• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever: May 3 in NA, May 6 elsewhere [Trailer Added]

snoopers

I am multitalented
eshwaaz said:
Aside from the "old game looked a hundred times better visually" comment, I agree. The 2001 trailer still feels like it's preparing you for something truly exciting and relevant; a bona fide gaming event. The new trailer is bland and forgettable by comparison. As you said, "profanity, boobs and a pee joke" do nothing to satisfy. Show me some meaty combat, show me some impressive environments, show me some hint of the creativity, diversity and interactivity that Duke 3D had - then maybe I'll be excited.

If Duke 3D had been only about boobs and profanity as the new trailer leads you to believe, it would never have been the hit that it was. To say that that's primarily what made Duke 3D successful and memorable is selling that game incredibly short.

Regarding the "it looked better in 2001" statement, I'm not talking technology. Just saying I find the old build's art direction more appealling. The texture work, the lights, the color palette. All the little details. It looked and moved like a gorgeous, ambitious high profile game for its time, and it had character. Duke 2011 just screams cheap & bad art to me.

tiff

Banned
I have no expectations of this game actually being good but for some reason I still find myself wanting to play it.
snoopers said:
Regarding the "it looked better in 2001" statement, I'm not talking technology. Just saying I find the old build's art direction more appealling. The texture work, the lights, the color palette. All the little details. It looked and moved like a gorgeous, ambitious high profile game for its time, and it had character. Duke 2011 just screams cheap & bad art to me.
I think it's because the old trailer kinda has a cheesy action movie trailer feel to it, whereas much of the new one is just trotting out all the elements people expect from Duke in between tiny gameplay snippets.

KareBear

Fallout-NL said:
A fitting description.

And yes, I long for a proper sequel to Blood. I think Warner Brothers owns the IP now?

Actually Atari own the ip now.

More than Blood 3 i want the Blood source code one of the programmers that worked on it has the source code but hes afraid to release it.

Xater

KareBear said:
Actually Atari own the ip now.

More than Blood 3 i want the Blood source code one of the programmers that worked on it has the source code but hes afraid to release it.

Atari? Ewww. Dead IP confirmed.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
charsace said:
Duke had great level designs and gameplay too.

Time for Lo Wang to make his return!
This. But this time without the offensive Asian stereotypes. I'm one of the few people on the planet who liked Shadow Warrior a little more than Blood.

jambo

SapientWolf said:
Bulletstorm looks more like a rich man's Painkiller, with the Doom comic guy doing the story and dialogue.
That's actually the best description I've heard for Bulletstorm
WNDY0.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Legendary Warrior said:
I think it's because the old trailer kinda has a cheesy action movie trailer feel to it, whereas much of the new one is just trotting out all the elements people expect from Duke in between tiny gameplay snippets.

It has a ton of shit in it too. Heaps of locations, gameplay ideas (bike, donkey, jet skii, pinball, etc), and huge set pieces.

As a trailer, it makes the game look a ton more appealling than what we've seen so far.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shaheed79 said:
This. But this time without the offensive Asian stereotypes. I'm one of the few people on the planet who liked Shadow Warrior a little more than Blood.
It's not the same without the offensive Asian stereotypes.

Xater said:
WOW. The No One Lives Forever games are classics.

And SHOGO M.A.D. And AvP2. And Tron 2.0.

Fear and Condemned were great too.

Monolith is one of the most underrated FPS dvelopers IMO.

twinturbo2 said:
It's not the same without the offensive Asian stereotypes.

This.

Sounds and looks good. Though my only real experience with Duke was playing one of his games on a LAN with my friends in high school (probably 3D) during class which made it extremely cool. Either way, Duke is the kind of guy that if I found out he banged my wife I'd have to fight off the urge to thank him, so can't wait for forever.

Daigoro

this is amazing.

i cant believe im actually going to be playing a NEW Duke game. its been a long time.

cover is awesome btw.

Aaron

Man, that's just a perfect cover for this game. Balls of steel for sure. Also loved the new trailer after feeling pretty ho-hum on all the other footage before it. Cool weapons, cool monsters to murder in fun ways, cheeky one-liners (unlike the verbal diarrhea of Bulletstorm)... give me split screen so I can shrink my friend and step on him, and it's day one for me.

Top Bottom