• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and YouTube producers seemingly broke FTC guidelines with Battlefield 4 promotion

So.

How about that upcoming MS or EA game, huh?

More likely, sure, but to just assume anyone with a substantial following is a shill is just bollocks, and I'm sure a disservice to many who pride themselves in being open and honest. Many you can usually tell apart, because they will happily rip certain games apart, even major titles that others won't dare to.

My point is, stop with this everyone is doing it malarkey. Because it simply is not true. And not all promoters are alike either. For example, is it surprising to anyone EA and Microsoft are two of the biggest culprits? These have always been among the shadiest and most un-trust worthy in the industry.

That's the entire reason the no disclosure clause is so insidious isn't it, though? Who is or is not on the take? In a growing segment of the industry. With hungry, young, inexperienced people being offered what is for them good money, just keep it hush hush. In an age where getting millions of copies of that expensive AAA blockbustahspectacacklethonpaloozafest in gamers hands before they can know of the flaws in this heavily open, interwoven age.

I have a feeling this payola thing goes way deeper and more illegal than just youtube streamers.

For instance, there were almost zero gaming sites that posted news about the completely broken state BF4 was in for two weeks after it's release.

Only 3-4 weeks in did the major media sites start reporting on it.

See? Who would have imagined this mere months ago? What is malarkey? Too much cynicism...or too little? There is no discernable line now. Trust is burning. Burning everywhere.

Jeff at giantbomb has been mentioning for awhile that he is going to release a book basically talking bout all the shit bts in gaming press. Think he said it might be when he is done with gaming press in general

I will buy the shit out of that.

Kibbles

I don't get that FTC quote. So it's against the law but the law isn't enforced and they don't really give a shit?

Aeneas

Leave it to youtubers to make the gaming press look like the Washington Post. Some disgusting practices going on here. Pure greed and zero respect for their viewers. Hopefully it will lead to more skepticism and less threads on what opinion youtuber xyz has.

It does suck to hear this stuff cos now people will look at them all differently. But if you are subscribed to these people and watch their stuff it shouldn't be THAT surprising.

levelcap in particular is always getting endorsed, he has a PC made by "Origin PC" which he promoted, he is sponsored by AirsoftGI for his airsoft videos and he said nothing but good things about BF4 even on the X1 (the other "paid off by MS" story) and then a month later said the game was broken and posted a video asking if it would survive as a game.

Fallom

Banned
Sure are lots of people in here reading "paid endorsements are fine" and not reading "as long as the fact that a endorser is being paid is 'clearly and conspicuously' disclosed".

Can't find a non-disclosure condition in that assignment. If video producers didn't mention they were paid by EA to not focus on glitches, it looks like that's on them. Congratulations to those who've assassinated their integrity.

I don't get that FTC quote. So it's against the law but the law isn't enforced and they don't really give a shit?
Ditto.

VariantX

Why even bother wasting someones energy to even write up a bunch of pointless, toothless rules and guidelines? So its perfectly ok for people to break the rules because you don't feel like enforcing it?

sbkodama

Another good reason not to look at all these laughable youtubers.
I will never understand how this kind of thing could be initially followed.

olimpia84

Good job EA...seriously this is embarrassing and I hope they get punished somehow. BF4 launch is one of the biggest jokes in gaming.

In the article it notes that the guidelines are examples given by the FTC as a way of interpreting the existing laws.

So no, they are not laws themselves, but violating the guidelines they give are likely going to be against one of the existing laws.

Whether or not they will actually be enforced is another story altogether, however.

CryptiK

It was fucking clear they were being paid off. Especially JackFrags all he did was talk good about the shit game. No issues were raised (apart from one minor one hit bug which is now back in the game btw). The game is trash and I hope everyone involved gets their ass handed to them by the FTC

Expose em. Expose em all.

It's one thing to get invited to a BF4 preview event for the exclusive access and extended play time. It's another to sign a deal with EA or Microsoft, or whoever and shill about the product after the fact in a manner where you offer no criticism or critiques at all.

Did any of the culprits mentioned in the article make a stink about the copyright claims issues or did they keep quiet because they were sitting pretty with the deals they signed?

Edit:

This is....very disappointing.

Unsubscribed to JackFrags.

I did that before posting here.

_hekk05

Banned
I admit to checking out jackfrags videos of bf4 to decide if I was finally going to end my origin boycott.

Boycott is still on.

tafer

We really need the full list of these "undercover advertisers". In no small part to avoid punishing those with some decency.

Vasili2K38

I remember talking with my brother about how well performed Battlefield 4 in Jackfrags videos compared to the real mess, and we joke about how EA gave those people special servers. Welp :/ . I enjoy a lot Battlefield 4 (when the game works -_-), and I'm not a "boycott" guy, but more and more I'm tempted to clear my Origin backlog (a pair of games and nothing special) and then uninstall it and in the future don't touch anything EA related.

Cuburt

"The guides are guidance to help advertisers and endorsers comply with federal advertising law," said Betsy Lordan, with the FTC Office of Public Affairs. "They are not legally enforceable, and there are no monetary penalties or penalties of any kind associated with them."

Non-compliance with the law is not legally enforceable?

What in the actual fuck?

nib95

Banned
What the hell, just checked LevelCapGaming's YT channel. Each of his vids gets like 100k to 200k views, at $10 CPM that means EA is paying him roughly $1000-$2000 a video. JackFrags is getting like $500-$1000. Fucking hell.

So we're gonna have one of these a week now?

This is simultaneously depressing and encouraging. I hate the fact that this exists, and is even seen as normal by some people, but only good can come out of it being exposed like this. For as much as we say people on the internet don't matter (and they don't, and this will probably continue), the only way to keep a check on these kinds of things is to maintain constant vigilance. If that means we're gonna have to have a shitstorm every week about the next publisher doing this (I don't even want to imagine the threads if Nintendo or Sony somehow get linked to one of these), then so be it.

As for the legality of the matter: the Polygon article left me very confused at first; at first it seems to state point blank that these acts are not illegal, since the guidelines themselves are not legally enforceable. But later on, it also says:

But the guides are just that, guides. They aren't laws, so they are not legally enforceable.

What they are is a set of guidelines meant to boil down the dense language of U.S. federal advertising laws.

This is an absurd statement. If these guidelines are meant to boil down U.S. Law in a way a layman can understand it, the law itself must make some mention of disclosure in advertisements. Further research on my part yielded me this:

Guides are “administrative interpretations of laws administered by the Commission.” 16 C.F.R. § 1.5.

The FTC wouldn't draft an interpretation of a law where it adds new regulation. Seeing as Polygon made no attempt at getting to the root of the issue (In hindsight, it seems to me as if this article did nothing but muddy the waters of the discussion, as did the comments but the FTC spokeswoman, which at this point seem like mere semantical argument.), I took it upon myself to peruse through the FTC Act, the piece of federal legislation that covers advertising. At first run through my search gave me nothing, and honestly after being in the middle of the discussion for almost 3 days by that point (and being quite tired of reading legalese) I left it aside. But this thread and some of the responses piqued my interest one more time and I went back into the law. Its quite funny now that I missed it, as it heads a section:

Section 5 of the FTC Act, U.S. Code, Title 15, Chapter 2, Subchapter I, § 45

1) Unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, are hereby declared unlawful.

2) The Commission is hereby empowered and directed to prevent persons, partnerships, or corporations... from using unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce.

Seeing as these guides expound on the principles dictated in the law, and therefore must draw from it, it is my reading that this is the section the guides base themselves on to require advertisers to disclose monetary arrangements. It is my view that it falls directly under the 'deceptive acts' listed above. Furthermore, it is in this same section that we find mention of the $10,000 per infraction that was listed in the original Ars Technica article.

Due to this, It seems quite clear to me that failure to disclose of contractual endorsement not only violates FTC Guidelines, by extension it also directly violates the FTC Act. Polygon's article claiming that the guidelines themselves are not legally enforceable is correct only in strict sense of that sentence: the guidelines themselves are not enforceable, but the material they are based on is. Pure semantics.

Now, I don't presume my reading of the situation is the correct one. While I am a Lawyer, I am neither trained in Common Law nor much less U.S. Law (though I have lived here for the majority of my life, and as such have a certain affinity and understanding of it.) I welcome anyone with better credentials (or anyone that can read, as a Law Degree is not required to do research) to revise my findings. However, I believe this is the same interpretation that the FTC gives to the law (as evidence by their creation of the guidelines).

Link to the FTC Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising, which specifically "address the application of Section 5 of the FTC Act (15 U.S.C. 45) to the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising."

Link to the FTC Act

Link to Section 5 of the FTC Act - Unfair Methods Of Competition Unlawful

Link to FTC Policy Statement on Unfairness

TL;DR - It's illegal as fuck.

Nokterian

Levelcap and FrankieonPC? Goddamn guys follow the money! No wonder there wasn't a bad word before it was released and looking at levelcap his later video's what could be fixed it now shows how there where really lying to us. Stay classy EA!

Remmy2112

Up until the at home beta weren't these guys only allowed to play the game at shows and special events hosted by EA with pre-configured computers and capture cards? These were situations tailor-made to show the game at its best and LevelCap, JackFrags, Xfactor, and others did still report there were some crash issues especially with the Paracel Storm map. To get footage of the ship crashing they specifically had to not kill each other over a couple of games because they were ending too early or the game would crash as the ship was about to hit. It even led to a funny story of a troll targeting another player trying to get footage and knifing him right as he was about to capture the big event.

Also the beta, surprisingly, was in better condition than the game at launch when it came to crashes. Some people reported problems with 780 cards, and some other issues, but it was a little more stable and kill trades seemed less, though that part is anecdotal. A number of issues had been commented on by Level and the other Battlefield youtubers he runs with.

KoopaTheCasual

This is simultaneously depressing and encouraging. I hate the fact that this exists, and is even seen as normal by some people, but only good can come out of it being exposed like this. For as much as we say people on the internet don't matter (and they don't, and this will probably continue), the only way to keep a check on these kinds of things is to maintain constant vigilance. If that means we're gonna have to have a shitstorm every week about the next publisher doing this (I don't even want to imagine the threads if Nintendo or Sony somehow get linked to one of these), then so be it.

As for the legality of the matter: the Polygon article left me very confused at first; at first it seems to state point blank that these acts are not illegal, since the guidelines themselves are not legally enforceable. But later on, it also says:

This is an absurd statement. If these guidelines are meant to boil down U.S. Law in a way a layman can understand it, the law itself must make some mention of disclosure in advertisements. Further research on my part yielded me this:

The FTC wouldn't draft an interpretation of a law where it adds new regulation. Seeing as Polygon made no attempt at getting to the root of the issue (In hindsight, it seems to me as if this article did nothing but muddy the waters of the discussion, as did the comments but the FTC spokeswoman, which at this point seem like mere semantical argument.), I took it upon myself to peruse through the FTC Act, the piece of federal legislation that covers advertising. At first run through my search gave me nothing, and honestly after being in the middle of the discussion for almost 3 days by that point (and being quite tired of reading legalese) I left it aside. But this thread and some of the responses piqued my interest one more time and I went back into the law. Its quite funny now that I missed it, as it heads a section:

Seeing as these guides expound on the principles dictated in the law, and therefore must draw from it, it is my reading that this is the section the guides base themselves on to require advertisers to disclose monetary arrangements. It is my view that it falls directly under the 'deceptive acts' listed above. Furthermore, it is in this same section that we find mention of the $10,000 per infraction that was listed in the original Ars Technica article.

Due to this, It seems quite clear to me that failure to disclose of contractual endorsement not only violates FTC Guidelines, by extension it also directly violates the FTC Act. Polygon's article claiming that the guidelines themselves are not legally enforceable is correct only in strict sense of that sentence: the guidelines themselves are not enforceable, but the material they are based on is. Pure semantics.

Now, I don't presume my reading of the situation is the correct one. While I am a Lawyer, I am neither trained in Common Law nor much less U.S. Law (though I have lived here for the majority of my life, and as such have a certain affinity and understanding of it.) I welcome anyone with better credentials (or anyone that can read, as a Law Degree is not required to do research) to revise my findings. However, I believe this is the same interpretation that the FTC gives to the law (as evidence by their creation of the guidelines).

Link to the FTC Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising, which specifically "address the application of Section 5 of the FTC Act (15 U.S.C. 45) to the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising."

Link to the FTC Act

Wow. Thank you for doing the heavy lifting and actually finding the exact law this breaks. It's good to know that this is factually illegal. Whether or not anyone acts upon the law, however, is a completely different story. I hope someone steps up to the plate.

Wow. Thank you for doing the heavy lifting and actually finding the exact law this breaks. It's good to know that this is factually illegal. Whether or not anyone acts upon the law, however, is a completely different story. I hope someone steps up to the plate.

Thanks. Like I said, I had stopped reading into this but this thread drove me to get to the bottom of it. (I will say I'm happy someone saw it, as I soon as I posted and noticed the hour I foresaw this thread sinking into the depths of the forum to never be seen again xD).

It's unlikely legal action will be taken if Machinima/MS get the Youtubers to add disclaimers to their videos; the way the FTC enforces the law is by sending 'warnings' so to speak to the infringing company. Only after repeated warnings (issued only if the company fails to rectify the infringement.) will the FTC attempt legal action; I think it's clear from Microsoft's statements that they are trying to rectify those mistakes. Either way, the fact that this came out to light is enough to keep advertisers on their toes for a while, so not al is lost even if no one is prosecuted.

One more thing:

The FTC has only investigated 3 similar cases under the new rules. Given the fact that its actually Machinima's contract, the fact that they don't really seem to care given widespread similar abuse, and the presumptuousness of thinking that we, who lack expertise in this realm, know more about this sphere than the qualified legal teams of these companies, its unlikely that anything will happen.

I've seen you say this for the past couple of days, but this no longer holds water. Though I could accept this logic when it was unclear as to why the contracts were drafted in the way they were, all the subsequent communications from both Machinima and especially Microsoft point us at the fact that a mistake was made. This was not some loophole the legal teams found when drafting the contract; Machinima themselves make as much clear when they state they don't know why this latest contract is missing the disclosure text, and Microsoft further reinforces that by stating "We have asked Machinima to not post any additional Xbox One content as part of this media buy and we have asked them to add disclaimers to the videos that were part of this program indicating they were part of paid advertising.”

The defense that the lawyers knew what they were doing and therefore must be in the right can't be taken into consideration when both Machinima and Microsoft have heavily implied that a mistake was made, and therefore the lawyers did NOT know what they were doing.

troushers

Nice post.

Furthermore, I wonder if Battlefield 4 is a special case here re: legality. Arguably, BF4 was a defective product at launch. EA gagged these people even as it paid for the advertorials to get out there. False, deceptive advertising with the willing collusion of youtube shills like Jackfrags.

bootski

umm, this is clearly deception and i'm almost positive it is in fact illegal per US federal law. now, i don't know about enforcement but it's nice that behavior like that is legislated rather than the situation here in Canada where a) they won't touch "foreign media" which most advertisements in Canada are and b) the Standards Council that creates the guide and enforces it are made up primarily of lawyers and executives from large companies, including advertisers.

edit: wow, enanogrande broke it down quite nicely, gj guy.

zainetor

Banned
JackFrags, I am done with you. Unsubscribing to your channel. Also, FrankieOnPC is pretty bad too:

Shameful. Hope ruining your integrity was worth the extra cash.

after reading this, I'm sure the voices about him hacking in some games, are true.

See? Who would have imagined this mere months ago? What is malarkey? Too much cynicism...or too little? There is no discernable line now. Trust is burning. Burning everywhere.

It's nice to finally have some tangible proof. It goes without saying that if these companies employ these kinds of tactics on Youtube, they also employ them with gaming websites that are far more dependant on these publishers than Youtubers ever were. Personally, that line is very, very clear to me. It has been for a long time, but as I said, it's very nice to have tangible proof of it now.

Polk

It'll be interesting to see whether any of these guys make a video in response to the allegations.

Can't wait.
I would do those videos anyway and I love the game so this contract it's just icing on a cake.
And all BF games are released broken so I could tolerate bugs within first few days.
This situation is blown out of proportion.

I imagine similar defense.

LeleSocho

Banned
Another good reason not to look at all these laughable youtubers.
I will never understand how this kind of thing could be initially followed.

You would think at this point people are smart enough to not follow anyone that gives you any kind of review or judgement about these thing or at the very least follow them with the consciousness that they are biased.

Link to the FTC Act

Great post. As I mentioned in one of the other threads the quotes Crecente published from the FTC rep seemed to reflect that she thought he was asking stupid questions forcing her to explain to him that the guidelines aren't laws because the laws are laws, as if he was a 9 year old child. Unfortunately he seemed to interpret her semantic clarification as an absolution of fault when clearly not the case. The FTC doesn't enforce guidelines the same way the DEA doesn't enforce the D.A.R.E handbook. If you ask a cop if you will go to jail for breaking your D.A.R.E. pledge the answer is no, but that doesn't mean having an 8 ball hidden in your glove box won't get you thrown in jail when they search your car.

Sec0nd

What do you guys expect? They were already going to make BF4 videos because that's what they do, make BF videos. They sure do say they enjoy the game but BF is actually a good and fun to play game. It's still broken you say? Yeah I know because I watch LevelCap, Frankie and Jack their videos and they acknowledge it in pretty much every video they make, just like they say they disagree with some of the core gameplay design. So they jumped on the train to get some extra money doing what they were already doing. Funny to see this 'outrage' as I know that every sane GAFfer would do the same in a heartbeat.

Dryk

You would think at this point people are smart enough to not follow anyone that gives you any kind of review or judgement about these thing or at the very least follow them with the consciousness that they are biased.
It's almost like they don't want to just blindly products when the makers of said product tell them too <strokes chin>

Nokterian

What do you guys expect? They were already going to make BF4 videos because that's what they do, make BF videos. They sure do say they enjoy the game but BF is actually a good and fun to play game. It's still broken you say? Yeah I know because I watch LevelCap, Frankie and Jack their videos and they acknowledge it in pretty much every video they make, just like they say they disagree with some of the core gameplay design. So they jumped on the train to get some extra money doing what they were already doing. Funny to see this 'outrage' as I know that every sane GAFfer would do the same in a heartbeat.

Did you even read before coming in to this thread? Or even read the post about the ftc guidelines posted by enanogrande? What there doing is illegal and it's a disgrace to lie to your audience before the game is released.

QaaQer

Link to the FTC Act

good post, nice to have you around. :)

Sec0nd

Did you even read before coming in to this thread? Or even read the post about the ftc guidelines posted by enanogrande? What there doing is illegal and it's a disgrace to lie to your audience before the game is released.

Doubt it would've crossed these YouTubers mind if a legitimate company like EA/YouTube/Machinima would approach them with an offer like this. And besides the fact that they don't enclose the fact that they are being paid I don't see them lying. They say they enjoy the game, they say they have some doubt if they like the game more than BF3, they say the game is broken, etc. etc. I'm just not bothered by it, that's all.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not bothered by the YouTubers taking part in these promotions. I know I would. I am in fact bothered by EA going around with these shady practises.

Top Bottom