• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

PBalfredo

Very glad to hear it. The online passes were a big hurdle to convincing friends to pick up ME3 so we could play multiplayer together.

RuGalz

Instead of requiring online pass, they will just actively shut the servers whenever a new version is released. LOL

Nibiru

Banned
Pretty amazing that they're doing this. Props to
EA for making a pro consumer move.

Is this a joke?

This was only done because it mustn't be selling. It has nothing to do with being nice guys. Also you can expect a new measure like always online drm to take it's place.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So does this mean if I pick up a used BF3 can I play it online now without a pass?

Well, you never really needed an online pass to play BF3 as far as I know. The code that came with the game was for extra DLC.

If we have learned anything from this gen, it is that there is always a catch. Hell, that is most of life.

But especially gaming nowadays.

HoodWinked

Wait, so has there been any comment on removing its requirment on games via patch?

patching would actually be alot more difficult, since it would mean going back into the game code and recompling and issuing a patch. its actually much easier to just make all the online passes free.

this has two benefits, when shits free its psychologically even more rewarding to procure a free online pass other than invisibly patching it in. also this will reduce on bandwidth because a patch is automatically downloaded while only the people that want the online pass will get the online pass.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Good, now get rid of Origin and never, ever use DRM that isn't Steam again.

Why steams needs competition. Competition is a good thing you don't want a monopoly.

Its not pro consumer to finally step up to the minimum expected standard.

Now for Sony to pull their finger out.

Minimum accepted standard. By that metric online activation for all software is minimum accepted standard. You console players have it easy. Take your victories.

Just to make sure everyone got it, crazy buttocks posted this a few pages back:

Q39iTo5.jpg

This guy has a pretty good track record, so make of that what you will...

Game Informer got in touch with Jeff Brown on it too:

"There's not much to say. The online pass came out in 2010. It was a way of packaging together a suite of post-launch content and services for people. There was also an element for people who bought the game game second sale. It never really caught on. People didn't like it. People told us that they didn't like it and you know, we went through a cycle and we're about to put out some new games and we just decided not to do that anymore. We're 100% committed to creating on-going content and services so the consumers get more value out of the game – you know games like Battlefield and FIFA where there's all sorts of new things that get added all the time – but the whole idea of packaging it up with an online pass, clearly it was not popular, so we listened to people and we stopped doing it."

Game Informer

I bet COD had something to do with it as well. Activision are smart not to implement an online pass with that franchise, and EA was forced to follow suit.

Eusis

If we have learned anything from this gen, it is that there is always a catch. Hell, that is most of life.

But especially gaming nowadays.
HOPEFULLY the catch is just that they can sell more DLC this way. More common sense "improving accessibility means more customers" thinking and less "quick, look for another way to screw them over!"

Though I guess it depends on the DLC and how the game handles finding matches. But better to be able to play some and see you like it than take a shot at $10 only to discover no one's playing anyway.

Brannon

If you're not taking this news with a big ocean of salt, then I have a bridge to sell you. I'll wait for the other shoe to drop before I even think about giving EA the benefit of a doubt.

If you're not taking this news with a big ocean of salt, then I have a bridge to sell you. I'll wait for the other shoe to drop before I even think about giving EA the benefit of a doubt.
Yeah really. How people are patting EA on the back without knowing the whole story is beyond me.

cjcool804

Banned
They have been experimenting with it for a while. Syndicate didn't need a pass at all. And SSX still let you play most of it's online for free.

Messi

PLAYER FEEDBACK?

AHAHAHAHA, oh my. This was because nobody was buying DLC. You need to get them interested in online and have as many people in the online community as possible for DLC to work, this has nothing to do with appeasing the fans.

The ultimate team sales figures in fifa beg to differ.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
EA has garnered so much ill will with me over the last decade that I instinctively feel like this is something bad even if it sounds good right now.

Like if I heard Hitler approved of marriage equality or some shit. I could never trust these motherfuckers (EA and Hitler).

Just to make sure everyone got it, crazy buttocks posted this a few pages back:

This guy has a pretty good track record, so make of that what you will...
So?Sims won't require online to play,online pass never means require online,how is that means anything?or you mean you have online to play multiplayer mode is a problem?

OryoN

Translation: We've found numerous ways to suck players who enjoy some of our better games. Now that we're making a ton renting servers, selling pay to win packs, and hoping to get knee deep in micro-transactions, we can give up on the "measly" online pass, especially if it means getting people off our a$$es a bit, lolol... *ahem*

Hmm.. Well it could be that they already know something about the new xbox (or PS4 I havent ruled that out entirely) ...

Or maybe they just realized DLC sales actually have the same effect? I mean AFAIK you cant buy a used game with DLC (unless is a GOTY edition) . However the DLC is just what is keeping the game fresh? If you get battlefield 3 why wouldnt you be interested in buying End Game as well and playing around with bikes? Specially since you got it cheaper?

Same thing with Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Call of Duty, etc, etc.

However, something tells me is not that.. and it has more to do with "always on"

Eusis

However, something tells me is not that.. and it has more to do with "always on"
Yeah, the DLC thing makes more sense to me from a consumer friendliness perspective, but if they're just going with an always online setup (Though wouldn't you need a pass anyway?) then I just have to hope it blows up catastrophically in everyone's faces.

web01

When people who buy a second hand game cant even get online to buy all those hundreds of dollars of micro transactions and DLC map packs then what is the fucking point?

Only cutting off potential customers.

Eusis

When people who buy a second hand game cant even get online to buy all those hundreds of dollars of micro transactions and DLC map packs then what is the fucking point?

Only cutting off potential customers.
Yeah, like I said it's a system that makes sense with either free ongoing support or at least everything's static, but with DLC and on Xbox the Live subscription it just doesn't make much sense. The chance at a guaranteed $10 for everyone second hand going online isn't worth it versus the potential to suck them in with DLC and keep others paying that would've otherwise bailed.

Meier

My tweet on the subject from a bit earlier tonight: "They're smart. They start the practice, profit, get everyone to hate it, then remove it and are heroes. Evil geniuses."

They probably determined it negatively affects used sales which then impacts possible DLC buys.

Top Bottom