• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes | Review Thread

The problem is that one might as well just skip most Japanese games, since they all get very liberal translations.
I can stomach minor liberal changes here and there, especially if they're out of necessity, but a lot of these are blatant rewrites that completely alter the original context of dialogue and character personalities.

Last edited:

Labadal

I can stomach minor liberal changes here and there, especially if they're out of necessity, but a lot of these are blatant rewrites that completely alter the original context of dialogue and character personalities.
Unfortunately, true.

Same happened with Unicorn Overlord. Still loved the game, but it's a crappy situation.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

A bit lower than I expected, though reading through the review none of the negatives sound too bad for me. Though it definitely seems worth it to wait for a patch or two.

I'm pretty sure I can choose the Japanese language with English Subtitles

I think that the Engilish Subtitles from the Japanese Dub is much more accurate

Might be wrong though

I'd be surprised if many (or any) games change their entire translation based on which voices you choose. Maybe for a few animated scenes or something like that, but certainly not for all the regular text based dialogue.

I distinctly remember many JRPG's having this slightly annoying thing where a character has their name changed in the dub, and if you play with Japanese voices they will say one name but the subtitles (which are based on the dub) will say another.

A bit lower than I expected, though reading through the review none of the negatives sound too bad for me. Though it definitely seems worth it to wait for a patch or two.

I'd be surprised if many (or any) games change their entire translation based on which voices you choose. Maybe for a few animated scenes or something like that, but certainly not for all the regular text based dialogue.

I distinctly remember many JRPG's having this slightly annoying thing where a character has their name changed in the dub, and if you play with Japanese voices they will say one name but the subtitles (which are based on the dub) will say another.

Oh yeah where the subtitles is different from what the English is being spoken

That's common in anime

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh yeah where the subtitles is different from what the English is being spoken

That's common in anime

Yeah pretty much, but it's usually the subtitle is different from the japanese being spoken (because the subtitle is the same as the dub, and not a separate translation).
Like Xenoblade 2 is full of it because they changed the name of a lot of characters. So for example if you play with Japanese voices everyone will say "Homura" but the subtitles say "Pyra"

You mean the reviewers who gave Unicorn Overlord 88 Open critic, or FF VII Rebirth a 93, Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth 90, Octopath 2 85, Dragon’s Dogma 2 87……

Seems like most recent JRPGs are getting pretty generous reviews.

I mean those are all great games tho, right? Well, imo DD2 has way too many issues to be rated that highly but all the others yes. Also, Persona 3 Reload

This is def the year of the jrpg

Shouta

It was a little more common in anime since you could would do a subtitle track and a closed caption track but it's pretty uncommon in games because of the sheer size. I can't even think of an example actually.

I took a look at the thread posted above and the translation in the game is mostly fine. I would say there's a few things that shouldn't have been done that way but most of it is definitely not out of line.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I mean those are all great games tho, right? Well, imo DD2 has way too many issues to be rated that highly but all the others yes. Also, Persona 3 Reload

This is def the year of the jrpg
Yeah, I’ve been part of the JRPG community for 30 years now (jeez I’m old) and this “western reviewers give bad scores to JRPGs” meme has always been around and it’s always been wrong. If anything western reviewers have been overly generous to JRPGs.

Just learned that on console there's no option to turn off depth of field effect that everyone hates in this game ..

What in the actual fuck is wrong with devs today to not think to include that option?

Keep seeing this kind of issue pop up I'm games lately whether it's this or no CA/film grain options on console while it's there on PC ..

Also, don't know if this is confirmed, but some people saying it's 1080p on ps5 right now while sx is 4k ...if so I thi no that'll get patched but still

Last edited:

Barakov

They just had to throw Chud in there, didn't they?
NeNgnEl.png

Pallas

To be fair, they’re keeping with traditions of having fucked translations like they had in the Suikoden games(this is sarcasm, if it wasn’t noticeable, please fix these issues. 👏)

Davevil

Nothing to complain about this translation for someone who played the original Suikoden 2 officially translated into Italian, one of the worst jobs ever done

• Thoughtful

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Whelp! Had the PS5 version pre-ordered from a week or so back. Was supposed to arrive today. Now there is no status ('We'll send you an email when we have a shipping update") and the store page says out of stock. BS. So, I just cancelled the order, paid $10 for Gamepass and downloaded the 4K version this morning. Probably for the best.

Kilau

Is there a way to play this on PC without the horrid localization, and why is the Xbox version rated lower?

After seeing these, the game is definitely a pass for me.

Man, these modern culturalizers just can't help themselves when it comes to the butchering and infantilization of Japanese video games.

Why even change "rich lady" to "that yelly lady"... which sounds more like a botched translation.

"Rub-a-dub-dub, don't be a flub".

bye.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why even change "rich lady" to "that yelly lady"... which sounds more like a botched translation.

"Rub-a-dub-dub, don't be a flub".

bye.
Are these lines just text? Or voice acted?

If it’s just text then it’s fucking awful.

If it’s some hyper cheerful squeaky-voiced VA saying “rub-a-dub-dub, don’t be a flub” then I feel almost nauseous just thinking about it. Appalling.

Deerock71

Does it run better or worse than say Ni no Kuni on the Switch? Really want this game but the performance issues were always a bit worrisome. Ni no Kuni was rough in parts on the Switch too but perfectly playable.
Playing pre-patch, I'd say it's about the same, honestly.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Q. Is the localization perfect?
A. No.

Q. Are people overreacting to it?
A. Absolutely.

Lian might be more annoying than she should be, but every localization example provided so far is so inconsequential that I don't know why people care. If you hadn't heard or seen the Japanese version you wouldn't have anything to complain about, and nothing that I have seen has been a major change that modifies the story or the characters in any meaningful way.

Example 1:

Japanese: Oh? You've got a lens too, Nowa?
English: You've got a lens, Nowa?

These are functionally identical phrases, and including this in a mistranslation post just shows how pedantic people are being.

Example 2:

Japanese: There, you could see it for a moment, right?
English: There! Did you see the glint?

Again, the same meaning is conveyed. The English version is just being a bit more specific regarding what is being seen (the glint).

I agree that adding stuff (e.g. rub-a-dub-dub, suck-my-chub) is pointless, and I would say that makes Lian more annoying (and therefore, unlikeable), but I don't see how it's worth complaining about when it isn't changing anything of importance. Especially since Lian is still kind of annoying in the Japanese version.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nice scores, and free on gamepass too.

Sorry, couldn't help myself! 😅

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The fact that this was crowdsourced worried me from the start, and to be honest what I have seen doesn't look super great. This is coming from an old-ass Suikoden 1/2 fan.

Top Bottom