• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really, half a year already, eh? I finally managed to go back and properly beat the game a while ago (had been sitting at the Volcanic area for MONTHS)... I was rather impressed by the ending:) Felt similiar to beating something like Lunar: Silver Star Story, or such. As it kept on going, my brother and I just smiled, and nodded in appreciation and "hey, that was pretty cool!" agreement in the end.

Having started playing Sly Cooper 4 recently, I keep imagining him sporting a Dust Costume... XD

Hey all, to celebrate the 6 month Anniversary of Dust:AET I'm handing out some free codes (XBLA redeemable).

First come first serve!

VF3RP-QRVX9-VVD7M-9PGY9-KVKXZ
QCK7K-XQT3P-JCCHT-6HVG6-FGDCZ
JM2CM-P9RGV-R9DR7-RRPR7-QY7FZ
3CDPX-7C997-G7GCY-MXKPD-TH43Z
2FQQD-MF6TV-2746Y-RGH27-MPVGZ

Wow, I was sure that I had missed out, but tried the codes anyway, starting from the last one. Turns out that nearly 11 days later, the first code was unclaimed. Thanks!

Still looking forward to a possible PC version!

Noogy

Wow, I was sure that I had missed out, but tried the codes anyway, starting from the last one. Turns out that nearly 11 days later, the first code was unclaimed. Thanks!

Still looking forward to a possible PC version!

Glad to hear :) Yeah, for some reason this thread never gets updated back to the gaming first page, so you lucked out!

Glad to hear :) Yeah, for some reason this thread never gets updated back to the gaming first page, so you lucked out!
Don't all OTs for games get moved to the Community tab after two months or something? So it gets bumped up there but not on the main Gaming forum.

Don't all OTs for games get moved to the Community tab after two months or something? So it gets bumped up there but not on the main Gaming forum.

Yeah, this thread's in Community right now

On a side note, I need to go back and start playing this game again do I know what's going on during Noogy's panel at PAX East

Would just like to add that this game is awesome. Started playing it two days ago and Im so hooked! Really underrated, should also be taken as one of the best downloadable games of last year with Mark of the Ninja and The Walking Dead.

Noogy

Would just like to add that this game is awesome. Started playing it two days ago and Im so hooked! Really underrated, should also be taken as one of the best downloadable games of last year with Mark of the Ninja and The Walking Dead.

Thanks :) Spike VGAs actually nominated the game as one of the top 5 or so indies of the year, so it was cool to be recognized like that.

zulux21

it seems the dust pannel at pax will be streamed
For those wondering, I've also verified that the Dust:AET PAX Panel will be streamed online and archived. More details as they come in!

taken from Noogy's twitter. also from there
Just received some new recorded lines from my VO director @MacTheActor for use in our Dust:AET panel. Going to be a treat for the fans!

so it should be a fun time.

totowhoa

Banned
it's tomorrow (sat) at 1pm if I am not mistaken (that's what the twitter said to me :p)... not sure which timezone that is but I am thinking EST since that is where PAX is.

Ohhhh, is he discussing/announcing a new game? I haven't been following him or this thread really since I finished the game. Hoping this is what the panel is about anyway, even if it would be awfully soon :p Dust was my one of my favorite surprises last year since I hadn't followed the game until it launched.

zulux21

Ohhhh, is he discussing/announcing a new game? I haven't been following him or this thread really since I finished the game. Hoping this is what the panel is about anyway, even if it would be awfully soon :p Dust was my one of my favorite surprises last year since I hadn't followed the game until it launched.

There haven't been any signs he is ready to announce a new game. The panel is supposed to be about the development of Dust if I recall right, and it was mentioned that they will be streaming it.

Now there have been hints that Dust may be moving onto other platforms, which if that is true I imagine tomorrow (well later today >.>) during his panel would be a good time to announce it.

Silvawuff

There haven't been any signs he is ready to announce a new game. The panel is supposed to be about the development of Dust if I recall right, and it was mentioned that they will be streaming it.

Now there have been hints that Dust may be moving onto other platforms, which if that is true I imagine tomorrow (well later today >.>) during his panel would be a good time to announce it.

That would be amazing. The world needs more Dust!

Grief.exe

Some guy on the stream just said, 'first thing I want to say is Dust is one of the best Metroidvania games I've ever played.'

This is why I'm excited for this game coming to Steam.

ShapeGSX

Dean, my 10 year old son and I were in the audience at the PAX East panel, and we were delighted and entertained by the amazing "slide" presentation and your banter with Alex. Best slides ever!

This was my son's first PAX, and he was apprehensive about going to the panel (also his first), because he didn't know what it was about. But I think he really felt like he learned something, and as I said, he was genuinely entertained.

I will, however, admit to being slightly disappointed when I realized that the trailer was for Dust on PC. We both loved playing Dust so much that we were truly hoping that Dust 2 was being announced. :D

Also, you MUST finish that movie! I want to see it!

Noogy

Dean, my 10 year old son and I were in the audience at the PAX East panel, and we were delighted and entertained by the amazing "slide" presentation and your banter with Alex. Best slides ever!

This was my son's first PAX, and he was apprehensive about going to the panel (also his first), because he didn't know what it was about. But I think he really felt like he learned something, and as I said, he was genuinely entertained.

I will, however, admit to being slightly disappointed when I realized that the trailer was for Dust on PC. We both loved playing Dust so much that we were truly hoping that Dust 2 was being announced. :D

Also, you MUST finish that movie! I want to see it!

Awesome, so glad you were there! This was the first time I've ever done anything like this, so I figured I might as well make the panel fun. Amazingly it didn't crash (I was literally wrapping up the build at midnight right before flying out to Boston).

Porting the game to PC has actually been quite a complicated process. I mean, the game has always run on PC (obviously that's where it was created), but working in all the PC specific options and controls/UI has almost been like creating a new game.

I am excited to start talking about game #2, but it'll be a while, probably 2014, before I have anything worth showing. That and I need a much needed break :)

Finally, was fun showing off just a small clip of the film. One day I'll return to that, I guess if I ever get bored of game development.

That part where
Fidget's dialogue gets skipped through
was pretty funny.

We actually wrote some silly bits there, and Kimlinh (the VO actress) did a great job with the delivery. I imagine at some point I'll try to release that stuff online in its entirety.

Been playing the game and loving it. I seem to be having a problem getting the Boost jump ability. I know where it should be but the orb just isn't there. Since there's no other way out of that cave I'm stuck. Anything I'm forgetting here?

Even though it's more than I paid for any game this year and I won't have time to play this yet, I said "screw it" and just bought it. After all, I've been waiting for this game for a long time. I just checked my sent folder for an email I sent to somebody about being excited for this game... back in 2009. :D

This is, after all, a mix of two of my favorite styles of games, VanillaWare-like amazing 2D animation with Platinum Games-like action. :)

Thanks for making this, Noogy. It's really awesome to have you here on NeoGAF. :)

Hesemonni

Banned
Probably a stupid question: But wouldn't releasing Dust on PS3/PS4/Vita make perfect sense? Porting costs couldn't possibly be that high and seeing that Vita owners (like me) are all over good indie at the moment it's bound to be successful.

Probably a stupid question: But wouldn't releasing Dust on PS3/PS4/Vita make perfect sense? Porting costs couldn't possibly be that high and seeing that Vita owners (like me) are all over good indie at the moment it's bound to be successful.

I'm sure dean has his reasons, and partly microsoft.

Croyles

So I bought this game on Steam and it always crashes during the opening cinematic. The dialogue continues but the everything else just freezes after like a minute.

Is this a known issue? Any fixes?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I bought this game on Steam and it always crashes during the opening cinematic. The dialogue continues but the everything else just freezes after like a minute.

Is this a known issue? Any fixes?

I had a different problem with the cinematics: it would show the top half of the screen as black, and then the bottom half of the video.

Looked on the Steam forums and apparently a recent windows update broke video rendering on cutscenes on this game and some others.

You'll need to go and uninstall windows update number KB2803821. Should fix it.

In Windows 7, you'd go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->View Installed Updates and then use the search box to find the exact update

Croyles

I had a different problem with the cinematics: it would show the top half of the screen as black, and then the bottom half of the video.

Looked on the Steam forums and apparently a recent windows update broke video rendering on cutscenes on this game and some others.

You'll need to go and uninstall windows update number KB2803821. Should fix it.

In Windows 7, you'd go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->View Installed Updates and then use the search box to find the exact update

Thanks but I don't even have that update. Game seems to be having a lot of problems for many people. Shame because I really like the look of it.

Zeppelin

I was just told that I had been signed out from my Gamer Profile. On Steam.

Neat game otherwise. Platforming kinda sucks though. And Fidget makes me want to kill people.

sflufan

Banned
I just finished the PC version of this game a few minutes ago and I wanted to thank you Noogy for creating such a great version for my preferred platform.

The game itself was an absolute joy to play and it was easily one of the most endearing gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. For a "children's" title, the narrative has a depth and maturity that the vast majority of so-called "adult" titles can only dream of attaining!

Thank you, Noogy, and I am VERY much looking forward to your next endeavor!

LuffyZoro

I got this game in the Steam sale, and am really enjoying it so far. Played for 3 hours yesterday, putting just past Chapter 2. Fidget is my favorite.

Leks

Bought the game during the latest Steam sales, finished today with all the achievements (Tough difficulty), all chests... All everything in ~14h.

• The beginning was not entertaining and I didn't like the final setting (too much fights), but I definitely enjoyed the game overall.
  • The combat mechanic is simple, fun, responsive and the (mini-)bosses are strong enough to force the player to use all the moves. Fidget's powers are a nice addition.
  • The artistic direction is absolutly amazing, Mudpot and Cirromon Caverns are the most beautiful place of the game.
  • When I started the game, I didn't expect the story would go this far, it was surprisingly good. I liked the ending, it's unasual nowadays...
  • Platforming is average, Dust sometimes does what I don't want. It's fortunately a small part of the game.
  • I loved exploring the whole world to discover all of the hidden areas, especially the friends. I was impatient to find out who is behind the cage I just opened!
It's a solid 8/10 and certainly one of the best games of 2012/2013 for me. Congrats Noogy and all the others who work on Dust: An Elysian Tail, good luck with your next project, I will watch it carefully.

CorvoSol

Got this game just recently. While the character designs were a bit off-putting at first and I'm not keen on that fairy thing at all, the combat system in this game is loads of fun for me. Really enjoying it.

Zaru

Bumping this because I just played through the game and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gonna recommend it to others.

The game is now out DRM free for Linux and Mac from the Humble store and the Steam versions will be live on Thursday. It is also on sale for $3.75.

just got this game today
and its been the only one out of 8 games ive bought today that ive played. wow. i must say wow.a beautiful fluid piece of work this thing is.

i have to tell everyone

I have been playing this for months on and off and just loved it! I just beat it last night. I will definitely keep my eye on whatever the creator of this game makes next!

Top Bottom