there that let me turn off the light bar completely.

That's good becuase the light bar could be especially problematic using it on a PC because you're generally sitting closer to a PC monitor than a TV.

RaikuHebi

Banned
ron-paul.gif

I want this .GIF on a picture of the DS4's LED.

Dead Man

Why would that be more likely? I'm actually curious. I was just offering my thoughts on why they're resisting, I want it gone as much as the next person, even though it doesn't bother me personally.

If they can dim them without breaking games, they can turn them off without breaking games.

By all means implement it. I'd just prefer they put their priorities elsewhere. Media streaming would be a good start. MP3 support... Whatever. The light on the controller seems like a minor detail

It really is too bad Sony is such a small company they can only do one thing at a time.

NoPiece

That's good becuase the light bar could be especially problematic using it on a PC because you're generally sitting closer to a PC monitor than a TV.

The closer you sit to your screen the wider the angle between your eyes screen and hands, so the less likely you are to see it. I.e., the further back you sit, the more you can see reflected on your TV.

cameltoe

Not one single time have I noticed it on the TV that I sit around 6-8' from...or my 24" monitor, which I sit 2-3' from....

Minamu

If they can dim them without breaking games, they can turn them off without breaking games.
Not necessarily. Granted, it's 2am and I'm tired but that assumes that lamp brightness 0 is the same as an off switch, which it doesn't have to be. Brightness 0 would still be able to handle the code's light usage calls. But if the lightbar function in the code is turned off, when a game expects it to be on, it might whine a bit :) But it all depends on how the game and hardware operates of course. And I'm just a beginner programmer.

sector4

I sit about 3 meters away from a 110" screen from a projector, and the lightbar lights up my room quite significantly during darker scenes. I have to play with the controller under a blanket sometimes. It's not game breaking, but it's annoying as hell. Options to dim or turn off completely would be entirely welcome, and would also go a long way to extending the average battery life of the DS4.

Evidence that people will complain about anything? I don't even notice it really and if I do I like how it looks. The only argument could be that it drains the battery faster but you just charge the things up in standby mode and voila, you're good to go

Ah, the old "it doesn't affect me, therefore it's not a problem for anyone" stance. An old internet favorite. If there's one thing the internet's good for, it's allowing people to be jerks about other people's views with no consequences.

Top Bottom