• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eddie Griffin defends Cosby, alleges ‘systematic effort to destroy’ black male stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't that uncommon of a viewpoint. I have coworkers at my job who believe that the entire Bill Cosby thing is a huge conspiracy by the nation's elite to keep the black community down. Basically, ten years ago Bill Cosby spoke out against the black community about getting their act together as he told them that they had to pull their pants up and stop giving their children funny names. This brought fear into the eyes of America's (mostly white) elite class. So they huddled together and tried to find a way to pin Bill Cosby down. They struggled to find a way but it wasn't until Hannibal, the comedian, brought back Cosby's previous rape controversies to light. The white elite then decided to exploit this as someone putting down Bill Cosby's message who is black will make the black community turn away from Cosby and discredit them. The government proceeded to push Hannibal's agenda throughout the media and pay a bunch of black women to say that Cosby raped them. Now the black community can't get their act together because they will no longer listen to Cosby's message and will forever be held down by society thanks to Hannibal and the ultra white elite. Again I am not kidding they spent a whole hour talking about this and this is word for what what they said.
No, Bill Cosby trying to buy NBC and pissing Rich white people off is how the conspiracy goes. Dude is guilty though.

Laz-E-Boy

Not surprising that Cosby's biggest supporters come off as hateful, ignorant clowns

Let me pretense the below by saying I hope this doesnt come off sounding racist.

I am so tired of Individuals intersecting race into conversations when it is not needed. I and many other do not care what race you are. We wouldn't care if you were green. Being a certain race doesn't give you a free pass at valid criticisms. Eddie Griffin is just another in a line of people and movements trying to bring in race when it is not warranted.

It needs to stop.

lol @ that lame attempt of an edit. Nice try.

riotous

Banned
No, Bill Cosby trying to buy NBC and pissing Rich white people off is how the conspiracy goes. Dude is guilty though.

Why would anyone be pissed off about that? NBC wasn't for sale at the time; that's sort of the end of that story.

Not trying to discount the concept that race comes into play with how one is treated in Hollywood; but where is the logic here that General Electric who owned NBC would need in any way to discredit Cosby in order to simply say "no." There's also the fact that happened almost 25 years ago and the vast majority of the public never knew or believed any allegations until this past year.

Cheerilee

Lmfao has Southpark made an episode about this yet?

In the episode where Michael Jackson moved to South Park, they claimed that police officers have a sworn duty to frame rich black men. The police officers become physically ill once they see that Michael Jackson is white, and realize that they (gasp) nearly framed a rich white man.

Eddie is a decent enough comedian with one really great movie and some good stand-up.

But the dude has always been insane. He fully and 100% believes the illuminati control the world.

What's really fucked up is that he even had bits in his routines about MJ abusing little boys and how it was true. It should also be noted that he has like 11 kids with 9 different women so his whole "he was married" shit is kinda disgusting. The reason his career is in the tank in the first place is cause of shit like this.

Afrocious

I find if hard to believe Eddie Griffin didn't see what happened to Damon Wayans and how he got destroyed online/in the media after he defended Bill Cosby on the Breakfast Club radio show last year. But then again Eddie probably sees any attention as good news.

Got more info on what happened here? Gonna see what Damon Wayans said.

I fucking hate shit like this. Bill Cosby isn't worth the defense or the time or day to even consider he's being destroyed because of his success. We (as in black people) can do better than him. And it outright disgusts me to see black men rail on the women who gave testimonies by calling them whores and such.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Let me pretense the below by saying I hope this doesnt come off sounding racist.

I am so tired of Individuals intersecting race into conversations when it is not needed. I and many other do not care what race you are. We wouldn't care if you were green. Being a certain race doesn't give you a free pass at valid criticisms. Eddie Griffin is just another in a line of people and movements trying to bring in race when it is not warranted.

It needs to stop.

first ban of 2016 is a perm! what do I win

What a grade-A douchebucket.
This kind of dumb hogwash reminds me of when cis straight gender-typical black men make up idiotic bigoted anti-LGBT conspiracies about Holly Wood trying to systematically "emasculate" (what a stupid freakin' word) black men with contrived lowest common-denominator crossdressing plots in film and TV.
It's stupid, ridiculous, and loathsome.
Particularly because it twists and warps real problems regarding the toxic amounts of racism that exist in Holly Wood while also managing to punch down at other stigmatized and disenfranchised groups.

What a grade-A douchebucket.
This kind of dumb hogwash reminds me of when cis straight gender-typical black men make up idiotic bigoted anti-LGBT conspiracies about Holly Wood trying to systematically "emasculate" (what a stupid freakin' word) black men with contrived lowest common-denominator crossdressing plots in film and TV.
It's stupid, ridiculous, and loathsome.
Particularly because it twists and warps real problems regarding the toxic amounts of racism that exist in Holly Wood while also managing to punch down at other stigmatized and disenfranchised groups.

Hold on now, that cross dressing stuff is real. Many black actors refuse to do it.

Im even surprised DeAndre Jordan co-signed to do it, in some current State Farm ads.

Hold on now, that cross dressing stuff is real. Many black actors refuse to do it..

I'm sure the actors refusing to do it is real and I'm sure the embarrassment that some of those men have felt performing those roles is legitimate, but the homophobic/effemiphobic/anti- gender variant conspiracy theories about systematic "emasculation" (again, what a stupid freakin' word. #masculinitysofragile) that often comes from cis straight gender-typical black men regarding that specific subject are pure bigoted garbage. .

MisterGrey3000, I hear what you're communicating but this isn't the thread for it.
Would somebody please explain to a non-American why there is such a fascination and defensiveness in favour of Bill Cosby? At last count, we are looking at over 50 accusers, numerous out of court settlements, and admittance under oath of administering drugs to women. At some point you have to say, where there's choking blinding smoke, there's fire, don't you?

ReiGun

“Did he rape these b**ches?” Griffin asks rhetorically in his VladTV interview. “Why would you go to the room of a known married man?”

Nah but how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I mean, as long as we're asking nonsense questions.

Chariot

Current Cosby has to be one of the worst points to start a discussion about racial inequality in media, especially if followed up by misogeny.

I hadn't even realized that Bill Cosby had people reaching this far in order to defend him until I scrolled FB and saw much of the same. Eddie Griffin and many other people today have reminded me that even in 2016, people will actively choose to lack intelligence.

Sad.

And the thing is, it had been known for ages, but no one took it seriously until Hannibal Buress brought it back up.

Yup. The allegations made brief news in the mid-2000s, and then died. Hannibal's joke in Philly blew up on social media, and then, almost a decade later, people started paying the attention they should have paid back then, and then some.

Afrocious

MisterGrey3000, I hear what you're communicating but this isn't the thread for it.
Would somebody please explain to a non-American why there is such a fascination and defensiveness in favour of Bill Cosby? At last count, we are looking at over 50 accusers, numerous out of court settlements, and admittance under oath of administering drugs to women. At some point you have to say, where there's choking blinding smoke, there's fire, don't you?

Some people are basically trying to defend a hero and an idea.

Personally, it's aggravating and sad when I see black people, namely black men, defend him. There's levels to how bad it is. These people pretend hand waving away raped women with testimonies will do anything aside from reinforce their misogynistic views. It's also an issue regarding old opinions on gender roles where men are forgiven and/or praised for how many women they have sex with and women are looked down upon and berated on the same standard. Finally, take these points and multiply their magnitude by a hundred due to black men defending this loser for whatever reason - be it systemic racism tearing down a successful black man or any other nonsense.

These comedians keep talking about how it was okay to do shit in the 70s. They need to get their dumb opinions out of the 70s and into the 21st century.

Fuck hero worship and fuck idols. As a black man, I don't need some sweater wearing rapist dictating what's best for me nor am I going to side with other black men to defend him because of his success.

I wasn't planning on specifically diving into that parallel (it's a sensitive subject that deserves a much more in depth focused discussion)
Now I kind of wish I put "But hey, lets not derail the thread." like I originally planned.

Some people are basically trying to defend a hero and an idea.

Personally, it's aggravating and sad when I see black people, namely black men, defend him. There's levels to how bad it is. These people pretend hand waving away raped women with testimonies will do anything aside from reinforce their misogynistic views. It's also an issue regarding old opinions on gender roles where men are forgiven and/or praised for how many women they have sex with and women are looked down upon and berated on the same standard. Finally, take these points and multiply their magnitude by a hundred due to black men defending this loser for whatever reason - be it systemic racism tearing down a successful black man or any other nonsense.

These comedians keep talking about how it was okay to do shit in the 70s. They need to get their dumb opinions out of the 70s and into the 21st century.

Fuck hero worship and fuck idols. As a black man, I don't need some sweater wearing rapist dictating what's best for me nor am I going to side with other black men to defend him because of his success.

There is no #FreeCosby hash tag, so I dont see black men in droves defending his actions. Just because a few famous blacks ride with him, doesn't mean everybody is.

People have a right to their opinion. And any allegations taken to any person needs to be proved in court. Thats just the way the USA works.

No matter how fucked the situation looks, every man or woman is entitled to their day in court.

The internet cannot ask for a retrial for Avery then in the same breath crucify Cosby without his trial.

Afrocious

There is no #FreeCosby hash tag, so I dont see black men in droves defending his actions. Just because a few famous blacks ride with him, doesn't mean everybody is.

People have a right to their opinion. And any allegations taken to any person needs to be proved in court. Thats just the way the USA works.

No matter how fucked the situation looks, every man or woman is entitled to their day in court.

The internet cannot ask for a retrial for Avery then in the same breath crucify Cosby without his trial.

One: Fuck your neutralism. If you want to preach about every man or woman being entitled to their day in court, tell yourself that while you sleep knowing that shit, that 'fairness', isn't always given.

Two: Stop living in a bubble. Just because you saw some vids of comedians defending him doesn't mean all folks disagree with them. Scour comments. They're trash. Garbage defending filth. Talk to people. Hit up twitter. It exists. Fuck off with that hashtag shit and don't you fucking go around trying make some goddamn point about how there's no #FreeCosby or whatever as a way to diminish actual outrage that we're seeing actual misogyny at work concerning these cases as well as seeing blatant sexism within the black community that's been pervasive for I don't know how long.

Three: Congratulations, you have an opinion. Jesus Christ GAF is pissing me off.

One: Fuck your neutralism. If you want to preach about every man or woman being entitled to their day in court, tell yourself that while you sleep knowing that shit, that 'fairness', isn't always given.

Two: Stop living in a bubble. Just because you saw some vids of comedians defending him doesn't mean all folks disagree with them. Scour comments. They're trash. Garbage defending filth. Talk to people. Hit up twitter. It exists. Fuck off with that hashtag shit and don't you fucking go around trying make some goddamn point about how there's no #FreeCosby or whatever as a way to diminish actual outrage that we're seeing actual misogyny at work concerning these cases as well as seeing blatant sexism within the black community that's been pervasive for I don't know how long.

Three: Congratulations, you have an opinion. Jesus Christ GAF is pissing me off.

blatant Sexism in the black community?

As a opposed to the lack of sexism in other ethnic communities across America?

This is where part where you tell me blacks do it worse than everyone else??

Afrocious

blatant Sexism in the black community?

As a opposed to the lack of sexism in other ethnic communities across America?

This is where part where you tell me blacks do it worse than everyone else??

No. This is the part where I tell you I've run out of fucks to give about anything you have to say on the matter in regards to responding to you about this subject.

Why do certain comedians like Eddie, Damon Wayans and Dick Gregory go into complete and utter moron mode when it comes to Cosby and fall over themselves to defend him with this braindead conspiracy stupidity when Cosby has been dumping on them and their particular non-family comedy brands for many years? Not just from a common sense standpoint, it's also incredibly bizarre to say "the white media is out to get Bill Cosby" when the media and networks have been protecting him for decades, pretending everything was status quo and happy times whenever he made a talk show (look up his fawning Jimmy Fallon appearances in the last few years to cringe) or other public appearance. Some of the initially known rape allegations such as the Constand case were easily accessible and WERE reported on by several mainstream outlets like People magazine and the extremely in depth Philly mag pice but that stuff kept getting swept under the rug all to protect Cosby's money making image, and by who? The same "white boogey man media conglomorate" which idiots like Eddie Griffin say are now out to get Cosby were protecting him the entire time. That's part of what drove the entire point of Hannibal's routine which was cutting through that endless miasma of ignorance people had about Cosby, ignorance which was both willful and if it wasn't willful, it was aided by the media covering for Cosby.

But yes, Eddie. The "white media Illuminati" is out to get Cosby because a conservative African American comedian who has spent decades generating them billions of dollars in between slamming and insulting the black community would obviously be against the interests of racist white business people. I also don't get the whole line of "Ohhhhh, it's because he showed interest in buying NBC in the 80s!!!" Like these guys are all sitting at a roundtable, smoking cigars and all of a sudden one of them jumps to his feet and says, "Hey! Remember when Bill Cosby was interested in buying NBC 20-30 years ago??! Let's teach him a lesson even though that was a long time ago and he hasn't tried since!!"

No. This is the part where I tell you I've run out of fucks to give about anything you have to say on the matter in regards to responding to you about this subject.

Use that passion for a local organization. Take a pass at making outrageous statements on a forum as a Keyboard Warrior.

Blatant sexism is the black community. lol, cheers.

Kimawolf

This is one of my problems, there are people who seem to think this drove of black people are just blindly defending, even in this thread, and its just not true. to say the "black community" is defending him is bullshit, when it is a few celebrities and what not, most black people i know say dude probably did it, simply too many women coming out.

so to start spouting bullshit about how the "black community" is this misogynistic, horrible thing is a fucked up and frankly borderline racist comment to make. Are their problems? of course! but there are a LOT more pressing matters black people are dealing with, like living. I know you didn't say it, but it just irks me to no end.

Come down on Bill Cosby, most definitely, but don't condemn a entire culture because of your bullshit opinion.

besada

Banned
I mean the logic doesn't track, unless someone is coming for Oprah, Michael Strahan, Beyonce/Jay-Z, Pharrell, Serena Williams, Richard Sherman, Kerry Washington, Eric Holder, etc...

The truth is that celebrities are just people and people sometimes do wrong shit, so I'm sure none of those folks up above are perfect, but that's a far cry from the extensive rape allegations against Cosby.

Come on, Eddie.
Yeah, we're going to gin up a conspiracy against Bill Cosby thirty plus people deep, but we're going to let Ye and Hova skate. If the Mayonaisse Cabal was after Cosby, you'd think they wouldn't have let him have four decades on top and only pull the trigger when he got old and irrelevant. But hey, I suspect Eddie has much better drugs than I do.

first ban of 2016 is a perm! what do I win
If history is any indication, RSI in your ban finger.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, we're going to gin up a conspiracy against Bill Cosby thirty plus people deep, but we're going to let Ye and Hova skate. If the Mayonaisse Cabal was after Cosby, you'd think they wouldn't have let him have four decades on top and only pull the trigger when he got old and irrelevant. But hey, I suspect Eddie has much better drugs than I do.

Cosby got his start in the 60s. They could have arrested him for doing comedy with the racial climate back then.

It would have been the first quarter of his biopic, right before the pain of losing one of his siblings causes him to drug women.

Cheerilee

At one point, The Cosby Show was the top-rated show on TV in America. It was a sitcom that presented the idea that black people could succeed, both in terms of Bill Cosby winning the ratings game, and Cliff Huxtable (his TV show character) being a rich, successful doctor, living and respected in one of the richest neighborhoods in America, with his black, rich, successful, respected lawyer wife.

His character also banged the "father knows best" traditional values drum, while his closest competitor was Homer Simpson (a parody of that trope). So old conservative white people liked him while he was doing a liberal thing, opening doors and removing barriers for black people.

Cosby's accusers were mostly isolated. He said/she said against a respected father figure. One-by-one, they couldn't break people's sense of denial.

Once one of them got some publicity, the others spoke up and it got a lot harder for Cosby to shut them down. And then, the matching accusations were that he drugged them and raped them while they were helpless... and it came out that he admitted that he was a fan of date-rape drugs, because they make the sex way better, in a totally consensual way. At this point, it's only the extreme fringe that still thinks of him as their funny uncle.

Oddduck

I think people are still in utter shock and disbelief that a man can go from this...

clinton-cosby.jpg
bill-cosby.jpeg
apw2002070963305.jpg
obama-kennedy.jpg
cosby-638x438.jpg
sharpton-jackson-cosby.jpg

To becoming the most famous serial rapist in American history.

Anyways, I hope Bill Cosby is locked behind bars and all of the women find justice.

So all on my Facebook, people think it's a big bad conspiracy because he tried to buy NBC. Which brings me to ask, couldn't they have just said no to the sale? Why create this whole rape image for him when they could have just said no to the sale and saved their energy?

And where is bill cosby getting enough money to buy NBC?

bionic77

I can't speak to the rest of what he said, and keep in mind that Griffin is a comedian and is also pretty crazy, but I can confirm that there is a conspiracy of honest, hard working people trying to bring down Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom