• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Maxis Studio head Lucy Bradshaw comments on SimCity launch mess and online stuffs

Sojgat

To be fair, I believe Gabe has said multiple times that if for whatever reason Steam/Valve had to shutdown, they'd flip a switch and let you not require the online connection DRM.

This has always struck me as the biggest load of space magical bullshit ever.

Come to think of it, hasn't Polygon gotten the story first in several of these 'updates'?

Seems kind of weird, reminds me of the earlier 'internal memo'.

Not really surprised, given Polygon's hugely shifting score, that Maxis is reaching out to them. Still seems kind of like a weird spot for Polygon to be in.

I mean, there's giving information to the public, and then there's being an info dump for Maxis'/EA's apologetic soapbox. To be fair, I'm not quite sure where the line is in this instance.

It's not weird for Polygon, they get a wad of cash and the score goes back up, everyone is happy!

The fact that a publisher can even 'reach out' to a review outlet to 'manage' anything is sickening.

Kinyou

I would say you could probably 2-4 large cities and their regional interactive offline given a good processor.

They did try to make this scale as low as possible though, which is why there are comically small cities.

Putting the regional calculations on the server also means that the local unit doesn't have to do it (lower system requirements) while also acting as a DRM scheme.
I guess what a cool publisher would have done is to make this an optional feature for people with low PC specs

Reposted:

- imagine the simulations needed to run where indeed to much for a local cpu.
- imagine 100k playing simultaneously
- imagine the server farm needed to do what 100k desktop CPUs weren't capable of

This and the ability to play 30 minutes offline without problems whatsoever is why I call total and utter Bullshit at all of this cloud computing nonsense!
The 30 minute thing is probably the weirdest part. Why exactly 30 minutes? It can't actually simulate 30 minutes in advance because you can constantly change and modify your cities, right?

This is something that happens exclusively on gaming, and that speaks a lot for the consumer base. If we wouldn't bite into their stupid schemes they wouldn't be taking as many rights as they already have. Take Steam for example, how many people praise it yet they are perfectly fine with not owning their games (but let's not derail the conversation).
I guess I just don't care when I'm buying games for 80-90% off. But I guess I don't buy Steam games for any more than that so I'm probably the minority.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, I don't know how it would be possible to check the game's installation files and download patches if the whole service was shut down.

While I don't know the particulars of how Steam checks things client-side in response to a magical button, presumably, if steam shut down, you wouldn't ever be downloading or installing anything new.

What you had before the shutdown is probably what you are left with (along with being given some level of forewarning to download what you want). You could still make on-disk backups, but if the service is shut down, obviously you can't get new stuff from it. More limited than owning a physical copy, to be certain, but better than not having anything left at all.

But unless Valve tanks suddenly, I don't think we really have to worry about Steam in the same vein as stuff like Simcity's current woes.

Dizzy

Banned
Wow, all this drama is more fun than some people are currently having with the game. (I say that due to the issues, not the quality of the gameplay).

JABEE

Come to think of it, hasn't Polygon gotten the story first in several of these 'updates'?

Not really surprised, given Polygon's hugely shifting score, that Maxis is reaching out to them. Still seems kind of like a weird spot for Polygon to be in.

I mean, there's giving information to the public, and then there's being an info dump for Maxis'/EA's apologetic soapbox. To be fair, I'm not quite sure where the line is in this instance.
It's not really surprising at all. :(

Toppot

Industry people should be more transparent when talking about their own products/services. GlassBox was clearly an amateur at undercover posting, that EA culture.

sAWy0Sd.png

This deserves more love, should be DetectiveGAF's official logo.

If Steam shuts down you'd be fine presuming you have all your games downloaded (big if). Doesn't offline mode always work? I've never had a problem with it.

To me this is just another example for how clueless publishers are about who their customers are and what they want.

Given how every EA game has these problems, the BF series in particular, I'd call it simple good old fashioned greed. They simply don't want to pay for servers in advance.

Okay while we're making confessions, I should let you guys know that I've actually been marketing the Brisbane Broncos to you subliminally. Ban me gently.

If Steam shuts down you'd be fine presuming you have all your games downloaded (big if). Doesn't offline mode always work? I've never had a problem with it.

They'd still have to remove the DRM. I think you'd never be able to log out of Steam or your computer again otherwise.

It's funny, if I saw someone posting with the name "Hedgehog Engine" (in fact, there's someone here using the logo as an avatar), I would just presume it's the average crazed fan. It wouldn't cross my mind to think it was actually someone who at least worked at Sega, if not potentially worked on the engine itself.

It's funny, if I saw someone posting with the name "Hedgehog Engine" (in fact, there's someone here using the logo as an avatar), I would just presume it's the average crazed fan. It wouldn't cross my mind to think it was actually someone who at least worked at Sega, if not potentially worked on the engine itself.

now we will judge and keep tabs on everyone even more.

Kinyou

Given how every EA game has these problems, the BF series in particular, I'd call it simple good old fashioned greed. They simply don't want to pay for servers in advance.
I guess that's actually a possibility. Player numbers always take a hit after the launch. So it's probably cheaper to just keep your regular server number and wait for the launch week to blow over.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This thread also sours my opinion of Polygon. I know you're reading this post. Fuck you guys.

They'd still have to remove the DRM. I think you'd never be able to log out of Steam or your computer again otherwise.
Oh yeah. I haven't had to put in my password in forever. So when I've done offline mode with my Internet not working, it's just remembered that I was logged in before?

Detective Gaf is scary.. i wonder how much they could find out about me or any random member..

I think in that anonymous confession thread in off topic we had someone admit to being a viral marketer for DmC. Too bad we couldn't get a name.
I could believe that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh yeah. I haven't had to put in my password in forever. So when I've done offline mode with my Internet not working, it's just remembered that I was logged in before?

as long as you check 'stay logged in" or whatever, and put the client into offline mode, you can use all the games that you've already activated and run once.

It's a bit mind boggling that a company like EA Maxis, with all the resources they have at their disposal, messed up their stress-testing so badly.

VariantX

Damn @ GlassBox situation. Was wondering why he/she and one other person was working way too hard in defense of the game and the DRM solution provided by EA. Just pushed it out of my mind yesterday thinking, "no one could be that obvious with all those threads..."

Risible

Since we're mentioning Polygon, doesn't anyone else think it's pretty shitty that they've got this huge-ass giant fawning review and then at the very end they have a blurb to with the the now-low score they've given it? You could easily be forgiven for skimming through it a bit and thinking to yourself "Hmmm, this looks really good."

In their defense their review update link does go right to the newly modified score part, but I feel that should still be moved to the top of the review. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive about it, I don't know, so was curious what others thought.

starmud

protecting something you helped create is expected. would have been awesome to have them participate in the OT.

Geek

Ninny Prancer

In some cases, yes, we've been first to report on certain SimCity developments. Stories like that internal memo and the embarrassing online marketing withdrawal — I think — we posted before others.

Was that memo intentionally leaked? I don't know. Orchestrated "leaks" happen fairly often (like some recent "leaks" of prominent first-person shooters) in this industry and others, and Bradshaw's internal memo seems carefully groomed for positive internal and external reception. You'd have to expect at a massive company like EA, they'd count on communication like that escaping the company.

As for Maxis reaching out, we emailed them several requests for interviews with Maxis people. They responded late Friday evening giving us a short turnaround on an email interview. The goal in that interview was to get a better sense of what's happening at Maxis, why they won't offer an offline version of SimCity and how the launch was so incredibly fucked up.

I thought their communication — and complete absence of a human being saying "We're sorry" until that point — was incredibly poor. It seems like EA finally realized that, hence the last-minute availability for an interview paired with the post on EA's website last night.

deviljho

So Lucy just reponded to questions about refunds... no surprise here

SimCity ‏@simcity

Origin doesn't offer refunds on digital download games. (http://bit.ly/10nbXyP ). I hope we keep your business by making service great.

SimCity ‏@simcity

As I announced last night we're giving away a free game and are considering other ways to make it up to you.

SimCity ‏@simcity

You'll be getting more information on the March 18th. And you will have choices.

https://twitter.com/simcity/status/310485833700487169

Except that it's terrible customer service considering the circumstances, and is the thing that irks me the most. Instead of being flexible with their Origin DD policy, they want to shove it in your face and then offer you a free game in a few weeks from some unknown selection. If they can dig in with the damage control and spin for a week or so, they'll have fixed many of the problems. The magnitude of backlash and frustration will subside and they can sweep it under the rug.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Valve has time and time again shown they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

EA has done the exact opposite.

It's less about trusting Valve's word and more doubting the logistics of it. I don't think the Steam app would be capable of gutting DRM out of our games. If it were that easy I'd be content knowing I could do it myself someday.

Top Bottom