• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 impressions: Wii titles

adg1034

Thanks to everyone who wrote up their impressions. But, a question- are there enough DS titles on the show floor to warrant an "E3 impressions: DS titles" thread? I needs my Scribblenauts fix.

Ekgar

Banned
I think NSMBW will be a blast, if I played 4 person. 4 Swords was incredibly fun w/ 4 players, but I'm not touching it as a single player game. Hence, I won't get NSMBW because I have no friends. Online would've been nice, but oh well.

Nocebo

Thanks for all the other impression. Got me interested in the conduit. Good to hear more about crystal bearers too.
adg1034 said:
Thanks to everyone who wrote up their impressions. But, a question- are there enough DS titles on the show floor to warrant an "E3 impressions: DS titles" thread? I needs my Scribblenauts fix.
This!

Ekgar said:
I think NSMBW will be a blast, if I played 4 person. 4 Swords was incredibly fun w/ 4 players, but I'm not touching it as a single player game. Hence, I won't get NSMBW because I have no friends. Online would've been nice, but oh well.
You didn't like NSMB?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wrestlemania said:
You didn't like NSMB?
I didn't like New Super Mario Bros. on DS (in fact, I hated it), but this one was so much fun with four people. I can easily see this being played with friends all of the time after the demo.

Ekgar said:
You don't need friends to play it....!

Banned
The Conduit THREE WEEKS!!!! That's exciting!
NSMB Wii I love NSMB on DS so if it's more of that style but new levels, i'm amped. Then the 4 player mode, seems fun too. Very interested.
New Metroid Could be awesome or rubbish, don't know...
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Can't even say how excited I am to play this!

Right there is a good time! Then you have all the Motion + titles, which i'm pretty interested in, and the Wii is about to get less dusty.

Sadist

I'm surprised by the postive reactions on the Conduit. GAF seemed a bit... carefull around the title but the impressions overall are getting more enthousiastic.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
NSMBW seem like a load of fun, I'm not too worried about issues in the multiplayer (usually when everything goes to hell it's also fun in these types of games). S&P2 sounds exactly like I expected and exactly how I want it to be too. Sweet.

And

CrisKre said:
FF CC The Crystal Bearers:

This is a ballsy square-enix right here. You read that right. High production values, heave ( and i mean HEAVY) story emphasis abd yet fresh and unique gameplay. The demo starts with the cruise attack you see on trailers, follows with you skydiving through the air, piloting the ship until you crash right into the city crystal-castle thing you all have seen in the trailers. There you get acquainted with the controls. Its a Zelda with telekinesis basically. And it seems to work beautifully. My only problem is the camera control, which is mapped to the directional cross, but it certainly is no deal-breaker. The graphics are knock out gorgeous tw. The texture quality is superb, dont believe the badly compressed trailer.
donkey show said:
FFCC: The Crystal Bearers
Throwing fools in this game is good shit. Pretty solid gameplay. I concur with CrisKre in his impressions. Awesome game.
AniHawk said:
I played The Crystal Bearers, and there's no doubt that there was a lot of effort put into this game. The part I played was of the main character controlling this ship, and you had to steer it so it wouldn't crash into the rock walls on either side. Meanwhile, as you crash more and more, this girl becomes more and more frantic, starting off with screaming and eventually ending up with comments like "WE'RE GONNA DIE!" It looks like the Wii remote is there for pointer controls mostly. You pick things (or people) up and throw them. Aaaand that's about as far as I got. Good voice acting, though.
Taxman said:
Final Fantasy: CC: TCB - When I played this at the Nintendo booth, there were no headphones, so the demo was really boring at first. There were tons of long cutscenes that I couldn't understand. Then in the middle the attendee got some headphones and I could understand things. After that I really started to like the demo more. The gameplay is quite fun, throwing things around. I liked throwing the guards the most. Graphically I think it needs work. There were parts that looked quite good but other parts that I thought looked very ugly.
From the videos it looked to me that the demo was a little lackluster but fuck me, such good impressions. Thanks guys. The pointer based powers + lots of things (and people) to play around with sound great. Emphasis on plot may slightly suck but I'm not worried, I enjoyed the cutscenes I've seen and they'll certainly get more sparse mid game.

CrisKre said:
I, sure they will. there was a heavy emphasize on FFCC on squares booth surprisingly.
This game feels closer than ever.

AniHawk

First-things-first, I checked out Wii Sports Resort, because I wanted to see if Motion + was bad on Red Steel 2 or if it was just bad in general. I only got to play some swordfighting, but it seemed pretty good. The guy I faced off against just waggled away while I tried planning attacks. I beat him four out of five times (I blocked and while he was off-balance, knocked him back). The archery stuff looked pretty good, and a newbie who cut in front of me (damn you N-Philes and joy-stiq guys), did pretty well for their first try. The fencing minigame looked reminiscent of Zelda in a couple ways. I'm not sure I'd like either one in a Zelda game though.

The next thing I did was play Zelda: Spirit Tracks. They were handing out the same styluses that came with the Phantom Hourglass preorder. The boss fight and little bit of the dungeon I played were all right. I'm 90% sure I saw Kobun Heat cut ahead of the line (again, just as it was almost my go) along with this guy from some Playstation publication. While in line, someone from Sony asked what the line was for. When he heard it was for Zelda he asked, "is that some sort of game?" Of course not, not at E3.

I got some hands on time with Muramasa, and it was better than I expected. I don't know if it could be so good for the entire game, though, but it's now on my radar. I like that there are different swords, and switching between them (especially midair) is badass. I don't think they're going to dub the voices, and for once, I think it's a good decision.

I played Sin & Punishment 2 and I died, never finding out how to use the sword. It was pretty crazy.

Icarian was available at the Wiiware kiosk. I played the level from the trailer, and it was pretty great. While I was playing, two people from SCEA Santa Monica came over and asked if it was the new Kid Icarus (they were sort of in awe... I think). Good game, and nice use of the pointer controls with the platforming genre. It's the first game to do what this game does in the genre, and that's cool. I just wish the pointer didn't vanish for some reason on the second level. Maybe it was a problem with the save. Still, it's definitely a must-buy.

I gave NSMB Wii a shot afterward and I like this game much more this go around. Yesterday, I was a bit unimpressed with it. Today I got into several four player matches (I think I played for an hour, and for whatever reason, no one came to our little corner kiosk). After trying to be a team player and one guy kept trying to screw me over, I just decided to be a douchebag. I picked people off, threw them into chasms, and brought the ones back to life that I wanted to be brought back to life. At some point they all tried teaming up to take me down, but I still got first place. One thing I noticed that I didn't before is that these ten levels are actually picks from the full game. World 1-1, World 7-1, World 4-Boss level, etc. Some of the later levels were nearly impossible with four players, especially since we kept trying to fuck each other over. Lots of fun. It's now one of the favorite games I've played at the show.

I think this was when I went over to the South Hall to play The Conduit single player. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as good as the multiplayer. You have a location to reach, and in order to get there, you have to fight these ugly looking enemies. The controls are solid, but the main game isn't quite there. One thing that did stand out was one part of the level where I went through a destroyed house, and everything was on its side and disorienting (but it wasn't bad. I found it clever). Everything else just seemed kinda generic. Then again, it is the early part of the game, so maybe it gets better. It's at least better than Red Steel 2.

Next was Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and I was surprised. It's very good. Voice acting is nice, controls work, and the cell phone stuff is well thought out (it reminded me of GTA IV's cell phone feature, except this was better). I stopped playing when the world changed to the ice world because well, I didn't really want to do that. Oh, but the music is so nice. One of the games I was more impressed with at the show.

Got to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Got my ass handed to me right quick, but I at least button-mashed two super moves for Ryu.

At some point, I played TMNT Smash Up. It's basically Smash Bros. Brawl without polish. And I didn't care much for Brawl, so... yeah. The level where everyone was eaten by crocs was funny, at least.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Great set of impressions AniHawk!
Disappointed with The Conduit stuff, but it's expected. You didn't play the WSR disk golf did you? Silent Hill sounds great!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
AniHawk said:
I gave NSMB Wii a shot afterward and I like this game much more this go around. Yesterday, I was a bit unimpressed with it. Today I got into several four player matches (I think I played for an hour, and for whatever reason, no one came to our little corner kiosk). After trying to be a team player and one guy kept trying to screw me over, I just decided to be a douchebag. I picked people off, threw them into chasms, and brought the ones back to life that I wanted to be brought back to life. At some point they all tried teaming up to take me down, but I still got first place. One thing I noticed that I didn't before is that these ten levels are actually picks from the full game. World 1-1, World 7-1, World 4-Boss level, etc. Some of the later levels were nearly impossible with four players, especially since we kept trying to fuck each other over. Lots of fun. It's now one of the favorite games I've played at the show.

Yeah, sounds just like 4 swords.

You've gotta know when to be a dick, and when to cooperate.

scitek

So, The Conduit plays like a regular ol' FPS in single player and has some fun online play? Good enough for me. Day one. :p

AniHawk said:
While in line, someone from Sony asked what the line was for. When he heard it was for Zelda he asked, "is that some sort of game?" Of course not, not at E3.

Icarian was available at the Wiiware kiosk. I played the level from the trailer, and it was pretty great. While I was playing, two people from SCEA Santa Monica came over and asked if it was the new Kid Icarus (they were sort of in awe... I think).

51AHH20F7NL._SS500_.jpg

EDarkness

I think this was when I went over to the South Hall to play The Conduit single player. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as good as the multiplayer. You have a location to reach, and in order to get there, you have to fight these ugly looking enemies. The controls are solid, but the main game isn't quite there. One thing that did stand out was one part of the level where I went through a destroyed house, and everything was on its side and disorienting (but it wasn't bad. I found it clever). Everything else just seemed kinda generic. Then again, it is the early part of the game, so maybe it gets better. It's at least better than Red Steel 2.

Heh, sounds about what I was expecting, so I'm gonna love this game. I never go into these kinds of games expecting revolutionary, just fun. Sounds like it's pretty fun in single player and that's all I need to know. Thanks for the impressions, man.

Boss Man

Wow, Crystal Bearers sounds really interesting. Wasn't really sure how "Final Fantasy" it was, or what exactly it was trying to do.

Top Bottom