• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Yahzi

Neo Member
You know what's sad? Trying to google your way to a location in Elden Ring and you still can't get there. :( I don't know how to get into the Academy - I've tried looking for the damned glintstone key. I fought the glintstone dragon and when I got him to within 10% of his health he just disappeared. But after searching I can't find any key. It's frustrating me.

DelireMan7

You know what's sad? Trying to google your way to a location in Elden Ring and you still can't get there. :( I don't know how to get into the Academy - I've tried looking for the damned glintstone key. I fought the glintstone dragon and when I got him to within 10% of his health he just disappeared. But after searching I can't find any key. It's frustrating me.
If my memory is correct, you don't need to kill the dragon. The key is on a corpse , just next the dragon spot.

Yahzi

Neo Member
If my memory is correct, you don't need to kill the dragon. The key is on a corpse , just next the dragon spot.
Yes but I don't know where that spot was. :D I moved on to other areas so I can't pinpoint that location anymore. It's somewhere .... but I don't know where. :(

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes but I don't know where that spot was. :D I moved on to other areas so I can't pinpoint that location anymore. It's somewhere .... but I don't know where. :(
It’s right beside a rock forms in the north part of the lake. You can miss it as the dragon is sleeping right infront of it.

Yahzi

Neo Member
There is another one you can get in Raya that is needed for a quest too
Funnily enough I managed to find a secret entrance into the Academy but it's a tiny little section where I looted a corpse ... and that was it. No where else to go but through the main entrance.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm being owned like crazy. I have the Blood hound sword at +4 - strength at 24, Dex at 26, Vitality at 32, mind and intelligence is at 9 both.

I went to Bestial Sanctum, I tried fighting the Black Winged Soldier demon. And my weapon attacks barely did any damage at all. Two swipes of his weapon and I was destroyed. Heck, his weapon also has a beam that basically almost one shots me.

It feels hopeless right now. Like I don't know if I need to buff my weapon or something. I'm not an expert souls player, but everything is so complicated to me.
Don't be afraid to respec--the game gives plenty of items to make it viable. I think I wound respec'ing 3 or 4 times across the base game to NG+3.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Anyone got a good shield recommendation? I want a 100% physical shield that isn’t too heavy. Currently using the inverted hawk heater sheild

Anyone got a good shield recommendation? I want a 100% physical shield that isn’t too heavy. Currently using the inverted hawk heater sheild
The best pound for pound is Brass Shield dropped by most soldiers. On the high end of stamina conservation the same can be said of the Golden Greatshield, but to get it you need to farm Leyndell knights. Earliest one is by the artist shack in Liurnia.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
The best pound for pound is Brass Shield dropped by most soldiers. On the high end of stamina conservation the same can be said of the Golden Greatshield, but to get it you need to farm Leyndell knights. Earliest one is by the artist shack in Liurnia.
Got mine randomly and it was my shield the entire way through my first save. I wasn't parrying so I put No Skill on it and that was that.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have 4 of them it turns out lol.

Is it worth upgrading shields? I assume it’s only a poise increase?

Fake

Through a cave near where the key to the academy is

I don't remember other entrace for the Academy. If my memory don't fail, there is just a treasure chest after you fight a boss with a socery skill. You not necessary enter the academy, just the territory.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't remember other entrace for the Academy. If my memory don't fail, there is just a treasure chest after you fight a boss with a socery skill. You not necessary enter the academy, just the territory.
That's the one. If there's another and I haven't heard about it after 1000 hours and having seen many challenge runs, I don't deserve to know

Fake

That's the one. If there's another and I haven't heard about it after 1000 hours and having seen many challenge runs, I don't deserve to know

Is there a video explaining? Because I went there and there is no entrance.

As you use the lift, this give you an ilusion of you entering into the Academy. The dungeon is indeed the place you mention I can confirm.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
So I found mohg by pure luck… then found a paassage behind him (thank you messengers)… that leads to hole, with a door, and then another way to the deep root depths. Is that it?

it feels like I’m missing something. Isn’t moghs place where we enter the dlc supposedly?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Now I killed a big dragon in fias dream I think? I’m now lost.

Also, blasphemous blade worth it? I’d need to respec to use it (how do I do that ?)

Last edited:
So I found mohg by pure luck… then found a paassage behind him (thank you messengers)… that leads to hole, with a door, and then another way to the deep root depths. Is that it?

it feels like I’m missing something. Isn’t moghs place where we enter the dlc supposedly?
No, this shade is a fragment of him. He is in a secluded palace that can only be arrived at by teleporting in from waygate in Consecrated Snowfield or following White Mask Varre ("maidenless" twat originally at the First Step) quest.
Now I killed a big dragon in fias dream I think? I’m now lost.

Also, blasphemous blade worth it? I’d need to respec to use it (how do I do that ?)
100% worth it if you like greatswords with power. To respec you must beat the boss of Raya Lucaria Academy in Liurnia and provide one Larval Tear at the location of the encounter.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
No, this shade is a fragment of him. He is in a secluded palace that can only be arrived at by teleporting in from waygate in Consecrated Snowfield or following White Mask Varre ("maidenless" twat originally at the First Step) quest.

100% worth it if you like greatswords with power. To respec you must beat the boss of Raya Lucaria Academy in Liurnia and provide one Larval Tear at the location of the encounter.
Good to know.

FYI. Malikieth or whatever his name is… sucks.

Honestly, it doesn’t feel like I have a build. Just points in columns. I did a cruddy job there

Last edited:
Good to know.

FYI. Malikieth or whatever his name is… sucks.

Honestly, it doesn’t feel like I have a build. Just points in columns. I did a cruddy job there
My first time through I had about 30 in every stat and used talismans and gear to make up the difference for the rest.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Is there a video explaining? Because I went there and there is no entrance.

As you use the lift, this give you an ilusion of you entering into the Academy. The dungeon is indeed the place you mention I can confirm.
No you're absolutely right, it only takes you to the roof--it's not an entrance

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Think I had another productive night. Beat mohg, Astal, the dragon at the end of rannis stuff, and got 2 more great ruins. Still can’t beat malikieth though…

Thinking of respecing for the dark moon great sword.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Last night got better still. Beat Malikeith, Godfrey, the boss from the table, and the knight blocking the second half of the secret medallion. Got to the consecrated snow grounds and am looking around.

It’s amazing how much stuff is hidden in plain sight. The one divine tower with two runes was something I walked right past like 3 times without seeing the entrance.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Guys, I have somewhat of a noob question.

Is it recommended or necessary to bump up your scaling attributes more than what is actually needed to wield a weapon? I mean, each weapon gets the much bigger damage bump from the smithing, right?

winjer

Gold Member
Guys, I have somewhat of a noob question.

Is it recommended or necessary to bump up your scaling attributes more than what is actually needed to wield a weapon? I mean, each weapon gets the much bigger damage bump from the smithing, right?

No. Just get the base attributes that you need for the weapon.
Then look at the stats. One of the things it has is scaling. From best to worst: S-A-B-C-D-E.
Put points on the attributes that have the best scaling.
Ideally we want weapons that scale well with 1 or 2 attributes, that have good scaling.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No. Just get the base attributes that you need for the weapon.
Then look at the stats. One of the things it has is scaling. From best to worst: S-A-B-C-D-E.
Put points on the attributes that have the best scaling.
Ideally we want weapons that scale well with 1 or 2 attributes, that have good scaling.
Yeah, but doesn’t that just end up making all the weapons you find later in the game unusable? I’m still running around with my starter sword because I focused on the stats it scales with for a long time and hence I never find a new weapon that is better for my build. Found some cool new swords but they are simply out of my reach because I focused on strength and dex and they require arkane and wisdom. It doesn’t make any sense. Like game wants me to reset my stats just to use a new weapon…

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, but doesn’t that just end up making all the weapons you find later in the game unusable? I’m still running around with my starter sword because I focused on the stats it scales with for a long time and hence I never find a new weapon that is better for my build. Found some cool new swords but they are simply out of my reach because I focused on strength and dex and they require arkane and wisdom. It doesn’t make any sense. Like game wants me to reset my stats just to use a new weapon…

When you finnish Ray Lucaria, you get the option to respec.

winjer

Gold Member
I know. But is that really the point? Respec for each new weapon you like? I thought that maybe I’m not really getting something…

You benefit a lot from scaling, by specializing. Spending points on traits that don't scale well, means you will lose damage.
Besides, switching weapons also requires a ton of materials for upgrades.

I know. But is that really the point? Respec for each new weapon you like? I thought that maybe I’m not really getting something…
The point is dependent on whether it is your first rodeo. First playthrough you will likely be a Jack of All Trades and use talismans, clothing, Great Runes, and Flask of Wondorous Physique to try most weapons. The ones that you find visually appealing and useful will get most of the upgardes. In later playthroughs or if you hit a wall you can respec. There are Mining Bells that can be given to twin maiden husks in Roundtable Hold to make upgrade materials infinitely available (with the exception of final upgrade material). The amount needed to upgrade is easily afforded by farming the one bird under the cliff by Mogwyn Palace Approach site of grace.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The point is dependent on whether it is your first rodeo. First playthrough you will likely be a Jack of All Trades and use talismans, clothing, Great Runes, and Flask of Wondorous Physique to try most weapons. The ones that you find visually appealing and useful will get most of the upgardes. In later playthroughs or if you hit a wall you can respec. There are Mining Bells that can be given to twin maiden husks in Roundtable Hold to make upgrade materials infinitely available (with the exception of final upgrade material). The amount needed to upgrade is easily afforded by farming the one bird under the cliff by Mogwyn Palace Approach site of grace.
First Rodeo? Mate, this is a 150+ hour game and I am playing this with a map and guides… As much as I love this game, there is no way I’m playing it again.

BlueAlpaca

Stupid question, check out this video at 2:45 please:

He gets to that area by a glitch, but is that the only way? That place drove me crazy, there are descending platforms from that dead-end path and I always that I was missing a teleport or something. Comments say they patched it. He mentions a smithing stone loot too, I didn't see it, was it a mistake and they patched it out too? Weird.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Can you miss Alexander’s quest? I’m trying to get the shard but can’t find him. I met him at the first location a long time ago I remember but that’s it. He fought with with me at radahn but now I can’t find him anywhere.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Stupid question, check out this video at 2:45 please:

He gets to that area by a glitch, but is that the only way? That place drove me crazy, there are descending platforms from that dead-end path and I always that I was missing a teleport or something. Comments say they patched it. He mentions a smithing stone loot too, I didn't see it, was it a mistake and they patched it out too? Weird.

There's only one legitimate way into FA, but wrong warps are common

Can you miss Alexander’s quest? I’m trying to get the shard but can’t find him. I met him at the first location a long time ago I remember but that’s it. He fought with with me at radahn but now I can’t find him anywhere.
His possible locations from when you saw him:
By the Radahn bonfire
Mountaintops in the lava after the Wyrm (by the (fort where there's a battle going on)
Possibly just FA after that, I may have forgotten one though

winjer

Gold Member

He is probably still in the arena where you fought Radahn. Check around the site of grace. He should be behind it, maybe 10 meters to one side.

TheStam

Godskin Noble. I'm going for a certain very talked about sword and this fat bastard is in the way. Definitely the most challenging enemy so far, even if I do sleeping pots and am at a good level for it. I just need to get back at it, but this game really tests my quite limited patience at times.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There's only one legitimate way into FA, but wrong warps are common

His possible locations from when you saw him:
By the Radahn bonfire
Mountaintops in the lava after the Wyrm (by the (fort where there's a battle going on)
Possibly just FA after that, I may have forgotten one though
This was it. Tough one to find

Soodanim

Gold Member
Godskin Noble. I'm going for a certain very talked about sword and this fat bastard is in the way. Definitely the most challenging enemy so far, even if I do sleeping pots and am at a good level for it. I just need to get back at it, but this game really tests my quite limited patience at times.
All Godskins are annoying bosses until you learn them and how to play around their flaws (I still maintain that roll is ridiculously long), but there are ways to cheese:

1. Sleep (pot, torch, sword)
2. Poison cloud (won't wake him)
3. Rot (pots, breath, whatever)
4. Sleep again
5. Wait for double ticks to do their thing
6. Get in a critical attack just before the end of the sleep
7. Repeat

And of course use obstructions when he goes Limp Bizkit. At the back of the room is a good one, but pillars will do the trick as well.

There are also ways to force certain attacks if you're a parry god.

TheStam

All Godskins are annoying bosses until you learn them and how to play around their flaws (I still maintain that roll is ridiculously long), but there are ways to cheese:

1. Sleep (pot, torch, sword)
2. Poison cloud (won't wake him)
3. Rot (pots, breath, whatever)
4. Sleep again
5. Wait for double ticks to do their thing
6. Get in a critical attack just before the end of the sleep
7. Repeat

And of course use obstructions when he goes Limp Bizkit. At the back of the room is a good one, but pillars will do the trick as well.

There are also ways to force certain attacks if you're a parry god.

Thanks for the tips. I am certainly not a parry god of any kind, but I guess stacking status effects would make sense.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Anyone got a recommendation for armor? I’ve been using the raging wolf set, which is great imo but the poise is a bit low. Anyone have an idea on a replacement? I just want to get poise over 50

winjer

Gold Member
Anyone got a recommendation for armor? I’ve been using the raging wolf set, which is great imo but the poise is a bit low. Anyone have an idea on a replacement? I just want to get poise over 50

Check the Royal Remains Set, it's at Ensha shop.

Have you faced Commander Niall? After that you can get the Veteran’s Set.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you want function, the important poise breakpoints are 51 and 101. That's when you're going to notice a difference to attack interruptions. Maybe a ring to boost the poise would help you get that little bit more.

Outside of that, you only need to consider fashion, weight, and stat boosts/special effects. There's one late game piece I frequently use because it silences movement, but it's not built for poise.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
got to Melanie last night. Summoned some dude name “let me solo her”. And he did, was amazing to watch. Some players are so much better than me it’s not even funny.

Any ways, fought Elden beast and got it about half down.

I’m going to respec for the dark moon great sword today and try it.

got to Melanie last night. Summoned some dude name “let me solo her”. And he did, was amazing to watch. Some players are so much better than me it’s not even funny.

Any ways, fought Elden beast and got it about half down.

I’m going to respec for the dark moon great sword today and try it.
Huh, I thought he'd retired.

Top Bottom