• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree likely to solve DLC overleveling problem

Bartski

Gold Member
TL : DR the additional stat/variable working "similar to attack power in sekiro" could be a way to scale existing attack power against the shadow realm.

This is mostly speculation at this point, but if true praise the sun lord of boundless genius his holyness Miazaki for solving to the neverending issue with ARPG DLCs, where players are likely to be going in way overleveled, robbing themselves of the experience of facing truly challenging end game content.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not sure what problem there is?

They said the entry point to the DLC is Miquella’s cocoon in Mohgwyn’s Palace. That means you have to beat Mohg, Lord of Blood who is a late game boss.

Even at very high levels (120+), Mohg can still fuck you up. If the DLC bosses scale at or above him, they’ll require the player to be at around the same level as the end game.

Bartski

Gold Member
level scaling may be an issue for faith build, faith build is ass.
so level sceling is a very unfortunate term here... more like an enemy defense stat you might have to level against in the DLC area or sth else. Check the video, breaks it down rather nice accroding to latest interviews with the man

Kindela

Banned
Do we know the recommended level range for the DLC? I can't remember mine, but I tend to gimp myself with crappy leveling so I'm not afraid of being OP.

Bartski

Gold Member
Do we know the recommended level range for the DLC? I can't remember mine, but I tend to gimp myself with crappy leveling so I'm not afraid of being OP.
that's kind of the point, could be no such thing. End game-iesh 120-150 but then altered by this additional mechanic to balance out challenge regardless.

I have my arcane ninja character level 195 at the final boss of NG+. I launched the game yesterday and having no clue what I'm doing after a year of not touching the game I killed 2 dragons in the moonlight altar area fighting both at once. That kind of sucks, I was worried I might be in position to either start from scratch or completely steamroll this DLC and I'm stoked to hear that might be very far from true.

Fake

Bloodborne already had a scaling system, so I can't understand why this is new.

Is even recommended playing Bloodborne DLC in a fresh new save because of that.

Saber

Gold Member
Its clear speculation, like you said. I speculate that they instead gonna use a level cap system.
And as far I remember, the game has level scaling. Its just that scales almost nothing at the start and harder at later levels, the inverse of Bloodborne.

Mephisto40

I wish we would just start over, naked, no items, no stats.

ctVeTjy.png

j0hnnix

Gold Member
If this ends up being true, oof, ill be lost. I really need to jump back in after 1+ year from playing the orig.

Last edited:

killatopak

Level scaling should be in every game. It’s universally loved mechanic.
Huh?!

Level scaling on an absolute scale sucks ass. Oblivion suffered from this and Bethesda knows this so they toned it down in Skyrim to provide limits in maximum and minimum per location. Even then, it still sucked. Just a bit less. Another issue is loot. Scaling enemies means scaled loot which sucks the enjoyment of looting and just promotes power levelling.

Level scaling isn’t an instant win like you think it is.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
In other words, they’re doubling down on the cheapness and everyone is happy.
When Miyazaki retires from games he should start a school for presidency candidates.

DelireMan7

Honestly I never felt overleveled (against main bosses) in Elden Ring even after doing almost everything.

And it was never an issue on previous Soulsborne except if you farmed XP (or go to NG+)

Guilty_AI

Still sounds like a cheap solution tbh. RPG-increase-numbers mechanics just don't work well with open world "go wherever you want" types of games.

Elden Ring sort of managed that by making clear demarcations between different areas and the order you should tackle them, but problems like these are just a sign developers need to come up with different progression systems.

Last edited:

hlm666

Is this really a problem? People seemed to struggle with the hunter/wolf fight and sister frieda? in the DS3 DLC even with levels over 300.

edit: oh and the double demon fight in the other dlc.

Last edited:
Noooo

Let me break the game with my 165 level character

For real, I suck so by the time I got to the endgame I had essentially ground myself up to 178 or thereabouts.

Old Hunters was like this already. I was significantly overleveled for the base game, and I remember being a bit shocked when the first hunter I encountered killed me in two hits.
At least this time I’ll have Ashes for when the ball kicking gets too frustrating.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I've finished the game twice with faith and defeated every single boss solo with faith build quite easily. Maybe play better?
And there are players that finished the game naked or without any weapons.
Doesn't change the fact Faith build is ass.

Duchess

I can understand what devs are getting at, but it should always be in the hands of the player.

You could just have a difficulty section with custom settings:

Enemy health: 100%
Enemy damage: 100%
Player damage: 100%
Player XP: 100%
etc.

Then, if players are finding the game too easy (or too hard), they go into the menu and change the scaling values. Too hard for you?

Enemy health: 50%
Enemy damage: 50%
Player damage: 150%
etc.

Too easy?

Enemy health: 150%
Enemy damage: 150%
Player damage: 50%
etc.

Values could go from 50% all the way up to 250%, with 10% increments. I'm sure that would keep more peeps happy.

killatopak

I can understand what devs are getting at, but it should always be in the hands of the player.

etc.

Then, if players are finding the game too easy (or too hard), they go into the menu and change the scaling values. Too hard for you?

etc.

Too easy?

etc.

Values could go from 50% all the way up to 250%, with 10% increments. I'm sure that would keep more peeps happy.
I doubt Fromsoft would suddenly introduce difficulty settings especially on a DLC. This will affect the base game as whole as well if implemented.

skneogaf

I started a new game plus run but am still near the beginning.

If there isn't a short cut which I hope there isn't then I'll have to at least reach Mohg.

I can't even remember how to get there 😅

Boralf

etc.

etc.

Too easy?

etc.

Difficulty levels really take away from the legitimacy of a game, especially in a game like this which is about overcoming challenges. Also if people talk about these challenges with each other, we all experienced the same (challenging) thing, which is a great feeling.

Difficulty sliders to me are an inability of the developer to properly balance their game, or to appeal to everyone. I think neither is the goal of FromSoft.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm sitting at the end of NG+4 with my Dex/Faith build, dual wielding Raptor Talons. I'll just trundle back to Mohg and go from there, I've never found him hard to beat.

Glad we don't have to go and beat Maliketh to enter the DLC!!

Lokaum D+

"where players are likely to be going in way overleveled, robbing themselves of the experience of facing truly challenging end game content."

DAFUQ ? i didnt play elden ring for 400+ hours to be trashed around by DLC bosses.

Me at DLC.

Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Top Bottom