• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces EA PLAY 2016 for June 12th-14th (EA's version of PSX)

Haines

Banned
Ok, e3 cant last much lomger with everyone wanting to do there own thing. More and more every year. So they get focus at a time slot when its not so crowded like e3

Snakeyes

I don't understand why EA needs a whole separate event for their games, couldn't they achieve the exact same thing with an Electronic Arts Direct?

JoseLopez

As long as DICE has the attitude that humor is the reason why BC wasn't as big as they feel it could've been, then they should just leave it alone. Don't fuck up what that series is by turning it into the bland world and characters they create with the mainline campaigns.
agreed I think dice LA definitely understands this but I don't think their making the next one so who knows since dice proper never acknowledges the bc games.

Chobel

Game Informer has received confirmation that this event completely replaces EA's E3 presence this year. There won't be an EA booth at E3.

IEWSnw9.png

https://twitter.com/Futterish/status/692383169287421952

Alright, that is fucking bold move.

Alright, that is fucking bold move.

Is it really?

I mean, ultimately E3 is a press-only event. EA being EA, journalist will still go to their event to cover their games and they have no choice if they're not at E3 itself.

It's not as if they're skipping a consumer show like Gamescom.

DKHF

Always forget about TOR. :p

And I have no expectation on Amy Hennig's Unstarwars to be revealed this year. Maybe a CGi trailer tops.

You're right about Criterion. Forgot about that too.
I fully expect it to be revealed at this E3. Even if it's just a CG trailer. Though I think they might have more to show than that after 2 years of development.

Zukkoyaki

I don't understand why EA needs a whole separate event for their games, couldn't they achieve the exact same thing with an Electronic Arts Direct?

Honestly, I think they're trying to win back some goodwill from the enthusiast crowd. Just look at the recent quotes saying stuff like, "We don't want to be the bad guy." Holding a huge public event where people can come have a good time and play EA's assortment of anticipating upcoming games, may be just what they need.

CryptiK

As long as DICE has the attitude that humor is the reason why BC wasn't as big as they feel it could've been, then they should just leave it alone. Don't fuck up what that series is by turning it into the bland world and characters they create with the mainline campaigns.
As long as DICE understands the game doesnt need a billion unbalanced gadgets and weapons then I'm happy.

DOWN

Banned
PSX proved there are not enough announcements for these single-publisher/platform events in addition to E3, TGS, and GamesCom. And PSX was for EVERYTHING coming to PS4. An event with only EA's upcoming titles is gonna be either a short presentation or a really dry one.

How many 2D indie games and the like were at PSX? Year one of PSX was decent but year 2 was so empty.

PSX proved there are not enough announcements for these single-publisher/platform events in addition to E3, TGS, and GamesCom. And PSX was for EVERYTHING coming to PS4. An event with only EA's upcoming titles is gonna be either a short presentation or a really dry one.

How many 2D indie games and the like were at PSX? Year one of PSX was decent but year 2 was so empty.

Sony spreads announcements across 4 events a year.

EA has only 2 events a year (E3 and Gamescom) and 90-100% of new announcements from EA are on the E3 stage. EA Gamescom is basically just a retread of E3, but with MOAR FIFA.

Also, EA is skipping E3 in favour of this. This is not like PSX where PSX is an additional event of its own. For EA, this replaces their E3 slot.

Nice. I'm always down for somme press conferences. Hope it's not to heavy on sports.
I hope the PK will be at an London time, not LA. I don't want to watch it in the middle of the night again.

kiguel182

Given their usual E3 presence I would say EA is the company that least needs an event dedicated just to them. Seems like the most boring thing possible.

JoseLopez

psx was fine and Bethesda conference was fine so meh. EA wants a place where their games are in the limelight while every other games isn't which makes sense. Either way this is good for most gamers since you don't have to go to e3 to see their games.

FelipeMGM

So, there is a slot free for press conferences on the 13th now. Wonder if some publisher will take it, maybe even Nintendo can comeback this year for a NX blowout

killroy87

For one of the biggest publishers in the world to basically say E3 isn't relevant anymore is pretty huge news. I say it's only a matter of time until Sony leaves E3 as well, and just puts all of the effort into PSX

I hope this means they have more big announcements than their normal E3 offering, which always seems to be Battlefield DLC followed by professional athletes talking about FIFA and Madden for an hour.

KRaZyAmmo

i hope they have actual games this time. I don't want a repeat of that year of e3 where they showed nothing but prototypes of games and sports.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they're putting this on, they might be going all out for Mass Effect: Andromeda. Maybe even a Titanfall 2 official announcement.

Both are officially releasing by March 2017, so they will assuredly be there along with Battlefield 5.

That list is so boring tbh I hope they atleast give some time to some smaller new projects.

The best chance is for Hazelight's game (by the Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons team), since that's supposed to be out in 2017, and if it's Early 2017, it will be shown here.

Nazo

Can't wait to be bored by an hour and a half of nothing but sports and military shooters!

In all seriousness I hope they actually have some cool new stuff to show off and that they learn to better pace their conferences. Because nobody wants to watch stuff like a really jarring and boring interview with Pele for like 15 minuets. I'd much rather instead they'd give a bigger focus on things other than their sports games and Battlefield (and mobile).

Kolx

It seems like they just want to have 2 days of hype only for themselves. At the end people will treat this as if it was an E3 conference that started 2 days earlier. Also having a show floor where you're the only one is a good thing as well.

Do whatever the hell you want EA but make sure mass effect is out this year and isn't rushed, I can't take another most anticipated game getting pushed back a year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems like they just want to have 2 days of hype only for themselves. At the end people will treat this as if it was an E3 conference that started 2 days earlier. Also having a show floor where you're the only one is a good thing as well.

Bethesda had a lot of success with a fan event on Sunday last year as well so it's not the worst idea.

Nibel

mjlol0csk5.png

This is huge news. E3 is the center of our gaming universe and not showing up for it means that you are on your way to irrevelancy. Bet Disney is biting their asses to give these clowns access to the Star Wars IP.

Mark my words, in a year or two EA is going third-party. Not having a E3 press conference is like not going to prom. There is no infrastructure that supports their two-location plans, like lmao.

Enjoy your last months as boss of EA, Peter Riccitello

Banned
Gimme dat Mass Effect.

mjlol0csk5.png

This is huge news. E3 is the center of our gaming universe and not showing up for it means that you are on your way to irrevelancy. Bet Disney is biting their asses to give these clowns access to the Star Wars IP.

Mark my words, in a year or two EA is going third-party. Not having a E3 press conference is like not going to prom. There is no infrastructure that supports their two-location plans, like lmao.

Enjoy your last months as boss of EA, Peter Riccitello
This post is gold if you get the meme.

Replace EA with Nintendo.

Is it really?

I mean, ultimately E3 is a press-only event. EA being EA, journalist will still go to their event to cover their games and they have no choice if they're not at E3 itself.

The thing is though, if E3 is really going to be "dead", then no way in hell can media (esp international) attend all of these individual events, spread over however many days/locations.

I will be really really disappointed of E3 dies a slow death like this. Sure the Polygons and IGNs of the world can cover all these SF/LA publisher-specific events in their back yard, but good luck to the rest of the world.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Think its pretty smart for EA to do this. Their events were always weird because half of their games were sports and the other half were aimed at folks those games weren't at. So it was impossible to really do a conference that could make everyone happy, people would be bored at best half of your entire presentation. Spreading it out over a few days allows you to basically split the event in half.

EA bailing out of E3 is quite surprising. I'm sure E3 will never die as other developers rely on it, but two back to back conferences is going to be quite hefty for the press.

exactly, thank you

press that's not based in the few major areas where these publisher-centric events take place will be completely left out. Nobody can afford to travel to LA/SF/Vegas multiple times a year for separate publisher events.

only way this could maybe work if the E3 becomes a "week of publisher showcases", holding their own venues/events but at least at the same time approximately.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As posted already, it seems this substitutes E3 for them, since there won't be E3 EA booths

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193457726#post193457726

Right, but I think the ESA is pretty much right here:

Reached for comment, a representative of the Entertainment Software Association, which stages E3, said:

EA's player experience underscores E3 as the global launchpad for video game news, announcements, and excitement. As always, we continue to look forward to their contributions to E3 week and can't wait to play the games ourselves.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/27/10842598/electronic-arts-e3-2016-booth-press-conference-ea-play

They're not in the E3 building, but it's still an E3 event because it's taking place at the same time and same location.

If this was being held a week before that would be a bit different.

Top Bottom