• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright is a very good director, and it's sort of weird to suggest he isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly i think world's end was my favorite from him (and I'm a huge fan of his other films, especially hot fuzz and scott pilgrim). it had a really different character for him in gary king. that wrist reveal was a surprisingly nice dramatic scene.

plus those jackie chan fight scenes were on point. the man made michael cera and nick frost look like damn good fighters. no easy feat.

Omg I actually agree with Disco.

Although I do find Worlds End to be the least rewatchable of his trilogy.

Bro fist. internet hug. Hannibal as an avatar? I <3 you. Lets never fight again. Now kiss.

6Fy7NPE.gif

guek

Banned
I still maintain the majority of the displeasure towards Scott Pilgrim would have been avoided had they cast a better lead. Michael Cera stinks.

I don't know about you guys, but the Ant-Man trailer looked too serious for a guy with shrinking powers. If the movie turns out that way I can't say I'd like to watch it.

The nature of the character seems to fit perfectly with Edgar Wright's style of film mamking. Too bad that's not happening, ah well.

I still maintain the majority of the displeasure towards Scott Pilgrim would have been avoided had they cast a better lead. Michael Cera stinks.

I don't trust director who thought it was a good idea to cast Michael Cera as lead. Like, what were you thinking? Scott Pilgrim was basically a sports movie too.

I don't think Michael Cera stinks, but I do think he was a bad call. He didn't really look, or act, like the Scott in the books. Everyone else was a good approximation of their comics counterparts. His performance is my biggest problem with the movie. Hell, if he'd swapped roles with Young Neil (Johnny Simmons) I'd probably have been happier..

That said, I'll echo an earlier post in saying making Michael Cera look legit in a fight sequence is commendable in and of itself.

Scott Pilgrim was basically a sports movie too.

How you figure?

Eidan

I'm glad more people are realizing how much of a masterpiece The World's End is. Damn I love that movie.

RedStep

Edgar Wright would've been the best director to have helmed a Marvel movie so far so it's a big loss and the MCU would have benefited from his style to at least stave off some fatigue that people are starting to feel and it's getting stronger.

Saying "people are starting to feel fatigue" is like saying "people are starting to like getting their balls stomped on with stiletto heels". It's true in that some people are doing it, but it's disingenuous in that it implies an overall trend that doesn't exist. Marvel movies are making more and more money and building a bigger and bigger fanbase out in the real world.

Edgar Wright is a fine director that makes good movies. He's not terrible, and he's not Dog's gift to anybody. Amongst all the persecution complexing and defending against invisible hordes, the OP also showed a linear decline in critical ratings, audience ratings, and box office returns (minus the peak being the second movie and not the first financially). The dude never gained that much steam in the world, and he appears to be losing it bit by bit. The one strange thing about his career is the level of devotion that he's gained from a little group of people in that time. An example would be posting a whole thread about how it's weird to not like him that much.

Ant-Man will be fine without him, though I wish he'd stayed on so we could actually discuss the movie and not just that he left it.

Hot Fuzz is still my favorite film from him. I love Shaun for the first couple viewing but it got dull fast for some reason while I've lost count how many times I've watched Hot Fuzz. same with World's End, didn't even felt the desire to watch that movie again even though I certainly enjoy my time with that movie.

Scott Pilgrim is a weird one, I like the movie, but I really never get that kind of vibe from the comics. and I still can't see Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim from the comic. entertaining movie, but not a comic adaptation I was imagining in my head.

so, yeah. Edgar Wright is a good director, but honestly, I don't see why he's such a 'perfect' guy to direct Ant-Man, none of his previous work fit for Ant-Man. I surely don't want an Ant-Man movie in Scott Pilgrim's style

An example would be posting a whole thread about how it's weird to not like him that much.

To be clear, I said it's weird to suggest he's not a good director.

There are people whose skills as a director I can recognize, even if I don't like the movies themselves.

The one strange thing about his career is the level of devotion that he's gained from a little group of people in that time.

I also don't think this is all that weird, especially given the relative scale of his success. Any small-scale or even niche artist is going to have a fanbase that feels/acts more fervent in response.

It's understandable that Wright has the fanbase he has (I don't know that they're all that "devoted," really) when looking at his filmography. It sure as hell makes more sense than say, the fanbase devoted to Kevin Smith, which is even louder and definitely more belligerent on the average.

But how many people are actually saying he is not a good director?

These goons

I like his movies.

Does that mean I think he is a very good director? not at all.

No different than someone like Brett Ratner.

I think he is a very overrated director. I will go as far as to say.... a bad director.

He shoots and edits like a film school student (Trust me, I was one). His "style" is very forced and made up mostly of homages to other film maker's styles. I really hate this kind of film making. I find it cheap.

It was terrible. Only gets propped up because its British. Dude sucks at what he does. People overlook those things when Pegg and Wright are being hilarious but just look at Pilgram. Trash.

The people that want his antman are hilarious. 2 fucking hours of antman running around while he adds post op stuff like ant man staying NARLEY!!!!! What a joke.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Goons? Its honestly hilarious how this one, shitty director has so many fans. Usually a guy with this small of a film rep is just ignored as he rightfully should be.
0UniwmA.gif

Were you seriously suggesting that him being British was a reason (scratch that, probably the only reason) as to why people paid attention to him in any way? We like his movies because they're fun in a heavily stylised way, finding humour in areas where you think there wouldn't be any, and paying sincere homage to the genres that he spoofs. I'm not a fan of Joss Whedon's work, but you don't see me going around mocking the way he does snark like you do in what you think Edgar Wright's humour is. I usually hate the whole "stop liking what I don't like" meme...but in this case, with your post, this applies perfectly with the way your acting and the tone that comes off of it.

It's kind of crazy how much of an awesome action film a dude with a relatively small budget can make. I just love his fast zoom style. He does quick cuts right where everything is readable.

iD3DboLDVDlvp.gif

iDjwxFKdWBSdq.gif

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It's kind of crazy how much of an awesome action film a dude with a relatively small budget can make. I just love his fast zoom style. He does quick cuts right where everything is readable.

iD3DboLDVDlvp.gif

iDjwxFKdWBSdq.gif

These and his visual comedy is what makes him a standout director imo.
movie-text-post-scott-pilgrim-lolsotrue.gif

This thread seems rather unnecessary, I mean was it created on the basis of the 3 posts quoted above? Because majority of people I have seen acknowledge Wright as being a great director. In fact, the majority of the posts regarding his status with Marvel is that Ant Man will be a piece of shit because he is no longer involved, which as others have said has become a tired meme at this point.

Personally I am a huge fan of his, Spaced is a classic series that you can put on and watch at any time. Shaun of the Dead was also a classic film that should be remembered for all time. Hot Fuzz was a great film, very funny and a genuine bromance that puts Hollywood portrayals to shame. Worlds End I really enjoyed, maybe not quite as much as the first 2 films but I do need to watch it again. And of course Scott Pilgrim, which I think is a pretty much perfect film that I could quote all day long. It also has an amazing cast that have some of their best performances ever.

I am sad we wont see him involved in Ant-man but I would rather lose him than the film possibly not benefiting the overall MCU since that’s a big plus of the whole idea of it.

Sec0nd

Edgar Wright is a genius director. I might not like all of his movies. But the way he shoots them and does comedy is probably one of the best and unique out there. I've got massive respect for Edgar Wright.

CloudWolf

Are you serious? You can easily recognize an Edgar Wright movie in like 2 seconds or at the first cut.
Agreed, even in movies he didn't have a hand in directing and only had a writing position (Attack the Block, The Adventures of Tintin), you can still see his signature style seeping through

Rembrandt

Banned
He's an amazing director, imo. He was the perfect fit for Ant-Man, too. But whatever, I just want a new movie from him.

and he beats his wife also.

No he doesn't. it was a lame joke by someone in one of the Ant-Man threads, based on Ant-Man's comic book history, and for some reason a bunch of people are now running with it.

On topic:
As someone who is a big fan of Wright's work and greatly enjoys a good deal of he MCU movies, i wish people on both extremes of the scale would give it a rest already, because it's getting seriously tiresome having to read the same hyperbolic shit in every thread about the film. I was as bummed out as anyone when the news broke last year, but i've come to terms with it and patiently wait for whatever he has lined up next. As for Ant-Man, the trailer didn't exactly wow me, but i know better than to make a final judgement on the film based on a trailer, so i'm still looking forward to it.

Frodo

Edgar Wright is an extraordinary director. No denying that.

You have all the right to not like his films or his style, but to say he isn't a good direct is downright lying (I know, opinions, but still). That being said I can totally understand why Marvel might have fired him. I consider that a terrible loss to Ant-man, but... I'll probably wait until the film is released and I've watched it before judging it. Marvel seems to have nailed the super-hero-movies formula so far, so...

Tom_Cody

"Good" director is exactly accurate.

He has talent, but his three Simon Pegg films are 8.0/10 buddy comedies IMO. And I hated Scott Pilgrim.

I will probably watch most of his future films, but I don't get why this topic is a matter of emotional engagement for anyone.

Regarding the 'Wright versus Marvel' issue, I am generally a bigger fan of Marvel's films than I am Wright's films.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything he's ever made that I've seen. He's way too zany for my tastes, can't say what he's made is poorly directed though.

guek

Banned
I'm still waiting for his mainstream hit. It could have been Ant-Man but alas it wasn't to be Some day, Edgar. Some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom