• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM 216 - June 2007

ethelred said:
Neither am I.

And to anyone that is: seriously, chill out. We've had months worth of impressions on the game from ducky, from Aeana, from Sproks, from Jonny, from a dozen other people all raving about how good it is, and what's more, going into pretty exacting details as to why it's good.

People put too much weight on reviews.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't so much worried as confused, considering how highly people like duckroll and john tv rated it. Thus the low score in EGM comes as a bit of a surprise.

Of course, I hadn't thought of the fact that they simply don't like the genre.

Durante

ethelred said:
People put too much weight on reviews.
They put too much weight on reviews by gaming "journalists" in particular. And too little on impressions by people that actually enjoy the genre, or on deliberations on where their own taste lies compared to the group the reviewers in question have to service.

sangreal

Superfrog said:
Does that mean the review copy came in too late to make it in the current issue as a full review? If so, what's the "pre-verdict" of the wrap-up?

Yes, but they ARE doing a full review next month (though the game may be out by then), which is unusual for games featured in the wrap-ups.

The gist of the wrap-up was that the game is impressive and that everything is coming together right at the end of the project

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Capcom remaking the original Megaman for PSN

So basically, they would be trying to make back the money they lost on Mega Man Powered Up for PSP? Because I assume this would be like Powered Up HD. But hey, nothing wrong with that if it brings them some sales (and results in a Mega Man 2 remake).

SantaC said:
Dawn of Mana - 4.5/5.0/4.0

uh

Wouldn't surprise me if it's too high still. :lol

sangreal

I am working on posting the Good/Bad for each review so you don't have to guess why they hated every game

Just give me a few min

Yixian

Banned
*sigh* Kingdom Hearts 3 for Wii, how depressing...

Oh well, Disgea sounds nice and...

MEGAMAN REMAKE? Can this be right?

Busty

Banned
EGM said:
Next Kingdom Hearts game will be a spin-off that will appear on a "hearty console"

Surely common sense tells us it's going to be either the DS or Wii. But I don't really get the 'hearty' reference.

I thought hearty implied a large or perhaps warm-hearted and/or affectionate. If it's affection, could they mean the GBA?
I'm clearly reaching here...

EGM said:
Team Ninja working on PS3 exclusive DoA game

Is it just me, or are the Team Ninja and the Megaman PSN rumours not really that suprising? I just thought that once the gears (eventually) started turning on the PS3's developer support, the machine would start to get the titles it desperately needs.

For me the surprise of Team Ninja developing a PS3 Ninja Gaiden was the turning point. I expect the Ninja Gaiden sequel will be multi platform (or 360 timed exclusive at most.

Where did you get the idea that the spin off is coming to the Wii? Hearty means "substantial", "full" to me, and many don't think the Wii as a substantial console. It's coming to the 360 or the PS3.

Busty said:
Is it just me, or are the Team Ninja and the Megaman PSN rumours not really that suprising? I just thought that once the gears (eventually) started turning on the PS3's developer support, the machine would start to get the titles it desperately needs.

It's onyl surprising because TN has tried to put 2 DoA'S on PS systems and both times they got crushed by Tekkens that were released around the sametime.

pswii60

SolidSnakex said:
It's onyl surprising because TN has tried to put 2 DoA'S on PS systems and both times they got crushed by Tekkens that were released around the sametime.

Well the first DoA wasn't generally known in the mainstream for being a good game, but rather as "the game with the bouncing boobs".

The second DoA on PS2 was an inferior Dreamcast port.

If anything, I don't think this will be DoA 5 on PS3, but rather DoA Special Mix or something. I don't think we'll see DoA 5 for some time, and it'll likely be on 360 or at least multiplatform.

Project Progessive in the next ground-up next gen project I think we'll see.

Nolan.

sangreal said:
Oh snap, there is a Sakaguchi interview

"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi":lol

Will post the interesting bits in a few

Sakaguchi's very controversial iv'e never noticed it when he was working at Square. Anyway at least he's saying what he feels.

Busty

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

True. I'd be surprised if the DOA title is made for the ground up for the PS3 rather than just a redux.

Busty

Banned
pswii60 said:

What's Project Progessive? Is it an actual game or code for whatever they are doing next?

sangreal

Sorry, I forgot how useless these Good/Bad notes from EGM are, but here they are anyway:

PS2 Reviews
Dawn of Mana - 4.5/5.0/4.0
The Good: Looks and sounds like a classic Mana game
The Bad: Doesn't play anything like a classic Mana game
Mana's Last Hope: Heroes of Mana (DS)

Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm - 4.0/4.5/6.0
The Good: Optional Japanese voice track for the discerning game nerd
The Bad: About as fulfilling as a Twinkie sampler
Questionable Dialogue: "The grocery store is a woman's battlefield!"

.Hack//G.U Vol.2: Remininisce - 6.0/4.0/5.0
The Good: Still a decent RPG on a technical level
The Bad: But it's 30 more hours of the exact same stuff
Or You Could Watch: .hack//Roots, the anime version

DS Reviews
Etrian Odyssey - 8.0/4.0/6.0
The Good: Addicting "how far can you get?" premise
The Bad: Takes patience... lots of patience
The Whip-Wielding Warrior: A little too into S&M

Time Ace - 3.0/4.0/3.5
The Good: First and last missions are kinda cool
The Bad: The rest of the game
Unrelated To: Konami coin-op classic Time Pilot

PSP Reviews
Brooktown High - 4.0/5.5/5.0
The Good: A lot of original ideas
The Bad: All of which are half-assed-ly implemented
Why: Does kissing trigger random stock footage cut-scenes?

Coded Arms: Contagion - 7.0/4.0/5.0
The Good: The slick, stylish look
The Bad: The comically awful online play
Seriously: Online play may be the worst ever. Tell your friends

Xbox 360 Reviews
C&C 3 - 7.0/8.0/7.0 (GOTM)
The Good: Very streamlined, console-friendly interface
The Bad: ...but too fast-paced a game for that interface
Drunk: The ever circling A.I. pilots

Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - 4.5/4.0/4.0
The Good: Pretty good co-op with a few friends
The Bad: No fun otherwise
Really?: $60 for what should be an Xbox Live Arcade game

PS3 Reviews
F.E.A.R - 6.0/5.0/5.0
The Good: Great design, genuine frights, brilliant A.I.
The Bad: Almost embarrassing technical issues
Buy it: On Xbox 360 (or PC) instead

Matix

sangreal said:
th_70487_egm216_122_440lo.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3158897

Rumors
Capcom remaking the original Megaman for PSN

Oh **** yes!!

PA.55362.001.jpg

Now remake RM2 and put in on XBLA as well Capcom!!

pswii60 said:
Well the first DoA wasn't generally known in the mainstream for being a good game, but rather as "the game with the bouncing boobs".

The second DoA on PS2 was an inferior Dreamcast port.

If anything, I don't think this will be DoA 5 on PS3, but rather DoA Special Mix or something. I don't think we'll see DoA 5 for some time, and it'll likely be on 360 or at least multiplatform.

Was that DoA based action game ever confirmed for any specific system? They'd be better off putting that on the PS3 than putting an actual DoA game on it.

Durante

sangreal said:
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm - 4.0/4.5/6.0
The Good: Optional Japanese voice track for the discerning game nerd
The Bad: About as fulfilling as a Twinkie sampler
How... telling.
sangreal said:
Questionable Dialogue: "The grocery store is a woman's battlefield!"
Awesome!

sangreal said:
Etrian Odyssey - 8.0/4.0/6.0
The Good: Addicting "how far can you get?" premise
The Bad: Takes patience... lots of patience
The Whip-Wielding Warrior: A little too into S&M
See? Dungeon crawlers take patience. That's just the way it is.

Jammy

Banned
chibcicylist said:
Where did you get the idea that the spin off is coming to the Wii? Hearty means "substantial", "full" to me, and many don't think the Wii as a substantial console. It's coming to the 360 or the PS3.

Everybody in the world hearts the Wii. It seems nobody outside GAF hearts the PS3. :)

ethelred

Durante said:
See? Dungeon crawlers take patience. That's just the way it is.

See? Now do you see why we always tell you portable RPGs are awesome? It takes patience, so it's a huge plus that you can play it anywhere and anytime -- pop it open, play for a few minutes, then get back to it later.

Mrbob

SolidSnakex said:
Was that DoA based action game ever confirmed for any specific system? They'd be better off putting that on the PS3 than putting an actual DoA game on it.

I agree. After looking at Ninja Gaiden Xbox, action/adventure games seem to be Team Ninja's true calling anyway.

sangreal

Not much to this interview but I said I'd post the details...

Sakaguchi interview
-More praise for Gears of War
-His dream project is a surfing sim
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."
-Thinks Square Enix puts too much focus on FF/DQ
-Wii is intriguing but not working on any Wii games
-Goal with Cry On is to make the player cry every 15 minutes
-Microsoft's marketing sucks
-"When creating Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest wasn't on my mind. I was actually thinking about Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon is an extension of that game."
-"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi"

Mrbob said:
I agree. After looking at Ninja Gaiden Xbox, action/adventure games seem to be Team Ninja's true calling anyway.

You''d have 360 fans getting NG2 and PS3 fans getting that DoA action game.

Jammy

Banned
sangreal said:

Sakaguchi interview
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crecuial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."
-"When creating Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest wasn't on my mind. I was actually thinking about Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon is an extension of that game."

:lol

Is Blue Dragon anything like Chrono Trigger? I'm sure I'd really enjoy the game if it was, but the impressions thread that we had months back didn't make it seem like it.

Oh, and good luck with that Cry On thing.

LJ11

sangreal said:

Reminds of that Seinfeld episode, "Cry Cry Again."

Thanks for posting the details sangreal. He makes some good points.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
chibcicylist said:

Yeah that's the impression I got as well.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
sangreal said:

Sakaguchi interview
-"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi"

Dascu

sangreal said:
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crecuial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."

chibcicylist said:

Here's the definitions:

1. warm-hearted; affectionate; cordial; jovial: a hearty welcome.
2. genuine; sincere; heartfelt: hearty approval; hearty dislike.
3. completely devoted; wholehearted: hearty support.
4. exuberant; unrestrained: hearty laughter.
5. violent; forceful: a hearty push; a hearty kick.
6. physically vigorous; strong and well: hale and hearty.
7. substantial; abundant; nourishing: a hearty meal.
8. enjoying or requiring abundant food: a hearty appetite.
9. (of soil) fertile.
10. a brave or good fellow, esp. with reference to a shipmate.
11. a sailor.

So clearly the Kh spin off is coming to Dreamcast, the only system to feature sailors.

Durante

ethelred said:
See? Now do you see why we always tell you portable RPGs are awesome? It takes patience, so it's a huge plus that you can play it anywhere and anytime -- pop it open, play for a few minutes, then get back to it later.
Ha! That may be an argument if I didn't spend 80% of my free time at home :p.
In b4 "get a life!"
Also, if I actually did that in a dungeon crawler, I'd forget about what I was doing, the individual enemies' characteristics and in which direction I was developing my characters and would spend a lot of my time reorienting myself.

Nolan.

sangreal said:

Sakaguchi interview

Wonder why he ''doesn't like Kutaragi''. And it would seem he isn't the only one, poor ken. And FFXII isn't that bad. A shame he won't be working on the ps3 at least not anytime soon.

Durante said:
Ha! That may be an argument if I didn't spend 80% of my free time at home :p.
In b4 "get a life!"
Also, if I actually did that in a dungeon crawler, I'd forget about what I was doing, the individual enemies' characteristics and in which direction I was developing my characters and would spend a lot of my time reorienting myself.

Get a life.

I'm one to talk. :p

And you have to reorientate yourself after pausing in those sort of games? I never had that problem, or at least, not in recent memory.

Mrbob

Did Sakaguchi really say MS marketing sucks? Wow. :lol

SolidSnakex said:
You''d have 360 fans getting NG2 and PS3 fans getting that DoA action game.

Well I don't think Team Ninja would rebuild Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 for one game. ;) The age of exclusive 3rd party games are gone, and I expect to see Ninja Gaiden 2 on PS3 as well.

Prine

Banned
Sakaguchi jumping on Kutaragi. No messing about, he said it straight "i dont like Kutaragi", and this must of been said before Sony shifted managment around. Found it funny

Durante

Pureauthor said:
And you have to reorientate yourself after pausing in those sort of games? I never had that problem, or at least, not in recent memory.
Well, it obviously depends on the difficulty/complexity of the game and the length of the pause. But, for example, I recently replayed Persona 2 (on PC, with 16xAA, thanks ePSXe) and it was always hard to remember which dialog choices had which effect on some enemy after not playing for a while. So it would make much more sense to at least finish each dungeon in one session.

LJ11

Mrbob said:

He said it in a Gamespot interview a few months ago IIRC as well. It was in reference to their Japanese division.

sangreal

Mrbob said:
"Microsoft has to change its marketing strategy in Japan. There are a lot of excellent games on the 360, far better games than what's on the Wii or PS3. but not a lot of people in Japan have a clear idea what games like Gears of War are all about. Just look at the Windows Vista commercial -- it's terrible."

Top Bottom