• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

iceatcs

Yes, but I'm not seeing how this is relevant.

Nobody is questioning whether or not the hardware "has bottlenecks" (lol) or whether they mean that the Xbox One versions are better; the question is whether BW is a bottleneck for GPU I/O.
Well this thread is all about gap between PS4 and Xbox One performance. That's why I brought it up. Even if there is bandwidth bottleneck but the quite of the gap still there like we expected, aka difference resolution and minor graphics.

Maybe we should wait much longer to see if the gap might get smaller when the devs got used to these systems, like PS3 catching up.

IN&OUT

Banned
Well this thread is all about gap between PS4 and Xbox One performance. That's why I brought it up. Even if there is bandwidth bottleneck but the quite of the gap still there like we expected, aka difference resolution and minor graphics.

Maybe we should wait much longer to see if the gap might get smaller when the devs got used with those systems, like PS3 catching up.

PS3/360 gap example is not applicable to PS4/X1 at all. totally different situations. I'm not gonna explain why for the millionth time.

HTupolev

Maybe we should wait much longer to see if the gap might get smaller when the devs got used to these systems, like PS3 catching up.
Maybe. There are two sides to that argument.

Will the weird architecture allow the Xbox One to grow more as developers figure out "the right compromises" on the platform, or does the greater versatility of the PS4 mean that there's another axis to the decision-making that will allow the PS4 to grow in more interesting ways over time?

IN&OUT

Banned
Maybe. There are two sides to that argument.

Will the weird architecture allow the Xbox One to grow more as developers figure out "the right compromises" on the platform, or does the greater versatility of the PS4 mean that there's another axis to the decision-making that will allow the PS4 to grow in more interesting ways over time?

I'm more with bolded part because:

PS4 has more hardware to grow. future game design rely heavily on GPGPU which PS4 excels at.
Xbone in the other hand has a bottleneck (Esram) to an already weaker system. a fully utilized esram (~160gb/s real world performance in only 32MB cache) will still lag behind PS4 (172gb/s of ~6GB of GDDR5) accessible to the GPU. not factoring other hardware components available to PS4 only (extra CU's, more ROP's,ALU and texture units).

DonMigs85

PS3/360 gap example is not applicable to PS4/X1 at all. totally different situations. I'm not gonna explain why for the millionth time.
Yeah, half the ROPs is already a big handicap for Xbone.
I guess late in the gen many multiplats will be 720p on Xbone with toned-down shader effects.

Top Bottom