• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2010 Schedule and News Summary -- JUNE 15-17

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is there no Square Enix or Capcom conference? Why aren't they in the OP???

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ScrubJay said:
Grown men dressed as babbies on G4 right now getting beat up and dissed by Olivia
Between this and Jaffe stopping their interview to ask for Morgan Webb, I think Olivia has had it with E3. She looks totally checked out.

isny

napkin dispenser
So is it bad that this is the most excited I've been by E3 since the days of the N64?

Maybe because Nintendo has finally shaped up and started listening? (The only game that isn't for a Nintendo console I was interested in from E3 was MVC3, Kingdom Hearts PSP, and Portal 2)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari, you win the avatar contest.

I'M READY FOR MY AVATAR

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I dunno if this is the place to ask or not but is anything going on with Namco Bandai? Naruto's been spotted and Ace Combat & DBZ was at Sonys show, how about .hack//Link? Has that been sighted anywhere ;_;?

AniHawk

So today began with waiting in line for THREE HOURS to see the 3DS. It was actually kinda worth it because I didn't see any of the stuff in the press conference because I didn't see the press conference. Pilotwings, Star Fox (supposedly), Kid Icarus, MGS3D, and Paper Mario were huge surprises, seeing OLD games in 3D was a big surprise, and the ability to turn it to 2D was GREAT. There was a trailer for Tangled there since the machine can also play movies, but I doubt I'd use the machine much for that.

Toward the end of the stay in the 3DS area, I checked out a weird little target game that was basically like the Eye of Judgment PS3 card game. Really neat little tech demo. Then I turned around and saw Matt Groening right there. He stuck his hand out and we shook hands. He reminded me about Futurama starting soon and we talked for about a minute. Afterward, I did what I never do and asked if I could take a picture of him, and he said his son Abe would take a picture of us. So that was really cool.

Then I played Zelda. Eh... hm. It's going to take some getting used to. I like the running, but the sword stuff should be a lot more lenient. Also, my arm was getting tired faster than it ever did playing Twilight Princess. The cel-shaded effect is pretty nice, but apparently they're still going to improve on it. I had problems using items since they all work in different ways. The whip was cool though. Unfortunately, I think the demo area was really JUST a demo area, so I didn't get an idea of the actual level design they might try. It was basically: go here, kill boss. Thanks for playing! Here's your shirt.

While waiting in line for Zelda, I saw James Rolfe. I did another thing I never do and yelled out "James!" He turned around and I just gave a wave. He smiled and saluted and headed off toward the Nintendo items area.

After that, I played Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's all right. I like Diddy's hover, but I'm not sure about the two hearts for each one. Waggling to roll felt wrong to me too. I did like how the game uses the background and foreground though. I think it was done in Jungle Beat, but I can't remember.

Then I played Sonic Colors, which the booth guy said wouldn't have any extra stuff outside Sonic levels. Sonic's powers aren't really all that bad either, although only one of the two I saw really seemed to do anything. I noticed there were a coupled different paths to collectible items, so some exploration and platforming is encouraged. The DS version is basically a different game with the same themes for the levels, because it's 2D.

While I'm on the topic of Sonic, the last game I played today was Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but only the first act. It's okay. I think they have the weight down, and there's some cel-shading stuff that makes it look less like polygons, which was nice. There was a pretty clear difference in the style between the two Sonic Colors games and Sonic 4. I'm not saying any one of the three will be good or great, but Sonic 4 felt more like the oldschool Sonics, while Sonic Colors felt like a continuation of the Sonic Adventure brand and Sonic Colors DS felt like it was continuing off of Advance/Rush, where both were more about speed.

I played Epic Mickey to find the sidescrolling platforming segment they had was extremely short. I was disappointed. The guy working there said there were 40 levels like it in the game though, so they probably get longer/more difficult. The 3D stuff was from an intermediate level in the game. I didn't see the erasing/creation function with the thinner/paint working really superbly. It was pretty straightforward and didn't allow for much experimentation. The level I played actually reminds me a little more of something out of Banjo-Kazooie.

Checked out Vanquish after a longer-than-intended wait. Game's really stylish, and I love zooming around on rockets, and I LOVE the slowmo shooting while zooming around on rockets. There was a huge fucking boss fight at the end of the demo, but it had lost a little luster for me after I'd watched so many others play it before I had a chance.

So... that's it. Zelda and 3DS ate up a LOT of time. 3.5-4 hours I should have to do way more stuff tomorrow on top of the two extra hours we're getting anyway. I definitely want to check out Metroid, Kirby, and Golden Sun, and see what's over at the Sony booth, because I totally missed their conference today too (although I heard there was a new Twisted Metal so that's definitely on the list too).

Oh, and I checked the UbiSoft booth... no Rayman. Darn.

Pictures/videos coming soon.

Disney Booth:
Tron!
Lightcycle!
Mickey!

3DS:
Line starts here!
Line starts here? Well that's not so- MOTHERFUCKER
Teal 3DS
Red 3DS
Purple 3DS
Burnt Orange 3DS
Case, game card, and charging station
Totally NOT a video of Metal Gear Solid 3D

Lindsay said:
I dunno if this is the place to ask or not but is anything going on with Namco Bandai? Naruto's been spotted and Ace Combat & DBZ was at Sonys show, how about .hack//Link? Has that been sighted anywhere ;_;?

I think Namco Bandai just has a booth (and they had live demo of Naruto Shippuden on the gamespot show). Unless NB is going to have a closed doors meeting later this week?

Doel

Who is doing nightly podcasts? So far all I can find is GiantBomb's nightly livecast on UStream.

This is when I really miss the 1up Yours days :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wait, so is it just Konami tomorrow?
Has THQ announced anything yet? I know there is the new Red Faction, but we were supposed to see Saints Row 3 at E3, dammit.
Where are you, Volition guy that posts on Neogaf sometimes...

Mojojo

Is anyone doing a E3 2010 PC gaming thread? would be nice to have, it's hard to keep up already with all the Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft stuff...

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
So I guess someone screwed up at the official konami e3 site and used a timer that shows local time instead of PDT (mine's at 0 now and the site keeps updating itself ad infinitum)?

The conference actually starts in about 8 and a half hours, amirite?

Sword Familiar said:
So I guess someone screwed up at the official konami e3 site and used a timer that shows local time instead of PDT (mine's at 0 now and the site keeps updating itself ad infinitum)?

The conference actually starts in about 8 and a half hours, amirite?

Yeah, should be.

I guess it isn't being streamed?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Am I just being impatient, or does it seem like written impressions from the show are kind of sparse this year?

I've been looking for impressions on various specific games from the showfloor and it's really hard to find them. Or is just still early days?

I don't like 'video impressions' so much because when they're filming with PR people watching over them it often seems they dodge giving their real impressions on something.

gofreak said:
Am I just being impatient, or does it seem like written impressions from the show are kind of sparse this year?

I've been looking for impressions on various specific games from the showfloor and it's really hard to find them. Or is just still early days?

I don't like 'video impressions' so much because when they're filming with PR people watching over them it often seems they dodge giving their real impressions on something.

What, my google reader feed has had like over 600 items appear in the feed (just overnight) (a majority written expressions and off cam footage) of games, from sites like CNET, to the major ones, to Tanooki, Joystiq, the dlc specific blogs, and more.

gofreak said:

Just in general there doesn't seem to be as much stuff written up as past years. If you look at some blogs you can literally plow through the past 2 (or 3) days of E3 in like barely 3 pages. And very little of it is impressions or opinion on the actual stuff, just the events themselves.

chandoog said:
It says 00:00:00 on the time remaining !

It should start at 1PM PDT (according to the thing on gamespot for it). I think someone said the time is a bit messed up or something (goes to 1PM local time, it looks like thats what its counting down to for me).

Hellion

sdornan said:

:lol I came on Gaf to post this:lol :lol

I couldn't finish the interview, I stopped at "Daewoo"... :mad:

Furret

Banned
I swear I read Namco Bandai had a press conference today, they were going to be the last ones after (or maybe it was before) Konami.

Do we know for sure this is not happening?

Magnus

Alright, alright....

Is there somewhere on GAF that has a list of all the games that have release dates/windows? I (and I'm sure many of you) need to start figuring out what the end of 2010 and early 2011 are starting to look like.

corn_fest

sdornan said:
Wow, absolutely terrible. Is this what G4's quality has come to? Being straight-up disrespectful to Jaffe. You're missing the "h" in http in your third link, btw.

corn_fest said:
Wow, absolutely terrible. Is this what G4's quality has come to? Being straight-up disrespectful to Jaffe. You're missing the "h" in http in your third link, btw.
Well the Feedback podcast with the G4tv.com foks is very good actually but as far as I can see from the TV side yeah that seems to be horrible......

corn_fest

The Dutch Slayer said:
Well the Feedback podcast with the G4tv.com foks is very good actually but as far as I can see from the TV side yeah that seems to be horrible......
Well, I meant the TV side in particular, yeah. It seems like the only gaming-related things they even offer anymore are X-Play and AOTS, otherwise it's constant COPS or Campus PD.
But yeah, they have some good talent on the web side with Patrick Klepek and Skip.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sdornan said:

All the G4 links ain't working for me...

Hasn't she done this kind of thing before? Or am I thinking of another presenter...

Top Bottom