• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Guide to Making Animated GIFS. (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Translator

Neo Member
My preferred way of capturing video for GIF-making is using PotPlayer. (It's also my preferred video player.)

PotPlayer's capture menu looks like this (click here). Here you can capture individual frames or just capture the video.

This (click here) is the video capture menu. These settings work for me for when I later import into Photoshop.

This (click here) is where you click to import a video into Photoshop as frames (mp4 and avi should work). After importing you can add text or whatever which is easiest to do after you've switched into time line view. If you don't you have to work frame by frame.

So to save the GIF you go to File -> Save for Web. Play around with the settings there until your GIF isn't 20MB. You'll probably want to resize the image before trying Save for Web, it might save Photoshop from crashing if the file is too big.

So to recap:
1) Get PotPlayer.
2) Use PotPlayer to either capture frames or video.
3.1) If you have Photoshop you can import the video into a frame animation (or just import the frames into layers and find make frame animation somewhere).
3.2) If you don't have Photoshop you can use something else (which might only work with frames).
4) Save GIF after making sure it's not huge.
5) Upload and use as reaction GIF instead of writing proper posts.

stephenfry01cbqtb.gif

Tokubetsu

My preferred way of capturing video for GIF-making is using PotPlayer. (It's also my preferred video player.)

PotPlayer's capture menu looks like this (click here). Here you can capture individual frames or just capture the video.

This (click here) is the video capture menu. These settings work for me for when I later import into Photoshop.

This (click here) is where you click to import a video into Photoshop as frames (mp4 and avi should work). After importing you can add text or whatever which is easiest to do after you've switched into time line view. If you don't you have to work frame by frame.

So to save the GIF you go to File -> Save for Web. Play around with the settings there until your GIF isn't 20MB. You'll probably want to resize the image before trying Save for Web, it might save Photoshop from crashing if the file is too big.

So to recap:
1) Get PotPlayer.
2) Use PotPlayer to either capture frames or video.
3.1) If you have Photoshop you can import the video into a frame animation (or just import the frames into layers and find make frame animation somewhere).
3.2) If you don't have Photoshop you can use something else (which might only work with frames).
4) Save GIF after making sure it's not huge.
5) Upload and use as reaction GIF instead of writing proper posts.

stephenfry01cbqtb.gif

Potplayer is my favorite video player as well but I don't think I've ever got the capture feature to work right. Will give it another shot tonight.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have kind of a frustrating gif issue and I'm hoping someone here can help me with it. VirtualDubMod apparently can't handle hi10p encodes and I get a gray screen instead of the actual video whenever I try to open a hi10p encode in the program. Google lead me to ffmpegsource which apparently enables VDM compatibility with hi10p, but even when I put it in the folder with the rest of my AviSynth templates it's never recognized by VirtualDubMod no matter what I do--other ones that I've manually installed like DirectShowSource are always recognized, but never ffmpegsource.

Basically I'm kind of stumped, so what could the problem be? And is there another program that handles hi10p that I could just completely abandon VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod for if I still can't get ffmpegsource to work? The majority of the files I gif are in hi10p these days so it's becoming a nuisance. It looks like I can just use mkvextract to get the .h264 file but whenever I do that it's a loooooong process.

edit: I managed to get the plugins to appear in virtualdubmod by manually creating a .avst file in VirtualDubMod's templates folder, but I'm getting various errors when trying to open my videos now. I'll update again if I make any progress.

Enco

I have kind of a frustrating gif issue and I'm hoping someone here can help me with it. VirtualDubMod apparently can't handle hi10p encodes and I get a gray screen instead of the actual video whenever I try to open a hi10p encode in the program. Google lead me to ffmpegsource which apparently enables VDM compatibility with hi10p, but even when I put it in the folder with the rest of my AviSynth templates it's never recognized by VirtualDubMod no matter what I do--other ones that I've manually installed like DirectShowSource are always recognized, but never ffmpegsource.

Basically I'm kind of stumped, so what could the problem be? And is there another program that handles hi10p that I could just completely abandon VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod for if I still can't get ffmpegsource to work? The majority of the files I gif are in hi10p these days so it's becoming a nuisance. It looks like I can just use mkvextract to get the .h264 file but whenever I do that it's a loooooong process.
I prefer this GIF tutorial from another GAF thread.

Works a lot better than the OP options and is completely free.

wwlnd

Banned

edit: I managed to get the plugins to appear in virtualdubmod by manually creating a .avst file in VirtualDubMod's templates folder, but I'm getting various errors when trying to open my videos now. I'll update again if I make any progress.
How exactly are you using ffms2 with vdub(mod)? I use ffms2 to load hi10p all the time and never have had any problems.

Pachimari

Okay, first and foremost. I know this is an incredibly old thread from 2012, but I couldn't find any more saying thread, and I didn't want to create a whole new thread just for my one single question. I really want to learn, how to do great gif's, so I followed the method from the OP:

My method when watching a stream/live event, however you need Adobe software and Fraps.

1. Record using fraps while watching stream.
2. Convert to mp4 using a video converter.
3. Open Photoshop, import frames to layers. Select frames.
4. File - Save for web - Select settings, colours, dither etc.
5. Save as gif.

Usually upload to abload.de or minus.com

I'm at step 4, as I must be doing something wrong. I gif looks fine in Photoshop CC, but why does the quality turn out like this when I save it as a gif?

szU6Y8U.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Okay, first and foremost. I know this is an incredibly old thread from 2012, but I couldn't find any more saying thread, and I didn't want to create a whole new thread just for my one single question. I really want to learn, how to do great gif's, so I followed the method from the OP:

I'm at step 4, as I must be doing something wrong. I gif looks fine in Photoshop CC, but why does the quality turn out like this when I save it as a gif?

szU6Y8U.gif

When in photoshop, while editing you have the luxury of seeing millions of colours but when it comes to saving you'll be restricted to a maximum limit of 256 colours. That's the main reason for the downgrade.

Also you seem to be using a low dither hence the solid splotches on the field. I suggest increasing dither or choosing a different method like pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom