• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

There had to be downside didn't they?

Im not particularly bothered by this but there is no doubt this is fucking stupid design decision by Sony. No, putting black tape on your £50 controller is not a "solution".

This needs to be fixed.

We have our first "fix this shit Sony" feature of the gen. Is going to be spammed on the firmware threads like crazy. The light bar is the new clock.

UuCexBB.png

And that aint exactly a dark room
That's errr, not a reflection.

Dunlop

Why don't they just use unique IR signatures on their controllers like the Xbox One does?

I think it was meant to be with the camera that was initially going to be a packing (I believe anyways). They could have just done what was on the DS3. The novelty of that light is going to wear off pretty fast for me

pargonta

should definitely be an option.

i kinda scared now, if i have to see it reflected all the time i'll have to use some black tape or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope they change their minds on this before launch. I have to sit close to my set since I have a small room and the main reason I didn't use Move much was because of the obnoxious reflections.

iMax

I think it was meant to be with the camera that was initially going to be a packing (I believe anyways). They could have just done what was on the DS3. The novelty of that light is going to wear off pretty fast for me

Microsoft was always shipping Kinect with Xbox One, and they managed to use a non-obtrusive controller tracking system. Why can't Sony?

GameSeeker

This is a classic "GAF makes a mountain out of a molehill" issue.

1) LED lights are very power efficient and won't significantly affect battery life
2) This may turn out to be an issue that can be patched in firmware rev. 1.xx
3) Duct Tape!

Kyon

Banned
arent LEDs really power efficient?

why are ppl complaining about battery life? I thought this was like the little lights on DS3?

Frodo

Yes, It actually IS a reflection. You can see it in some other points of the video. After the demonstration of the little robots inside the controller, when the guy moves the DS4 close to his ear you can see the reflection just above the actual LED bar being shown on the TV.

It is probably his fault for having such a reflective TV.

Edit: Also, clearly visible on the 3:35 mark.

Pezking

That's why I sold my otherwise beloved Panasonic Plasma and bought the Sony LCD with the least glare years ago.

Glossy displays are the worst. It's a shame that they're pretty much the standard today.

Does anyone actually really care about this? Is this really a big deal? My first reaction to this news was, "So fucking what?"

turnbuckle

UuCexBB.png

And that aint exactly a dark room

This does not look like a reflection. The way the controller is angled doesn't match with the light on the screen and it's surprising that wide light on the controller is giving such a bright, narrow light back.

FUD?

iMax

That's why I sold my otherwise beloved Panasonic Plasma and bought the Sony LCD with the least glare years ago.

Glossy displays are the worst. It's a shame that they're pretty much the standard today.

Looks like the Sony W9 LCD panel in that Engadget video.

DBT85

And look, it isn't a reflection!

Thank you for this video.

It IS a reflection. at 6:03 you can see the controller on the screen with its light and above it is the reflection of the guy holding the controller.

At 5:45 you can still see the light not close to the controller and even when the game is rendering a shape on the screen. over the top of the controller and the guy.

It's a reflection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo

#teamreflection

#turnoffthelightsPS4

I doubt they fix this for launch but somewhere down the line there will be an option to turn off when they stop feeling the need to sell it as a cool feature.

Hanmik

People just find anything to complain about. That's the way it always has been. Blame it on human nature?

people just don´t get that some people have an issue with stuff like this. Don´t blame it on human nature, blame yourself for not understanding other people might have a problem with this..

G_Berry

Banned
Wow what a shame. The light is pretty big too.

Just goes to show that the camera was going to be bundled all along then removed last minute.

Surely they can patch this "feature" out some how?

DBT85

Wow what a shame. The light is pretty big too.

Just goes to show that the camera was going to be bundled all along then removed last minute.

Surely they can patch this "feature" out some how?

It's still the player identifier. No other way of knowing which controller you are holding if there are multiple turned on.

I guess I can't say for certain, but nothing in this video makes me think it's a reflection.

Watching the video makes me certain that it is a reflection. I don't care. With all the reflections I have it's nothing, but it IS a reflection.

turnbuckle

Yes, It actually IS a reflection. You can see it in some other points of the video. After the demonstration of the little robots inside the controller, when the guy moves the DS4 close to his ear you can see the reflection just above the actual LED bar being shown on the TV.

It is probably his fault for having such a reflective TV.

Edit: Also, clearly visible on the 3:35 mark.

That looks like it's just acting as a pointer. You'll notice it getting dimmer/brighter on the same surface during different parts of the video and it seems to be based on the context of the demonstration rather than the brightness of the controller's light.

I guess I can't say for certain, but nothing in this video makes me think it's a reflection.

Watching the video makes me certain that it is a reflection. I don't care. With all the reflections I have it's nothing, but it IS a reflection.

You might be right, and if you are I hope they fix this. The video doesn't make it obvious to me at all though. No more than a hand icon being a reflection of a Wiimote. The screen being an output from the camera would intentionally bring out the controller's light as a pointer/icon and I believe that's what we're seeing here. Would like to see a video like this where the Playstation camera isn't being utilized.

Top Bottom