• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA PLAY 2017 playable game lineup announced, also Nas and more performing

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I should note that the Sims mobile game is a new title.

I'm not sure if anyone on GAF plays The Sims on mobile, but if you do, this is a new game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wasn't really worried until I saw this. Let's hope they did a good job of it, but being separate from everything else just brings back memories of the Wii U version.

The Wii U version was called like the others, though.

The different naming is strange, though, given this interview

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/503543/FIFA+on+Switch+will+be+FIFA+18,+possible+September+launch/

During a FIFA event held in Paris this weekend, Gamereactor was able to talk to EA's chief competition officer, Peter Moore, and ask his opinions on both Nintendo's console, and the FIFA game that's heading to Switch later this year.

"Well, as we have said, we are custom-building a FIFA version for the Nintendo Switch," Moore said of the game. "It will be FIFA 18, and it will obviously be later this year when FIFA 18 comes out."

Of course it was always going to be FIFA 18, but this is the first time that someone has confirmed as much, as well as suggesting a release window beyond simply "2017".

"And I look forward to seeing the Nintendo Switch," Moore went on, "we are not far away from its launch and in fact, here in Paris, I was very impressed to see FNAC stores with Nintendo Switch in the windows."

We also asked whether FIFA for Nintendo Switch would be a slimmed down version of the game we're getting on PS4 and Xbox One, closer to the old-gen versions still being made for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Moore answered: "What you have will be a custom built version for the Nintendo Switch from the FIFA development team in Vancouver."

ty_hot

FIFA not being the same version is ooooold news, we knew it from the very beginning.

For sure it will have a 1 joycon play style (which is welcome)... lets see how the 'normal' game plays (2 joycons or pro controller) and looks.

I just hope NBA 2k18 isnt like that, that they just downgrade the ps4 version and keep the gameplay and features. Cant be sure about it, though.

Raitaro

So the "I-named-my-son-Luigi-that's-how-much-I-love-Nintendo-so-expect-unprecedented-Switch-support" might still amount to the one measely game they mentioned already, now more or less officially unveiled as a potentially watered-down port of the full game at that? No Plants vs Zombies 2 port at the very least as well, or a port of the new Need for Speed "experience", or even a smaller EA Originals indie style game? Sigh...

You know what EA? Here's your new slogan: "It's in the bullshit".

EDarkness

FIFA not being the same version is ooooold news, we knew it from the very beginning.

For sure it will have a 1 joycon play style (which is welcome)... lets see how the 'normal' game plays (2 joycons or pro controller) and looks.

It's not old news, Peter Moore said it would be FIFA 18, but custom for the NS. The way this is branded is that it's a totally different game and not FIFA 18.

I always said that EA treated this FIFA on Switch weirdly and as a different product than traditional FIFA 18

Hope its good, but most likely wont

If I have to guess it's because the 'real' console Fifa is a service game and thus costs a lot for maintaining it and adding content (FUT).
The Switch version is probably a slimmed down version focused on local play.

EA just give us a feature parity version at a respectable resolution and frame rate and we will buy it.
Stop shitting on us over and over again EA.
At least Take Teo learned from the Wii U and are releasing a respectable version that is parity in terms of features with the others...
Only game I'm buying if his mess is what i think it is.

If I have to guess it's because the 'real' console Fifa is a service game and thus costs a lot for maintaining it and adding content (FUT).
If that's what we end up getting, they get grab the JoyCons and shove them up their asses. They are tiny, so it won't hurt much.

Mpl90

It's not old news, Peter Moore said it would be FIFA 18, but custom for the NS. The way this is branded is that it's a totally different game and not FIFA 18.

At this point, I wonder if it's as Peter Moore said, thus "FIFA 18, custom built by the Vancouver team", but they still decided to use a different name for it.

Please EA, don't screw this up, FIFA's potential on Switch is great, see how (apparently) seriously 2K is taking the platform for NBA 2K (the presence of the Limited Editions is a good sign) and try to give a respectful and good efforts, please.

spekkeh

Banned
The Wii U version was called like the others, though.

The different naming is strange, though, given this interview

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/503543/FIFA+on+Switch+will+be+FIFA+18,+possible+September+launch/
I'm going to assume it doesn't have a number so that next year nobody can complain about where the hell FIFA 19 is. FIFA for Switch ® will be based on FIFA 18, because that's the most recent license they're working with, and people will have to make do with that token game for the remainder of the Switch life (unless it sells really well, then we'll get a FIFA for Switch ® 2 somewhere down the line).

conpfreak

Yeah, EA as a company is really unhealthy for the console gaming industry. They have a stronghold on sports titles, all of which are underwhelming and years behind where they should been. Then, they have such a bad relationship with Nintendo that they are still determined to release a half baked port on a system that's well on it's way to be a main pillar on the market in the west and can absolutely handle whatever they are currently doing with their current gen versions of Madden, NBA Live, etc. And then there's Mass Effect Andromeda. And killing off EA BIG.

Anyway, hopefully Madden on Frostbite improves the game and FIFA is at least a half decent port, but I have doubts.

Anyway with the conference they are probably gonna tease us with behind the scenes shit and just shove the usual down our throat.
Why can't these leagues sign deals with other publishers to make EA sports try more?

EDarkness

At this point, I wonder if it's as Peter Moore said, thus "FIFA 18, custom built by the Vancouver team", but they still decided to use a different name for it.

Please EA, don't screw this up, FIFA's potential on Switch is great, see how (apparently) seriously 2K is taking the platform for NBA 2K (the presence of the Limited Editions is a good sign) and try to give a respectful and good efforts, please.

It may well be, but why throw doubt onto that version of the game with the renaming? It didn't work for the Wii version of their sports games, and I wonder if it'll work for this one. If gives the impression that it's something different and lesser to the main versions and that's not a good way to start if they actually want to sell that game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
EA just give us a feature parity version at a respectable resolution and frame rate and we will buy it.
Stop shitting on us over and over again EA.
At least Take Teo learned from the Wii U and are releasing a respectable version that is parity in terms of features with the others...
Only game I'm buying if his mess is what i think it is.

The issue is....i dont think EA wants Fifa on Switch, or well the Switch in general to do too well. If Fifa sells well on the system they would have to answer more questions about upcoming support...or hell even invest more in the Switch Fifa 19 outside of a roster update.

I feel their plan from begin was to WiiU the system....dump the game and be done with Nintendo for another 4-5 years. Sucks for them that Switch is quite the success so far and could tap into that mainstream market that will make games like Fifa, CoD and Skyrim sell just based on the popularity of the device. Wonder when and how they will adapt if it sells well.

Id they dont offer Ultimate on Fifa Switch...well, tells you all you need to know.

Rncewind

wow the fifa switch thing doesnt even sound attractive

and whats up with nfs "experince", is this a thing now? calling games experince?

The issue is....i dont think EA wants Fifa on Switch, or well the Switch in general to do too well. If Fifa sells well on the system they would have to answer more questions about upcoming support...or hell even invest more in the Switch Fifa 19 outside of a roster update.

I feel their plan from begin was to WiiU the system....dump the game and be done with Nintendo for another 4-5 years. Sucks for them that Switch is quite the success so far and could tap into that mainstream market that will make games like Fifa, CoD and Skyrim sell just based on the popularity of the device. Wonder when and how they will adapt if it sells well.

Id they dont offer Ultimate on Fifa Switch...well, tells you all you need to know.
They will see with Skyrim and NBA 2k18.

EDarkness

I got the same impression. They don't want to deal with Nintendo or the NS, so they're throwing in some token support and that'll be the end of it. I think I liked EA better back in the day when they at least tried to support more platforms and genres. I hope NBA 2k18 takes off.

Mpl90

It may well be, but why throw doubt onto that version of the game with the renaming? It didn't work for the Wii version of their sports games, and I wonder if it'll work for this one. If gives the impression that it's something different and lesser to the main versions and that's not a good way to start if they actually want to sell that game.

Certainly, they should avoid the All Play approach. For those who are not aware: in 2007, EA released several sport games on Wii, that had the same branding as the other console's versions. Sales-wise, we know that Madden's start was slow (first month sales were 1/3 of the PS3 version) but it had good legs, so much that at the end of 2007 it wasn't that far from the PS3 version. Still, EA tried to give more reasons for customers to choose Wii's versions of their games...but, to make them more appealing, they decided to casualize their appearance and features (or better, to make the more casual features and options more prominent than the classic ones). The problem is that the way they've chosen made them less attractive as a result

ea-all-play-wii-logo.jpg

Thus, less sales and the sport genre having even bigger difficulties at establishing on the Wii (the sports audience is one of those that were less active on the platform even in its outstanding early years).

Now, one could even argue that it's a positive that the Switch version is getting a separate highlight, in the sense that it could mean EA wants to show how they care about it and not throw it under the bus by showing the PS4/Xbox One versions only, and we already know it's "custom made for Switch"...on the other though, the apparent different naming brings back to mind what happened with the All Play series and, personally, I just hope it's a good version of FIFA with good features and look, no unattractive casualisation.

SRTtoZ

I mean I understood when they had to put watered down sports games on the Vita or 3DS but the Switch? The whole point of the Switch is to be able to play these home console games on the go, not some cheap shitty mobile version. Cmon now.

Rncewind

I got the same impression. They don't want to deal with Nintendo or the NS, so they're throwing in some token support and that'll be the end of it. I think I liked EA better back in the day when they at least tried to support more platforms and genres. I hope NBA 2k18 takes off.

is there like any closely reason at all that this is not a tinfoil hat theory? You know that EA is not oblieged to "throw some token support" right? They are independent company, they can do what the fuck they want. Is there any remotely financially feasible reason why would they invest money in the port of game with the intend to sell as few as possible?

I assure you EA doesnt need a reason to do any thing that is suggested. EA dont need to show "token support" which is designed to be bad to jusftiy them before neogaf, the only audience that analyse third party relationship of gaming companies

Certainly, they should avoid the All Play approach. For those who are not aware: in 2007, EA released several sport games on Wii, that had the same branding as the other console's versions. Sales-wise, we know that Madden's start was slow (first month sales were 1/3 of the PS3 version) but it had good legs, so much that at the end of 2007 it wasn't that far from the PS3 version. Still, EA tried to give more reasons for customers to choose Wii's versions of their games...but, to make them more appealing, they decided to casualize their appearance and features (or better, to make the more casual features and options more prominent than the classic ones). The problem is that the way they've chosen made them less attractive as a result

ea-all-play-wii-logo.jpg

Thus, less sales and the sport genre having even bigger difficulties at establishing on the Wii (the sports audience is one of those that were less active on the platform even in its outstanding early years).

Now, one could even argue that it's a positive that the Switch version is getting a separate highlight, in the sense that it could mean EA wants to show how they care about it and not throw it under the bus by showing the PS4/Xbox One versions only, and we already know it's "custom made for Switch"...on the other though, the apparent different naming brings back to mind what happened with the All Play series and, personally, I just hope it's a good version of FIFA with good features and look, no unattractive casualisation.

thats a far smarter and realistic post. I think the core of the issue is that EA has a wrong idea when it comes to Nintendo Hardware and target audience

EDarkness

is there like any closely reason at all that this is not a tinfoil hat theory? You know that EA is not oblieged to "throw some token support" right? They are independent company, they can do what the fuck they want. Is there any remotely financially feasible reason why would they invest money in the port of game with the intend to sell as few as possible?

I assure you EA doesnt need a reason to do any thing that is suggested. EA dont need to show "token support" which is designed to be bad to jusftiy them before neogaf, the only audience that analyse third party relationship of gaming companies

There are contracts and shareholders that they have to deal with. We don't know what the FIFA contract says specifically, but if I remember correctly they have to put the game on "viable" systems. The quality of that game doesn't matter that much. Just check out the crappy Wii versions of FIFA which were just the previous version with roster changes. So they put a crappy version of FIFA on the NS because they may be contractually obligated to do so (same with the Wii U), but if the system doesn't go anywhere they don't have to do more than that. Token support to fulfill a contractual obligation and that's it. We also don't know what kind of agreement they have with Nintendo, so there's that, too. Still, this could easily be a throw away game.

You're right, though. They don't have to bring any other games over...and they aren't. Heh, heh.

Danneee

I'm guessing just naming it FIFA is just EA making sure the game gets some legs if they choose to not release another one on the console.
Because who buys yesteryears sports games. Not obvious old game = sell more!

Rncewind

There are contracts and shareholders that they have to deal with. We don't know what the FIFA contract says specifically, but if I remember correctly they have to put the game on "viable" systems.

I likely would see that because that sound ridiculous to me. Alone the definition and that something would actually be written down. Also a contract between who? EA and the shareholders? How does this work.

Also Shareholder cant demand such thing on a whim. To a certain extent, yes, but its the company decision to a certain extent to go through with it. Nintendo Shareholders were demanding mobile games WAY before nintendo go through with it.
Also im having a hard time to believe that EA shareholders demand one fifa switch game.

So they put a crappy version of FIFA on the NS because they may be contractually obligated to do so (same with the Wii U), but if the system doesn't go anywhere they don't have to do more than that. Token support to fulfill a contractual obligation and that's it. We also don't know what kind of agreement they have with Nintendo, so there's that, too. Still, this could easily be a throw away game.

The reason why EA put this game the way they do is because they think that is the most effective way to make profit. I mean EA was by FAR not the only one to put a sub paar version of their game on the wii, because porting the game 1:1 only with graphic downgrades would be too much of a hassle. About wiiu i dont know.

But lets ignore that for this.

So you saying the following: EA putting since more then 10 years games on Nintendos Console because they are oblidged to it by a contract with Nintendo. But they putting purposely bad games, because nintendo is not cool or whatever.

And Nintendo makes this contract every generation and invite them to presentations.

I dont know in this high unbelievable scenario Nintendo seems to deserve it lol

i mean dont get me wrong i am agreeing that its a shit port probally and they could better but i have a hard time to belive this master mind EA theory that some people here cooking (not specifically you) when there are far more obvious reasons

FelipeMGM

thats a great point

It would be a good reason to justify why EA doesnt seem to care much too, since FUT is huge revenue for them

spekkeh

Banned
I likely would see that because that sound ridiculous to me. Alone the definition and that something would actually be written down. Also a contract between who? EA and the shareholders? How does this work.
EA and FIFA of course.
FIFA is not licensing their brand for EA to do as they will, they're licensing it for exposure. So they'll want EA to put it on as many systems as possible.

opricnik

Banned
you guys should open a new thread for switch stuff instead of derailing thread with it.

also no new sims game is disappointing

When they say Experience, they better not freaking mean one of those dumb as heck trailers that just shows them talking about how cool this game will be and just show people drawing stuff and laughing.

I want footage of the game in it's entirety. Not a person in a screen telling me to be excited.
EA SPORTS™ FIFA on the Nintendo Switch

Now, what does this remind me of?

51G2UTXF99L._SX342_.jpg

Ohhhh nooooooo
But that guy's son is named Luigi! It's a sign!

Rncewind

EA and FIFA of course.
FIFA is not licensing their brand for EA to do as they will, they're licensing it for exposure. So they'll want EA to put it on as many systems as possible.

Yeah but they pay for the licence and im pretty sure they are also libertys with it. Also, if this is the case, for there must be a paragraph like having XY % Market volume and not "its relevant". If this would be the case EA can not choose to make no games for it after it underperforms.

Also this narrative does not really work, did they also not release mass effect 3 for wii u, which license holder enforced this?

CronoShot

I think that "All-Play" type shit is the best we can even hope for.

It's just gonna be Fifa for 360 with a roster update and some Switch-centric gimmicks.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah but they pay for the licence and im pretty sure they are also libertys with it. Also, if this is the case, for there must be a paragraph like having XY % Market volume and not "its relevant". If this would be the case EA can not choose to make no games for it after it underperforms.

Also this narrative does not really work, did they also not release mass effect 3 for wii u, which license holder enforced this?
None of course, but that's not an argument. They're definitely not releasing ME:A on Switch after all. ME3 was EA renaming all their studios to Bioware because they thought it was the biggest AAA series they had. FIFA conversely is much bigger than EA and is also like half of EA's income. FIFA can definitely make EA do whatever the fuck they want as part of the license agreement, and it's consistent with their half hearted support on numerous systems. The rumor that EA has to bring FIFA to everything as part of the license agreement at least is much older than the Switch.

Top Bottom