• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Boogie (Wii)

Regardless of whether or not I ever actually play this game, I want it to do well for a couple of reasons, a couple of things it represents for Wii.

1) An original property by a major third party.
2) Something that, as its functionality and graphics illustrate, is developed from the ground up for the Wii.

These are good things; the Wii needs more things like this if it's to do well in the longrun. Godspeed, Boogie, you strange lovechild of EA, Singstar, DDR, and Tim Burton.

Never thought I'd type that last sentence.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Zoramon089 said:
Yeah but you ignore all the halloween Pikmin-esque characters that make it look awesome
Yeah, but I they don't even stand out. I hope we can change that monster in the spotlight.

ChaosDent

jj984jj said:
Yeah, but I they don't even stand out. I hope we can change that monster in the spotlight.

The press release seems to indicate that you can. While I am fond of all of the character designs, the more customization options, the better.

Players can also choose and customize different characters in the game to best show off their dancing style and karaoke skills.

The more I hear about this mic attachment, the more I wonder how it's going to work. These screenshots show the nunchuck so it's a pretty sure bet that the mic doesn't plug into the wiimote. I'm thinking it's going to be more along the lines of a bleutooth headset.

The limit on bluetooth is 7 devices though isn't it? I wouldn't think that Nintendo would cancel out the possibility of 4 player games with the mic, so where's it going to go?

Mar

Wow, the graphics don't look worse than PS2 like most other third party Wii games. It actually looks pretty good.

This game could be a megaton in Europe. EA are teh smarts.

Saint Gregory said:
The more I hear about this mic attachment, the more I wonder how it's going to work. These screenshots show the nunchuck so it's a pretty sure bet that the mic doesn't plug into the wiimote. I'm thinking it's going to be more along the lines of a bleutooth headset.

The limit on bluetooth is 7 devices though isn't it? I wouldn't think that Nintendo would cancel out the possibility of 4 player games with the mic, so where's it going to go?

If there -is- a microphone: maybe the microphone does plug into the wiimote, with an extra plug to hook up the nunchuck.
Alternatively, if there is a bluetooth headset, maybe the nunchuck connects to that, so you can try strangulating yourself to change your voice.

Neomoto

Kafel said:
What about that ?

If EA and Nintendo can work hand in hand to put this on the Connect24, it potentially can hurt Singstar.
That would be pretty awesome. They could add new stuff to the game throught Connect24 too (like items, characters or new songs or whatever).

Oh, and would it not be cool if the game would be renamed to Boogii? (what?! ;))

Saint Gregory said:

Maybe it's 2 players meaning 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks (doesn't matter for bluetooth) and 2 bluetooth headsets. I think putting 4 players on a stage all dancing and singing (somehow) would be quite a mess and you'll get interference with voices and that kind of things. So 2 players is a far better idea in a number of ways (assuming it is multiplayer wich I surely hope it is).

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The concept is great, popular and will be a thunder... but the art throws the casual appeal to the toilet. Really, generic boys and girls would do a hell lot better than this.

Game creators don't know a shit about how to develop videogames. This is incredible, what a ****ing pity I can't start my own ****ing company.

Hero

Huge potential here. I support EA in their original IP for the Wii.

Maybe the Mic plugs into the remote, but has a port to allow the nunchuck to plug into it as well?

Neomoto

Hero said:
Huge potential here. I support EA in their original IP for the Wii.

Maybe the Mic plugs into the remote, but has a port to allow the nunchuck to plug into it as well?
How can you play a game where you need three "controllers"? You need a controller and nunchuck either way, so the way I see it it'll be most likely a headset because you don't have any room for it on the controller and your hands to be anything else.

Nintendrones really should put up a website, organize and buy original games like these. Similar to what the Sony fans are doing with the Capcom boycott. Nintendrones are the most rabid species of fanboys and I'm surprised there is no SDF equivalent.

ivysaur12 said:
It reads the weather channel and the weather in your current location is the weather in the game.

Yeah, that's pretty sick for a launch title, especially on the Wii.
Jesus, that's actually really ****ing cool.

Thraktor

tanasten said:
The concept is great, popular and will be a thunder... but the art throws the casual appeal to the toilet. Really, generic boys and girls would do a hell lot better than this.

Very true. As much as I approve of the art style personally, the sales-age poster in me is wondering why EA threw away such a big opportunity.

Neomoto said:
How can you play a game where you need three "controllers"? You need a controller and nunchuck either way, so the way I see it it'll be most likely a headset because you don't have any room for it on the controller and your hands to be anything else.

Judging from the screenshots, the you move the nunchuck, not the Wiimote, to dance. Hence, it's entirely possible that the Wiimote itself is used as the microphone (ie it clips on the top). It's well worth noting that, odd as it may sound, people find karaoke much more fun with a microphone in hand than a headset on, which EA have probably noticed.

Tobor

It looks like Dancing and Karaoke are two seperate modes. And licensed music is confirmed, they had KC and the Sunshine band in the demo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tobor said:
It looks like Dancing and Karaoke are two seperate modes. And licensed music is confirmed, they had KC and the Sunshine band in the demo.

That would make sense..you use the wiimote and the nunchuck for the dancing..that would be pretty complicated to also throw in a mic.

Saoh

god, at least i hope you can send your own music videos 'thru WiiConnect24. start using the damned thing already!! my Wii Friends agenda is gathering dust.

Mudhoney

I'm still wondering when we will get a game that uses two Wii Remotes for one player (outside of Wii Music drums). Seems like this game would really benefit from that option since the nunchuk cord would probably restrict a dancing game. Or perhaps they don't expect you to do that large of motions, which would be a shame.

This game looks pretty cool, but I'm gonna wait to see how it plays. I'm a little confused how singing and dancing and watching a silly monster dancing on screen would be fun.

Art is very cool, I bet this game well be a big seller this holiday.

castle007

Banned
Saoh said:
god, at least i hope you can send your own music videos 'thru WiiConnect24. start using the damned thing already!! my Wii Friends agenda is gathering dust.

:lol :lol I love your avatar

castle007

Banned
Saoh said:

Mudhoney

Saoh said:
Get Elebits, and get some friends to buy it also. With a little time you can make some interesting and challenging levels. :)

Saoh

castle007 said:

I love this gen :D

Chris Remo said:
"Players will have access to a video editing tool, and will be able to share their creations with friends online"

you were told "planning" or confirmed? if confirmed...
thanks.jpg

So is this kind of like a massive upgrade of those Sega CD "Make Your Own Videos" games? I get the impression it's not a traditional rhythm game but more a of rhythm game that makes you stay on beat but allows your moves to be of a more freestyle nature. It sounds to be more focused on the creative process of making a video instead of strictly a rhythm game. Anyone who has played it, is this accurate or am I way off?

However it plays, I'm very interested.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wired All Wrong said:
So is this kind of like a massive upgrade of those Sega CD "Make Your Own Videos" games? I get the impression it's not a traditional rhythm game but more a of rhythm game that makes you stay on beat but allows your moves to be of a more freestyle nature. It sounds to be more focused on the creative process of making a video instead of strictly a rhythm game. Anyone who has played it, is this accurate or am I way off?

However it plays, I'm very interested.

That's the impression I get, and it has me very intrigued.

EA is really stepping up..

castle007

Banned
this game looks promising. I am surprised at how EA is treating game development on Wii. I am impressed by their efforts. Unlike Ubisoft

Tobor said:

So that's where the sun thing was coming from based on the rumours earlier.

justchris

While Guitar Hero, Ouendan and EBA have drastically changed my opinion on rhythm games, I'm going to need a lot more convincing on this. A lot.

The gamespot preview sheds light on some of the controls. This game sounds like it will be a lot of fun, and it lets the gamer add a lot of his own style to a song.

Top Bottom