• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ecuador 'very concerned about Julian Assange's health'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GManDH

he leaked out information and now he becomes a celebrity whose health is more important than feeding the hungry??

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The right does not have a monopoly on paranoia, as the conspiratorial fantasies of supporters of Julian Assange show. Glenn Greenwald, Glenn Beck's namesake and mirror image on the American left, made it embarrassingly obvious in the Guardian last week that a paranoid "leftist" defence of an alleged rapist was the order of the day. Greenwald argued that Assange was not a coward who dare not face his Swedish accusers but a true dissident, who was camping out in the Ecuadorean embassy because he had a genuine fear of persecution. America "would be able to coerce Sweden into handing him over far more easily than if he were in Britain", he explained.

It was a small country "generally more susceptible to American pressure and bullying". The poor man did not know that Britain has a notoriously lax extradition treaty with the United States, which the liberal-minded have condemned for almost a decade...

More pertinently, Greenwald and the rest of Assange's supporters do not tell us how the Americans could prosecute the incontinent leaker. American democracy is guilty of many crimes and corruptions. But the First Amendment to the US constitution is the finest defence of freedom of speech yet written...

Reasonable doubt cannot stay the tongues of Ken Loach, Tariq Ali, Jemima Khan, Naomi Wolf, John Pilger and their comrades. They lament western wickedness with the reliability of professional mourners. For them, America is a demonic empire with supernatural power and reach. The constraints that bind ordinary nations cannot contain it. I refuse to call their conspiracy theories "leftwing," and not only because most of the British liberal left behaved honourably during the WikiLeaks affair.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/24/nick-cohen-julian-assange-paranoia

leadbelly

Banned
Not exactly. The term used on the European Arrest Warrant was "Director of Public Prosecution Marianne Ny", which the defense argued against and claimed that there was no such office(further, in the Supreme Court decision she is referred to as "a Director of Public Prosecution", not the). This was an attempt to nullify the warrant as having not been issued by the proper authority. The judge concluded that her title was a matter of Swedish law and the fact remained she was a prosecutor as designated by the Swedish Prosecution Authority and therefore had the authority to sign the warrant.

I'm not sure what you're really getting at here. Her title, I think, is chief prosecutor. Eva Finné is also a chief prosecutor, just from a different city. The prosecutor general, as he is called in Sweden, is Mr. Anders Perklev. Whether she really had the authority to issue the EAW, I don't know though.

I'll just add: The 'Prosecutor General' is supposedly the equivalent to the 'Director of Public Prosecution' in Sweden.

YourMaster

I don't see how the mere act of extraditing Assange to Sweden to stand trial will make him or Wikileaks any more vulnerable to US jurisdiction. In fact, it makes him even more secure in Europe since any extradition request from the US will then have to be approved by UK, Swedish, and possibly European courts. The rape charges and European arrest warrant just add another layer of complexity to the process of any possible extradition to the US. In short, if the US wanted him, the rape charges are far from ideal from a legal perpective, although they are damaging his reputation.

As I said above, the rape charges do not aid the US in any possible attempts to extradite him, but they do damage his reputation. It just seems an incredibly convoluted way just to simply damage his reputation, and given the lack of evidence of any US involvement in the rape charges, I simply don't believe that they are involved. Of course it's possible, but improbable. Much in the same way that I'm an atheist. There could be a God, but the lack of evidence and other factors lead me to believe that there isn't.

And this is where we fundamentally disagree. Julian Assange has been charged with rape/molestation. Wikileaks is not on trial. And I have already dispelled the idea that the US is involved in the rape/molestation charges. Of course it's possible, but there is no evidence for it and I find it highly unlikely. Given the highly unlikely nature of US involvement, there is no reason to stop the extradition from the UK to Sweden, and the trial itself. If you could offer information that would suggest that US authorities have been involved the decision to charge Assange, or that the complainants have been unduly influenced, then you might have a point. Legal proceedings cannot be stopped based on conspiracies.

But there is no evidence the US is involved. Simply saying they "might" be is not enough to change anything. And as I've already said, these rape allegations will damage Assange's reputation, but they add a layer of complexity to a potential extradition to the US. And it's an incredibly convoluted way of damaging his reputation.

But this isn't reason enough to halt legal proceedings. You freely admit that you do not know if the US is involved in fabricating these charges, merely that it's possible. This is not a reason to stop legal proceedings.

If only we could have a trial to find out.

I do freely admit there is no evidence of US involvement. And I agree with every judge who - based on the evidence at hand - determines he should be extradited to Sweden. Conspicuous circumstances are never a reason to evade the legal system.
As for US involvement, there's only motive and opportunity, but no evidence of a crime. Worth looking into, but that's about it.

I do think it goes to far to say it's ludicrous to say there could be more to this story, and that anybody who says otherwise is a nut-job (basically the first post I responded to).

Furthermore, the circumstances of the molestation charges where really fishy to me, early reports really seemed to hint of external pressure on the involved parties. This is no proof of a conspiracy, but makes it a lot more probable then the existence God.

If do not believe this would help the US get Assange extradited.

Not sure if it's worth a new thread, but...

Sweden can interrogate Assange: Ecuador

October 27, 2012 6:02AM

SWEDEN can send a prosecutor to Ecuador's embassy in Britain to interrogate WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, the South American country's president says.

"This problem has a simple solution ... We propose that a Swedish prosecutor come to interrogate him at Ecuador's embassy in London," Rafael Correa said in an interview with Chilean radio station Cooperativa on Friday.

"It's perfectly legal."

Correa, on a visit to Chile, added that precedents for such a move exist, noting that "this happened on other occasions."

Assange sought asylum at Ecuador's embassy in the British capital in mid June in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces questioning over alleged rape and sexual assault.

Quito gave the 41-year-old Australian asylum in August but Britain has refused to grant him safe passage out of the country, and he remains holed up in the embassy, placing Ecuador in a diplomatic stalemate with Britain.

Assange denies the allegations against him, and claims he could eventually be extradited by Sweden to the United States for prosecution over the WikiLeaks website's publication of hundreds of thousands of classified US documents.

If Stockholm does not want to send a prosecutor to London, it should provide Assange with a guarantee that he will not be extradited to a third country, Correa said in the same interview.

On Wednesday, Ecuador's Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino told reporters he had requested a meeting with Britain to discuss Assange's worsening health, who Quito claims is losing weight and suffering vision problems.

Assange said in an interview published September 30 that his health was "slowly deteriorating" in the embassy, adding that he had "a racking cough".
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-assange-ecuador/story-fn3dxix6-1226504325645

KHarvey16

jorma

is now taking requests
Sweden does not want to simply interrogate Assange. An arrest warrant in Europe cannot be issued if the only reason for extradition given is questioning. This was the issue put in front of the UK courts and they ruled, more than once, that Assange was not wanted merely for questioning but for prosecution.

No, sorry. It would be completly legit. It's perfectly precedented in Swedish law. He can be interviewed on the embassy. That would move the investigation forward, because after that the prosecutor would have to decide whether she wanted to proceed with the case. Prosecution is far from given at this stage.

KHarvey16

No, sorry. It would be completly legit. It's perfectly precedented in Swedish law. He can be interviewed on the embassy. That would move the investigation forward, because after that the prosecutor would have to decide whether she wanted to proceed with the case. Prosecution is far from given at this stage.

A European arrest warrant cannot be issued just for the purpose of answering questions. You are wrong.

Julian Assange May Leave Embassy If U.S. Ends 'Immoral' WikiLeaks Probe
4:55 AM PDT 10/26/2012 by Georg Szalai

CNN interviewed the founder of the controversial organization at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where he has been holed up since June.

LONDON - WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange signaled in an interview with CNN that he would consider leaving the embassy of Ecuador here if the U.S. government dropped what he called its "immoral" investigation into his controversial organization.
our editor recommends
Fashion Designer Vivienne Westwood Visits WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange
Lady Gaga Visits Julian Assange at Ecuadorian Embassy
Michael Moore, Ken Loach, Others Lose Julian Assange Bail Money

Assange went into hiding at the embassy in June to avoid extradition to Sweden where he would face sexual assault allegations. His supporters have said Sweden could then send him to the U.S. where he could be questioned about WikiLeaks' publication of classified diplomatic information.

In the CNN interview recorded at the embassy, Assange commented on the U.S. probes into WikiLeaks.

"It's an immoral investigation," he said. "It breaches the first amendment, it breaches all the principles that the U.S. government says it stands for and it absolutely breaches the principles the founding fathers stood for and which most of the U.S. people believe in."

Assange also compared his time in the embassy to "living on a space station."

"There's no natural light," he said. "You have got to make all your own stuff. You can't go out to the shops."

Earlier in the week, fashion designer Vivienne Westwood visited Assange at the embassy. (link) And about two weeks ago, he had dinner with Lady Gaga there.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/julian-assange-cnn-interview-leave-embassy-usa-immoral-400172

Assange: How notoriety has changed a trapped man
By Atika Shubert, CNN
October 27, 2012 -- Updated 1002 GMT (1802 HKT)

Assange living in a 'space station'

London (CNN) -- The last time I sat down to interview Julian Assange more than a year ago, he walked out on me, angered by questions about the allegations of sexual assault in Sweden.

This time, holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, he had nowhere to go when asked the same question.

Assange has taken refuge in the embassy for five months now, refusing to submit to questioning in Sweden over those allegations. He denies doing anything wrong, and says the allegations are a ruse to get him to Sweden, which would then, he claims, extradite him to the United States.

"Look ... there's an attempt to extradite me without charge, without evidence allegedly for questioning."

Ecuador has granted the WikiLeaks founder asylum but the British government insists it is duty-bound to extradite Assange to Sweden.

As a result, the Ecuadorian Embassy is now Assange's home. If he steps outside, British police are standing by to arrest and extradite him.

But when I met him again, Assange did not seem cornered at all. He was relaxed and friendly. Rumors of ill health, that he had lost a lot of weight, did not appear to be true.

He seemed at ease and, despite being confined largely to a small room in this tiny embassy, comfortable. And as if to prove there were no hard feelings, I received a warm kiss on the cheek.

Embassy life like 'a space station,' Assange says

Earlier this week I received a call out of the blue: Would you like to come and interview Julian tomorrow?

I was surprised, of course, but there was a good reason for it: WikiLeaks is in the process of releasing the "Detainee Files," more than 100 documents from the U.S. Department of Defense outlining the policies and procedures for such infamous prisons as Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo but others as well.

So, the short answer to that question was: Yes. The reunion took place on Thursday morning.

I've been following the story of WikiLeaks and Assange for sometime now, before they made global headlines with the Afghan War Diary, the Iraq War Files and the massive leak of more than 250,000 diplomatic cables from the U.S. State Department.

In 2010, I had read a New Yorker article about a video, released by Wikileaks, that showed an attack on civilians by a U.S. Apache helicopter in Iraq that killed, among others, a Reuters cameraman and a father of two children who were also wounded in the attack.

I was intrigued by the concept of WikiLeaks: an encrypted online platform that allowed whistleblowers to leak information anonymously. But I was also curious about the man behind WikiLeaks, Julian Assange. The article painted him as brilliant but enigmatic, staying up all night bent over a laptop receiving anonymous submissions for the WikiLeaks website.

So, I thought I'd email him, on the off-chance I got a response. To my surprise, a few weeks later, I got a phone call back.

When I first met Assange, I asked him what more WikiLeaks had planned. I was taken aback when he told me casually: "We're going to do something big. We're going to end a war."

What I didn't know at the time was that Assange and WikiLeaks were preparing to launch the biggest leak of U.S. classified documents in recent memory.

Nearly two years and a storm of controversy later, sitting in the same room where he delivered a speech to his supporters from the balcony of the Ecuadorian Embassy, he told me: "We triggered the end of the Iraq war." He quickly added: "Now, that's a rather grandiose statement. But it's true."

He cited commentator Glenn Greenwald and the logic goes something like this: Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki cited documents leaked to Wikileaks as the reason to withdraw legal protection extended to U.S. soldiers in Iraq which ultimately became one of the factors leading to the U.S. troop withdrawal.

For more on that, see the extended version of the interview here.

Personally, I think that's overstating the impact of WikiLeaks. But he has a point that Wikileaks has changed the political landscape. Governments and institutions now live in fear that they could become the next WikiLeaks headline. Anyone with access and a flashdrive can now anonymously leak secrets to this global platform for all the world to see.

Of course, WikiLeaks has plenty of critics and it has suffered due to the allegations against Assange and its financial struggles. The U.S. government has made it clear they believe WikiLeaks' publishing of classified material is illegal and are currently building a case against him. Assange has also been heavily criticized for releasing classified material completely unredacted, potentially putting diplomatic sources into danger.

But he has found plenty of support as well. Nowhere more so than in the Ecuadorian Embassy, a small place of fewer than a dozen rooms.

Assange occupies an office now converted into a bedroom with a bed, a desk and a treadmill for exercise. About once a week, embassy staff say he practices boxing with a friend for more rigorous exercise. The embassy has installed a shower for him but there isn't much of a kitchen, so most of the food is takeaway delivered by his friends and embassy staff.

"The situation here although I'm confined in captivity to an embassy, is much better than being in solitary confinement in a prison." He told me, "So, I am able to work, I am able to speak to you. So, in that sense my mind is free."

Ambassador Ana Alban says he has become part of the family.

"It was difficult for us at the beginning," she told CNN. "We had a person living here 24 hours a day and we didn't know that person, his habits. How he was going to react to confinement.

"What was not normal at the beginning has become normal. He is another one of us here. Somebody that we count on, we talk to, we worry about when we think something has happened to him. We have now an extended and better run family."

His case has become a cause celebre, with Lady Gaga dropping by for tea and fashion designer Vivienne Westwood visiting to display her "I Am Julian Assange" T-shirt.

Small things have changed since I first met him. His white hair, once chin-length has been cropped short. He has ditched his T-shirts and leather jacket for a formal suit and tie. He's far more media savvy now, at times sounding more like a politician than a former-hacker-turned-activist of global renown.

But other things remain the same. He talks passionately about forcing transparency to transform and reform governments and bureaucracies, happily engaging in long debates. He still sees the world's mainstream media as utterly failing in that regard and he's still prone to making grandiose statements.

He's more guarded in interviews now. But occasionally you see some of his mischievous humour peeking through.

In the interview, I asked him whether he considers himself as a dissident against Western governments. Here's how he answered: "No. To be a dissident is simply to take the opposite position."

He added: "You can think of WikiLeaks as simply a function of education. We are just like a library. We collect information about the way the world works. We publish historic documents. And yes, we take the hardest possible case. We look for those things which are very hard to publish and support the rights of publishers and fight for their rights.

"Why do we do that? Well, because we want to live in a better world. But also because it's fun."
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/26/world/europe/wikileaks-assange-color/index.html

What the fuck ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Dunno, what the hell ever happened to standing trial

Yet WikiLeaks' supporters continue to defend Assange after he published the names of dissidents opposed to every vile movement and regime from the Taliban to the Belarusian KGB. Secret police forces and punishment squads across the world now have evidence they can use to imprison and torture.

woah

when did this happen?

Assange plagued by chronic lung problems, says envoy

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is living at the Ecuadorean Embassy in London, is suffering from chronic lung problems, the country’s envoy said on Wednesday. Assange was granted asylum in August to avoid extradition to Sweden on rape charges.

By News Wires (text)

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has been holed up at Ecuador's London embassy for five months, has a lung condition that could get worse, the South American country's envoy to Britain said Wednesday.

"He has a chronic lung condition that could worsen at any time," Ambassador Ana Alban told reporters ahead of an annual gathering of Ecuador's diplomatic corps with President Rafael Correa in Quito.
"Can we be civilised about this?"
Cartoon artist Steven Bell pokes fun at British Foreign Secretary William Hague in The Guardian.

In an interview with CNN from Ecuador's embassy in London, the 41-year-old Assange himself refused to offer details about his condition, saying only: "I don't think it's important." He did not appear ill on camera.

Alban said Ecuador was "covering his medical expenses" and arranging "regular medical checkups," noting that Assange has been living "in a confined space" since seeking asylum 162 days ago to avoid extradition to Sweden on charges of rape and sexual assault.

She did not give further details on his health.

A spokesman for WikiLeaks in London, Kristinn Hrafnsson, declined comment on Assange's health when contacted by AFP.

WikiLeaks enraged Washington in 2010 by leaking hundreds of thousands of classified US documents on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and embarrassing diplomatic cables from US embassies around the world.

Assange was arrested that same year in London but eventually released on bail.
"A black box has been applied to my life" - Assange

He denies the allegations of rape and sexual assault and claims that if he is extradited to Sweden, he could be passed on to the United States and prosecuted, facing a long prison term or even the death sentence.

Ecuador granted Assange asylum on August 16, but Britain has refused to grant him safe passage out of the country -- leaving the two governments in diplomatic deadlock and Assange stuck inside the embassy.

Assange said in an interview published September 30 that his health was "slowly deteriorating" in the embassy, adding that he had "a racking cough."

Last month, Ecuadoran Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said he had requested a meeting with his British counterpart William Hague to discuss Assange's health, claiming he was losing weight and suffering vision problems.

Former Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon, who is representing Assange, said earlier this month in Brazil that he was concerned about his client's condition.

(AFP)
http://www.france24.com/en/20121129-julian-assange-wikileaks-lung-problems-ecuador

Mael

Yet WikiLeaks' supporters continue to defend Assange after he published the names of dissidents opposed to every vile movement and regime from the Taliban to the Belarusian KGB. Secret police forces and punishment squads across the world now have evidence they can use to imprison and torture.

What a good guy!
Meanwhile a college student is getting extradited to the US from the UK because of some petty copyright stuffs...
The US totally want Assange and couldn't get him in the UK, guys!

Flatline

Banned

Rightwing asshole makes non-nonsensical false equivalences between reasonable journalists and lunatics like Beck just because they have a liberal opinion; news at 11. It's exactly the same thing republicans do in the States with MSNBC and the ridiculous comparisons with Fox.

He should stick at bashing Muslims and pretending he's the authority on what's left and why left has supposedly lost its way.

Flatline

Banned
Dunno, what the hell ever happened to standing trial

He's not wanted for trial, he's wanting for questioning in a non-existent rape case where the accuser has backpedaled repeatedly after the many revelations including partying with Assange after the alleged rape.

jaxword

He's not wanted for trial, he's wanting for questioning in a non-existent rape case where the accuser has backpedaled repeatedly after the many revelations including partying with Assange after the alleged rape.

Did the other one recant?

And I think, even if they did "party" with Assange, isn't the European law pretty strict?

Not saying this isn't a massive smear campaign, just that Assange's not exactly legally pure here.

Flatline

Banned
Did the other one recant?

And I think, even if they did "party" with Assange, isn't the European law pretty strict?

Not saying this isn't a massive smear campaign, just that Assange's not exactly legally pure here.

I don't know what the other did but now the "case" has devolved into accusations about a broken condom. Again, he's not wanted for a trial. In comparison the mass murderer and multiple human rights violator Augusto Pinochet was not extradited to Chile when he was in UK.

KHarvey16

He is NOT wanted simply for questioning. A country cannot even issue a European Arrest Warrant if all they want to do is ask questions. He's going to Sweden to be prosecuted.

I don't know what the other did but now the "case" has devolved into accusations about a broken condom. Again, he's not wanted for a trial. In comparison the mass murderer and multiple human rights violator Augusto Pinochet was not extradited to Chile when he was in UK.

"Now"? Uh, none of it is new. You clearly know extremely little about the details here.

This is hilarious:

"Mr Assange, as everyone knows, is in a confined space," Ms Alban said.

"Not only does the embassy have few windows but the city is also dark at this time - we have very little daylight in London."

"He is exposed to any health consequences from this lack of sunlight and lack of fresh air."

Gamers manage doing this year in, year out. I'm not even sure the last time my nephew saw the sun. ;)

Assange is a pussy.

jaxword

Assange has less cash, I assume.

Poor guy's probably going to die in that embassy room.

Flatline

Banned
He is NOT wanted simply for questioning. A country cannot even issue a European Arrest Warrant if all they want to do is ask questions. He's going to Sweden to be prosecuted.

Except that's exactly what's happening since Sweden has provided no evidence of official rape prosecution charges against him. If you actually have evidence of that please post them instead of making unfounded allegations.

KHarvey16

Except that's exactly what's happening since Sweden has provided no evidence of official rape prosecution charges against him. If you actually have evidence of that please post them instead of making unfounded allegations.

Are you kidding me? Multiple courts in the UK ruled on this specifically. Look at any of the three court decisions in the UK regarding his extradition. They were tasked with evaluating whether or not the arrest warrant was valid and, again, specifically ruled that he was not wanted in Sweden simply to be questioned. This is explicitly prohibited in such an arrest warrant since it cannot be issued simply to further an investigation. It must be the result of an investigation and it must be followed by prosecution. The courts in the UK are extremely clear on this. Stop reading his lawyer's press releases and start filling the gaps in your knowledge.

Here are the rulings, in order:
http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/jud-aut-sweden-v-assange-judgment.pdf
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2011/2849.pdf
http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/UKSC_2011_0264_Judgment.pdf

You should read them.

Flatline

Banned
Are you kidding me? Multiple courts in the UK ruled on this specifically. Look at any of the three court decisions in the UK regarding his extradition. They were tasked with evaluating whether or not the arrest warrant was valid and, again, specifically ruled that he was not wanted in Sweden simply to be questioned. This is explicitly prohibited in such an arrest warrant since it cannot be issued simply to further an investigation. It must be the result of an investigation and it must be followed by prosecution. The courts in the UK are extremely clear on this. Stop reading his lawyer's press releases and start filling the gaps in your knowledge.

Don't change the subject, this isn't about an arrest warrant which was based on Assange being flight risk, this is about whether or not he is officially being prosecuted for rape. There are no rape charges against him, he's just wanted for questioning, if they had evidence they'd prosecute him with or without his testimony.

I'm still waiting for proof from you of the alleged prosecution rape charges.

KHarvey16

Don't change the subject, this isn't about an arrest warrant which was based on Assange being flight risk, this is about whether or not he is officially being prosecuted for rape. There are no rape charges against him, he's just wanted for questioning, if they had evidence they'd prosecute him with or without his testimony.

You don't know what you're talking about. Refer to the judgments I posted in the edit above. Read them.

KHarvey16

Are there official rape charges against him? Yes/No?

And please stop changing the subject.

Read the judgments. The fact you think this is changing the subject speaks to your ignorance. There can be no valid arrest warrant if he is only wanted for questioning, and the courts ruled the warrant is valid. Can you understand why that shits all over your theory?

Mael

Funny this looks like Lance Armstrong's thread :
"He was never caught cheating and that's all that counts!"

Flatline

Banned
Read the judgments. The fact you think this is changing the subject speaks to your ignorance. There can be no valid arrest warrant if he is only wanted for questioning, and the courts ruled the warrant is valid. Can you understand why that shits all over your theory?

This poster repeatedly refused to reply to the simple question of if there are official rape charges against Assange in Sweden so there's nothing else to discuss. For the record the answer is: NO, there aren't any rape charges filed against Assange so he's not wanted for his trial, there is no trial.

Mael

This poster repeatedly refused to reply to the simple question of if there are official rape charges against Assange in sweden so there's nothing else to discuss. For the record the answer is: NO, there aren't any rape charges files against Assange so he's not wanted for his trial, there is no trial.

So if he's not wanted for trial, he's wanted to be extradited to the US?
Is that what you're saying or is it just for shit and giggles that they made an arrest warrant?

KHarvey16

This poster repeatedly refused to reply to the simple question of if there are official rape charges against Assange so there's nothing else to discuss. For the record the answer is: NO, there aren't any rape charges files against Assange so he's not wanted to trial.

I have told you again and again. Read the judgments. Sweden's justice system does not work the same as most western systems and ALL of this is explained in the documents I'm pointing you to. You initially stated that he is wanted for questioning. I'll go over this again:

A European Arrest Warrant cannot be issued if the defendant is simply wanted for questioning.
Sweden issued a EAW and this warrant was upheld in MULTIPLE COURTS in the UK. They rule explicitly that he is WANTED FOR PROSECUTION. Their reasoning is in the documents I've asked you to read.

You are 100% wrong, and you're being willfully ignorant in the face of facts that contradict your presuppositions. It's pathetic.

Flatline

Banned
So if he's not wanted for trial, he's wanted to be extradited to the US?

I can't be sure about that but it's not the first time the US has used highly dubious and illegal methods to prosecute or retaliate against its enemies so the threat is very real.

I have told you again and again. Read the judgments. Sweden's justice system does not work the same as most western systems and ALL of this is explained in the documents I'm pointing you to. You initially stated that he is wanted for questioning. I'll go over this again:

A European Arrest Warrant cannot be issued if the defendant is simply wanted for questioning.
Sweden issued a EAW and this warrant was upheld in MULTIPLE COURTS in the UK. They rule explicitly that he is WANTED FOR PROSECUTION. Their reasoning is in the documents I've asked you to read.

You are 100% wrong, and you're being willfully ignorant in the face of facts that contradict your presuppositions. It's pathetic.

If he's wanted for trial there would be official charges. Please post them for god's sake and stop making intellectually dishonest allegations. I'm waiting for the links.

KHarvey16

If he's wanted for trial there would be official charges. Please post them for god's sake and stop spamming intellectually dishonest allegations.

You're ridiculous. I HAVE posted it and you haven't even clicked on the fucking links. All of this is discussed in the decisions. Sweden's legal system doesn't work the way you think it does.

He is wanted for prosecution. Get over it.

Mael

I can't be sure about that but it's not the first time the US has used highly dubious and illegal methods to prosecute or retaliate against its enemies so the threat is very real.

So....you're saying that the simplest explanation is that crackpot theory about having to have consent from Sweden then the UK about something they didn't even tell anyone about is the best explanation?
When just recently the US is getting their hands on a UK citizen who didn't commit a crime in the UK...
I mean why the fuck did they issue a warrant on him in the UK since UK courts don't seem to have any problem handing their own citizens to the US anyway instead of going through Sweden?
That makes as much sense as the 9/11 theories!

Flatline

Banned
You're ridiculous. I HAVE posted it and you haven't even clicked on the fucking links. All of this is discussed in the decisions. Sweden's legal system doesn't work the way you think it does.

Post a specific link and quote where is says he's being prosecuted for rape, not the mambo jumbo spam pdf to muddy the waters. I'm waiting.

jorma

is now taking requests

That's just not true. It's not yet decided whether they will prosecute or not. They just want to interview him before they decide. That's how the system works.

He is wanted for interview, not for prosecution.

Flatline

Banned
So you basically just want him to make your job easier because you can't be bothered to read

If I wanted legal excuses from Sweden's corrupt judiciary system that allows RIAA affiliated judges to decide on piratebay trials I'd look into it even though I doubt I'd understand much. I want conclusive evidence that there are rape charges against Assange and no serious analyst of journalist has said that. On the contrary, everyone agrees that there aren't any.

Mael

That's just not true. It's not yet decided whether they will prosecute or not. They just want to interview him before they decide. That's how the system works.

He is wanted for interview, not for prosecution.

Isn't the situation more like the whole prosecution is on a state that doesn't exists in the UK legal language and the closest it is IS prosecution?

If I wanted legal excuses from Sweden's corrupt judiciary system that allows RIAA affiliated judges to decide on piratebay trials I'd look into it even though I doubt I'd understand much. I want conclusive evidence that there are rape charges against Assange and no serious analyst of journalist has said that. On the contrary, everyone agrees that there aren't any.

So Sweden judiciary system is crap but the rest of the world is not?
Heck from your post it seems like if it was even spelled as such you wouldn't take that as proof.

KHarvey16

Post a specific link and quote where is says he's being prosecuted for rape not the legal mambo jumbo spam to mud the waters. I'm waiting.

I'll give you quotes from the decisions by the UK courts. The first is from the Westminster Magistrate's Court:

In summary:

1. There is an unequivocal statement that the purpose of the warrant is for prosecution.

9. As a matter of fact, looking at all the circumstances in the round, this person passes the threshold of being an "accused" person and is wanted for prosecution.

From the ruling made by the High Court:

In our view, the terms if the EAW read as a whole made clear that not only was the EAW issued for the purpose of Mr. Assange being prosecuted for the offense, but that he was required for the purposes of being tried after being identified as the perpetrator of specific criminal offenses. He was therefore accused of the offenses specified in the EAW. Nothing in the EAW suggested he was wanted for questioning as a suspect.

All of this in the shit I asked you to look at.

Flatline

Banned
9. As a matter of fact, looking at all the circumstances in the round, this person passes the threshold of being an "accused" person and is wanted for prosecution.

There is a threshold of being accused of something and that threshold is officially being accused of something which he isn't. As I expected it's legal mambo jambo from Sweden's desperate prosecutors. There are no rape charges against him and no trial, it's all in your head, sorry.

Mael

There is a threshold of being accused of something and that threshold is officially being accused of something which is isn't. As I expected it's legal mambo jambo from Sweden's desperate prosecutors. There are no rape charges against him and no trial, it's all in your head, sorry.

Westminster Magistrate's Court is Sweden's desperate prosecutors?
Do you happen to be American?

Flatline

Banned
Westminster Magistrate's Court is Sweden's desperate prosecutors?
Do you happen to be American?

Dude they're agreeing with Swedish prosecution which argued all this in the first place. Is there a purpose to this post or is it purely an effort to make me look bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom