• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Effexor (Venlafaxine)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Has anyone here ever been prescribed Effexor (37.5mg) also known as venlafaxine? I was prescribed it a little over two weeks ago so I've been taking it for that long so far and it seems to be making a difference but I can't really tell as of yet since I heard it takes around 6 to 8 weeks to notice changes.

I've heard some good and some bad about this drug. For those who don't know it's used for depression and anxiety. I went to a new psychiatrist and explain to them all the issues I'm going through especially after the loss of my father as some of you may know.

Last edited:

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My girlfriend takes it. If she misses a day or two she gets "brain zaps" which are supposedly pretty miserable. I don't understand why antidepressants like these are prescribed without first running the gamut of pills that don't torture you if you miss a day, let alone decide to get off them entirely. Also sex drive can plummet.

Saiyan-Rox

I was on it for 3 years or so before moving to another drug

I found it even took away the joy in my life kinda list went numb indefinitely.

Trying a new drug now and tbh the suicidal thoughts are huge.

Fwiw if you ever need to come of it it's a complete bitch. Nausea and brain zaps are really bad.

pramod

Banned
Dont want to sound callous but im just truly curious. So you can get all sorts of these drugs just by going to a psychiatrist and tell them you are feeling depressed?

Darkmakaimura

Dont want to sound callous but im just truly curious. So you can get all sorts of these drugs just by going to a psychiatrist and tell them you are feeling depressed?
Pretty much, yes. I just have to fill out a short question here and I speak with the psychiatrist and they prescribe it.

In all honesty I'm not a big fan of antidepressants due to side effects and the fact that they pretty much rewire your brain but I'm in a predicament right now where I'm suffering from severe anxiety and severe depression.

FunkMiller

Effexor’s an SNRI, and works much the same as SSRIs. It’ll be beyond six weeks before you really notice any difference, and it’ll come in gradually, not all at once. It’s a newer type antidepressant, designed to have less side effects, so hopefully it’ll be good for you. Never miss a dose, and do not ever try to come off it without discussing it with your doctor!

I’ve been on low dose amitriptyline for years for my tinnitus (helps with sleep and tinnitus perception) but it also has improved my general sense of well being a bit.

Anti depressants are fine, provided they are taken as directed, and you also do other things to help you with the way you’re feeling.

Best of luck and keep us updated 👍

FunkMiller

My girlfriend takes it. If she misses a day or two she gets "brain zaps" which are supposedly pretty miserable. I don't understand why antidepressants like these are prescribed without first running the gamut of pills that don't torture you if you miss a day, let alone decide to get off them entirely. Also sex drive can plummet.

For anxiety and depression, there aren’t any other pills that do anything, without causing even bigger issues. The benzo class is incredibly addictive, and withdrawal is far worse than ADs.

My friend just started this a few weeks ago. Hated the initial side effects (couldn’t think straight. Tired. Stomach pains), but I think it’s starting to work and make a difference.

Darkmakaimura

Never miss a dose, and do not ever try to come off it without discussing it with your doctor!
This is what's always scared me about SSRI type medication and antidepressants. I have terrible anxiety as it is and when I hear things like this, it really scares me about that.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Not even a psychiatrist. Any pcp and will prescribe you something on demand (not narcotics).

Even if the doctor thinks that non pharmacological interventions (ie exercise, diet modifications) would be far better and healthier for you, when he's in court getting sued after patient goes on rampage or kills himself, the doctor saying he told the patient to try a "healthier" lifestyle might as well admitting gross negligence. That's why doctors are largely bound by the book (guidelines) in the States, but generally that's a good thing. But they always look at their practice through the lens of liability. There's just too much at stake

In other countries physicians might have those liberties, but not here. I digress

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This is what's always scared me about SSRI type medication and antidepressants. I have terrible anxiety as it is and when I hear things like this, it really scares me about that.

Don't worry. They're no worse than the other types. In fact, you're already on mirtazapine, which tends to be regarded as the worst one to miss doses of, or withdraw from.

But the main thing is millions of people take these pills every day, and they work for most. I once had a chat with a professor of psychiatric medicine who said that once antidepressants were invented, the rate that people had to be put into mental health hospitals plummeted 85%. The good far outweighs the bad. It's normally just a question of finding the right balance for you.

Darkmakaimura

Don't worry. They're no worse than the other types. In fact, you're already on mirtazapine, which tends to be regarded as the worst one to miss doses of, or withdraw from.

But the main thing is millions of people take these pills every day, and they work for most. I once had a chat with a professor of psychiatric medicine who said that once antidepressants were invented, the rate that people had to be put into mental health hospitals plummeted 85%. The good far outweighs the bad. It's normally just a question of finding the right balance for you.
I've missed doses of mirtazapine quite a few times and I never had any adverse effects. In fact mirtazapine seems like a pretty mild medication. I don't really notice any differences or changes since I took it other than when I first took it it made me very tired but it doesn't do that anymore for me.

I was on it for 3 years or so before moving to another drug

I found it even took away the joy in my life kinda list went numb indefinitely.
I was also on Venlafaxine for awhile and that stuff would make me numb inside. I've known a few people over the years, including myself that would get overwhelming homicidal thoughts, to the point of playing out in detail the violent acts in their heads over and over again.

I've tried a few different antidepressants over the years, but ultimately I didn't get on with any of them for one reason or another. I went cold turkey in the end and just turned my back on antidepressants. I think they're good short term, but not long term from my own experience. Exercise and 4000ui of vitamin D3 keep me functioning these days.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I've missed doses of mirtazapine quite a few times and I never had any adverse effects. In fact mirtazapine seems like a pretty mild medication. I don't really notice any differences or changes since I took it other than when I first took it it made me very tired but it doesn't do that anymore for me.

Ah well, you should be fine then. SNRIs are no worse than tetracyclics like mirt. In fact, they're newer and by all accounts better.

Macattk15

I was also on Venlafaxine for awhile and that stuff would make me numb inside. I've known a few people over the years, including myself that would get overwhelming homicidal thoughts, to the point of playing out in detail the violent acts in their heads over and over again.

I've tried a few different antidepressants over the years, but ultimately I didn't get on with any of them for one reason or another. I went cold turkey in the end and just turned my back on antidepressants. I think they're good short term, but not long term from my own experience. Exercise and 4000ui of vitamin D3 keep me functioning these days.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there might be something else wrong if you're getting overwhelming homicidal thoughts.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
For anxiety and depression, there aren’t any other pills that do anything, without causing even bigger issues. The benzo class is incredibly addictive, and withdrawal is far worse than ADs.
I was on Wellbutrin and Zoloft, neither of which had those kinds of side effects. Some antidepressants have nasty withdrawals and some don't.

H4ze

Ex-girlfriend had to take them. They made her more chill. Without them, her mood could completely change in a matter of seconds but unfortunately it always fucked up her sex drive for the worse. Being borderline sure does suck

Boozeroony

Been taking venlafaxine for almost 20 years now. Currently on 225mg.

Did it help? Hard to say. I'm feeling much better than 20 years ago, but mainly because I have been figuring myself out. I to quit multiple times, but the withdrawal is just too hard. I doubt my brain can funtion properly without, which sucks tbh.

Current research is much less positive about the effect of SSRIs/SNRIs compared to 20 years ago. If only I had the wisdom then, that i have now...

Cobaiye

I've been prescribed that almost a decade ago, effects took some weeks to appear after first taking it. I remember it totally stopped those moments where I felt really down. I stopped taking it when I discovered MDMA and didn't feel any withdrawal effects.

Gp1

I've been on Mirtazapine for extreme anxiety, depression and sleeping problema for 2-3 months after some real life changing events and never liked this kind of drug or psychiatrist in general.

I feel like the it cuts your emotional extremes. It kinda flats you out. But so far it helped me to think straight and solve what I have to solve but I can't wait to stop taking it.

Not feeling any side effects so far but seeing some of you guys taking this for years scare the shit out of me.

Last edited:

Ownage

Food for thought. Try hypertension medication like Candesartan and see if that doesn't remove anxiety. Or, for off label use to treat performance anxiety, Propranolol. Much of Hollywood or high profile public figures use the latter. I take it sometimes, and my mind feels calm but sharp as a knife. Zero anxiety, and I'm happier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom