• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2023 Has Been Canceled

EDMIX

When will Ubisoft learn, smfh cancelling thei....oh you say E3 is canceled...like canceled, canceled? lol

Lolz aside, I have no clue why folks where trying to dogpile Ubisoft, trying to use them canceling their E3 as some magical sign of "oh noez". The publisher has some issues, not going to E3 isn't one of em, that isn't some "omg wooooooow this is sooooo rare" lol

We are all going to watch this shit on Youtube, twitch etc anyways, thus why should they rush shit? Why even pack all announcements on top of other companies? If you had your lifesavings in a company and wanted to do a reveal, are you folks 100% sure it makes sense to do that ON TOP of hundreds of others?

So maybe Ubisoft, EA, Sony, MS, Nintendo and many more are better off selecting their marketing reveals away from everyone else and hogging the media spotlight to themselves.

Gambit2483

When will Ubisoft learn, smfh thei....oh you say E3 is canceled...like canceled, canceled? lol

Lolz aside, I have no clue why folks where trying to dogpile Ubisoft, trying to use them canceling their E3 as some magical sign of "oh noez". The publisher has some issues, not going to E3 isn't one of em, that isn't some "omg wooooooow this is sooooo rare" lol

We are all going to watch this shit on Youtube, twitch etc anyways, thus why should they rush shit? Why even pack all announcements on top of other companies? If you had your lifesavings in a company and wanted to do a reveal, are you folks 100% sure it makes sense to do that ON TOP of hundreds of others?

So maybe Ubisoft, EA, Sony, MS, Nintendo and many more are better off selecting their marketing reveals away from everyone else and hogging the media spotlight to themselves.
It ultimately boils down to money, I believe.

Bottom line: It's just much cheaper to do a digital event/"Nintendo direct" and post it on YouTube or stream on Twitch than to pay thousands of dollars just to do it live (with an orchestra and flute guy)

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

E3 isnt needed anymore.

TGA... has potential but needs to be more professional and less of a Jeoff thing. Yes we get it, its his baby, but change the host every year, cut out the live music performances, keep the trailers and do the awards. And cut out all that super emo shit.

RafterXL

You are talking about the pre show presentations, I'm talking about the show itself. It was great to check out games, see gaming people and see the amazing displays on the floor. A dream for any gamer. How could anyone not enjoy that?
Probably never actually attended one. E3 was amazing back in the day. I remember going back in '97 and it was easily one of the best experiences I've had as a fan of video game. I got to see, and play all kinds of games I'd never heard of and some I was already excited about. I got to strike out a virtual Ken Griffey Jr. from an actual pitching mound. I got my picture taken with with the Playboy Playmate who was Riana Rouge on a Harley. I got free drinks at the two story massive Playstation (back when console makers weren't giant cucks) bar. Every booth was giving out gamer swag, the presentations, the exhibits, the conferences, the booth babes, etc were all awesome. The place was basically a gamers Disneyland and I loved every second of it.

It's sad that it's gone but the spirit and excitement of E3 died years ago. That kind of energy just doesn't exist anymore. Political correctness and just boring, sterile people in the industry killed way before now.

Who needs E3 anyway

naw9Vhs.png

baphomet

I went to E3 twice. 2 decades apart.

It was pretty obvious the last time I went that it wasn't going to be around much longer. Lines are insufferably long, and when the public has access it might as well be an anime convention with a huge amount of unwashed nerds standing in single lines for the entire day.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
I like Keighley and the Game Awards - not a fan of summer games fest. It's garbage.

My biggest take away from this is that I remember when and miss when game companies would put out an edgy game like Duke Nukem and others that was not afraid of offending peoples delicate feelings. Old Lara, Dante, Duke Nukem, and many others. I keep waiting for the pendulum to swing back the other direction like I see so many others online tell me will happen, but so far it has not.

The other takeaway is that Jeff looks like the kind of person that got shoved into his own locker at school a lot.

Probably never actually attended one. E3 was amazing back in the day. I remember going back in '97 and it was easily one of the best experiences I've had as a fan of video game. I got to see, and play all kinds of games I'd never heard of and some I was already excited about. I got to strike out a virtual Ken Griffey Jr. from an actual pitching mound. I got my picture taken with with the Playboy Playmate who was Riana Rouge on a Harley. I got free drinks at the two story massive Playstation (back when console makers weren't giant cucks) bar. Every booth was giving out gamer swag, the presentations, the exhibits, the conferences, the booth babes, etc were all awesome. The place was basically a gamers Disneyland and I loved every second of it.

It's sad that it's gone but the spirit and excitement of E3 died years ago. That kind of energy just doesn't exist anymore. Political correctness and just boring, sterile people in the industry killed way before now.
True!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Covid did for this. And it doesn't sound like the ESA were willing to put in the work or time to bring the publishers and devs back again.

AmuroChan

I've been to both E3 and Gamescom before, and while those are cool events, my favorite gaming conference is PSX by far. It was much less of a madhouse inside the convention center and the whole vibe was just much more casual. People like Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes were literally just standing out in the open engaging with fans. It was awesome.

Man... E3 was pretty amazing for me. I really miss doing all the dev interviews and meeting new people.

My most memorable were the following

-Meeting Charles Martinet voice actor of Mario and getting his autograph.

-Meeting Miyazaki behind closed doors for the first private screening/preview of Bloodborne in 2014

-Meeting Miyazaki again behind closed doors for the first private screening/preview of Dark Souls III. Cameras and audio recordings were NOT allowed.

-Saying hi and having a chit chat with Adam Boyes when he was still with Sony at a random E3 booth.

-Meeting Phil Spencer at the private Microsoft E3 party where I also got to meet Bonnie Ross and few other people from studious like Turn 10, Rare and so on.

-Bumping into Phil again at a Bethesda party. Thus time we chatted like friends who knew each other for a long time.

- Seeing Mark Cerny in person in same room giving everyone the creepy eye look. I was too intimidated to say hello.

- Witnessing the announcement of The Last Guardian, FF7 Remake and Shenmue III at the E3 2015 Sony Conference live in person as an attendee. This was a conference of mythical proportions. We will never ever witness anything like this ever again.

- Witnessing the reveal of RE7 and God of War 2018 in person was incredible as well.

- Becoming close friends with Joe Neate and Mike Chapman from Rare. They were/are the main leads behind SoT. I have them friended on Twitter. They would always talk to me for at least an hour. We would share stories and good times like friends who knew each other for the longest times. We did interviews 3 years in a row back to back in person. Rare is full of good folks, I wish them nothing but the best.

- Even though I never cared for Metal Gear Solid franchise, watching the reveal at the MS press conference for MGS5 was a sight to behold.

The thing about these E3 shows was that it was almost like living a real life pipe dream. Actually...no. it WAS living the pipedream. Some of them were so good, that you couldn't believe it was real.

I will never forget Gaf back in those days. We had Demonite, Verendus and CrazyButtocksOnATrains slowly feeding and leaking stuff. This was also Neogaf's peak. EviLore EviLore please hold me, ima cry. I miss those days.

E3 was for gamers by gamers. And anyone who's glad its gone is not a true gamer. You had to experience it to truly understand it. It wasn't just about working in the industry for me and trying to write up articles or shit to talk about on the internet.

It was about getting with everyone together and having a massive party and celebrating gaming with all the devs and publishers. I will truly miss those glory days.

Last edited:

ranmafan

It's a bittersweet feeling that's for sure. The E3 of old was a fun time to watch all the announcements and get excited for the future of gaming all in one place. I certainly will miss that. And as someone that has been to TGS and experienced something like e3, the show floor part was fun to see from home as well. And like others, in my younger days I absolutely wanted to go. I will certainly miss the e3 of 1995-2015. However, it's no secret the show has gone downhill for years with less interest by the industry as a whole. It also wasn't helped by the fact that there was constantly year in and year out complaints about the show. Just look how game journalists (I don't really care about their complaints but lets just put them out there) would contently complain about the show, whether it was the problems covering it, the location, or the fact they didn't like regular people going. Which was also another issue. The show never really could deal with the attendance issue. For years it was supposed to be trade only but of course everyone who wanted could get in, and the show presented itself more as a circus for the fans and not a trade show. By the time they figured out fans should have their days, the events days were numbered.

Times have changed and the need for e3 is just not there anymore in a digital world. But the alternatives are a bit of a hit or miss. I love the directs but between them are large amounts of time where we get almost no information and no idea when we will get it. At least with e3 we knew we would get something at some specific time. As for Geoff Keighley's shows, I've always said how I feel about how terrible they are, and I continue to feel that way. I don't see his game fest and game awards as great replacements for e3 at all.

As they say all good things must come to an end. Let's just hope that the industry comes up with better ways in the years to come to generate that excitement we had when e3 was a big deal. Unfortunately, I'm pessimistic about it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
E3 was great but this isn't a surprise. Since Covid19 and the cancellation of E3 2020, it was just a matter of time. Moving forward, we have -

Summer Game Fest - June 8th
Xbox Games Showcase - June 11th
Starfield Direct - June 11th
Ubisoft Forward - June 12th

Expecting a PlayStation Showcase, Nintendo Direct, possibly EA Play, Devolver and perhaps a few others between June 8th and June 16th but we'll see.

E3 was great but this isn't a surprise. Since Covid19 and the cancellation of E3 2020, it was just a matter of time. Moving forward, we have -

Summer Game Fest - June 8th
Xbox Games Showcase - June 11th
Starfield Direct - June 11th
Ubisoft Forward - June 12th

Expecting a PlayStation Showcase, Nintendo Direct, possibly EA Play, Devolver and perhaps a few others between June 8th and June 16th but we'll see.
Glad too see you here man.

Yargonaut

Neo Member
Sad news, but I feel like part of the allure of E3's heyday was the fact that video games were still a rapidly changing medium. Every few years we would see massive leaps in graphics and tech. We'd see gameplay mechanics that have never been seen before. These shows felt like you were looking into the future.

It's why the last 8-9 years of E3 have kind of fallen flat a bit, at least to me. Games overall just aren't making as big enough leaps anymore. The shows now are mostly CG trailers for games we've kind of played before. I still tuned in, and I still got excited for games that have been shown off in those last years, but overall E3 didn't have that huge "WOW" factor that it used to.

That said, I'll miss the spectacle of it all. I get that it's cheaper for these companies to have their own streaming shows, but it was still cool to have a centralized gaming event which brings everybody together and gets everybody excited. And I'll of course miss the beautifully awkward live presentations. (Sony 2006 and Wii Music forever.)

supernova8

Banned
It would be fine if the three main platformers still did their own physical presentations/conferences. We don't actually need E3 as a "thing" for any of that (anymore). The reason I'm disappointed is that we're just moving more and more in the direction of lifeless, sterile content with no real human interaction.

Sure it's embarrassing when AssCreed Black Flag crashes mid demo or when Battlefield 4 refuses to load at all during the live show, but that's the human touch. It's something to remember. It's the jank. We need the fucking jank.

Best part of TGA was when that kid crashed the Elden Ring GOTY acceptance speech right at the end (can't even remember what he said but it doesn't matter) precisely because it was totally random.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It ultimately boils down to money, I believe.

Bottom line: It's just much cheaper to do a digital event/"Nintendo direct" and post it on YouTube or stream on Twitch than to pay thousands of dollars just to do it live (with an orchestra and flute guy)

Pretty much.

You'd be paying more money, to then reveal on top of hundreds of other reveals.

So its not only cheaper to have a stealth reveal on social media, its more effective.

Sad stuff

Enjoy The Geoff's now, with infinite commercials and wet fart announcements.

And more cringe time than all E3's combined

I remember so many amazing E3 moments: Twilight Princess announcement, Wii announcement, Kinect, Metal Gear and FF on the Xbox, Sony's 2015 E3 (the GOAT) ...

Blade Runner Film GIF

Summer Game Fest and TGA doesnt even come an inch close to that

It was like christmas. I'll never understand those who were cheering for E3's death.
EXATLY!!! It has been a perpetual hell for game announcements since E3.

I really hate this. We now have to put up with mediocre announcements spread out all throughout the year and the absolutely shitty ad riddled game awards to get new game launch trailers. E3 used to be such an exciting time as a gamer. Christmas in June.

Food Poisoning Reaction GIF by lilcozynostril

YCoCg

I'll miss it, I always threw in a weeks vacation during that period so now I'll have to decide where else to use them instead. But as I said in another thread months ago, yes E3 was cringe, yes E3 was bad at times, BUT it was that one fixed point that all of us as gamers could come together and get hyped or cringed and talk about it live.

nush

- Witnessing the announcement of The Last Guardian, FF7 Remake and Shenmue III at the E3 2015 Sony Conference live in person as an attendee. This was a conference of mythical proportions. We will never ever witness anything like this ever again.

I was there but not directly there and there was a shockwave that went through the convention center because people were watching the stream while setting up for opening day. You're right, they'll never be a moment like that again.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Whack.

Hopefully geoffrey gathers some actual hype to showcase this year because last year he had nothing to show…

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
idk man... Space Marine 2, Death Stranding 2 and Armored Core 6 all in 1 show seemed pretty banger to me tbh.

You’re talking about the game awards chief . That to me always delivers something.

I’m talking about his summer games fest, which you know had nothing.

Screw any and every company that refused to attend. E3 was the most exciting event of the year not all that long ago, thrilling gamers all over with the press conferences, game showcases, announcements, etc.

Its death is heartbreaking.

Shame on all that let this happen.

Hoppa

A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

Edit: Actually I lied this news sucks. This show would’ve been garbage whether or not it went ahead but not having proper E3 events is sad. It’s like imagining a time in the future when people will ask “remember the Simpsons?” even though nobody watches it anymore

Dorito King Geoff’s game award show just isn’t an enjoyable event

Last edited:
Screw any and every company that refused to attend. E3 was the most exciting event of the year not all that long ago, thrilling gamers all over with the press conferences, game showcases, announcements, etc.

Shame on companies realizing they are paying premium for an in-person conference when all they have to do is post a video on YT and it will get 5 million views in one day? E3 is a dinosaur plus theres more alternatives than ever. Its E3 fault they never moved with the trend, expecting they can charge insane prices for space rent. When you lose SONY and Nintendo from the show and still dont make any changes to your pricing system, you deserve to die.

nush

Its E3 fault they never moved with the trend, expecting they can charge insane prices for space rent.

That's all trade shows to be fair. They charge for whatever they can, not just the booth space. "You want to be listed in the catalog of attendees?" That's $200 please. "You want to be even considered for product of the show?" That's $500 please. They are actually only a chance of benefit for B2B connections.

That's all trade shows to be fair. They charge for whatever they can, not just the booth space. "You want to be listed in the catalog of attendees?" That's $200 please. "You want to be even considered for product of the show?" That's $500 please. They are actually only a chance of benefit for B2B connections.
IGN, Gamespot had to pay very pretty for expo/booth of their own spaces. I looked into it once, the pricing is nutty. I think it was in the 80K range, just to have your own corner where you invite people/devs over to chill at your booth and conduct interviews or have special looks.

Also to do E3 stuff, publishers and devs had to make dedicated demos for the shows. That alone would cost money and a ton of prep work way ahead before the show would even start. Covid is what fucked everything, because it delayed the entire industry hardcore, no one had the time to make any vertical slice demos anymore let alone finish developing games and trying to ship them out. This is all because of COVID and its showing its effects now. I don't know how long it will take for the industry to put itself back on track, but the delays are quite massive.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The people that killed E3 are the people that run it, not the people who don't want to attend anymore, because the people who run it made it too expensive.

Direct your anger at the ESA.

K' Dash

Remember that E3 when people here shat on Nintendo for doing a Direct for the first time instead of a conference?

Lol.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Damn I miss the good ol’ days, remember listing to 1up yours podcast with the OG’s at a Vegas pool bar talking about the craziness of the day.

Feel sorry for kids these days, gaming and the media around it is so sterile now.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I went 4 times in 2005 & 2006 then again in 2017 & 2018. It was so exciting as a gamer. It was Disneyland and Las Vegas and Christmas in June all wrapped up in games. I'm so sad it's gone.

I'm guessing Xbox and Bethesda probably aren't coming down here now that there is no E3, but it would be soooo cool if they came anyway and they did their showcases live from the Microsoft Theater in front of a live audience. Not going to happen but it would be awesome.

Top Bottom