• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Avixph

I bet Zelda is just gonna be a damsel this time around. T_T Goodbye strong female Link. You had a good run, led a good life. You'll always be canon in my heart, as long as it isn't weird.

Some community site. I'm willing to believe them on this. They'll get in a shitton of internet trouble if they're lying.

How would you have known that?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo seems keen to attract female players to The Legend of Zelda series and Link having slight feminine traits seems like an obvious decision, and one I support.

Twilight Princess' tone was geared towards more male players; Nintendo want the best of both worlds for the next iteration and I can't blame them.

You know, he never explicitly said that the horse's name isn't Link....

Let's cause a second uproar that prompts him to respond AGAIN.
He trolls us, we troll him!

It seems that some of you wanted Link to be female for perverse ulterior motives.
zWVbK.gif

And some people don't need Rule 63 to do that.

Not

Banned
I was depressed because of another cartoon Zelda, but now I feel happy because things could get worst. Aonuma is not that crazy....XD

Worse, huh. Crazy, huh. Just the fact that the "Link can only be male" crowd is so relieved is making my skin crawl.

There was a chance!

Ugh.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It seems that some of you wanted Link to be female for perverse ulterior motives.
zWVbK.gif
Not at all. I legitimately think/thought (until super confirmed, let me dream dammit), Nintendo could make waves and move forward some aspects of gaming with a female Link. It also would have opened up quite a few alternative storylines that we've never really seen them or anyone else attempt before. I would've been interested in that version of Legend of Zelda nearly by default. But, I mean, if it's just gonna be same 'ole Zelda, I think I'll just keep my money in my wallet and borrow my friends copy to play on my WiiU that I'm going to buy when Splatoon (Squidborne) comes out. Just color me disappointed for the very core of Zelda being shaken up a bit, though that's quite a high expectation in the first place, but just the kind of thing to get someone who's not generally interested in Zelda to give it another chance.
How would you have known that?
I don't. I'm just being salty cause my tears are getting in my mouth. Hell, I would've been fine if Link in the trailer was actually a badass Zelda. T'was not meant to be though.
Link could represent me more with a detailed creation screen... Just sayin.
My little sisters are instantly attracted to most games you can play as a female. Should let ability for Link to be female so they can be represented. Since Link is supposed to be a representation of the player. Apparently.

Oh god. I'm getting more and more salty. I'm just gonna leave before uhhh... yeah. See ya' in the morning ZeldaGAF.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
"I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game," he said.
"I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."
Link could represent me more with a detailed creation screen... Just sayin.

Not

Banned
(until super confirmed, let me dream dammit)

This for me too. Waiting for more confirmation, or a larger outlet. I'll keep it alive until I can't anymore.

When people posted the photoshopped green tunic on the new Link, because they can't even handle the costume change...

argh. I'm gonna vomit.

I hope that this makes Aonuma more interested in strong, playable female characters.

Rather than being discouraged from making androgynous male characters.

CronoShot

This for me too. Waiting for more confirmation, or a larger outlet. I'll keep it alive until I can't anymore.

When people posted the photoshopped green tunic on the new Link, because they can't even handle the costume change...

argh. I'm gonna vomit.

...pretty sure that wasn't the reason.

Also noteworthy to me is how he indeed had an interview about the fan theories between this confirmation and the remark that started the whole thing, where he said he found the comments on the internet interesting.

If he wanted to stop people from focusing on Link that much, he could have stopped it much sooner. I didn't even have my physiology post up at that point (I still want to see someone convince me that, physiologically, this Link is an late teen/adult male; I'm talking proving my points in the mega-post wrong beyond "creative license").

Partition

Banned
That 'MMGN' article seems really sketchy and click-baity. It doesn't sound worded like Aonuma would have said it.

"I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game," he said.
"I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."

That 'MMGN' article seems really sketchy and click-baity. It doesn't sound worded like Aonuma would have said it.

When I first heard it, I was doubtful because it wasn't being passed along anywhere else.

I attributed it to it being put up at such an odd hour, but you never know.

... Do you suppose it's a P4RGaming kind of deal (satire, joke site, etc.)?

Mistle

MMGN is a legit website, a friend of mine seems to know the writer of that article (saw him/the writer discussing it on FB). It's Australian, perhaps explaining the odd hour.

ramyeon

When I first heard it, I was doubtful because it wasn't being passed along anywhere else.

I attributed it to it being put up at such an odd hour, but you never know.

... Do you suppose it's a P4RGaming kind of deal (satire, joke site, etc.)?
It's not an odd hour here in Australia (It's an Australian site).

And it doesn't seem to be a satire site, all the other news is perfectly legit.

Karkador

Banned
Wow, you guys give up so easily.

Honestly, I don't think Aonuma has anything set in stone. He wants to experiment; he has said as much. He said "I never said it was Link" as an off-hand comment about the expectations of conventions in a Zelda reveal.

and there was this (from a more reputable source, at that):

Eiji Aonuma: That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.

Either he wants to be coy about it, or they don't have it in stone yet.

It's possible for him to make a comment that he then wants to redact because people are getting ahead of themselves and taking it as a confirmation. The speculation probably has gotten ahead of itself, but there's too many things out of place about that character to simply say "yep, it's just Link".

Not

Banned

This is what I'm thinking. I think the confirmation bias goes the other way, too. Everybody was ready to be proven otherwise, even from a site no one's heard of with sketchy, convenient sounding quotes that sweep all of Aonuma's prior comments away.

MMGN is a legit website, a friend of mine seems to know the writer of that article (saw him/the writer discussing it on FB). It's Australian, perhaps explaining the odd hour.

This is huge news. Maybe someone could inform the author he needs more corroboration from other sources, or something a little more substantial?
The whole interview, perhaps?

If it's absolutely, definitely Link, why would he be right-handed in the trailer?

Doesn't seem like something that would be overlooked.

I find that MMGN article really fishy.

Mistle

The site is legit, guys. Come on. Also, apparently there's "40 more minutes of that interview to transcribe (although a lot of that time is translating between English and Japanese)."

Heard this from my friend Josh, talking on FB with Ben Salter (the author of that article). And just incase Josh reads this, hi! :p

Five

Banned
If it's absolutely, definitely Link, why would he be right-handed in the trailer?

If motion controls play a role (optional or mandatory), it's going to be right-handed. The margin on handedness is too far right.

Dice//

Banned
Worse, huh. Crazy, huh. Just the fact that the "Link can only be male" crowd is so relieved is making my skin crawl.

100%.

19 incarnations of a leading male Link in, and the idea of changing any part of those things is causing so much headache and debate.

It's not an odd hour here in Australia (It's an Australian site).

And it doesn't seem to be a satire site, all the other news is perfectly legit.

So how little it's being passed around as far as I can tell, combined with how Aonuma had an interview where he said, "I am hoping people continue to comment [about the character seen in the trailer], and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean."

He knew about the gender speculation ("Another interesting comment I've heard, quite frequently actually, is that, 'Oh Link's a woman. Link is female now.'") but didn't stop it. If he was as insistent that fans not focus on Link as the MMGN article indicates, I don't see why he wouldn't have ended the speculation then and there. It would have prevented a whole lot of disappointment from what was a joke according to the MMGN article. When the Gameinformer interview went up, I hadn't even made my mega-post yet!

Partition

Banned
The site is legit, guys. Come on. Also, apparently there's "40 more minutes of that interview to transcribe (although a lot of that time is translating between English and Japanese)."

Heard this from my friend Josh, talking on FB with Ben Salter (the author of that article). And just incase Josh reads this, hi! :p

I would still need it to be reported by a more well known reputable site for me to believe it. Or some audio of the interview.

If motion controls play a role (optional or mandatory), it's going to be right-handed. The margin on handedness is too far right.

They've already said in the past that they won't use motion controls for combat.

SkyOdin

The strange thing is that handedness has nothing to do with how you hold a bow. It is based on eye-dominance. Even in Skyward Sword, where they made Link right-handed, he still held the bow just like he did in OoT and GC Twilight Princess. Why would they suddenly reverse it for a new game, even if it had no impact on motion controls? It just seems strange to be inconsistent about that detail in this one case.

Wow, you guys give up so easily.

Honestly, I don't think Aonuma has anything set in stone.

He probably has. Something like the main character has likely been settled for a long time and the game started development in early 2013. That was when Aonuma announced the game's existence and he has mentioned development progress reports a few times since then.

Every time he's talked about shaking things up, it's always been from a structural perspective - the aforementioned Nintendo Direct had slides about the exact same things he said when introducing this title. Doesn't seem like he ever considered changing up Link as part of this.

Then again, he always could, if he wanted to. There just isn't really a lot of evidence supporting that he's considering it - and similarly, a dearth of evidence that he's not.

With Nintendo, it's always better to assume no changes. Aonuma's a pretty conservative producer and I've yet to see a lot of evidence he's recovered from the critical harpooning his rogue takes on the series suffered more than a decade ago.

Not

Banned

Some people (me) are just going to need a little bit more. Hopes were too high, lol. It makes sense the wording might be a result of the translation (if it was done by an unofficial translator). Is there any way the author can tweet or something to give us anything else about the issue?

Five

Banned
They've already said in the past that they won't use motion controls for combat.

Have they said explicitly that it won't be an option? A lot of people seem to like them. Twilight Princess plays just as well with the GC pad as Wii Remote in my experience, so it occurs to me that the option might be given.

The strange thing is that handedness has nothing to do with how you hold a bow. It is based on eye-dominance. Even in Skyward Sword, where they made Link right-handed, he still held the bow just like he did in OoT and GC Twilight Princess. Why would they suddenly reverse it for a new game, even if it had no impact on motion controls? It just seems strange to be inconsistent about that detail in this one case.

A fair point. Though eye-dominance and handedness are usually connected. Maybe it was a mistake previously? Maybe it works better with their new animation system? For example, if the new bow is used for multiple things, like the rope arrows in Tomb Raider, maybe it makes more sense there to have the dominant hand be the draw hand.

I still stand by the idea that the MMGN article and the Game Informer article don't seem to line up with each other. In the GI article it comes off as though he thoroughly enjoys (or at least is interested in) the female protagonist theory, while the MMGN article makes it sound like he wants to end it as soon as possible, despite the MMGN article coming out after the GI one.

abrack08

Link was right handed in the last two 3D Zeldas because of motion controls. Could mean a return of motion controls, or they just decided not to keep flip flopping and make him a righty.

Top Bottom