• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2012: PlayStation partnering with "leading cloud gaming service"?

DSc

Did VG247 just blow a megaton announcement?

Sony’s first-party effort will revolve around at least two largely unknown core products and Vita. The two titles are likely to generate a great deal of excitement. Also expect Sony to attempt to play a strong “Vita isn’t dead” card.

Big core games on the small screen will be a focus for Sony this year, but, again, expect solidity rather than megatonnage. You may well be blown away by what’s on show, but it’s doubtful you’re going to be too shocked by any of the announcements.

Apart from the partnership deal between PlayStation and a leading cloud gaming service, obviously.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/24/what-to-expect-from-e3-no-not-xbox-720-and-ps4/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There is the "unknown surprise that isn't PS4."

M-PG71C

Well well, this is the kind of innovation I wanted to see out of them. Forward thinking, I like it! Lets hope it materalizes!

Carl

You may well be blown away by what’s on show, but it’s doubtful you’re going to be too shocked by any of the announcements

Sorry? You may be blown away but you won't be too shocked? Does that even make sense or am i just thick?

Edit: Reading it again, yeah i am just thick.

So yeah that cloud gaming...

The article says we might get Wii U specs - when was the last time Nintendo revealed specs at a conference? It then says we will likely get an American price - Nintendo have said they won't release price or release date information at e3.

GAMES JOURNALISM!

Before embarking on giant ventures like this, can Sony first please unify their damn network? I mean the Vita-PS3 situation. Vita people show up as offline, Vita trophies don't show up on PS3, etc. Months and months after even US/EU release and still nothing. I don't get it anymore.

V_Ben

Banned
I reckon its a partnership with Gakai, and you're going to be able to stream games directly to your console. So, pay for a PS3 game on the store, gain the ability to stream or download it. Also, rent games directly from Sony. That would work.

I reckon its a partnership with Gakai, and you're going to be able to stream games directly to your console. So, pay for a PS3 game on the store, gain the ability to stream or download it. Also, rent games directly from Sony. That would work.

The same Gakai that claimed that Sony or MS would bow out of the console market at E3?

KageMaru

Didn't some exec from one of these cloud gaming services claim one of the companies wouldn't be releasing a console next gen in a traditional sense? =p

TBH I much rather they go with Gaikai instead of Onlive. IIRC it seemed to be the better service based on DF's article.

The star of E3 this year will be Wii U. Nintendo’s LA mission is to completely lord proceedings, and you should expect both a launch date and a procession of publisher commitment. We already know about the reworked controller, and we’ll most likely get final specs. Following a muddled reveal in 2011, Wii U will be shown as a complete, finished product – with a healthy core line-up – ready for release in 2012. Don’t fall off your chair when Nintendo confirms a global Christmas launch. We may well get a US price, but you won’t for Europe: Nintendo never gives EU pricing for hardware, always saying it’s up to local retailers.

fail

The whole paragraph about Sony's showing is interesting, though. Wonder if Garratt actually knows as much about that as he sounds like he does.

OnLive should expand the service to other countries first :/ Hate that i can't buy anything just because i don't live in the UK or USA. Service runs fine and demos can be played with no problems.

Onlive did say they have discussions with both console makers, like a year ago, didn't they?

http://www.1up.com/news/onlive-talking-sony-microsoft-streaming-games

Asked by CVG if either platform might support OnLive in the future, engineering VP Joe Bentley said, "Absolutely, they would make great consoles. Our controller is a hybrid between a PS3 controller and an Xbox controller. It's all compatible, it would just work. There are OnLive guys chatting [Sony and MS], but we'll see where it goes. But it would absolutely work, we're ready to work with everybody."

Ross McGrath
‏@drof1337

Follow

By the way, if you don't have a PS+ subscription, now is the time to get one. For real. Just get 3 months if you aren't sure. Trust me.

https://twitter.com/drof1337/status/204939117212082176

Sterling McGarvey
‏@sterling_m

Follow

If there's enough warnings before E3 to get onboard something, consider it. ‪#PSPlus‬

https://twitter.com/sterling_m/statuses/205339800440549376

Shane Bettenhausen also posted, but I cant seem to find it right now.

Oh wow. If this is true, I didn't expect this at all. Also, I'm seriously wondering what these two big titles are. Could one of them be the one Pachter was smiling like an excited little kid about?

Oh wow. If this is true, I didn't expect this at all. Also, I'm seriously wondering what these two big titles are. Could one of them be the one Pachter was smiling like an excited little kid about?

That's a Vita title. Garratt's wording implies that the two big core titles he's referring to are separate from the Vita showing, i.e. for PS3.

Sorry but there won't be OnLive on any PS device.

Same reason why there won't be mario on IOs

I wonder about that too. It seems pretty dangerous. The instant you can play PC games over your console, it starts to beg the question, why does the console exist at all?

Plus, it could cut into games sales. Why would Sony/MS want Onlive to get money they could be getting?

I guess, if MS/Sony charge Onlive as big a cut for each game as they do a third party royalty, maybe?

iceatcs

How will cloud steaming will work on console?

I mean what will it use for? I can't see Onlive with PC selection on PS3, because publishers could withdrawn.

LeleSocho

Banned
I never tried cloud gaming but if input lag isn't an huge problem i think it will suit well on Vita due to its not so high resolution screen.

Top Bottom