• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EA-Conf] SimCity E3 Gameplay Trailer

Love the Sim City games, bought every single one right back from the beginning with the original. I have to confess I loved the look of this new version but all that multiplayer BS (along with that Origin shite) puts me right off . So this will be the first Sim City I will never play.

Mike M

Nick N
Did they really just juxtapose a pentagonal structure with a jet screaming across the screen in the very next shot?

rififi

Some things I noticed:
-light rail confirmed (looks like it is combined with a single road option, replacing the median)
-zoning/lots fit to road curves and angles (ie lots of any size and shape)
-for some reason, even on straight roads, buildings aren't built wall to wall (that could probably be fixed with custom content though)

Region view looks kind of bland atm, but everything else looks good so far. I was hoping to see what rivers, lakes, and oceans look like (they didn't show any water in the trailers), but this was enough to be optimistic.

New screens are out....Somebody hold me... (Do they show up for you guys? Worried they don't. Uploading them elsewhere at the moment just in case. Check the link below for them regardless!)
http://www.thesimshub.com/2012/06/simcity-screenshots/
Multiplayer.png

HDSims.png

simcity_curvyroadsday.jpg

simcity_fightfires.jpg

simcity_industrialcity.jpg

simcity_prexclusive_cityhallday.jpg

simcity_prexclusive_heavytrafficnight.jpg

simcity_smeltingplant.jpg

StreetLevelChange.jpg

Tier2Stadium.png

New_Burger_Joint_version2_withpeople_AllCopy.jpg

CityHallProtest_1.png

HeavyTraffic_1.png

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Love the Sim City games, bought every single one right back from the beginning with the original. I have to confess I loved the look of this new version but all that multiplayer BS (along with that Origin shite) puts me right off . So this will be the first Sim City I will never play.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. We'll be sad together. :(

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Great trailer! I really like direction where this is going. Definitely one of my most anticipated titles.

Time to install Sim City 2000. :D

BUT WHAT IS IN THE LIMITED EDITION?!

From a factsheet:
LIMITED EDITION BONUS CONTENT
  • New Characters— Protector of SimCity™ MaxisMan vs. The Evil Dr. Vu and his henchman.
  • Crime Waves—The Evil Dr. Vu is loose and will create havoc in your city. Normal police have their hands full against this Super Villain. The Evil Dr. Vu will solicit Sims to become his henchmen and carry out his dastardly deeds.
  • Super Hero HQ – Place MaxisMan’s headquarters in your city to combat crime and keep your Sims safe. Upgrade with the Turbo Machine garage and The Reticulator landing pad.
  • Evil Villain Lair – Place Dr. Vu’s Lair in your city to unleash a crime wave.  As The Evil Dr. Vu commits more crimes, upgrade his lair with a special laboratory and a garage for the Evil VuMobile.

Meier

It looks amazing but I'm a little nervous about the fact that everything seems "ploppable." I hope with this new engine and style, they haven't removed the element of random growth from the game. It was always nice to have your multiple small houses eventually rebuild into a larger mansion or apartment complex, etc. Outside of the airport challenge at the end of the MP trailer, most everything just seemed to be done as is.

I'll probably get Sim City Social a shot. It's been tied with Civilization as my favorite PC series forever, can't see any reason why I wouldn't give it a shot. On the surface, it looks like classic Sim City and they're saying "less Ville" so hopefully I won't have to pester everyone to progress.

rififi

It looks amazing but I'm a little nervous about the fact that everything seems "ploppable." I hope with this new engine and style, they haven't removed the element of random growth from the game. It was always nice to have your multiple small houses eventually rebuild into a larger mansion or apartment complex, etc. Outside of the airport challenge at the end of the MP trailer, most everything just seemed to be done as is.

I actually got the exact opposite feeling as they showed residential zoning and a lot of buildings under construction (ploppables don't have the construction animations). Plus, zoning is the only way to build properly with curved roads.

A proper SimCity would be welcome, and from the little they showed it looks great. This and South Park are the only two games from the conferences that have me excited.

Meier

I actually got the exact opposite feeling as they showed residential zoning and a lot of buildings under construction (ploppables don't have the construction animations). Plus, zoning is the only way to build properly with curved roads.

Good call, I just watched the video again and I did see SOME zoning, but the trailer absolutely focuses on ploppable stuff. I guess we'll see!

So has this been confirmed to an Origin only title?

I don't think that needs "confirming" anymore. Basically any game coming from an EA owned studio will be infested with Origin. Now Maxis is owned by EA and they are the ones making the game so I can say with 100% certainty that Sim City 5 will require Origin.

rififi

UniversityCity_2.png

Apparently this is what a "University City" will look like, which is very different from the single ploppable in SC4. It could possibly be one University ploppable (the Rotunda), and the rest of the city models itself on that ploppable based on proximity. I think this is what is meant by cities with specific characteristics and functions.

Also, the SimCity website seems to have updated the "Game Overview" section with three spots still waiting to be updated (the French, German, and British set don't have anything on their pages yet, but will probably be updated at some point as the pages exist).

Some new info from those pages - the architecture of neighbourhoods will take on the style of landmarks you plop - ie if you plop the Eiffel Tower, the surrounding buildings will take on French architecture; Big Ben, British architecture; Brandenburg Gate, German architecture. Also remember these building sets (and things like German high speed rail, double decker buses, French police/fire skins) are only available in the Deluxe edition (origin and all this extra content that I have to pay for pisses me off, but I will just have to deal with it).

Some concept art of the region. Even though it is concept art, most of what is shown seems to be identical to what was seen in the trailer. So maybe this is some indication on bridges, power plants (note the size of the solar power plants), the construction technique of the highways over steep terrain, etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Have they said what kind of computers will be required to run this? It's a Maxis game, so I'd like to think it won't require much, and they'll definitely put out a Mac version, but the stuff I see on screen is looking incredibly detailed.

Biggzy

Have they said what kind of computers will be required to run this? It's a Maxis game, so I'd like to think it won't require much, and they'll definitely put out a Mac version, but the stuff I see on screen is looking incredibly detailed.

Well these are the minimum requirements:
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP/Vista/7
RAM:
2GB
Graphics Card:
ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better*
nVidia 7800 or better*
Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better*
Broadband Internet:
Minimum 256 kbps download, 64 kbps upload
*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

RooMHM

The models looks very good but I don't like their choice of using oversimplified textures. Makes it looks half-cartoony, half-bland... /:

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP/Vista/7
RAM:
2GB
Graphics Card:
nVidia 7800 or better*
Broadband Internet:

That's not bad at all. I imagine it'll scale up very high with effects though.

Giant Bomb posted an interview talking about Great Works and crime and whatnot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAKonk6jRp0&feature=g-all-u

gate777

100% Agreed.

Durante

It probably won't, but this made me smile. Anyone else remember Sim City 4 requirements at launch?

Processor:
Operating System:
Windows XP/Vista/7
RAM:
2GB
Graphics Card:
nVidia 7800 or better*
Broadband Internet:

Well according to that my laptop should be fine and then some, but I bet it'll look like crap.

SparkTR

The Giant Bomb talk got me really interested with this game despite my reservations about online-only. If they make it not Origin exclusive I'll give it a shot.

Darktails

So, I was just watching the 'Giant Bomb at E3 2012: Day 02' video and Brad mentioned that this game would make use of the editor from Spore. You can add stuff to buildings in order to affect their overall functionality. So awesome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The Giant Bomb talk got me really interested with this game despite my reservations about online-only. If they make it not Origin exclusive I'll give it a shot.

Honestly, if it plays well and isn't "dumbed down", meaning it plays like a true SimCity game and not a child friendly SimCity Lite version, then hell I'll install Origin for it. I love SimCity 4 but it hasn't aged well with regard to PC evolution. Even on my I5 it stutters and hiccups with large cities, and it really shouldn't.

Those pics look amazing. I just hope it plays well...

Top Bottom